Author Topic: MAC head coach: "Come play for me, we'll get you to the Big Ten in two years"  (Read 521 times)

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Toledo men's basketball coach Tod Kowalczyk has found a way to make his program's mid-major status work for them.

https://footballscoop.com/news/mac-head-coach-come-play-for-me-well-get-you-to-the-big-ten-in-two-years-tod-kowalczyk-toledo-basketball-transfer-portal

The following users thanked this post: svherd

HerdFans.com

Offline MUonium

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • well, it's pretty clear the shift in strategy has finally come to Marshall basketball.  i cringe a bit thinking too far ahead and coming across like i'm dismissing the 2023-24 season.  i have every intention of enjoying every single game.  so far, the 23-24 signees consist of two players with 4 years eligibility and four with 1 year eligibility.

however, Corny loses at least 6 players so far after this season who lose eligibility.  so, it'll be interesting how he recruits for 2024-25 and beyond.  i still like a mix of HS and transfers with flexibility as needed.  but i also would always have an eye on best available, as well.

anyway, the MAC coach is apparently going with the flow in his own way (like the Clemson football coach)

Offline MUther

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • well, it's pretty clear the shift in strategy has finally come to Marshall basketball.  i cringe a bit thinking too far ahead and coming across like i'm dismissing the 2023-24 season.  i have every intention of enjoying every single game.  so far, the 23-24 signees consist of two players with 4 years eligibility and four with 1 year eligibility.

however, Corny loses at least 6 players so far after this season who lose eligibility.  so, it'll be interesting how he recruits for 2024-25 and beyond.  i still like a mix of HS and transfers with flexibility as needed.  but i also would always have an eye on best available, as well.

anyway, the MAC coach is apparently going with the flow in his own way (like the Clemson football coach)

What he's doing is banking on convincing them to stay there in two years instead of moving on to the Big Ten.  Toledo is top 1-3 in the MAC and they dance quite a bit.  A standout player at that level has a good chance at a basketball career of some sort after college.  While the real possibility of riding the bench at a B1G school doesn't get them noticed.

The following users thanked this post: Big City

Offline Sir Herd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's sad that college athletics has come to things like this, but that's just the way it is.

Either embrace it, or get left behind in terms of success.

HerdFans.com