Author Topic: Chuck Landon: Imagine MU hoops playing faster  (Read 6816 times)

Offline Buffalo Bop

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

Chuck Landon: Imagine MU hoops playing faster
« on: October 05, 2017, 09:32:50 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

Re: Chuck Landon: Imagine MU hoops playing faster
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:39:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • we will be faster!
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So for all the Chuck haters, what's wrong with this article? I enjoyed it. Chuck doesn't get a fair shake or credit for the amount of POSITIVE articles he writes. Some people are just overly sensitive.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, usedcars1, Collis P, herdorbust

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 11:36:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chuck is not pissed at DD.   Hamrick and Doc? Another story
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Big City, Scottyo614, MUther

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 11:43:09 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • How could you be pissed at DD. He is as open as anyone I have seen. He loves sharing everything with the fans and loves interacting with them. When you are at practice you don't feel like he is some elitist, but another fan that is enjoying the ride. The guy is about as laid back and comfortable in what he is doing as anyone I have ever been around.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline herd2win

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD has zero pressure at this stage in his life...he can walk away at any time...easy to be laid back when you are in that position.

Offline svherd

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD has zero pressure at this stage in his life...he can walk away at any time...easy to be laid back when you are in that position.

Agree. Hamrick would never fire DD. He could go 0-30 and it wouldn't happen. That would be death for Hamrick.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 12:09:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • May be true. But I don't think you understand DD. He would be that way if it was 15 years earlier. That is just who he is. He just loves taking one day at a time and enjoying the ride. He just doesn't get caught up in the outside static.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Always THE HERD

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Some people are overly negative, pessimistic, whiny a$$ed etc

Offline coalherd

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 08:23:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree. Hamrick would never fire DD. He could go 0-30 and it wouldn't happen. That would be death for Hamrick.
    :

One thing for sure:  an 0-30 record would probably be the death of MU basketball.  Only fans at the games in the CAM would be Danny's personal cheerleaders.   Such a record in the other "revenue" sport would certainly have serious repercussions for the whole Athletic Department, IMO.

Offline MUther

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 04:34:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • How could you be pissed at DD. He is as open as anyone I have seen. He loves sharing everything with the fans and loves interacting with them. When you are at practice you don't feel like he is some elitist, but another fan that is enjoying the ride. The guy is about as laid back and comfortable in what he is doing as anyone I have ever been around.

Simple, if DD told Chuck he didn't like the way he did his job and was reporting things that he didn't want to be reported and banned him from access to get further stories then Chuck would be mad at DD and everything wouldn't be sunny in Philadelphia. 

But the question was what's wrong with this article and he doesn't get enough credit for positive articles.  The answer was that DD hasn't angered him to the point he would only write negative articles about the bball program.  No one's mad at Dan.  Chuck doesn't write kindly about football because they've bumped heads too many times. 

I will say this, though.  When one has to make a point about a positive article from Landon amongst the many articles he writes, it's pretty much the exception that proves the rule.  If he wrote well and positive on Marshall athletics most of the time, there wouldn't be complaints about him.  Personally, I don't think a columnist has much business in sports.  I prefer a sports writer that reports facts and statistics and offers opinions with evidence to support those opinions.  Anyone can make up some stuff and say "cause that's the way it ought to be."  Smock has been wrong about Marshall a few times this year, but his reasoning was sound.  We're just better than most anticipated.  Doesn't mean there wasn't/isn't reason for concern.  Wrong is ok.   Drawing conclusions based on given information is ok.  Pulling crap out of thin air, not so much.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, 2xBison, wasbarryb, The E-Man

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 10:49:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Simple, if DD told Chuck he didn't like the way he did his job and was reporting things that he didn't want to be reported and banned him from access to get further stories then Chuck would be mad at DD and everything wouldn't be sunny in Philadelphia. 

But the question was what's wrong with this article and he doesn't get enough credit for positive articles.  The answer was that DD hasn't angered him to the point he would only write negative articles about the bball program.  No one's mad at Dan.  Chuck doesn't write kindly about football because they've bumped heads too many times. 

I will say this, though.  When one has to make a point about a positive article from Landon amongst the many articles he writes, it's pretty much the exception that proves the rule.  If he wrote well and positive on Marshall athletics most of the time, there wouldn't be complaints about him.  Personally, I don't think a columnist has much business in sports.  I prefer a sports writer that reports facts and statistics and offers opinions with evidence to support those opinions.  Anyone can make up some stuff and say "cause that's the way it ought to be."  Smock has been wrong about Marshall a few times this year, but his reasoning was sound.  We're just better than most anticipated.  Doesn't mean there wasn't/isn't reason for concern.  Wrong is ok.   Drawing conclusions based on given information is ok.  Pulling crap out of thin air, not so much.

Yes but there is 2 sides to every story. Maybe DD isn't so thin skinned that he tries to tell a writer what he wants them to write? I actually enjoy reading Chuck's articles. It gets tiresome listening to green Kool-Aid and NEVER getting the other side. Just like when Jirsa or Freeman was here. Loss after loss would pile up and all we heard from the talking heads was them trying to polish and find bright spots after every loss. I had a hard time dragging myself to basketball games and left at halftime on many of those. Being a fan or sportswriter is one thing. Being delusional is another. Everyone knows MU basketball is my thing. But if I see a coach and he isn't getting it done or only once or twice every 5-6 years and crashing and burning the other years I want a change. No green Kool-Aid from me even with MU BB. I can see with my own eyes if a coach has a boring style of play or has reached his limit in what he can do....example Greg White. Loved the guy, but he had done all he could do, and that is win more games than he lost, but was never going to get you beyond that.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, Always THE HERD, Collis P, THECHAMPISHERE

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 10:49:26 AM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 12:49:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • we will be faster!

