Author Topic: What do you think of playing UConn in the Myrtle Beach Bowl?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Head Coach
  • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
What do you think of playing UConn in the Myrtle Beach Bowl?
« on: December 04, 2022, 09:21:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On Dec 23rd

HerdFans.com

What do you think of playing UConn in the Myrtle Beach Bowl?
    « on: December 04, 2022, 09:21:49 PM »

Offline MUonium

Re: What do you think of playing UConn in the Myrtle Beach Bowl?
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 09:54:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • once upon a time we couldn't get a bowl and we badly wanted one.

we finally got them and the first few were great- i was grateful to get a seat at the adult table, we took advantage and made us all proud.

fast forward and i'm appreciative that our team is rewarded, gets to enjoy experience another and that we get the extra practices.  personally, i'm not enthused.  i don't care much about UConn, but i'll watch as i do every FB, BB and other MU events that i like.  need a win to carry over momentum and keep players on the roster.  GO HERD

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Big City, parshall2marshall

Offline mckayt

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 10:02:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On Dec 23rd

I think it would be much better if the game was on the 23rd.  Monday the 19th at 2:30 PM?  Who is watching that?

The following users thanked this post: MUsince96

Offline BerkshireHerdFan

• All American
    • Former Football Student Manager 2002-2004
    « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 10:26:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think it would be much better if the game was on the 23rd.  Monday the 19th at 2:30 PM?  Who is watching that?

918k  people watched last year between Tulsa and ODU
    Knightdale NC

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 11:13:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Meh. A chance to go 9-4.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 11:41:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lol. All the sun belt bowls SUCK right now. Hopefully we get better ones in the future. 8-4 is another mediocre season with a bad bowl before christmas on a monday afternoon, against a bad opponent. You got one chance to do anything that matters where we are, and it's gotta be an undefeated or max 1 loss against a quality opponent to do it in football to have a chance. We had a chance to do that this season and blew it.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 08:09:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't have a huge problem with it. May drive down since it's on the 19th.

I prefer UConn to MTSU or Ohio. I think they will be more than a challenge than many people feel. Mora has done a good job there.

Offline muherd34

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 08:14:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't have a huge problem with it. May drive down since it's on the 19th.

I prefer UConn to MTSU or Ohio. I think they will be more than a challenge than many people feel. Mora has done a good job there.

Uconn is going to be tougher than most expect.  Respect your opponent and we need a win to stop the slide we are on in bowl games.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, svherd, mu79grad, ed swain, MicDrass1

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 08:33:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not much but its another game

Online svherd

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 08:52:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The bowl is 3 years old. Last years attendance was a whopping 6557 to watch ODU lose to Tulsa - according the the HD.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline tomv

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 09:09:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't care about the opponent, it's a bowl game and one that is easy for fans to get to, so hoping for a good turnout from Herd fans.  If it were indeed on the 23rd I'd make a hard effort at attending, but with it being on the 19th I can't make it happen.  Really wish I could go, but will be watching.

After the bottom falling out this season the team has shown improvement and is playing their best ball at the end of the season... I can get behind that and looking forward to them capping off the season with a W and momentum going into next season.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline puma

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 09:12:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The location is good but the date, time, and opponent is kind of disappointing.

Outside of UTSA and Houston, all of the Sun Belt bowl tie-ins and opponents aren't terribly exciting. I think it's kind of a given that Marshall or another Eastern team would get the Myrtle Beach Bowl. We really should have beaten BGSU and Louisiana if wanted a better opponent. I guess on the plus side we could be playing Rice (5-7).

After realignment, changes to the playoff, and new media contracts, I suspect some big changes will be coming to the whole bowl system in the next couple of years.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, MUonium

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 09:12:28 AM »

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2022, 09:22:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd by a trillion

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2022, 09:23:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The location is good but the date, time, and opponent is kind of disappointing.

Outside of UTSA and Houston, all of the Sun Belt bowl tie-ins and opponents aren't terribly exciting. I think it's kind of a given that Marshall or another Eastern team would get the Myrtle Beach Bowl. We really should have beaten BGSU and Louisiana if wanted a better opponent. I guess on the plus side we could be playing Rice (5-7).

After realignment, changes to the playoff, and new media contracts, I suspect some big changes will be coming to the whole bowl system in the next couple of years.

I was thinking in another post that maybe the SBC screwed the newest members of the conference with bad opponents. Maybe location played a role since Southern Miss is playing in Mobile and we are in Conway. Ohio U is playing Wyoming in Tucson AZ and the game is going to be streamed over Barstool. There are worst bowls than the one in Conway.

