Author Topic: SHR: US News says...  (Read 2320 times)

Offline svherd

Re: SHR: US News says...
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2024, 01:49:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watch Yeager, Clarksburg and even the Beckley airport expand and/or add flights while the idiots at HTS twiddle their thumbs and hope Allegiant doesn't pull out. Pitiful!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2024, 01:49:15 PM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2024, 01:51:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Beautiful homes for cheap in Huntington.  Great place

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline coalherd

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2024, 04:48:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For those delusional souls on here, and you know who you are, who sadly believe that Huntington/Cabell County are GROWING, check out a March 16/17 2024 HD Media article by Jim Ross on the latest population info from the Census Bureau.

"Cabell County, which once was the second largest in the state behind Kanawha and which has since fallen to fourth behind Berkeley and Monongalia, went from 94,347 in 2020 to 92,082 in 2023.  That's a loss of 2,265 people or 2.4%."

Now you don't have to be a math wizard like Einstein, or even a young Sheldon Lee Cooper, to realize that if that trend continues by the end of this decade Cabell County will have lost another 4500 folks or more, and thus be below 90,000!!  As for Huntington, well no doubt its population will have also shrunk further, but the plethora of needles, free or otherwise, on the streets or in use in the alleys and riverbanks, will have increased exponentially!!!

As for populations, besides Lexington, KY, check out the figures for places not all that distant from Huntington like Roanoke, VA, and Johnson City, TN.  Note what they were, compared to Huntington, in 1950 and 1960, for example, and then compare all of them today.  And for those, again delusional, souls who want to blame the location of I-64 being "so far" outside the City and thus "inconvenient" for everyone in Huntington, again note the location of the major East-West interstate, I-81, running by Roanoke and Johnson City, which is a lot farther outside the City Proper in both places than I-64 is in Huntington.  But somehow both Cities have GROWN in the decades since the 50s and 60s, maybe even PROSPERED, instead of decaying and drying up like Huntington!!!

What's the difference??  Could it be the prevailing mindsets in said cities?  Too many in Huntington have had obsessions on the City's PAST, wanting to worship it incessantly, even, in some/many cases, wanting to relive it!!  Went to MU decades ago and knew a journalism student who later worked for the Huntington papers for years.  He wrote a weekly column which was entitled, IIRC, "Yesterday".  It mainly was a picture and article of some past Huntington business, industry, etc., which was no longer around.  Amazingly, at least to me, is that decades later, currently the Huntington paper STILL contains a similar article, now entitled "Lost Huntington"!!  Again, I guess, because so many in the City love and worship what was in the past!!  If only MORE in the City were as passionate and concerned about the City's FUTURE, and were fervently INVOLVED in making it a Positive, Hopeful and Prosperous future for all of the City's people, stakeholders, etc.!!

Let's hope that among those seeking the City's leadership post as Mayor, there are such people really concerned with Economic growth and other positive betterment and growth aspects of the City overall!!
    « Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 01:20:13 AM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2024, 05:32:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For those delusional souls on here, and you know who you are, who sadly believe that Huntington/Cabell County are GROWING, check out a March 16/17 2024 HD Media article by Jim Ross on the latest population info from the Census Bureau.

"Cabell County, which once was the second largest in the state behind Kanawha and which has since fallen to fourth behind Berkeley and Monongalia, went from 94,347 in 2020 to 92,082 in 2023.  That's a loss of 2,265 people or 2.4%."

Now you don't have to be a math wizard like Einstein, or even a young Sheldon Lee Cooper, to realize that if that trend continues by the end of this decade Cabell County will have lost another 4500 folks or more, and thus be below 90,000!!  As for Huntington, well no doubt its population will have also shrunk further, but the plethora of needles, free or otherwise, on the streets or in use in the alleys and riverbanks, will have increased exponentially!!!

As for populations, besides Lexington, KY, check out the figures for places not all that distant from Huntington like Roanoke, VA, and Johnson City, TN.  Note what they were, compared to Huntington, in 1950 and 1960, for example, and then compare all of them today.  And for those, again delusional, souls who want to blame the location of I-64 being "so far" outside the City and thus "inconvenient" for everyone in Huntington, again note the location of the major East-West interstate, I-81, running by Roanoke and Johnson City, which is a lot farther outside the City Proper in both places than I-64 is in Huntington.  But somehow both Cities have GROWN in the decades since the 50s and 60s, maybe even PROSPERED, instead of decaying and drying up like Huntington!!!

What's the difference??  Could it be the prevailing mindsets in said cities?  Too many in Huntington have had obsessions on the City's PAST, wanting to worship it incessantly, even, in some/many cases, wanting to relieve it!!  Went to MU decades ago and knew a journalism student who later worked for the Huntington papers for years.  He wrote a weekly column which was entitled, IIRC, "Yesterday".  It mainly was a picture and article of some past Huntington business, industry, etc., which was no longer around.  Amazingly, at least to me, is that decades later, currently the Huntington paper STILL contains a similar article, now entitled "Lost Huntington"!!  Again, I guess, because so many in the City love and worship what was in the past!!  If only MORE in the City were as passionate and concerned about the City's FUTURE, and were fervently INVOLVED in making it a Positive, Hopeful and Prosperous future for all of the City's people, stakeholders, etc.!!

Let's hope that among those seeking the City's leadership post as Mayor, there are such people really concerned with Economic growth and other positive betterment and growth aspects of the City overall!!

It hasn't been growing just like most of WV. I just said I love this area and wouldn't go anywhere else. But over the last few years WV is becoming more attractive. Lowered the income tax, got ready of PP tax and new manufacturing has been coming in. I expect there will be a reversal in population decline if they keep doing more of what they have in the last few years. For to long WV was controlled by tax tax tax politicians. Hopefully they keep making it more friendly for people to live and do business here.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2024, 05:32:42 PM »