Yes but will we be able to rebound and defend in the paint?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I honestly think we will be better in the paint defensively. We lost thompson and taylor. Thompson couldnt guard at all and taylor had bulk but was undersized. We will be quicker inside with more length. No it will take a few games for peneva, williams and kaljonin to mesh. But the biggest help will be the guards will keep the other team from penetrating compared to last year. We are a much quicker team this year.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 12:56:13 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let me take that last post back. Peneva, Williams and Bledsoe will take time to mesh. Bledsoe is coming on fast and furious. He was tremendous today and was the 3rd best player on the floor behind Jon and CJ. Bledsoe IMO had his best practice by far that I have watched since he has been at Marshall. He was scoring inside, outside, rebounding. He was bigtime active today. And CJ is going to have a breakout year. That kid is unstoppable. He has the total package. He can light it up from deep or he can take you to the rim and he is unbelievably quick. I'll go on record now as saying he and Jon is the best backcourt duo in CUSA. Bledsoe is working his way into playing time ahead of Kaljonin IMO. Dani is having a rough time picking up Dani's fastpace mental aspect of the game. He is still having to think way to much on what he needs to do.

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let me take that last post back. Peneva, Williams and Bledsoe will take time to mesh. Bledsoe is coming on fast and furious. He was tremendous today and was the 3rd best player on the floor behind Jon and CJ. Bledsoe IMO had his best practice by far that I have watched since he has been at Marshall. He was scoring inside, outside, rebounding. He was bigtime active today. And CJ is going to have a breakout year. That kid is unstoppable. He has the total package. He can light it up from deep or he can take you to the rim and he is unbelievably quick. I'll go on record now as saying he and Jon is the best backcourt duo in CUSA. Bledsoe is working his way into playing time ahead of Kaljonin IMO. Dani is having a rough time picking up Dani's fastpace mental aspect of the game. He is still having to think way to much on what he needs to do.

Interesting development...........thanks for the perspective!

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 01:45:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Very big for us if Bledsoe steps it up this year. 

Playing faster is only an advantage if your players are in better shape and have a deep enough bench to play under enough control that your offense and defense is not negatively affected by the fast pace, or you wear the other team down to where it affects their offense or defense capabilities.  Playing faster has to give you an advantage for it to make sense to do it.  We look to be playing mostly 10 players this season.

PG- Elmore, West
    G- Burks, George
    G- Watson, Thieneman
    F- Koljanin, Bledsoe
    F- Penava, Williams (Mijovic when a big body is needed)

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 01:51:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with herdorbust.  I too was at practice today and Bledsoe had a tremendous practice today, now if he can only continue to do so.  He is ahead of Koljanin at this point and today he was far better than Williams and Thineman.  Danny might consider playing three guards and Paneva.  Right now other than Paneva our bigs are struggling.  I hope folks don't get too frustrated but the first semester of play might be a little tough.  We should be a lot better and have a little more depth when Rhondale gets eligible.  Hang in there folks.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The thing about  playing fast is more than just up and down t floor. You have o think fast and the ball has to be out of your hand instantly with a shot or a pass. The ball has got to be moving at a rapid pace so the D can't recover. TRS I was actually shocked at how well Bledsoe looked today. He can be huge for us if he keeps coming on like that. And Big Bennett was really going after that bike today. Looks like he is already slimming down and he is still a manchild. That guy is a beast of a man!!!!

Offline herdadreh

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 03:34:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • New idea to play NCAA hoops faster. Home team gets to choose the shot clock duration for the game. Max 35 seconds, minimum 10 seconds. Everyone will play faster.

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 05:56:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with herdorbust.  I too was at practice today and Bledsoe had a tremendous practice today, now if he can only continue to do so.  He is ahead of Koljanin at this point and today he was far better than Williams and Thineman.  Danny might consider playing three guards and Paneva.  Right now other than Paneva our bigs are struggling.  I hope folks don't get too frustrated but the first semester of play might be a little tough.  We should be a lot better and have a little more depth when Rhondale gets eligible.  Hang in there folks.

TRS
    MU 71

Wow.....I love DD but this is a major F up. Elmore is a rare player and you have to maximize the chances one has with a player of his quality. Even worse he might go pro after this year

Go Herd!

Offline Herd2believe

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 06:01:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In his article a few days ago, Chuck said to keep an eye on Bledsoe and Ot Elmore. Bledsoe always reminded me of Ryan Taylor, sounds like he is really coming on. Heard DD on radio say Ot was the “surprise” of practice with his shooting. We definitely lost a great deal of shooting.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 06:01:03 PM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 07:39:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bledsoe reminds me a lot of Ryan Taylor. He is really coming on and just seems to have the "it" factor. Seems he is always around the ball and making things happen. He was unbelievable today. I don't think TRS was trying to say that Williams and others weren't doing well. But he has never played a minute D1 basketball. The kid is going to be really good once he gets his feet wet. That is why Herdmeister called him Randy Knoll to his face today. He will be that type of player. He and George and Bennett will be hard to deal with in the future. I would take those 3 together in a couple years in the front court over virtually anyone. And BTW did you all hear Mac Mcclung decomitted from Rutgers? Still have a shot!!!!

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I talked to the strength coach whom I really like, and he said that Bennett is losing weight and gaining some muscle mass.  If he continues to work hard in the weight room and begins to practice at the second semester he could be a real beast come next Fall.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 05:16:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I honestly have never seen a guy that age as huge as he is. And he isn't really carrying much fat. He is HUGE in his shoulders, arms and legs. He is like a mountain and pretty darn solid.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 05:16:49 PM »