Author Topic: Link for Corny 'introduction' press conference - 11:30 am April 3 (Wednesday)  (Read 1260 times)

Offline marshallmark

"Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

HerdFans.com

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks, I am guessing we will be able to watch it later on youtube?

Offline marshallmark

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks, I am guessing we will be able to watch it later on youtube?

On the same link, to the right, there's cached press conferences from Danny so I'm assuming this one will just be added to that list. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline thunderingon

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Excited! Excited for the Cornelius Jackson era. Herdnation needs to get behind him.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, whf, horsrman, Surbadger

Offline MUonium

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • well, it was short, basically scripted and as an intro, understandably short on details about and how it will be different basketball.  an example of similarity will be how big men will continue to be multidimensional or 'full court', not confined to the paint players.

i'm curious which players were in the stands besides Obinna, who was mentioned by Corny.

all the usual program standards tropes where highlighted by Corny (character, loyalty, etc).

however, like most of you, i believe a player can have charactor, personality flare, etc, without haveing to necessarily be a 'choir boy'

i think recruiting will improve but how quickly is unknown

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Flat Tire 2, herdorbust2

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  A few quick takeaways. The praise for Dan was a little over the top. If Dan was so great, why was he let go?

It sounds like he is going to use Dan's offense? Corny talking about a  having 7 footer that can dribble almost made me cringe. The 7"4' center from Purdue, can't dribble but he can play. He did seem to say that the defense will change and be more aggressive, that is good to hear. Hopefully he can recruit better than Dan. It was great to hear him embrace the portal and using JC players. He doesn't seem to be afraid of the changes in college sports.

His comment about the win and loses total not being the most important thing was a little unsettling. I thought he made too much about the character issue of the players. I want him to run a clean program and have players that stay out of jail. Wins and loses are very important to the fans. The last thing we need is a Rev2 of Dan as our coach.

I hope Corny can get away from Dan's shadow and be able to run his own program with his own philosophy of coaching. I wish him luck and success. We should know the results fairly quickly.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 12:29:13 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, MUonium, overherd1

Offline thunderingon

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A few quick takeaways. The praise for Dan was a little over the top. If Dan was so great, why was he let go?

Dan was a great coach. His problems were with adjusting to the changing landscape of college athletics, portal, etc. He still has forgotten more basketball than most of us will ever know. And he took the program places it has never been. Stop being a hater.  Corny has other basketball influences that he mentioned that we will see. Defensive toughness is one that I expect and there will be obvious changes offensively, but if he adopts some of the DD philosophies, that will be a good thing!

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline marshallmark

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan was a great coach. His problems were with adjusting to the changing landscape of college athletics, portal, etc. He still has forgotten more basketball than most of us will ever know. And he took the program places it has never been. Stop being a hater.  Corny has other basketball influences that he mentioned that we will see. Defensive toughness is one that I expect and there will be obvious changes offensively, but if he adopts some of the DD philosophies, that will be a good thing!

its simplistic, but I totally agree.  Under the old system, I fully expected that Dan would be top 1/2 of the SunBelt with an occasional run at the title for years.  The transfer portal and NIL is a sea change he wasn't able to embrace.  My $0.02.

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: GreenSteve, horsrman

Offline Buffalo Bop

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan was a great coach. His problems were with adjusting to the changing landscape of college athletics, portal, etc. He still has forgotten more basketball than most of us will ever know. And he took the program places it has never been. Stop being a hater.  Corny has other basketball influences that he mentioned that we will see. Defensive toughness is one that I expect and there will be obvious changes offensively, but if he adopts some of the DD philosophies, that will be a good thing!

C'mon man. Dan was not a "Great" coach. He won 2 consequential games. Please don't make him out to be something he wasn't. The last time I looked he led his high school team to 0 state championships. No hate, just giving the facts.
    « Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 12:58:27 PM by Ovaltine Jenkins »

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, parshall2marshall

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Excited! Excited for the Cornelius Jackson era. Herdnation needs to get behind him.

I hope Corny is successful and agree Herd fans need to get behind him and support him

It's Corny's program now so he has his shot

Make the most of it man

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, chris88, overherd1, herdorbust2

Offline girthyherdon

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan was a great coach.
    By what metric? Good person, maybe. Great coach, no.

HerdFans.com

Offline HoPPy785

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I personally don't think Dan's style of play is a problem and would like to continue it, with some tweaks. Dan's problems were mostly recruiting and talent related. If you gave Dan a loaded roster, his offense would do very well in my opinion.

Corny obviously loves Marshall and won't fail for lack of effort. If he can bring in the recruits Dan couldn't and tweak some things (especially defense and physicality), then he could turn it around and keep the Hillbilly Ball brand going. I'm behind him until proven otherwise.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, horsrman, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Dan had the one magic season where we caught lightening in a bottle. I don't think he is a great coach and his record proves it. He wasn't a great high school coach either (only one trip to a state championship game lost). His college record is 177-148 with a very weak OCC schedule. He has never beaten a team from a P5 major conference.  He would have never had a college coaching position except for Marshall. He was never offered or considered for another college coaching job. Those are facts.

