Author Topic: Recruiting for Basketball  (Read 16334 times)

Offline herd2win

Re: Recruiting for Basketball
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2024, 08:49:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For me it is very simple.  Corny accepted the job knowing the condition of any NIL money and also as Dans recruiter should have had contacts to get new recruits.  His job is to win games and not make excuses.

Some of you are already making excuses because Corny has not don't anything in 2 months to make us think he was a good choice.  We should have gone with one of the proven coaches.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, muherd34, miltonherdfan, mubowhunter, herdfan129, Herdalum94, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2024, 08:49:32 AM »

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2024, 09:01:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Two quick guards capable of putting up 35 PPG between them should make us competitive in the SBC. Not faves but .500 / competitive. Iron out OAK's game and if Fricks can make a few shots this year.

Hopefully someone can tell Oak that it?s ok to tame it down around the rim on offense.  He?s like a center fielder throwing to home when he?s within 5? of the rim.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2024, 09:05:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some keep posting that the problem with recruiting is that we don't have the NIL money to give basketball players. Does anyone know how much NIL we gave to Dawson to transfer to Marshall? Are high school recruits expecting NIL money? Did we give NIL money to the two incoming freshmen?

Does anyone how much NIL money the SBC or MAC schools are giving to players since they comparable to Marshall's level? I can understand the power schools throwing money at good players, but I have a hard time believing that mid majors and low majors are throwing large amounts of money at players. A lot of those programs fund their programs off of student fees and don't have good attendance. Are you telling me that all of a sudden these schools are flush with money to give players NIL money?

I do realize that Marshall gave money or cars to players back when Dan played for Marshall so Dan shouldn't have been surprised by NIL. It is just legal now with the NCAA. I realize that aren't as many car dealers in Huntington back when Dan played at Marshall. LOL Huff got some sort of NIL up and running fairly quickly. Why does basketball seemed to be lost when it comes to NIL?

Players can ask for the moon when it comes to asking for big NIL money. But sooner or later they will realize that mid and low majors are not going to give it to them.

I am not trying to be negative. I would just like to see some concrete information on Marshall and NIL. Basketball has always seem to have excuses for not being a better program. The list includes a practice facility; charter flights and now NIL. At some point it might be that the problem is with the coaches?
    « Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 09:25:10 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2024, 09:14:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Collegiate sports will never be the same.  This NHR article shows why.  Third school in 4 years and will be making just less than DOUBLE the NBA rookie minimum. 
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40137329/great-osobor-transferring-washington-big-nil-deals

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2024, 09:19:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven't been told that about Touissant, but I haven't asked either.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2024, 09:23:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For me it is very simple.  Corny accepted the job knowing the condition of any NIL money and also as Dans recruiter should have had contacts to get new recruits.  His job is to win games and not make excuses.

Some of you are already making excuses because Corny has not don't anything in 2 months to make us think he was a good choice.  We should have gone with one of the proven coaches.

Agree and people want it both ways. But what they are saying makes no sense. We keep hearing once the NIL gets up and running next year we will be ok. Really? So we will have money to replace Oak and Martin AND a bunch of new guards but can't find money now just for a couple guards? Either they can come up with enough money for a couple good guards or we are screwed forever trying to build the whole roster every year down the road. If there are enough people willing to throw money at a NIL fund in a year then I'm sure that could find enough people to buy 2 guards now. It will always be excuses from Marshall.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2024, 09:23:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree didn?t shoot much - scored when needed - much tougher competition - better team on - played defense - passed the ball.

Pitts was way better

Anyone that thinks Pitts was sub-par should watch the entirety of the game at Cincinnati when he, basically, beat the Bearcats on his own.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: yogiherd, svherd, wlf, overherd1

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2024, 09:23:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Collegiate sports will never be the same.  This NHR article shows why.  Third school in 4 years and will be making just less than DOUBLE the NBA rookie minimum. 
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40137329/great-osobor-transferring-washington-big-nil-deals

Correct. As others have posted the power schools are leaving the rest of us behind. I am at the point I don't care anymore. One would be better off just being a pro sports fan. At least the pro teams don't ask you to donate to the program besides buying tickets.

Maybe the the whole problem will sort itself it out in a few years and we can start over. There is no way the SBC and MAC teams will compete with the power schools.

