Author Topic: Basketball  (Read 21535 times)

Offline BHFIOHIO

Re: Basketball
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2015, 10:39:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll take the word of two or three who are going over those who don't. But the real point is nobody among the naysayers will admit that the three or even two guys not playing might have resulted in a win. And to argue the Div11 thingy is to deny that when we were 1-AA that we were better than some FBS. Its just general hard headedness that you encounter on these boards time to time. Nobody knows how good or bad Newberry's team is or might be. That's a fact.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2015, 10:39:31 AM »

Offline Herd-nficent

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2015, 10:41:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have been beaten down by the last mupteen years of hype over how great our BB players are going to be.

I just want some positive results.  Is that too much to ask for???????
    "What we see depends on what we look for"

Offline WoodyWoodrum

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2015, 10:42:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kelly had a boil lanced on his shooting arm. Probably plays if a "real" game.

Danny scheduled Newberry for a reason - because they play the same style he wants to play, and they play it better right now because they have five seniors who have been with Coach Davis since he got there. Those seniors had half the points and 2/3 of the rebounds.

Both halves, the Herd got it to five with 2 mins to play, only to have Newberry blow it back up to double figures. Coach Davis, when asked why by me, said the main reason was five seniors who have been there, done that before versus Marshall's relative inexperience.

No. 2 for Newberry, Brandon Taylor, is from up in Ohio and had a big crowd there (40+) from Coshocton to cheer him on, going 6-for-6. They had a real nice following for a school from South Carolina, and that's why the crowd was 4,700 for women's game and over 5,000 again for men.

Look, it has been at least a decade since Marshall lost to an exhibition opponent. In that time, we have had - what - two or three really good years. So what does beating exhibition opponents mean - nothing!

Austin Loop said it best, "We learned a lesson about underestimating opponents." Danny said, "We have film now of us playing a team who plays like we eventually hope these guys can play." Coach also will not name a win total for this season, because he is more interested in the growth of his team with only two seniors into the kind of team he is trying to mold.

I think there will be a lot of ups and downs like this weekend's Bluefield rout and Newberry upset, but once Elmore comes in mid-December, Browning returns from a "minor" (Danny's word, not mine) mistake (and mistakes like this - being late, missing class or study hall, not doing what is expected of a Marshall player - are two-games with no exception he said, not just because there were two exhibition games).

They are not a great team, but they will be a fun team that, like last night, that will occasionally frustrate D'Antoni, you and me.
    Woody Woodrum

Offline whf

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2015, 10:43:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow, just wow.  Frampton, Kilgore, Thompson, (by the way,where was Tiennamin SP) the two new kids from Europe, Burks ..... this was our main staple yesterday.  Come on folks, this was not a wake up call. Yes, it would have been great to beat Newberry (a very good D11 team by the way), but there was a REASON for what DD did yesterday.  We'll have to wait a bit to see if it pays off for him and the team.  Frampton probably redshirts, and others will be practicing for next year. I actually wonder if DD rewarded them yesterday for their hard work in the preseason; and wanted the others to see the movement and hustle of Newberry for example from their seats.

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What proof is there that Newberry is "a very good DII team?"  They went 13-9 in their conference last year.

This year they had played two games.

They lost to Erskine 89-86

They beat North Greenville 94-84.

I guess it's watch out for whoever has to play Erskine....  ???

(Except Erskine lost to Coker College two days ago by 23... so you better really REALLY BEWARE OF COKER COLLEGE)

Offline chris88

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Every year a few schools lose to D2 schools in exhibition etc.  Mich State had to go to wire a week or so ago against a non-name school from Mich.  It happens.  With 11 new players it is much more likely to happen.  We started horrid last year but then went on a pretty nice run and played above most peoples expectations in CUSA.  Hopefully we can surprise TN a little after seeing the result of this game.  I didn't watch game but my biggest concern would be FT shooting as that is opponent neutral.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2015, 11:42:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Every year a few schools lose to D2 schools in exhibition etc.  Mich State had to go to wire a week or so ago against a non-name school from Mich.  It happens.  With 11 new players it is much more likely to happen.  We started horrid last year but then went on a pretty nice run and played above most peoples expectations in CUSA.  Hopefully we can surprise TN a little after seeing the result of this game.  I didn't watch game but my biggest concern would be FT shooting as that is opponent neutral.

Plus keep in mind, Tennessee whipped up on UNC-Ashville 72-68 Friday. UNCA had 1 guy 6'6" and outrebounded the Vols. Ashville then lost by 9 to WCU.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline LUVTHATHERD

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2015, 11:45:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Danny scheduled Newberry for a reason - because they play the same style he wants to play, and they play it better right now because they have five seniors who have been with Coach Davis since he got there. Those seniors had half the points and 2/3 of the rebounds.

