Author Topic: We Don't Need wvu.  (Read 1520 times)

Offline 360

• Varsity
We Don't Need wvu.
« on: July 18, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First let me say I’m looking forward to the game this year, and I fully expect the Herd to win. This series has been good for the state and IS a rivalry game. If we played another 100 times and lost all of them, it would still be good for the state and still be a rivalry game.

I think wvu fans are more obsessed with us than we have ever been with them. They hijack the comment section of every article about us in the local newspapers, and even their coaches (Huggins) can’t seem to talk to a reporter without thinking about us. They say it’s not a rivalry and they shouldn’t have to play us. They say we are just too beneath them. So, if they are still a little scared, which is exactly what they are (their administration is fearful of us beating them and gaining clout in the state), and want to end the series - I’m fine with that. We have to realize that there will NEVER be a time when they want to play us, EVER. Because there will never be a time when they are not cowards (which is crazy considering they’ve beat us pretty good the last 5 years; but us turning the tides, will always be in the back of their minds). As for me, I’m fine with moving on.

Their fans are an embarrassment to the state, and continually display the poorest example of sportsmanship - anywhere. The nation views them as a school of low class, lowly educated, obnoxious hill jacks from a barely BCS conference.  I would rather not be associated with them in any way. If they want to be the state university, I’m fine with that. This nation can think we are from Virginia for all I care, as long as we win, have entertaining football to watch, garner national respect, and continue to develop our program. So wvu, you can keep your pitiful excuse of a university and scumbag fans, we’ll make our way just fine without you.

Because the fact remains; we can win conference championships, go to BCS bowl games, recruit super stars, gain national respect, be ranked ahead of them each year, and one day play in a BCS league without ever playing wvu again.

And besides, we can get way, way, way better quality teams to come to the Joan than them (as we already have).

In every conceivable way, we don’t need them.

So lets all let wvu continue to be a classless national embarrassment, and lets wave when we pass them by.  As for us, we’ll stick to being a respectable, nationally loved program, which will once again play for championships.
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:04:29 PM by 360 »

HerdFans.com

We Don't Need wvu.
    « on: July 18, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »

Offline MarshallGrad

Re: We Don't Need wvu.
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 06:21:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think wvu fans are more obsessed with us than we have ever been with them.

I don't know any WVU fans by name and don't live in the state of WV and have no dog in the in-state, pot vs kettle stone throwing. I don't spend any time on any WVU board, but even still, the level of over the top, psychopathic obsession with WVU by a lot of in state Herd fans leads me to believe it would be difficult for WVU to be more obsessed with in state Herd fans than the other way around. Sometimes the two most popular Herd forums are equal parts WVU posts and Marshall posts. There are times when the Herd forums look more like I hate WVU first, and I love the Herd second.

I am an out of stater, but there is a ton of evidence just on this forum alone that that your premise may not be as correct as you think.

That being said, I have always said the WVU game is unnecessary to our objectives. 1 for 1 or none for none.

Offline jt

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 07:17:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I fully endorse both of these threads.
    We'd be better off without them in the long run. Our mutual obsession should die down some if we didn't have to play one another.  The rivalry will ALWAYS be there, regardless of whether we play each other.
    Go HERD!!!

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 07:25:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I say never run from a good instate battle. Give him all you got and if you lose, take it well and move on.
    The sun don't shine on one dogs ass all the time.

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 07:28:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Give him all you got and if you lose, take it well and move on.

I only hope we do as well when we win...I'll be ashamed if we storm the field and tear down the goal posts.  They never saw fit to do so when beating us.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MarshallGrad you should know about obsession..you've only been with us a short time but there has not been one neg thread about the EERS that you haven't taken some time to lecture Herd Fans...we all know that some take it too far but I smell a Dad or a wife or something that loves the EERS...you seem obsessed with getting all Herd fans to see the light. Truth be told, there is plenty of reason for die hard fans to hate WVU...I've printed them too many times but they start back when our visitors had port-a-pots at Fairfield and they were getting state of the art stuff up there...you don't make me mad just sick.....why not channel some of that enthusiasm into getting the rest of the state and the gov't into realizing what a wonderful thing we are and could be?

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:51:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MarshallGrad you should know about obsession..you've only been with us a short time but there has not been one neg thread about the EERS that you haven't taken some time to lecture Herd Fans...we all know that some take it too far but I smell a Dad or a wife or something that loves the EERS...you seem obsessed with getting all Herd fans to see the light. Truth be told, there is plenty of reason for die hard fans to hate WVU...I've printed them too many times but they start back when our visitors had port-a-pots at Fairfield and they were getting state of the art stuff up there...you don't make me mad just sick.....why not channel some of that enthusiasm into getting the rest of the state and the gov't into realizing what a wonderful thing we are and could be?

You should get that nose to a doctor, post haste. I do not know any one by name that is now or ever was a WVU student, employee, glee club member, booster, or raccoon hat selling concession manager.

I didn't opine about whether or not you or any other Herd fan had a right to be obsessed, I only made an observation about the original posters suggestion that WVU is more obsessed with MU than the other way around. Your "truth be told" is simply an example of what I was pointing out. The obsession is at least as strong, both ways. But I recognize it is the right of anyone that thinks that having it will somehow help MU to advance, to go ahead and have it.