The following users thanked this post: wlf, herdorbust2

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2024, 09:25:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven't been told that about Touissant, but I haven't asked either.

Do t you want to know? Seems pretty important to me if CJ is willing to keep Pruett, Nutter and Braun and then bring back Toussaint. Sounds like more of the same. But maybe they just need a body since they can't find people that will come.

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, herdfan129

Offline Collis P

« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2024, 09:32:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some keep posting that the problem with recruiting is that we don't have the NIL money to give basketball players. Does anyone know how much NIL we gave to Dawson to transfer to Marshall? Are high school recruits expecting NIL money? Did we give NIL money to the two incoming freshmen?

Does anyone how much NIL money the SBC or MAC schools are giving to players since they comparable to Marshall's level? I can understand the power schools throwing money at good players, but I have a hard time believing that mid majors and low majors are throwing large amounts of money at players. A lot of those programs fund their programs off of student fees and don't have good attendance. Are you telling me that all of a sudden these schools are flush with money to give players NIL money?

I do realize that Marshall gave money or cars to players back when Dan played for Marshall so Dan shouldn't have been surprised by NIL. It is just legal now with the NCAA. I realize that aren't as many car dealers in Huntington back when Dan played at Marshall. LOL Huff got some sort of NIL up and running fairly quickly. Why does basketball seemed to be lost when it comes to NIL?

Players can ask for the moon when it comes to asking for big NIL money. But sooner or later they will realize that mid and low majors are not going to give it to them.

I am not trying to be negative. I would just like to see some concrete information on Marshall and NIL. Basketball has always seem to have excuses for not being a better program. The list includes a practice facility; charter flights and now NIL. At some point it might be that problem with the coaches?

FT2 - some good questions that I also don't understand (As I am not in the loop)  -  How does the football team receive 20 plus transfers as well as transfers from WBB, Softball, Baseball and some Olympic sports!!   and the Basketball cannot even get a couple guards....  Something is definitely not apples and oranges !!   You can throw darts at the administration, at minimal NIL $ or Coaches........   

Opinions!!
    S M I L E -

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop, herdorbust2

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2024, 09:54:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IF Toussant were to be brought back, that would mean that either Braun/Pruett would be moving to a walk on spot.   We have 2 scholarships to give, and both are going to guards.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline whf

« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2024, 10:05:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Do t you want to know? Seems pretty important to me if CJ is willing to keep Pruett, Nutter and Braun and then bring back Toussaint. Sounds like more of the same. But maybe they just need a body since they can't find people that will come.
    Sometimes it isn't who you have, its more about how you use them.  I think Corny will surprise us all, maybe not year one, but we'll be having fun in the CAM again soon, IMHO.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, chris88, overherd1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2024, 10:05:38 AM »

Offline chris88

« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2024, 10:35:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unlike many, i have no fomo (fear of missing out) on players who have signed elsewhere. IMO, the G5 programs handing out money will mostly lose on their investments as most G5 leagues are one bid leagues. I still say whoever we end up signing will be comparable to many, if not most, of the guys cashing in on the extortion circuit. Then most of those guys who have decent or better years will be back into the portal again next year. The teams with the best coaches in each league will still be the winners of most of those leagues and at some point many donors will realize that they have better things to do with their money.

Most agree that Huff has done a pretty good job using the portal...at least on paper. What has it gotten us? Finishes below predicted each of last two years. If we are better this year it will likely be do in large part to a new offensive coord. and better scheme.

Thankfully our best program will announce season ticket renewals and schedule this week. Anxious to see who Grassie is able to get on non-conf schedule.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Skidude, svherd, ru4mu2, luckytoes99

Offline MUonium

« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2024, 04:04:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • for me, to sum it up at this point-

all i can do is wait and hope CJ hits two homeruns with the final scholarships for a regular chance to succeed.  however, in the face of NIL, i have no clue how significant the 13 scholarships are (except MU right now it seems).

not sure how i feel about Toussaint returning, if true, only because it looks like we might need another big forward (for basic D and as a foul trouble sub) if we can't get any better from the portal- although scorers/guards are a priority.