Both halves, the Herd got it to five with 2 mins to play, only to have Newberry blow it back up to double figures. Coach Davis, when asked why by me, said the main reason was five seniors who have been there, done that before versus Marshall's relative inexperience.

No. 2 for Newberry, Brandon Taylor, is from up in Ohio and had a big crowd there (40+) from Coshocton to cheer him on, going 6-for-6. They had a real nice following for a school from South Carolina, and that's why the crowd was 4,700 for women's game and over 5,000 again for men.

Look, it has been at least a decade since Marshall lost to an exhibition opponent. In that time, we have had - what - two or three really good years. So what does beating exhibition opponents mean - nothing!

Austin Loop said it best, "We learned a lesson about underestimating opponents." Danny said, "We have film now of us playing a team who plays like we eventually hope these guys can play." Coach also will not name a win total for this season, because he is more interested in the growth of his team with only two seniors into the kind of team he is trying to mold.

I think there will be a lot of ups and downs like this weekend's Bluefield rout and Newberry upset, but once Elmore comes in mid-December, Browning returns from a "minor" (Danny's word, not mine) mistake (and mistakes like this - being late, missing class or study hall, not doing what is expected of a Marshall player - are two-games with no exception he said, not just because there were two exhibition games).

They are not a great team, but they will be a fun team that, like last night, that will occasionally frustrate D'Antoni, you and me.
    +1 Good report on the game and team status.

Offline Herd-nficent

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2015, 11:46:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JUST WIN BABEEE..... (at least a few games this year)  

I hate the thought of the WVU game!   I have some "friends" who are going to eat me alive the next day.
    "What we see depends on what we look for"

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Tennessee game probably means they aren't a whole lot better than the team that went 7-11 in the SEC last year.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #60 on: November 16, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

So how many years does it take to teach a player Danny's system, please don't tell me 3 years....

Offline MUonium

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • certainly, by design or otherwise, DD's approach to program building lowered my expectations for at least three years, possibly even the length of his contract (retirement gig).  i don't know what to call his style: academic, person-first; nonchalant, laid back?  i do know that basketball is basketball no matter what you label it.

as has been said many times in this thread and in the past.  if you can't reasonably, consistently play defense, rebound, put the rock through the hoop, especially FREE(they're simply free!)throws, no matter what style or strategies you teach, you are not going to win enough games to please yourself, team and fans, i don't give a crap who or which division you play.

its too early to judge, nonetheless, for how long is the Herd "young"?  i will have fun watching...let's go Herd!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2015, 12:49:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Tennessee game probably means they aren't a whole lot better than the team that went 7-11 in the SEC last year.

Is that you Chuck?

I'll worry when its time too.....when we have our whole team available. I'll bet you pick on weaklings too.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2015, 01:16:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll take the word of two or three who are going over those who don't. But the real point is nobody among the naysayers will admit that the three or even two guys not playing might have resulted in a win. And to argue the Div11 thingy is to deny that when we were 1-AA that we were better than some FBS. Its just general hard headedness that you encounter on these boards time to time. Nobody knows how good or bad Newberry's team is or might be. That's a fact.

Newberry is NOT a good D2 school....that is a FACT.

They have been average at best over the last 2-3 years. Before that, they were very bad. Not sure if they have ever made the NCAA D2 tournament, I know they haven't over the last decade anyways.

If you want to see good D2 basketball, go to one of the local MEC games. Newberry wouldn't even finish in the top half of the MEC.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2015, 01:20:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So how many years does it take to teach a player Danny's system, please don't tell me 3 years....

In all fairness. This was his first full off-season with the team. He didn't have the time to actually try and teach things, and break things down last season.

So this is more like year 1 with DD getting hired so late.....JMO

Offline jstherd

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2015, 02:26:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've ask the question several times on this board. What is DDs style of play? No one seems to know. His supporters always say, DD is recruting playesr that fit his style." Riht now it appears that his style is"the first man with the ball in his hands on our side of the court shoots a 3." 39 3s. Is that our style. I agree with Herdfifteen. It is utterly ridiculus to make a statement saying that the current backcourt will be better than any ever at Marshall. Better that Ty Collins and Mike Dantoni? WOW. We have some NBA players to watch this year. I am also like Herdfifteen. I would very much like for DD to succeed. When I read the practice reports I got excited.....and then last night. Yep, Newberry started all seniors, but they were D II seniors. Oh what to heck. We'll beat WKU and everything will be alright.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #66 on: November 16, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've ask the question several times on this board. What is DDs style of play? No one seems to know. His supporters always say, DD is recruting playesr that fit his style." Riht now it appears that his style is"the first man with the ball in his hands on our side of the court shoots a 3." 39 3s. Is that our style. I agree with Herdfifteen. It is utterly ridiculus to make a statement saying that the current backcourt will be better than any ever at Marshall. Better that Ty Collins and Mike Dantoni? WOW. We have some NBA players to watch this year. I am also like Herdfifteen. I would very much like for DD to succeed. When I read the practice reports I got excited.....and then last night. Yep, Newberry started all seniors, but they were D II seniors. Oh what to heck. We'll beat WKU and everything will be alright.