I am 54 years old and have been a Marshall grad for a while. Not completely a newbee.

Offline marshalljeff

• All American
    « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Damn right we don't need 'em!

Offline Robitt

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 09:28:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Never wanted to get started with the arrogant sob's. Keep 'em out of my face.

Offline Slice11

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 09:53:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • wvu buddy of mine

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 10:04:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i smell wvu %^&* a few spots on this thread..........

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline 360

• Varsity
    « Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 10:33:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I noticed an unusual amount of guests viewing this thread so I thought I'd check out some of their boards to see if there may be a link to this thread on one of them.

Didn't see one, but what I did see was everyone of their boards talking about us. Either Bembry or playing us. And of course it was all the same delusional BS.

I've never seen an administration and fanbase so backwards and delusional as is theirs. We have bigger fish to fry. We are way better than that!

They like to throw around the terms "big" and "little brother", but seriously, we aren't even related. We are in two different worlds. And that is a good thing!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 10:33:46 PM »

Offline Taft#1

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 03:23:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You might not think it but I believe MU fans are ten times more obsessed with wvu than wvu is to MU. Wvu is all MU fans talk about , if we beat them ... , if , if , if , blah , blah , blah . Wvu doesn't plan their whole year out with beating MU , but MU fans sure do.

Offline HerdKixButt

• All American
    « Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 04:15:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we win just once I'm fine with it. There's a lot of people out there waiting for that day to happen. If we lose out of the series and they won't play there will be a lot of disappointed people out there.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall doesn't need WVU and has done just fine without them in the past, BUT we need to use them if it helps us get into a better conference.  Beat them this year and let Hamrick work to get us BCS status before the next round of expansion.  Hopefully, get the powers that be convince WVU to lobby for us in the BE.

Offline WoodyWoodrum

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 03:30:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Remember, no other team sells tickets like WVU here, however, which is the main reason for them being on the schedule. It might never be a full-blown rivalry, but there are lots of fans on both sides in one state who cheer for their team and not the other and that, like it or not, is what a rivalry is all about.

As long as they help tickets sales up from 13,000 to about 20,000, no MU AD will ever let the series go. Should WVU hit the same type of rough patch as the Herd the last five years, they too might need the Marshall rivalry - it has just come in about as good of a five-years in Mountaineer history and, aside from the 1970-83 era, as bad an era as the Herd has had since the 1950s.
    Woody Woodrum

Offline herdman33

• Rookie
    « Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 03:37:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • GO HERD!

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Woody....V Tech will be sold out......Purdue and UL very very close....and we are just gettin started!

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Should WVU hit the same type of rough patch as the Herd the last five years, they too might need the Marshall rivalry - it has just come in about as good of a five-years in Mountaineer history and, aside from the 1970-83 era, as bad an era as the Herd has had since the 1950s.
    Exactly what I have been saying and thats why I'd hate to see the series end.  Things are getting a little more balanced now.

Offline 360

• Varsity
    « Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 05:32:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Exactly what I have been saying and thats why I'd hate to see the series end.  Things are getting a little more balanced now.

This is true, how lucky did those guys get. They peaked and we flattened out. I would have loved to play them 98-2002.

Offline herdgameplan

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 08:56:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Who started to burn a couch in here? The game is not even played yet and already you can feel the heat from up north...Calm down Forest!

Offline guru shudu moonday

• All American
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • the game benefits the entire state and needs to be played. when did wvu start hating west virginia so much?
    « Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 09:08:04 PM by guru shudu moonday »
    If your so damn smart, why ain't you rich?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »

Offline Marshallguy04

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 11:43:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You might not think it but I believe MU fans are ten times more obsessed with wvu than wvu is to MU. Wvu is all MU fans talk about , if we beat them ... , if , if , if , blah , blah , blah . Wvu doesn't plan their whole year out with beating MU , but MU fans sure do.

Just wait until saturday mornin' after we beat them on ESPN. They WILL be plannin' their entire year around us. A loss against us would cost them a BCS national championship. Nobody would ever let them in...especially now.
    wvu's loss to us is going to change a tremendous amount.

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 06:31:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • wvu's loss to us is going to change a tremendous amount.

I want to go undefeated. We cannot go undefeated without beating WVU, so it goes without saying that I am right in front of the line of those that want to win against WVU. But I can't figure what the "tremendous amount" of change is that you see will happen. Aside from the "those hillbillys will kill themselves in mass suicide" comments, am I sincerely interested in what great change you, or anyone else, believes will occur after we win. As I see it, it will still be something like 9-1 lifetime. If we were the 9 and some other team, say UCF, was 1, we would laugh if they thought that one win made some big difference.

I agree we need to win to meet our objectives. But help me out on the rational argument over the tremendous change it will make. Specifically, what will change after one win? I am not saying there will not be some change, I am saying I am not sure I get what that would be.

Offline bleedsgreen33

• Earfan
    • Rookie
    « Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It really bothers me that this has become a WVU board. It's why I stayed away. 50% to 75% of this forum is WVU posts. They don't design their entire season around us. Why should we plan ours around them?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »