Author Topic: Recruiting for Basketball  (Read 22912 times)

Herdiowa, wlf, HerdFan2026, jdonaccbus, scope58 and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online herdorbust2

Re: Recruiting for Basketball
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2024, 05:28:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now get a scoring 2 guard and let's play ball.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2024, 05:28:07 PM »

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #201 on: May 19, 2024, 05:34:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2024, 05:53:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just read on the WV recruiting site that they had contacted him also. Said he was a talented guard.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop

Online jdonaccbus

« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2024, 06:06:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is a much better upgrade than how we tried to play the point this past season. I will take a guy that scored 15-16 ppg at a lower level of D1. I don't think any one can complain about that. He does seem heady with the ball in the open floor and can find an open man.

I don't know how he can defend. He looks athletic enough to be taught a good defensive system. Only thing I would like to see improve is assist-to-turnover ratio which can happen.

He looks like a real good get for us at a position of high need.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, herdorbust2

Offline coalherd

« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2024, 06:25:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FWIW: Pete Moe has signed with D2 Barry.
    https://gobarrybucs.com/news/2024/5/15/mens-basketball-adds-d-i-post-transfer-pete-moe.aspx

I know several longtime ticket holders who have dropped/dropping their season basketball tickets. Some have told me that that were taking a wait and see attitude and others are just not happy with the new coach selection process. It is their and money and I don't think it is anyone business what they do with their money.

Well. sort of confirms what many have said that DD and staff had recruited too many non D1 caliber players.  Wonder if Danny personally recruited, "sealed the deal" with Moe?

Online MUfan08

« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2024, 06:43:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just read on the WV recruiting site that they had contacted him also. Said he was a talented guard.

https://x.com/JamieShaw5/status/1782934830352568519

This was back in April when he first entered the portal

Online MUfan08

« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2024, 06:48:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well. sort of confirms what many have said that DD and staff had recruited too many non D1 caliber players.  Wonder if Danny personally recruited, "sealed the deal" with Moe?

Does it matter?

Moe was a walk-on that never saw the court last year and was just a practice body.

A lot of things to get upset with Dan regarding scholarships over the years, but Moe wasn't one of them.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2024, 07:23:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • might be the best guard newcomer yet although Dawson could be good and maybe the true FR Moore as a longshot.  good assists avg and 3pt % to go along with good scoring avg.  noticed he was listed as a grad student on the FL A&M website- does he have just 1 year to play, like Dawson?

Online MUfan08

« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2024, 07:51:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Martin
    Obinna
    Dawson
    Speer
    Gibbs
    Gibbs
    Fricks
    Nutter
    Moore
    Harding

Pruett
    Braun

So we have one more scholarship to give. Just from the videos we now have a PG (yay) and think we are more athletic than we were last year especially at the guard and three (which isn't saying much with last year's team). We do not have much depth or experience at the C/F if Obinna or Martin get hurt or foul trouble, but our size wasn't useful last year either.

Think Moore will push for rotational time and be the dark horse for us.

Optimistic for next year, but LOVE that Corny and group is actually out recruiting and trying to improve the team (way too much over the years of not wanting to over recruit to not hurt feelings).

Hopefully our S&C program will be utilized by Corny and we see some built (ex: Fricks, Nutter, Pruett) and not just being able to do a 5K.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2024, 07:53:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Martin
    Obinna
    Dawson
    Speer
    Gibbs
    Gibbs
    Fricks
    Nutter
    Moore
    Harding

Pruett
    Braun

So we have one more scholarship to give. Just from the videos we now have a PG (yay) and think we are more athletic than we were last year especially at the guard and three (which isn't saying much with last year's team). We do not have much depth or experience at the C/F if Obinna or Martin get hurt or foul trouble, but our size wasn't useful last year either.

Think Moore will push for rotational time and be the dark horse for us.

Optimistic for next year, but LOVE that Corny and group is actually out recruiting and trying to improve the team (way too much over the years of not wanting to over recruit to not hurt feelings).

Hopefully our S&C program will be utilized by Corny and we see some built (ex: Fricks, Nutter, Pruett) and not just being able to do a 5K.

Great post and very accurate.

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2024, 08:20:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have 2 more visitors set for early this coming week.   Wednesday starts the dead period, so it's hopeful we can get a commitment early on this week.   Go Herd.

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2024, 08:37:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Be nice to have (3) scholarships to give

HerdFans.com

« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2024, 08:37:05 PM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #212 on: May 19, 2024, 10:21:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So imo the starting lineup may look like this
    Martin
    Obinna
    Dawson or one of the Gibbs
    ?? Hopefully a player to be naned
    Speer

First off bench
    Either both Gibbs or one Gibbs and Dawson
    Fricks
    Nutter
    Moore

I think Corny will put a much better defensive team on the floor. Not only because he is recruiting quickness and athletes but he has already said he wants to tighten it up and get up in their grill more. Offensively I think Martin is a very solid player. If Corny can get Obinna to reign in his game and play more inside 10-12 feet he will be a much better player. And hopefully the new kids like to attack the rim aggressively while still playing the same spread offense. I honestly think Corny sees what a lot of fans saw. And that is Danny's offense is very good if there are some areas of does and don't instead of just letting them play completely how they want. Get one more good scoring guard and we can be very competitive in the SB.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08

Online 2xBison

« Reply #213 on: May 20, 2024, 07:46:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well. sort of confirms what many have said that DD and staff had recruited too many non D1 caliber players.  Wonder if Danny personally recruited, "sealed the deal" with Moe?
    Moe was a walk on so....there is plenty to criticize DD recruiting but I don't think we need to go into walk ons.  Silly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, Always THE HERD

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #214 on: May 20, 2024, 08:08:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd like to see Corny get a quick, scoring combo guard for the last scholarship. Then if another scholarship opens up, get best available player.

