Author Topic: CBS Sports Network announces 2017-18 CBB schedule  (Read 2038 times)

Offline MUsince96

CBS Sports Network announces 2017-18 CBB schedule
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-sports/releases/view?id=48677

I see 7 regular season games with C-USA teams. 5 of which are conference games. No Marshall games.

HerdFans.com

CBS Sports Network announces 2017-18 CBB schedule
    « on: October 11, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »

Offline MUonium

Re: CBS Sports Network announces 2017-18 CBB schedule
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:27:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • The game of Pitz, invented about 1000 years ago by the peoples of mesoamerica, influenced the development of modern basketball.

every single one of their games were broadcast by CABSSN, better known as the Central American Broadcast Service Sports Network.  Their slogan was "We put the A in CBSSN"

We think they had help from aliens (not the spanish as is commonly mistaken)

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 01:35:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 11 Herd games on national broadcast.

From Herdzone:

Oct. 11, 2017
    For the first time since the 2011-12 season, the men’s basketball team is scheduled to play in 11 nationally broadcast games this regular season, as Conference USA announced its league television schedule Wednesday afternoon.

“I’m very happy we get to expose our program in front of a national audience,” head coach Dan D’Antoni said. “I am very excited to showcase Marshall in 11 games, which is the most we’ve been scheduled for since I was hired here. Hopefully the fans will enjoy watching our team as much as I do.”

The Thundering Herd will be broadcast on ESPN3 when it hosts Louisiana Tech on Dec. 30 and again when it travels to Charlotte on Jan. 11. Stadium will showcase Marshall’s home-and-home with WKU on Jan. 6 and Jan. 27, along with its home contest against Old Dominion on Feb. 22 and its final game of the regular season at Middle Tennessee on March 3. BeIN will televise Marshall’s first contest vs. Middle Tennessee on Jan. 18 and its road games at UTSA on Feb. 1 and UAB on March 1.

This comes in addition to previously announced television games at Illinois (Big Ten Network Plus) on Nov. 19 and at Xavier (Fox Sports 1) on Dec. 19.

To date, More than 60 nationally-televised games featuring Conference USA teams have been announced as part of the initial schedule released.

National games will be televised this season on partners CBS Sports Network, beIN SPORTS and Stadium along with some selected games as part of tournaments and other conference’s television deals. Games on ESPN3 will streamed on its national platform. Additional coverage of C-USA basketball will also be available online through CUSA TV, the league’s official stream website.

Season tickets for the upcoming 2017-18 season are on sale now through the Marshall Athletic Ticket Office for as low as $10.00 per game, and season ticket renewals have been mailed. For more information, call the Marshall Athletic Ticket Office at (800) THE-HERD or by email at herdtickets@marshall.edu.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Awesome. Now since we've got the capability, let's keep the fan base engaged by putting the rest on ESPN3.

Even Iona College airs every home men's and women's game there. If they can we can. https://amp.lohud.com/amp/95527170

"Midway through the basketball season, Cole estimated that Iona broadcasts had reached more than 10 times the number of viewers than when they were streamed on the college's website."It's startling," he said. "The question was, why haven't we been doing this sooner, not why are we doing this now? When you're producing games, it's a window to the world."

The following users thanked this post: SuperAnjario

Offline svherd

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:16:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hell, hook up with Metro News. I watch Mountain East football games all the time on TV. Watched West Liberty and Notre Dame College last week. Production ain't bad. I'm sure they'll do the same for B'ball.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: MUsince96

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:18:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hell, hook up with Metro News. I watch Mountain East football games all the time on TV. Watched West Liberty and Notre Dame College last week. Production ain't bad. I'm sure they'll do the same for B'ball.

I've actually heard that was a pretty good production. Do they have an app or just through the website?

Online coalherd

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:09:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Since Metro News gives more coverage to the Mountain East than they do to MU, I doubt if they would be interested.

Sadly, I'd say about 75 per cent of the State population won't be able to watch most of MU's broadcasted games, 11 or whatever.  Other than ESPN3, most of the state doesn't get BEin, and the other "obscure" outlets.

And Hammy wonders why MU's fan base and game attendance remain essentially stagnant with basically no growth in either.