i've come to grudgingly accept the reality that the schedule may not ever be near as good as we'd like, with few exceptions and rarely, a really good one at home.  the norm OOC opponents who are close by, 2 or 3 paydays, 2 or 3 usually good mid majors and a few nobodies who just might embarrass us.

i always expect (with few exceptions) returning players to come off summer better than before.  DD (and HIS players) had a less than avg to avg record here which is not acceptable to me.  to the point, i want especially to see the seniors and Fricks show us something worthwhile.  i expect the newcomers (all players) to, at the least, have fire in their bellies (like Nutter) at all times.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Always THE HERD, chris88, overherd1

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2024, 07:10:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sometimes it isn't who you have, its more about how you use them.  I think Corny will surprise us all, maybe not year one, but we'll be having fun in the CAM again soon, IMHO.

You always have to have talent.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, wlf, MicDrass1

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2024, 07:13:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust2

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2024, 09:14:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Toussant is not returning.     

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2024, 11:25:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• You always have to have talent.

Talented players if stick around long enough have their shining wow time. Talent & work ethic together is unstoppable except for injury and lousy cosching.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2024, 03:00:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We're visiting with a very talented D1 transfer PG this week.    Appears to be reasonable on the NIL front.   It's amazing as some/most of these kids are still asking for 75K and above...

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Herdhomer, Buffalo Bop, GreenDaddy, overherd1, MicDrass1, herdorbust2

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2024, 04:12:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unlike many, i have no fomo (fear of missing out) on players who have signed elsewhere. IMO, the G5 programs handing out money will mostly lose on their investments as most G5 leagues are one bid leagues. I still say whoever we end up signing will be comparable to many, if not most, of the guys cashing in on the extortion circuit. Then most of those guys who have decent or better years will be back into the portal again next year. The teams with the best coaches in each league will still be the winners of most of those leagues and at some point many donors will realize that they have better things to do with their money.

Most agree that Huff has done a pretty good job using the portal...at least on paper. What has it gotten us? Finishes below predicted each of last two years. If we are better this year it will likely be do in large part to a new offensive coord. and better scheme.

Thankfully our best program will announce season ticket renewals and schedule this week. Anxious to see who Grassie is able to get on non-conf schedule.
    Huff may bring many transfers in, BUT MANY are only here for a VERY short time and transfer right back out. Look at the records, it pretty obvious.

Offline scope58

« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2024, 04:46:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sometimes it isn't who you have, its more about how you use them.  I think Corny will surprise us all, maybe not year one, but we'll be having fun in the CAM again soon, IMHO.
    That remains to be seen. So far , I'm seeing two 6-5 brothers that averaged 13 points a game against NAIA comp. Nothe same kind of level in competition.Two guards should be the first thing on his list.He hasn?t proven anything as a recruiter yet, let alone coach.
    « Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 04:48:49 PM by scope58 »

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2024, 04:56:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That remains to be seen. So far , I'm seeing two 6-5 brothers that averaged 13 points a game against NAIA comp. Nothe same kind of level in competition.Two guards should be the first thing on his list.He hasn?t proven anything as a recruiter yet, let alone coach.

These last 2 spots are going to determine if I get season tickets again. They have to be exciting gets for me to buy again. I think the team can be very competitive if these 2 are difference makers. But I'm not wasting $500 to watch a bad product.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, scope58

HerdFans.com

« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2024, 04:56:36 PM »

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2024, 06:08:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline whf

« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2024, 10:43:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• These last 2 spots are going to determine if I get season tickets again. They have to be exciting gets for me to buy again. I think the team can be very competitive if these 2 are difference makers. But I'm not wasting $500 to watch a bad product.
    Everyone will have to make their own choice, I decided to do all I can by attending when I can to help Corny succeed in years two and three; and if he can, many more years to come. I hope we both get to attend.................

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, horsrman

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2024, 09:33:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everyone will have to make their own choice, I decided to do all I can by attending when I can to help Corny succeed in years two and three; and if he can, many more years to come. I hope we both get to attend.................

Some of you still think you are building teams by saying year 2-3. Year 2 will be tougher than this year. He won't have Oak and Martin to build around. He will basically be recruited an entire team year 2. This is the year he needs to succeed.

The following users thanked this post: muherd34, Flat Tire 2, wlf, miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2024, 09:33:09 AM »