Author Topic: Basketball  (Read 21540 times)

Offline chezdog30

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • All American
  • Member Since 01/2011
Re: Basketball
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People defending this need to sober up.

Does Newberry, a team I've never heard of, have any D1 players?  No.

Do we?  Technically, we do have 13. 

Did any of the scholarship players play?  Yes.  So, we should have won the game. 

Plus 1000

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And this is why people need to temper expectations when they read how great we look in practice. We won't know what we have until 5 or 6 games have been played, but im betting its not very good. DD has this year to get the ducks in the row, year 3, its on him to have us winning or we prbably won't. 

Offline Bob25526

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2015, 09:06:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are doomed. May as well cancel season.

Online coalherd

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2015, 09:14:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And this is why people need to temper expectations when they read how great we look in practice. We won't know what we have until 5 or 6 games have been played, but im betting its not very good. DD has this year to get the ducks in the row, year 3, its on him to have us winning or we prbably won't. 

Exactly, goherd24.  Some give glowing practice reports swearing that we are in the process of putting 3 LeBrons and 2 Kobes on the floor and that there is NO WAY that anyone on our schedule, or at least in CUSA, can stay on the floor with our up tempo, fire at will pro style offense!.. Then reality, albeit an exhibit game against a D-II opponent, kicks in like hitting a stone wall at 60 mph!!!

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2015, 09:15:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kelly had minor and I mean minor surgery but he is good to go.  It was disappointing to say the least but I am not throwing in the towel like many of you seem to be doing.  This can be a decent team once Elmore gets eligible and Browning gets out of the dog house.  He is not a bad kid just screwed up a little.  Coach is very upset with some of the intensity of several players.  They need to get it together or they may not be back next season.  I have seen a lot of practices and coach does encourage his players and slaps on the rear, and I have seen him get on their case pretty good.  The game at UT is going to be tough but I expect a much better effort out of some of our players.  All you can expect is an all out effort and let the chips fall where they may.  I am still on the band wagon.  I look for entirely different make up of this team come mid January.

TRS
    Mu 71

Offline banker

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2015, 09:38:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So once we start about 3-10 there's a solid chance we can get better and play close to .500 ball in the remaining games?  Finish something like 13-18?

Offline wlf

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2015, 10:22:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the coach,but he may have under recruited his way out. On our level ,the first two years of recruiting are all important.

This was my concern from the beginning,I expected better ballplayers,considering the legacies of NBA surrounding the staff???

Practices are much better and I have seen improvement,but there was a long way to go.

I like MU basketball,but since Huckaby,the money flows across the street from the Henderson Center. We've had a few capable people running the program since.We need a very heavy handed donor that loves basketball.

Offline svherd

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2015, 10:49:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have said all along, if we get close to .500 for the season that would be shocking but progress. This team is young and built on some untested talent. If DD can get it done, it will take at least 3-4 years, maybe more. Do we have the patience? Does Hamrick?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline goherd24

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2015, 11:30:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have said all along, if we get close to .500 for the season that would be shocking but progress. This team is young and built on some untested talent. If DD can get it done, it will take at least 3-4 years, maybe more. Do we have the patience? Does Hamrick?

Shouldn't take more than 3 years in basketball. A good freshman can have significant impact on your team. If year 4 comes and we are sub. 500, a change needs to happen and get it over with before it drags on.

Give DD a passast year. Those kids ahouldnt have been playing at a d3 school, but this year, the staff had a whole year to go and get kids to come here to make a difference. We should see it on the court.

The sky is not falling because of an exhibiton game, however. D2 or not, doesn't matter. The game at Tennessee does. Lets see if we are halfway competitive.

Offline Herdfan73

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2015, 12:10:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What the crap is a Newberry?

Offline sleeinwv

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2015, 12:27:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And to think that I remember posts saying this team will win 17-18 games this year.......lol...what happens when you hire a coach that has zero head coaching experience above high school.   10-13 wins.......

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 02:54:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What the crap is a Newberry?

