Author Topic: SHR: US News says...  (Read 2259 times)

Offline herdfan93

SHR: US News says...
« on: May 21, 2024, 11:07:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://realestate.usnews.com/places/west-virginia/huntington?

#86 best city to live in

#48 best places to retire

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, GreenDaddy

HerdFans.com

SHR: US News says...
    « on: May 21, 2024, 11:07:49 PM »

Online herdorbust2

Re: SHR: US News says...
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 11:16:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://realestate.usnews.com/places/west-virginia/huntington?

#86 best city to live in

#48 best places to retire

No way. Remember Huntington is a zombie town.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 12:39:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "We're Number 86 . . . We're Number 86! . . ." !! That surely should bring people desiring to move to, and live in, Huntington to the City by droves, full railroad cars, private vehicles streaming in both directions on I-64, etc., etc.

Yet, does anyone wanna bet that when the results of the 2030 Census are finally released, Huntington's population will NOT be even LOWER than that in the 2020 Census??

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2024, 05:37:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "We're Number 86 . . . We're Number 86! . . ." !! That surely should bring people desiring to move to, and live in, Huntington to the City by droves, full railroad cars, private vehicles streaming in both directions on I-64, etc., etc.

Yet, does anyone wanna bet that when the results of the 2030 Census are finally released, Huntington's population will NOT be even LOWER than that in the 2020 Census??

At least we are on the list. How many cities didn't make it? 100s?

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, GreenDaddy

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2024, 07:16:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Do you live in Huntington? 

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 07:59:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• No way. Remember Huntington is a zombie town.

I am hopeful Ferrell wins and can do something about the drug issues. yes, every city has them but Williams totally ignored the issue. Tired of hearing some call us little Detroit and think it's a crime ridden Gotham town. Excited about Marshall's growth, some new business coming in, LG, Nucor and others. Great parks, top notch museum, etc. Would love to the city population grow. This next administration needs to get it right. I like my hometown!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, GreenDaddy, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Online GreenDaddy

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2024, 08:09:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am hopeful Ferrell wins and can do something about the drug issues. yes, every city has them but Williams totally ignored the issue. Tired of hearing some call us little Detroit and think it's a crime ridden Gotham town. Excited about Marshall's growth, some new business coming in, LG, Nucor and others. Great parks, top notch museum, etc. Would love to the city population grow. This next administration needs to get it right. I like my hometown!

A good combo of the right Mayor and President Brad Smith and Huntington could very well reverse its population trend. Getting the drug house issue under control should be a top priority.

I had read other places that Huntington approved a $2 million street scape project that will totally transform the area around the innovation district. I can't wait to see the finished product when everything gets built and the business move in.

I would imagine that Huntington's issues stick out more to all us that grew up around here than it would to people that isn't from here. Someone moving in from a large city where the homelessness crisis is out of control and real estate prices are through the roof would probably find Huntingtons affordability and park systems as a favorable place to live. Time will tell, but I can see things trending in an overall positive direction.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, svherd

Online Johns1124

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2024, 08:43:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Before you pat yourselves on the back you better look at the top of that list.

#21 Fayetteville AR?
    #22 SF?  (Was no longer)
    #34 Buffalo, NY?   

Good god..

#41 Portland, OR
    #48 McAllen Tx the city right across from the cartel capital of Mexico; Reynosa.

Defiently questionable names on the upper tier of that list.

Online bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #8 on: May 22, 2024, 08:45:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I had read other places that Huntington approved a $2 million street scape project that will totally transform the area around the innovation district. I can't wait to see the finished product when everything gets built and the business move in.

A two million dollar streetscape project is likely to be a few shrubs or something. A million dollars in construction doesn't go very far.

I am all for Huntington being a great place. I don't know if I just recall it sentimentally or if it's true, but I enjoyed the Huntington of my youth. It didn't have much to offer me as an adult but I still return pretty often and love the city.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2024, 09:19:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am hopeful Ferrell wins and can do something about the drug issues. yes, every city has them but Williams totally ignored the issue. Tired of hearing some call us little Detroit and think it's a crime ridden Gotham town. Excited about Marshall's growth, some new business coming in, LG, Nucor and others. Great parks, top notch museum, etc. Would love to the city population grow. This next administration needs to get it right. I like my hometown!

Under SW's leadership, the city sued a group rehab house to keep it (and others) out of residential areas, and the assigned judge ruled against Huntington because the residents had a disability that had to be reasonably accommodated.  The city tried to limit the homes, but couldn't.