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 07:28:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • True. And putting revenue sports behind a paywall on "Herd Vision" isn't going to create any new interest that translates into ticket sales.

Offline jstherd

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 09:17:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree totally with coalherd. Most of those channels/networks are impossible to get. For example, when "stadium" is listed, what the heck does that give yo?. I'm in south Dayton with a premium sports package and all of the "other" channels on Spectrum (old Time Warner) and I have yet to watch a "stadium" game. I do get ESPN3, but lots of people don't. To state that MU will be on national tv 11 times is a big, big stretch. However, my name is Jimmy and I'll take what you gimmie. Those games I can get, I'll watch and enjoy.

Where does Herdvision come into the pictire - no punintended?

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree totally with coalherd. Most of those channels/networks are impossible to get. For example, when "stadium" is listed, what the heck does that give yo?. I'm in south Dayton with a premium sports package and all of the "other" channels on Spectrum (old Time Warner) and I have yet to watch a "stadium" game. I do get ESPN3, but lots of people don't. To state that MU will be on national tv 11 times is a big, big stretch. However, my name is Jimmy and I'll take what you gimmie. Those games I can get, I'll watch and enjoy.

Yeah, it is somewhat laughable the way they spin it.  To me BEIN and Stadium don't equal "nationally televised games."  Most of the nation can't get those channels even if they want them/are willing to pay for them.  Big Ten Network Plus is the streaming of non-televised games (but somehow this game is called nationally televised) and requires a paid subscription.

I love ESPN3 but I think it is a stretch to call that "nationally televised."

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:52:58 AM by HerdKelly »

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Herdvision is just a devil in a new dress. A repackaged CUSA.tv but only Herd sports instead of every C-USA team. Still $7 a game or $100 a year.

Also, if you want to catch games on Stadium and have a streaming device like a Roku. Download the free Pluto TV app or Twitter app. They both stream Stadium games.
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:58:10 AM by MUsince96 »

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdvision is just a devil in a new dress. A repackaged CUSA.tv but only Herd sports instead of every C-USA team. Still $7 a game or $100 a year.

Also, if you want to catch games on Stadium and have a streaming device like a Roku. Download the free Pluto TV app or Twitter app. They both stream Stadium games.

This isn't totally accurate.  Before we invested in the new equipment, we didn't even have the ability to self-produce ESPN3 quality content.  Now we do.  We just need to put more stuff on there.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »

Offline Apollo

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 10:16:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This isn't totally accurate.  Before we invested in the new equipment, we didn't even have the ability to self-produce ESPN3 quality content.  Now we do.  We just need to put more stuff on there.
    Lets make sure we use the correct phrasing there. We now have the equipment to stream through ESPN3, but I would not call what we do ESPN3 quality content. We have a long way to go to catch up to 2017. We're still in like 2002, if that.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lets make sure we use the correct phrasing there. We now have the equipment to stream through ESPN3, but I would not call what we do ESPN3 quality content. We have a long way to go to catch up to 2017. We're still in like 2002, if that.

We're self-producing this weekend's ESPN3 game. 

Offline Apollo

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We're self-producing this weekend's ESPN3 game.
    I just saw that. I just hope it looks better than the middle school productions we've had thus far.

The following users thanked this post: goherd14562

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just saw that. I just hope it looks better than the middle school productions we've had thus far.

It has to be what ESPN3 dictates so the quality has to be there.  DShoe can talk more about it.  He has explained it before. 

The following users thanked this post: Apollo, The E-Man

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just saw that. I just hope it looks better than the middle school productions we've had thus far.

The point is that we invested money in an attempt to get better and even be able to produce ESPN3 quality broadcasts.  Before we bought the new equipment, we couldn't.  I'm sure it will take time to get everything worked out, but even being able to distribute the game through ESPN3 is a big deal and a step in the right direction.  You have to meet certain criteria.  It's good that we finally can.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It has to be what ESPN3 dictates so the quality has to be there.  DShoe can talk more about it.  He has explained it before.

Exactly.  This will be very different than the Kent game.