I look at this bowl as an opportunity for more practices and game experience for Francher.
    « Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 09:30:32 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, chris88, The E-Man

Offline GreenSteve

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2022, 04:27:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Happy to have it! We could be sitting at home, like our neighbors to the north.

I also like UCONN as an opponent. It beats somebody we've been in a conference with for a while like Ohio, or Western KY. And don't sleep on UCONN...they beat Fresno St, Boston College, and Liberty. So they can be dangerous.

GreenSteve
    "The world is full of crackers and belly-button rings..." - Blue Tip - The Cars.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, 2xBison, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop

Offline BerkshireHerdFan

• All American
    « Reply #15 on: December 05, 2022, 04:54:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Happy to have it! We could be sitting at home, like our neighbors to the north.

I also like UCONN as an opponent. It beats somebody we've been in a conference with for a while like Ohio, or Western KY. And don't sleep on UCONN...they beat Fresno St, Boston College, and Liberty. So they can be dangerous.

GreenSteve

Don't forget UCONN  is SOOOO Bad  we killed the by a score of 16-10  back in 2015.  Not even close!
    Knightdale NC

Offline BipolarFan

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2022, 05:13:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Bowl system is so broken. a 5-7 team in a bowl game? This is why no one gives a F about bowls anymore. I remember teams finishing 8-3 and holding their breath for a minor bowl game, now everyone gets in. It is like participation trophies. F this sh_t. F this bowl. I'll be working.

The following users thanked this post: MUonium

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2022, 05:55:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Once the hopes of a NY 6 bowl game slipped away I'm not sure what the folks that are disappointed in the bowl game are disappointed about.  We all knew what bowls the Sub Belt had ties with and who the prospective opponents were or at least the quality of the prospective opponents.   

Be happy we get to watch the Herd play one more game.  Hopefully, the extra practice will pay off next year and the bowl exposure will help recruiting.   

Online herdfifteen

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2022, 06:34:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd opens as a 9.5 favorite. That is hardly overwhelming.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2022, 09:27:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, for (1) It is a bowl, a positive event for the players on the team, especially newcomers who've never had the experience, and certainly for the program beats NOT going to a bowl. (2) We have a 3-game bowl losing streak dating back to Doc's days, and in the words of another former HC, "We've got to get that fixed"! ;) (3) It would give Coach Huff his FIRST bowl championship, give MU a 9-4 season record which indicates improvement and an upward trend under Huff and his staff in Season 2!  (4)  Would be a positive, considering #3, heading into off-season recruiting through next summer for Coach Huff and Staff, and (5) Should give the program overall, including the Fan Base, a boost and positive good feeling overall about HERD Football heading into the 2023 season, when we have a very strong OOC schedule, including ECU, ACC foe NC State, both on the road, and another known ACC team, VA Tech, at the JOAN!!  Also, SBC Champions is scheduled to play in Huntington also!!  WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE??

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, whf, The E-Man

Offline mckayt

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2022, 10:05:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 918k  people watched last year between Tulsa and ODU

People watching from their office?  Weirdest time and day. Glad we're playing though.

Offline BerkshireHerdFan

• All American
    « Reply #21 on: December 06, 2022, 07:03:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People watching from their office?  Weirdest time and day. Glad we're playing though.

6 Days before Christmas,  lots of people take the week off. I know I have a lot of directs needing to use it or lose it with vacation time before end of year.

I wish it was 2 days later though  so my wife could come to the game, school is still in on Monday & Tuesday.
    « Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 07:05:54 AM by BerkshireHerdFan »
    Knightdale NC

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2022, 07:03:26 AM »

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2022, 03:39:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • UConn in Myrtle Beach Dec. 23rd?
    Beats the hell out of being in some place like Morganhole for the holidays.

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

Offline MUther

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2022, 04:57:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd opens as a 9.5 favorite. That is hardly overwhelming.

9.5 points in a G5 vs G5 spread is actually pretty big.  This isn't Charlotte vs Alabama.  G5 spreads are usually <7.  So everyone is taking Marshall.  But anyone outside the fans only knows we beat ND and are 8-4.  They don't know we've massively struggled on offense at times and can be Jekyl and Hyde.  I think we're past most of that, but I could see a sluggish start and an uphill battle to get the lead.  A Georgia State type game.  Hopefully everybody is ready to play when the game starts this time and we just roll.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2022, 04:57:04 PM »