To say that SW ignored the issue is ludicrous.   
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Online bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #10 on: May 22, 2024, 09:40:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Under SW's leadership, the city sued a group rehab house to keep it (and others) out of residential areas, and the assigned judge ruled against Huntington because the residents had a disability that had to be reasonably accommodated.  The city tried to limit the homes, but couldn't.

As an outside observer, I thought Williams seemed to do a good job...it's just a thorny issue.

Offline svherd

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2024, 11:55:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Under SW's leadership, the city sued a group rehab house to keep it (and others) out of residential areas, and the assigned judge ruled against Huntington because the residents had a disability that had to be reasonably accommodated.  The city tried to limit the homes, but couldn't.

It took Rohrbach and Tarr to push legislation to regulate and certify any homes. The city had no recourse in limiting the number of homes setting up shop? I find that hard to believe. If he really wanted to curtail the influx of sober living homes, he should have taken steps years ago to get legislation passed where we could deny these homes being established or greatly restrict their existence.  Maybe Steve liked all the funds that came from the Fed to help with treatment.
    « Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 12:12:53 PM by svherd »

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2024, 11:55:02 AM »

Online elginherd

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2024, 12:45:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It took Rohrbach and Tarr to push legislation to regulate and certify any homes. The city had no recourse in limiting the number of homes setting up shop? I find that hard to believe. If he really wanted to curtail the influx of sober living homes, he should have taken steps years ago to get legislation passed where we could deny these homes being established or greatly restrict their existence.  Maybe Steve liked all the funds that came from the Fed to help with treatment.

Williams, as a mayor, is not a member of the legislature. The only steps he could take would as an advocate...and if you haven't noticed, the WV legislature hasn't exactly been productive the last several years.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline svherd

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2024, 12:52:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Williams, as a mayor, is not a member of the legislature. The only steps he could take would as an advocate...and if you haven't noticed, the WV legislature hasn't exactly been productive the last several years.

I realize that. But my point is, it took a local legislator to push it through. If Williams was truly passionate about combatting the problem, he would have pushed for such measures long before now. jmo.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Sir Herd

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2024, 01:18:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Should be Number 1 just for Tudor's and the Frostop alone tbh.

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2024, 09:03:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Williams, as a mayor, is not a member of the legislature. The only steps he could take would as an advocate...and if you haven't noticed, the WV legislature hasn't exactly been productive the last several years.

The legislature hasn?t been productive? Seriously?

Don?t get me wrong, I wish they would move faster in terms of fixing the 86 years of Democrat control which left us in this mess, but they have definitely been productive (although slower than most of us would like).

Nucor alone would be considered productive. That?s not counting all the other businesses which have moved to WV over the last few years.

We are on pace to completely eliminate the state income tax as well. It?s already passed legislature and we are currently on pace to get another reduction next year.

As for Williams, he has not ignored the drug issue in Huntington. Even worse, he has embraced it and made it part of his plan to ?create jobs? in Huntington.

The one thing I will give credit to the Williams administration for is I think the city, under his watch, has done a great job in tearing down the old, abandoned, dilapidated buildings in the city. I think most of us (myself included) are forgetting and/or underestimating how much this has changed the city in a positive way. We still have a ways to go, but they have put a major dent in the buildings that need to be torn down in the city.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2024, 09:23:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• The legislature hasn?t been productive? Seriously?

Don?t get me wrong, I wish they would move faster in terms of fixing the 86 years of Democrat control which left us in this mess, but they have definitely been productive (although slower than most of us would like).

Nucor alone would be considered productive. That?s not counting all the other businesses which have moved to WV over the last few years.

We are on pace to completely eliminate the state income tax as well. It?s already passed legislature and we are currently on pace to get another reduction next year.

As for Williams, he has not ignored the drug issue in Huntington. Even worse, he has embraced it and made it part of his plan to ?create jobs? in Huntington.

The one thing I will give credit to the Williams administration for is I think the city, under his watch, has done a great job in tearing down the old, abandoned, dilapidated buildings in the city. I think most of us (myself included) are forgetting and/or underestimating how much this has changed the city in a positive way. We still have a ways to go, but they have put a major dent in the buildings that need to be torn down in the city.

I'd encourage you to make an appointment with Steve and talk to him about the City's response to the drug issue.  You are wrong in your assessment.

Also, no way in heck the legislature gets rid of the income tax.  40% of the budget comes from that source (more in 2025 b/c of the reduction in severance tax revenue) and while the legislature and Governor played around with a graduated reduction in the tax, it was never going to pass b/c there's no other source of revenue to replace it.  2 years ago, the legislature tried to increase sales/service taxes to make up some of the difference and I lobbied against that so I know of which I speak.

- E-Man

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2024, 10:53:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd encourage you to make an appointment with Steve and talk to him about the City's response to the drug issue.  You are wrong in your assessment.