Offline Apollo

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The point is that we invested money in an attempt to get better and even be able to produce ESPN3 quality broadcasts.  Before we bought the new equipment, we couldn't.  I'm sure it will take time to get everything worked out, but even being able to distribute the game through ESPN3 is a big deal and a step in the right direction.  You have to meet certain criteria.  It's good that we finally can.
    Definitely I agree and that's my whole opposition to the paid service of a HerdVision. They'd rather do that and make $35 on a few people than put everything on ESPN3 and increase exposure by 1000%. We do everything a day late, a dollar short, and 3 light bulbs out in the ceiling fan. Getting more exposure, building the programs will lead to more money down the line along with better recruits, higher enrollment. You can't do those things by limiting exposure. They handcuff the whole AD by doing crap like that and it kills me that they can keep a straight face when they say they want to see growth and expansion. Definitely a step in the right direction, but need to keep moving forward and not take two back next week as they usually do.
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:34:06 PM by Apollo »

The following users thanked this post: MUsince96

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 02:30:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Definitely I agree and that's my whole opposition to the paid service of a HerdVision. They'd rather do that and make $35 on a few people than put everything on ESPN3 and increase exposure by 1000%. We do everything a day late, a dollar short, and 3 light bulbs out in the ceiling fan. Getting more exposure, building the programs will lead to more money down the line along with better recruits, higher enrollment. You can do those things by limiting exposure. They handcuff the whole AD by doing crap like that and it kills me that they can keep a straight face when they say they want to see growth and expansion. Definitely a step in the right direction, but need to keep moving forward and not take two back next week as they usually do.

Exactly. Revenue sports are the front door to your university. Having easy, no hassle access to watching games is what keeps and creates new fans. And Marshall wants to put half of them behind a paywall on your computer.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 02:50:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Definitely I agree and that's my whole opposition to the paid service of a HerdVision. They'd rather do that and make $35 on a few people than put everything on ESPN3 and increase exposure by 1000%. We do everything a day late, a dollar short, and 3 light bulbs out in the ceiling fan. Getting more exposure, building the programs will lead to more money down the line along with better recruits, higher enrollment. You can't do those things by limiting exposure. They handcuff the whole AD by doing crap like that and it kills me that they can keep a straight face when they say they want to see growth and expansion. Definitely a step in the right direction, but need to keep moving forward and not take two back next week as they usually do.

I mean, outside of the Kent game, this was our only opportunity to go with ESPN3 and we did.  We just got the equipment, and we're hitting .500 on football games.  I think it will develop over time.  I also bet the athletic department sees the value in ESPN3.  It's new to us.  I'm happy we're giving it a chance and hopeful that it leads to more.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison

Online coalherd

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 03:01:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Exactly, jstherd.  I know for a fact that those games on "Stadium" are always hyped by the sports people on WCHS TV in Charleston and WVAH in Hurricane, the ABC and FOX affiliates in the Huntington Charleston market.  Apparently their company is somehow connected to "Stadium" in said market.

Now, other cable systems in southern WV carry both WVAH and WCHS so those viewers are often aware of the games on "Stadium".  But just where in the hell "Stadium" is found on the dial is another story.  Is it on one of the digital affiliates of WCHS/WVAH, like 8.2?  Not exactly clear and of course not found in any newspaper listings of local available tv.  That's why the fan frustration is so high, apparently not just locally, as fans everywhere scramble to figure just where in the hell these game telecasts are to be found!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 03:01:57 PM »

Offline Apollo

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 03:13:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I mean, outside of the Kent game, this was our only opportunity to go with ESPN3 and we did.  We just got the equipment, and we're hitting .500 on football games.  I think it will develop over time.  I also bet the athletic department sees the value in ESPN3.  It's new to us.  I'm happy we're giving it a chance and hopeful that it leads to more.
    No doubt man, I really hope so. Its a great opportunity to get the Marshall brand out there.

Offline herdfan93

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 04:02:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm pretty sure Stadium streams on Facebook?

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 05:30:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm pretty sure Stadium streams on Facebook?

Stadium will carry many games but on 15. I believe are on Facebook. I think 2 of the 15 are Marshall games. As we know one, Miami, has already be done.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 05:30:24 PM »