Author Topic: Clemson Coach views on the Portal  (Read 632 times)

HerdFans.com

Clemson Coach views on the Portal
« on: May 20, 2024, 08:05:37 AM »

Offline chris88

Re: Clemson Coach views on the Portal
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 09:17:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dabo not playing the game. He has good answers as to why he really isn't using portal and focusing on HS players. Has not signed one portal transfer for 2024.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline andy31

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 09:43:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Clemson has had three straight seasons with results below what that program and fan base expects.  Dabo is liable to stubbornly work his way into a warm seat.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 10:04:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • what's the difference at being able to throw big money at HS players vs transfers?  i don't begrudge he earned a chance at coaching a top program, but he's got all the resources in the world.  i'd respect a MU coach much much more if he could take only HS players and beat his peers
    « Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 10:15:53 AM by MUonium »

The following users thanked this post: chris88, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2024, 12:20:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • what's the difference at being able to throw big money at HS players vs transfers?

I think there's a huge difference. High school players, even the blue chippiest of recruits, often flame out a fairly high rate once they get to college. The success rate is gonna be a lot better for transfers who have already proven themselves at the college level.

Offline Sir Herd

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2024, 07:26:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To a point, I like what Dabo does as far as depending on HS recruits, which he always excels at; just look at his recruiting classes and the transfer portal does need to be adjusted as far as how it works.

Yes, I know the Herd have benefited from the portal also, but the point still stands.

Will say though how long Dabo keeps this same tune if the Tigers start to struggle for  a couple of seasons in a row.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2024, 07:53:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep!  They don't cotton too well at "Clemp Son" for too many "dry" seasons in a row without a lot of Championships and much postseason success, bling, etc.

It's not called "DEATH VALLEY" for nothing!!!

The following users thanked this post: Sir Herd

Offline banker

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2024, 09:26:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you can recruit HS well, and hold on to your players, it is the superior model. Football is a game of precision and execution. You get that at a much higher rate from a guy that?s been in your system for 3-4 years than a one year guy even if the one year guy has more talent.

Offline MUther

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2024, 02:02:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you can recruit HS well, and hold on to your players, it is the superior model. Football is a game of precision and execution. You get that at a much higher rate from a guy that?s been in your system for 3-4 years than a one year guy even if the one year guy has more talent.

I agree.  But I also think that we will end up with DII and FCS developing high school kids for the most part and the standout players will be moved up into FBS in some capacity.  Seems to be trending more and more each year of the portal.   FCS and DII can take a chance on kids without having $10s of Millions of dollars on the line if they fail.  This still leaves 2-3 years for the players to learn the FBS systems.  I think we will see the decline of the one-year wonders, except grad students, which have always been a thing.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2024, 02:02:18 PM »