A young version of me.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 02:54:19 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2015, 07:15:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The starters played enough to show me that the only way we win a game is to shoot 60+% from the arc. That wont happen

3 of the top 8 players did NOT dress for the game, including Kelly, our top player.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2015, 07:17:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did Kelly play at all today?  You know, the guy supposedly the best athlete ever at MU.  Just hope he does not have some type of off the court issues that kept him on the sidelines.  You know, the kind that many players had that resulted us in having to dump Tom H.

As for the WMUL announcer, well he kept saying that this kind of game could be used as a learning/teaching experience by the Herd.  He said our "young" players could gain a lot of experience by playing against someone "better than them".

LOL, if a D-2 team like Newberry has a lot of players "better" than ours, then this season is going to be very forgetful from the get-go!!!

Kelly had a medical procedure Sunday morning, Should be back at practice today or Tuesday.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2015, 07:20:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kelly had minor and I mean minor surgery but he is good to go.  It was disappointing to say the least but I am not throwing in the towel like many of you seem to be doing.  This can be a decent team once Elmore gets eligible and Browning gets out of the dog house.  He is not a bad kid just screwed up a little.  Coach is very upset with some of the intensity of several players.  They need to get it together or they may not be back next season.  I have seen a lot of practices and coach does encourage his players and slaps on the rear, and I have seen him get on their case pretty good.  The game at UT is going to be tough but I expect a much better effort out of some of our players.  All you can expect is an all out effort and let the chips fall where they may.  I am still on the band wagon.  I look for entirely different make up of this team come mid January.

TRS
    Mu 71

Agree TRS. Most on this board haven't seen what we have day in and day out at practice.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 08:03:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unfortunately what a couple of you see every year appears to be the same then the season starts. Do you realize how ludicrous it is to say people on this team will be the equal of Ty and D'antoni by the time they are juniors? Recruiting WV players as a general rule will not get it done at this level, recruiting must improve. We all hope it gets better, while the season hasn't even started the pre-season this year certainly not been encouraging.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2015, 08:30:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I see it a little diff. To score 90 with three of your best not dressed is a little impressive. Defense and FTs will improve with Browning, Elmore and Kelly involved...and Elmore will be the starter down the road with Browning helping. Frampton not bad at all with only a couple TOs in over 20 mins. Not saying we are ready for the top of CUSA yet but we did beat two of them last yr with much less talent.

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2015, 09:34:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree TRS. Most on this board haven't seen what we have day in and day out at practice.

Every single player that played and lost to Newberry are at the practices you speak of right?

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2015, 09:43:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Every single player that played and lost to Newberry are at the practices you speak of right?

True, which also includes the 3 top shooters that were NOT there Sunday
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2015, 09:49:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • True, which also includes the 3 top shooters that were NOT there Sunday

Maybe but Elmore is out.  It is what it is and he can't play until second semester.  Browning is suspended.

I guess Kelly is going to be an all-American.

Offline Luke80

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2015, 10:09:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Many of the sixteen players that are at practice will not see action once the real season starts.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2015, 10:11:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree TRS. Most on this board haven't seen what we have day in and day out at practice.

Wake up from the dream, dude.  We may well be better, but, no matter who you sit, you can't lose to this thing called "Newberry" at home. 

Also, practice reports are WORTHLESS. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2015, 10:11:31 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2015, 10:13:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe but Elmore is out.  It is what it is and he can't play until second semester.  Browning is suspended.

I guess Kelly is going to be an all-American.

Browning and Kelly will play Thursday in Knoxville. Elmore will be playing in December. Most likely wvu will be his first game. IF the grades get posted quick enough he will play against NC Central on Dec 14.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wake up from the dream, dude.  We may well be better, but, no matter who you sit, you can't lose to this thing called "Newberry" at home. 

Also, practice reports are WORTHLESS. 

Then don't waste your time reading what TRS and I have to say after practice. Some out of towners seem to like them.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2015, 10:29:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Then don't waste your time reading what TRS and I have to say after practice. Some out of towners seem to like them.

I enjoy your reports.

Yes I think you tend to see things through green glasses, but I think of worse sins.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2015, 10:29:17 AM »