Hiring a top recruiting assistant and landing a good PG is a big step forward.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08

Offline Sir Herd

« Reply #215 on: May 20, 2024, 09:22:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need some more scoring in general and yes a decent guard will help with that. Call me crazy but I do not think we are that far off from a tourney team, if things start clicking a bit more and Jackson is as good as we hope he can be; he has the knowledge.

Also on a side note here: First post and very happy to be here! Master's degree from Marshall back in 2014 and love being part of the Herd. Also a special education teacher.

Lastly, I see some posters have their own avatar. How do I go about getting one of my own? Have to contribute monetarily to the site? Apologies if missed it anywhere.

Thanks!

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #216 on: May 20, 2024, 09:29:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need some more scoring in general and yes a decent guard will help with that. Call me crazy but I do not think we are that far off from a tourney team, if things start clicking a bit more and Jackson is as good as we hope he can be; he has the knowledge.

Also on a side note here: First post and very happy to be here! Master's degree from Marshall back in 2014 and love being part of the Herd. Also a special education teacher.

Lastly, I see some posters have their own avatar. How do I go about getting one of my own? Have to contribute monetarily to the site? Apologies if missed it anywhere.

Thanks!

Welcome! Great to see new posters coming on and contributing. I don't know about the avatar but access to the premium board here is only $12/year.

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #217 on: May 20, 2024, 10:05:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Thanks!

If we land a great combo guard I think we can contend for Sun Belt title.

Anyone know if Corny has implemented a new strength and conditioning program? Mandatory film sessions? Mandatory shooting and free throw practice?

If we make those changes and play better D we can contend this year imo

Go Herd!

Offline MUonium

« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2024, 10:08:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i've seen figure$ suggesting 40, 50, 60K average pay to transfers.  how much are the Herd NIL contributors paying Speer?

Online MUfan08

« Reply #219 on: May 20, 2024, 10:20:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i've seen figure$ suggesting 40, 50, 60K average pay to transfers.  how much are the Herd NIL contributors paying Speer?

With those collective groups being private and not required to release details....

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2024, 11:07:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Guys, we watch film and have watched film almost every day.   Practice and game film.   Watching film has not been the issue.  Lack of depth, and lack of athletic talent has been.  Recruiting guys that can actually shoot the basketball, instead of trying to turn kids into shooters.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, jsbowen, wlf, herdorbust2

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #221 on: May 20, 2024, 11:10:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Martaz Robinson still out there?   Nearly 17ppg & 7+ boards a game as a guard.  Physical guard. 
    « Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 11:17:33 AM by MicDrass1 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #221 on: May 20, 2024, 11:10:44 AM »

Offline MUonium

« Reply #222 on: May 20, 2024, 11:28:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it's one thing to be positive.  it's entirely another to suggest we'll win the SBC or be a tourney team without even seeing the final roster,  or seeing a game!   in any other walk of life, that what's called emotionally unstable, wish washy, flip flopping or flat out, insane.

hope our last scholarship and potential walk-on/NIL spots are winners

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #223 on: May 20, 2024, 11:51:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Guys, we watch film and have watched film almost every day.   Practice and game film.   Watching film has not been the issue.  Lack of depth, and lack of athletic talent has been.  Recruiting guys that can actually shoot the basketball, instead of trying to turn kids into shooters.

Cool

Strength program has been terrible. Plain to see over the DD tenure.

Go Herd!

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #224 on: May 20, 2024, 11:53:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we land a great combo guard I think we can contend for Sun Belt title.

Anyone know if Corny has implemented a new strength and conditioning program? Mandatory film sessions? Mandatory shooting and free throw practice?

If we make those changes and play better D we can contend this year imo

Go Herd!

As 222 said film and shooting practice wasn't the problem. They probably put up more shots than any team in the country. But you have to recruit to your style and Danny didn't do that. Some of his recruits were total head scratchers. If Danny got a kid on his mind he wanted then there was no changing his mind no matter how bad the kid was. And if he got in his mind he didn't want a kid then there was no changing his mind no matter how good the kid was. At least Corny isn't going after kids that are just slow and skinny anymore. And I'm very interested how we look defensively and how involved he is coaching on game days. Corny has a lot of experience. He has learned a lot from Danny's offensive spreading and movement (Dans good part) and he was under Gary waters who was a defensive coach.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, wlf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #224 on: May 20, 2024, 11:53:32 AM »