Also, no way in heck the legislature gets rid of the income tax.  40% of the budget comes from that source (more in 2025 b/c of the reduction in severance tax revenue) and while the legislature and Governor played around with a graduated reduction in the tax, it was never going to pass b/c there's no other source of revenue to replace it.  2 years ago, the legislature tried to increase sales/service taxes to make up some of the difference and I lobbied against that so I know of which I speak.

You are wrong but it?s ok.

Go Herd!

Offline sardistim

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2024, 11:02:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd encourage you to make an appointment with Steve and talk to him about the City's response to the drug issue.  You are wrong in your assessment.

Recently spent over an hour with Steve and you are exactly right.  When you look at the Huntington now compared to 12 years ago, there is a vast improvement.  One of the best things he has done is to bring different stake holders together and worked to find solutions.

Would we like Huntington to be above #86, sure.  But to make the top 100 that's on average 2 cities for every state.  That's not bad.  And to where would Huntington have been a decade ago?  Moving up is better.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, goherd73, herdfan93, elginherd

Online elginherd

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2024, 11:18:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• The legislature hasn?t been productive? Seriously?

Nucor was not the legislature.
    In fact some of Republicans in the legislature actively works to thwart how Nucor wants to power
    the plant.

No, Mark isn't wrong
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2024, 01:29:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nucor was not the legislature.
    In fact some of Republicans in the legislature actively works to thwart how Nucor wants to power
    the plant.

No, Mark isn't wrong

It was 100% the legislature. Nucor is on the record even saying as much. Openly said right to work and some of the other things our recent legislature has passed were big reasons they chose to come here.

Same goes for many other businesses. We went from one of the worst states in the country in terms of being business friendly to one of the top 10 states in the country for being business friendly.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline svherd

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2024, 07:56:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What really bugs me are the comments about Huntington when this story hit the press - Little Detroit, Can't send my kids to Marshall - too dangerous, dirty town, crime infested, etc.

Where do these ideas come from? The city has a huge image problem. I respect my fellow posters but the next mayor better play hard ball on the drug issue and put the hammer down! Who the hell would want to move here reading comments like the above. Gotta get that fixed!

A google search of the most dangerous cities in WV will turn up that Charleston and Beckley are often seen by statistics as the most dangerous, I saw Wheeling as number 1 on one crime site. Then you have South Charleston, Martinsburg, Parkersburg, Clarksburg. Huntington, Morgantown.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Flat Tire 2, GreenDaddy, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2024, 07:56:15 AM »

Offline BuckHerd

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2024, 08:25:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Drug usage in Huntington? Mayor Steve Williams? Look no further than his support for the Needle Exchange program which he supports...all the way! Isn't that  like catnip to cats? Don't make the city "comfortable" for drug users. Compassion? How compassionate is it to allow or even encourage the use of these illegal drugs until they overdose and die? If they stop the needle exchange, it's been proven that they will migrate to cities where the needles are given away. Tadaa!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Buffalo Bop, herdfan129, herdorbust2, Sir Herd

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2024, 09:29:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Drug usage in Huntington? Mayor Steve Williams? Look no further than his support for the Needle Exchange program which he supports...all the way! Isn't that  like catnip to cats? Don't make the city "comfortable" for drug users. Compassion? How compassionate is it to allow or even encourage the use of these illegal drugs until they overdose and die? If they stop the needle exchange, it's been proven that they will migrate to cities where the needles are given away. Tadaa!

A couple of things... the needle exchange program is part of the Cabell-Huntington Health Department, not the city.  The city has influence over the department, but doesn't run it.

Secondly, Danny Jones made a big deal about ending the needle exchange program in Charleston and it didn't end illicit use of drugs in Charleston.  All it did was launch a huge Hepatitis and Aids epidemic that Charleston is still dealing with.  Huntington has avoided that aspect of needle sharing, for the most part, specifically b/c of the needle exchange program.   

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: goherd73

Offline svherd

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2024, 09:40:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A couple of things... the needle exchange program is part of the Cabell-Huntington Health Department, not the city.  The city has influence over the department, but doesn't run it.

Secondly, Danny Jones made a big deal about ending the needle exchange program in Charleston and it didn't end illicit use of drugs in Charleston.  All it did was launch a huge Hepatitis and Aids epidemic that Charleston is still dealing with.  Huntington has avoided that aspect of needle sharing, for the most part, specifically b/c of the needle exchange program.

Didn't Huntington have an outbreak of HIV cases a few years ago as well. I think I recall that. Its been proven, needle exchange does not work for the most part, Just brings others in from outside the city - something we don't need and can't manage. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2024, 09:40:23 AM »