Just because I don't worship at the altar of Dan doesn't mean I am a "hater". I have watched him too many times getting lost in a game and never make adjustments or use his timeouts. He was constantly outcoached.  I base my opinion on facts and not an emotional attachment to a personality. Sorry, if you can't handle a different critique.

Offline FilmJunky

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Spears has a crush on Brad Smith

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I personally don't think Dan's style of play is a problem and would like to continue it, with some tweaks. Dan's problems were mostly recruiting and talent related. If you gave Dan a loaded roster, his offense would do very well in my opinion.

Corny obviously loves Marshall and won't fail for lack of effort. If he can bring in the recruits Dan couldn't and tweak some things (especially defense and physicality), then he could turn it around and keep the Hillbilly Ball brand going. I'm behind him until proven otherwise.

In addition to much better recruiting, have to make improvements in:

Shot selection, defense and rebounding, weight and agility training, film study, etc.

Quite a lot of improvements needed to contend for Sun Belt titles

The following users thanked this post: chris88, luckytoes99

Offline Buffalo Bop

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Offline MUonium

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • what say you, Herdmeister? 

Offline chris88

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Classy comments by DD:

"Herd family, my message to our team is a quote from a Snoopy comic strip: 'It's not the destination; it's who you are riding with,'" D'Antoni said. "I want to thank the many players, staff and Herd faithful for the wonderful ride you gave me. My hope is that I gave you some memories that make you smile along the way.

"My car is not pulling out of Huntington and I hope to see you as we support Marshall, the Tri-State, West Virginia and, of course, our new head coach. I'm so proud of Corny! He's going to be great for our Thundering Herd!"
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really have high hopes for Corny. I think he will correct the things that held Danny back. I like that Corny said he would run the same offensive system. The offensive system is great if you have the guards and athletes to run it. And corny will be more determined to make the defense better. I like that he said they would be more aggressive and get more up into you. The reason I got so frustrated with Danny was not that he couldn't get it done but wouldn't recruit what he needed and just threw scholarships out to way to many projects and non athletes. He simply wouldn't get out of his own way. You get the guards that can create, dish and shoot running this offense and demand guys play better D and teach fundamentals then the SB is there to take. Just look at all the offers they have been making? All are athletic and quick. Get 2-3 guards and 2-3 swing players that can create, drive and shoot to go along with Oak and Martin and we will win the SB. I think Corny will be a good one.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, chris88, GreenDaddy, herdfan129

Offline svherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wish him the best and much success. He knows we need players and what has to be done to win the belt. It's on him now.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, GreenDaddy, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline Buffalo Bop

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On the Drive with Paul Swann show, Corny said he has 5 scholarships to give and 3 are going to guards. He said that is the main need right now. And then add maybe a 4 or 5. He wants to build the team around Oak and Martin. Corny said he is looking to recruit players that work hard, smart and play together. 

https://x.com/PaulSwann/status/1775649292557963410?s=20

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, luckytoes99

HerdFans.com

Online 2xBison

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really have high hopes for Corny. I think he will correct the things that held Danny back. I like that Corny said he would run the same offensive system. The offensive system is great if you have the guards and athletes to run it. And corny will be more determined to make the defense better. I like that he said they would be more aggressive and get more up into you. The reason I got so frustrated with Danny was not that he couldn't get it done but wouldn't recruit what he needed and just threw scholarships out to way to many projects and non athletes. He simply wouldn't get out of his own way. You get the guards that can create, dish and shoot running this offense and demand guys play better D and teach fundamentals then the SB is there to take. Just look at all the offers they have been making? All are athletic and quick. Get 2-3 guards and 2-3 swing players that can create, drive and shoot to go along with Oak and Martin and we will win the SB. I think Corny will be a good one.
    Bust, you crazy and we've had our ups and downs here, but you are on it and have been for the last 15-18 months or so.

I agree.  I have high hopes for Corny (I would any new coach) and do think he will get some players.  DD main problem roster mgt on front end and back end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, lexkyherdfan, ru4mu2, herdorbust2

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On the Drive with Paul Swann show, Corny said he has 5 scholarships to give and 3 are going to guards. He said that is the main need right now. And then add maybe a 4 or 5. He wants to build the team around Oak and Martin. Corny said he is looking to recruit players that work hard, smart and play together. 

https://x.com/PaulSwann/status/1775649292557963410?s=20

Makes Corny's job tougher by not moving some guys on, but it's his show now and has to live with his choices.

Can't miss on any of the 5 if we are gonna compete next year imo.

Current roster:

Obinna
    Martin
    Fricks
    Moore
    Harding
    Nutter
    Pruett
    Braun

The following users thanked this post: elginherd, herdorbust2

Online Always THE HERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope it becomes a good hire (more wins, less losses, tougher scheduling at home, etc.).
    I don't wish anything greater for CJ than I did DD.
    Time is the only thing that will tell with this.

HerdFans.com