Apparently, it involves:

1)  playing small
    2)  not rebounding
    3)  In transition, we are supposed to be running the "true" fastbreak
    4)  In the half court set, we pass the ball around to get off a 3 pointer  

Is that about it?

It sounds like what most high schools run when they have a 6'4 center....
    « Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:43:11 PM by Johnnyherd »

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2015, 02:42:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is that you Chuck?

I'll worry when its time too.....when we have our whole team available. I'll bet you pick on weaklings too.

I don't get it.  Someone pointed to a close Tennessee WIN as reason to think LOSING to Newberry shouldn't matter. 

Tennessee was a bottom feeder SEC team and lost 8 of their last 10 regular season (i.e. conference) games.  The result of Tennessee's game is likely more of an indication that Tennessee is still a bottom feeder SEC team. (Meaning it has no impact on whether Newberry should roll into Huntington and win).

Now I'm Chuck Landon?  I still don't get your point. 

Offline MUther

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A young version of me.

Ok, I chuckled

Two things.  I understand we didn't have our best shooters on the floor.  Our best shooters should not be required to stop a D2 opponent from scoring 100+ on us, regardless of whether we outscore them or not. 

I understand experimenting during an exhibition.  The NFL does it all the time and they lose games in pre-season but end up being dominant teams.  If we want to try out some things against people not on our team, then this is the time to do it. 

I am disappointed that we lost by allowing them to score that much.  Sounds like defense is where they need to focus more energy and, as always since infinity, FTs. 
    I am not overly concerned with how the loss translates to the rest of the season, but to not be a little concerned is burying your head, IMO

This could be basically like LaTech losing to FCS last year and then giving us all we wanted in the CCG last year.  Or it could be like FAU's season this year, where they were close in a lot of games but never finished.  Have to wait and see.  What else can we do?
    « Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 03:04:02 PM by MUther »

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2015, 03:12:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Many of these posts reminds me of a young man that I taught in school years ago who was severely handicapped who has literally been around the world.  This young man once had a high school coach tell him he should get one of those handicapped parking tickets.  He responded by saying he has been telling people all his life that he wasn't handicapped so why should he start now.  After travelling all over the world he told me one day, You know I have been all over the world and when I come back here it is the most negative and depressed area I have ever seen.  I must agree with him.  Many of you are the most negative I have ever seen.  As someone earlier said we might as well cancel the season because it is all over since we lost an exhibition game.  Just the other day the great Ohio State team had problems with a small division team that featured Ironton's Zach Carter that many of you said could not play here. Shame on you.  Well you have got the last practice report from me because the season has already been cancelled so what's the difference.  I will enjoy watching this team grow and get better and know that on Sunday morning I won't be reading about them in the police blotter.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline Big Ol' Hillbilly

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2015, 03:25:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What proof is there that Newberry is "a very good DII team?"  They went 13-9 in their conference last year.

This year they had played two games.

They lost to Erskine 89-86

They beat North Greenville 94-84.

I guess it's watch out for whoever has to play Erskine....  ???

(Except Erskine lost to Coker College two days ago by 23... so you better really REALLY BEWARE OF COKER COLLEGE)

Haha!!!! You just schooled somebody.

Offline Herdfan2005

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here is the box score from yesterday to give the people not in attendance some what of and idea.

http://www.newberrywolves.com/mb/boxscore/2015-16/6714/at-marshall-11-15-2015/

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2015, 04:59:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • UAB posters said they lost to UNC-Pembroke last year in exhibition.  They then went on to win CUSA last year.  I guess ya never know.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2015, 05:20:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • don't confuse these Herd Fans with the facts.....they already know it all....me too I guess.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Newberry College (the Wolves, formerly the Indians) is located in Newberry SC. A small Lutheran liberal arts school, it does have a fairly solid athletic tradition. The town has a pretty downtown & the gorgeous Newberry Opera House which hosts concerts & other events. If you're in the Columbia area, the town is worth a short visit.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »