Author Topic: Recruiting for Basketball  (Read 23059 times)

Garbanjo and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline coalherd

Re: Recruiting for Basketball
« Reply #300 on: May 25, 2024, 07:59:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: The Right Stuff link=topic=118060.msg1065081#msg1065081 date=1716405628"
    Charles Jones was from Stuart Fla.

TRS
    MU 71
    [/quote

Anyone else remember that monster "Thunder Dunk" that Jones did before a crammed, totally packed house at the CAM the night his mother sang the National Anthem?  If you don't, this might help jog your "aging" memories:  It was the night WVU still had the stones to come to Huntington back in the day when Gale "The Cat" Catlett was the EER Head Coach.  CJ's big dunk brought the House down, setting the tone for a big HERD W, sending the EERS, and The Cat back to the Hole with their tails dragging between their legs!!  Easily one of the loudest, and wildest MU basketball crowds this old HERD Fan has personally experienced in over four decades plus the House of CAM has been in existence!!!!

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

HerdFans.com

« Reply #300 on: May 25, 2024, 07:59:07 PM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #301 on: May 25, 2024, 08:06:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why in the world would you bring in non qualifiers in this open transfer and nil world?

So a person gets eligible here and then hits the portal...no thanks and the reason we don't go after them in either sports anymore.

That way we know we at least signed good players and better chance they stay more than one year.  We are signing the bottom tier 1 and done anyways that are eligible.  Roll the dice.  Scholarship 10 or 11 and NQ 2 every year.

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #302 on: May 26, 2024, 01:53:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That way we know we at least signed good players and better chance they stay more than one year.  We are signing the bottom tier 1 and done anyways that are eligible.  Roll the dice.  Scholarship 10 or 11 and NQ 2 every year.

Yeah Marshall isn't going to waste school resources (nor should they) of helping get players eligible and then immediately go to the portal without ever playing a minute to help the team. Zero benefit and all the risk with no guarantee on Marshall's end. At least previously, even if a player transferred after becoming eligible, they had to sit out...not now.

Coaches are having to build for a season and season only with the mindset their best players can or will leave.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Always THE HERD, miltonherdfan, Herdalum94, HerdFan2026

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #303 on: May 26, 2024, 04:02:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes, I remember.  CJ took off from the foul line.  Should have flown mama up here for every game!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, wlf, coalherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #304 on: May 26, 2024, 05:58:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes, I remember.  CJ took off from the foul line.  Should have flown mama up here for every game!

I have a framed picture of him dunking over Blaney of WVU, Awesome photo.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: wlf, coalherd

Offline wlf

« Reply #305 on: May 28, 2024, 07:40:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Basketball before the Athletic Department undercut the program. I know the pissing contest and the reporting of infractions , but it could have been handled differently and was at other schools.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline bighat

« Reply #306 on: May 28, 2024, 08:23:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dean of students had top player living with him at the time.  Skip Henderson.

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #307 on: May 28, 2024, 04:50:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dean of students had top player living with him at the time.  Skip Henderson.

And in today?s Sloe Joe it would be completely acceptable

Offline bighat

« Reply #308 on: May 29, 2024, 10:43:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The school said they were unaware of violations.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #309 on: May 29, 2024, 11:34:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The school said they were unaware of violations.

For the 1990 probation?   It was common knowledge.  There were some of us in the Tip-Off Club that raised the rumors at a meeting before Rick got let go in 1989. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #310 on: May 29, 2024, 02:55:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sorry head coaches having to cheat to win.  Very common. 

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #311 on: May 29, 2024, 05:10:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some of the best head coaches cheat and win as well.    Very few programs, if any...abide by all of the rules....

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #311 on: May 29, 2024, 05:10:22 PM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #312 on: May 30, 2024, 10:03:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's been real quiet on basketball recruiting. Any updates on the final recruit?

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Offline scope58

« Reply #313 on: May 30, 2024, 11:26:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's been real quiet on basketball recruiting. Any updates on the final recruit?
    Saw that Florida Atlantic offered recently to our latest recruit.. Not looking good.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #314 on: May 30, 2024, 11:47:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Saw that Florida Atlantic offered recently to our latest recruit.. Not looking good.

And it is only about one hour drive or 60 miles or so from his home.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #315 on: May 30, 2024, 12:08:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Such a bummer because I believe we are one good PG away from having a really good team.

Online yogiherd

« Reply #316 on: May 30, 2024, 08:45:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • any news  on who gets the last scholarship--high school or transfer from portal?
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #317 on: May 31, 2024, 11:07:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's currently "dead period."   No recruits are allowed in for visits.  I believe this ends on June 2nd.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, yogiherd, Buffalo Bop, overherd1

Offline scope58

« Reply #318 on: May 31, 2024, 12:10:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's currently "dead period."   No recruits are allowed in for visits.  I believe this ends on June 2nd.
    Sorry for this last post. I need to keep my mouth shut and give him a chance. Hopefully it will all work out. Just miss them being competitive.
    « Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 03:17:23 PM by scope58 »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #319 on: June 06, 2024, 06:47:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's starting to look more and more like we aren't getting that difference maker PG we all wanted. I guess anything can happen but we are well into June now.

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #320 on: June 06, 2024, 06:52:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's starting to look more and more like we aren't getting that difference maker PG we all wanted. I guess anything can happen but we are well into June now.

Braun will finally show out this year.  We?re set!

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #321 on: June 06, 2024, 08:14:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Are we looking at Blake Barkley from Northwestern (who lived in Morgantown too).
    Saw that some of our coaches were liking his comment that he is about to announce where he is transferring to. All of the Marshall coaches (that use social media, so everyone excluding Cline) are following him as well. Looks like Fulford recruited him while at Akron.

He isn't a guard obviously, but maybe something has changed.
    « Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 08:18:59 AM by MUfan08 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop

HerdFans.com

« Reply #321 on: June 06, 2024, 08:14:14 AM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #322 on: June 06, 2024, 08:21:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I spoke to a family member of Rob Fulfords yesterday about him coming on board and why he left Akron. The family member told me that Rob was happy to be back and recruiting hard. I asked about our NIL, the person said we were behind most schools but working on it. He told me a story about the kid Akron signed from UNC, their most prized recruit to date.
    Said the kid wanted 125K to come to Akron. Akron countered with 100K and the kid signed. The kid got 80K and his agent 20K.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline chris88

« Reply #323 on: June 06, 2024, 08:29:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I spoke to a family member of Rob Fulfords yesterday about him coming on board and why he left Akron. The family member told me that Rob was happy to be back and recruiting hard. I asked about our NIL, the person said we were behind most schools but working on it. He told me a story about the kid Akron signed from UNC, their most prized recruit to date.
    Said the kid wanted 125K to come to Akron. Akron countered with 100K and the kid signed. The kid got 80K and his agent 20K.

And if they don't go to NCAAs and he bolts, how likely will same donors be to pony up again?
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Offline elginherd

« Reply #324 on: June 06, 2024, 10:13:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

That player's agent is very expensive. 20% is a lot.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, wlf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #324 on: June 06, 2024, 10:13:54 AM »