Author Topic: MU football notebook: Offense sees success beyond scoreboard  (Read 1119 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
MU football notebook: Offense sees success beyond scoreboard
« on: October 11, 2017, 05:28:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Marshall didn't score many points Saturday in a 14-3 victory at Charlotte, but for Brown and the offensive unit, the successes of the day went well beyond points.

"It's not really hard for us to look past the points," Brown said. "We look at the win-loss column. We don't care how we won and we don't care if it's by one or by 50. There's no style points in winning or losing. That's not what we're worried about. Being able to run the ball consistently and have efficient runs - get four yards a carry each time - that's what we needed."

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall_sports/mu-football-notebook-offense-sees-success-beyond-scoreboard/article_f600f360-8f8b-5613-a05b-0c20be002755.html

HerdFans.com

MU football notebook: Offense sees success beyond scoreboard
    « on: October 11, 2017, 05:28:03 AM »

Offline HERDFAN1999

Re: MU football notebook: Offense sees success beyond scoreboard
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:42:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm proud of our team and glad we've won four games.  Our guys have clearly worked hard.  But style points do matter.  Just watch any of the selection shows.  And exciting teams help to put the casual fans in the seats.  The die hards - most that post here- will be there regardless but we arent generating excitement even with a good record.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, MUinDE, Collis P, wasbarryb, The E-Man

Offline herd2win

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:24:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone might want to let Doc know that the only thing that matters at the end of the game is the scoreboard....we played Charlotte but if it was someone else no matter how many rushing yards we had or yards per carry that we can lose...

Offline chris88

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:55:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In our position this year style points don't matter as we have no shot at an access bowl bid or top twenty five for that matter.  And it is true, in the end, winning is all that matters.  So if we win the CUSA title I won't be complaining for sure. But really good teams don't play down to their competition as it almost always comes back to bite you.I have only seen one team win a championship by doing everything by the skin of their teeth or just enough....and that was OSU Natl title under Jim Tressel and the competition they played against was far superior. But MU is also 4-1 ATS so lots of people expected us to be worse...or they just underestimated how bad the competition is we have played minus NC State.

But it does get tiresome to hear coaches/players say continually how close the offense is to breaking out.  You are what you consistently do and there is nothing consistent about our offense since 2014.  But we'll know soon enough as the road to division title is laid out pretty well for this team. 
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline svherd

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:12:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seems to me the local media reads these boards and go out of their way to write articles to dispute what board posters are saying. LOL!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline whf

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 02:58:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Please tell me honestly, is there a one of you on this board that would trade style points for wins, or chances of winning, if you were Doc and staff this year? ??? ???
    « Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:00:06 PM by whf »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 03:10:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I disagree with Chris about style points not mattering at our level when you look at the medium and long term. Playing an entertaining style of ball attracts an audience and recruits. Also style points and winning are not an either or deal anyway.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline svherd

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 03:13:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Justt food for thought - Boise got to where they are not so much by most of their wins, but how they won.

That said, wins are most important the goal, but style points gets you noticed and helps build the brand. Kids want to play for exciting offenses and teams. jmo

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE, The E-Man

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Please tell me honestly, is there a one of you on this board that would trade style points for wins, or chances of winning, if you were Doc and staff this year? ??? ???

I don't think there is anyone that would trade a win for style points. That is a ridicoulus question. But us fans aren't dumb enough to think we are anything other
     than just avg at best. We have beat 4 teams that had to be rushed to the ER to see if they had a pulse. I would say it would be hard for anyone to find a 4 win team with worse competition.

Offline chris88

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 04:20:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I disagree with Chris about style points not mattering at our level when you look at the medium and long term. Playing an entertaining style of ball attracts an audience and recruits. Also style points and winning are not an either or deal anyway.

From that perspective I agree 100%
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline Apollo

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 04:30:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Well, considering if said style points were involved, the wins would be there as well, so....

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You ask that as though the two are mutually exclusive - which they are not.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »

Offline herd1990

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 07:36:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only teams who don't score points when they should, claim scoring points is overrated.  While I'm hopeful with the progress this year, I still see several red flags each week that continue to keep me from going overboard with the enthusiasm.  (1). Inability to put average/below average teams away (see Kent, Miami oh and Charlotte).  (2). Lack of a consistent running game.  We have run well at times, but not consistently. (3). Bill Legg and his tecmo bowl play calling.  Just because he drew up a couple cool plays on a napkin with the fake pitch and pass to Yurachek doesn't overshadow his other midge league schemes.  He doesn't attack.  He gets a 10 point lead and puts the crowd and offense to sleep with his 3 zone read runs.  I will say it again...we will never, not ever, be truly relevant again until he is gone.

The following users thanked this post: Apollo, herdorbust

Offline bighat

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 02:20:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just win!!!!

Online coalherd

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 03:07:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think there is anyone that would trade a win for style points. That is a ridicoulus question. But us fans aren't dumb enough to think we are anything other
     than just avg at best. We have beat 4 teams that had to be rushed to the ER to see if they had a pulse. I would say it would be hard for anyone to find a 4 win team with worse competition.

Spot on, herdorbust.  See cbssports.com this week and their rankings of the bottom FBS football poll.

This week's bottom 10 features THREE CUSA teams (ONLY league with 3 in that category):  Rice, Charlotte and UTEP.  Thankfully, we only play Charlotte this year.  But a fourth team in bottom team is Kent, another Herd victim!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 03:07:48 PM »