Author Topic: Herd MBB gets Jakob and Cade Gibbs from NAIA Grace College  (Read 2248 times)

Offline herdfan129

Re: Herd MBB gets Jakob and Cade Gibbs from NAIA Grace College
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2024, 11:43:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • These guys can play. I?m excited to get them. Plus they come from a WINNING program. They went 34-2 last year.

Some of you need to get out more. Go watch your local WVIAC team. You won?t see many 7 footers but you will see really good guard/forward play.

I also don?t mind they only have one year left. In fact, this might also be the way for us. Just continue to recruit studs from lower divisions with 1?2 years left. Turn the MEC in to our farm league.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2024, 11:43:27 PM »

Offline herdman22

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2024, 12:33:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • These guys can play. I?m excited to get them. Plus they come from a WINNING program. They went 34-2 last year.

Some of you need to get out more. Go watch your local WVIAC team. You won?t see many 7 footers but you will see really good guard/forward play.

I also don?t mind they only have one year left. In fact, this might also be the way for us. Just continue to recruit studs from lower divisions with 1?2 years left. Turn the MEC in to our farm league.
    In today's game might as well consider everyone with just one year left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, TomorrowHERD, MUfan08, DC01HERD, Buffalo Bop, wlf, miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Offline chris88

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2024, 07:29:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Their best player was a 6'10 center who was just recognized as Natl POY
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2024, 09:32:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Bee Gees look like they got game.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, horsrman, chris88

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2024, 09:51:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In today's game might as well consider everyone with just one year left.

Yeah because if they're any good, they be staying only one year anyway. It's the new age in college basketball.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2024, 10:10:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • not trying to be negative at all and i always look forward to each new team makeup, every single year.  i'm not saying these guys won't make it in D1 or they won't keep their averages.  i'm not saying CJ should immediately be able to turn a disaster into a miracle team.

there is definitely a difference, a stark reality going up against faster, quicker, more intense, stronger players every game in D1 as compared to NAIA teams.  it's "don't bring that crap in here, we'll shove it down your throat".  there is way more pressure to hit shots and your shot selection shrinks.  might turn a great defender into an avg defender.  good fundamental technique can only go so far.

i'm just saying it gets tougher for them.  look at last year or any previous year and it's no knock on those guys.  take Curfman for example- if he wasn't hitting 3s he was almost shut down in contribution.  take Voyles- he was solid but not great in D1.  will they be as good as Voyles because we'll need his averages?  even Crawford showed flashes of dominant drives to the hoop but go look at his averages.  it's likely they can match Conner's or Frick's averages.  again, i'm saying we need a couple more D1 ready guys and so far, we're not getting them, but there's still time.

Offline bighat

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2024, 10:28:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Gibbs brothers helping us "Staying Alive".

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2024, 10:35:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • not trying to be negative at all and i always look forward to each new team makeup, every single year.  i'm not saying these guys won't make it in D1 or they won't keep their averages.  i'm not saying CJ should immediately be able to turn a disaster into a miracle team.

there is definitely a difference, a stark reality going up against faster, quicker, more intense, stronger players every game in D1 as compared to NAIA teams.  it's "don't bring that crap in here, we'll shove it down your throat".  there is way more pressure to hit shots and your shot selection shrinks.  might turn a great defender into an avg defender.  good fundamental technique can only go so far.

i'm just saying it gets tougher for them.  look at last year or any previous year and it's no knock on those guys.  take Curfman for example- if he wasn't hitting 3s he was almost shut down in contribution.  take Voyles- he was solid but not great in D1.  will they be as good as Voyles because we'll need his averages?  even Crawford showed flashes of dominant drives to the hoop but go look at his averages.  it's likely they can match Conner's or Frick's averages.  again, i'm saying we need a couple more D1 ready guys and so far, we're not getting them, but there's still time.

I agree with what you are saying. But I also see a different type of player being recruited by Corny. Guys that can move their feet and are athletic. Danny recruited guys that simply couldn't stay in front and guard their man. Conner, Marko, Goran, Braun, Nutter and on and on simply can't guard. If Corny is truly focusing more on defense then that will be huge.

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2024, 10:51:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's easy to look at their numbers or where they came from and dismiss them. But we should absolutely place a premium on winners and winning. That is needed from a culture side. They know what it takes and will expect it out of teammates.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2024, 11:02:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with what you are saying. But I also see a different type of player being recruited by Corny. Guys that can move their feet and are athletic. Danny recruited guys that simply couldn't stay in front and guard their man. Conner, Marko, Goran, Braun, Nutter and on and on simply can't guard. If Corny is truly focusing more on defense then that will be huge.

maybe so and i hope so.
      if so, then maybe they can score more points than the opponent in what might become lower scoring games on avg (forced style change).  the problem Corny has is that he's tasked with remolding many of the same players in order to achieve different/better team results.  he'll need even more intensity out of Obinna and Nate and also from Fricks and Dawson.  we need the cards to fall our way with, if my count is correct, the final two scholarships- preferably proven guys

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2024, 12:04:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• maybe so and i hope so.
      if so, then maybe they can score more points than the opponent in what might become lower scoring games on avg (forced style change).  the problem Corny has is that he's tasked with remolding many of the same players in order to achieve different/better team results.  he'll need even more intensity out of Obinna and Nate and also from Fricks and Dawson.  we need the cards to fall our way with, if my count is correct, the final two scholarships- preferably proven guys

I think Corny said he will play the same offense with some tweaks and some set plays. And I may be wrong but I think we have 3 schollies left.

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2024, 12:12:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only Voyles could create his own shot.  We need three create own shot players.  We need 40ppg with the next 3 scholarships.  Scorers!!  Hyper quick scoring guards with relentless motors.  Penetration

The following users thanked this post: Collis P, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2024, 12:12:33 PM »

Offline wlf

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2024, 01:18:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Their best player was a 6'10 center who was just recognized as Natl POY
    Get this guy, he's the reason that team and players are better. It's a different world all over when Marshall has to settle for the lesser players on an NAIA team.
      Who else offered the Gibbs?

Offline MUonium

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2024, 02:39:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only Voyles could create his own shot.  We need three create own shot players.  We need 40ppg with the next 3 scholarships.  Scorers!!  Hyper quick scoring guards with relentless motors.  Penetration

agree.  i am not the kind of person to constantly complain about things i cannot change, things that are already determined. 
    so, to ask anyone intrerested, do you honestly think the 5 new players we've signed so far are, realistically, the answer to a solid year?  in other words, are true freshmen and NAIA players enough?  this year counts as much as any year counts no matter who the coach is- so sadly, there really are no longer any grace periods.  many fans will become upset, to say the least.

Obinna Anochili-Killen (1 year)
    Nate Martin (1 year)
    Kyle Braun (1 year)
    Creighton Theineman (non-scholarship) (2 years)
    Wyatt Fricks (2 years)
    Kycen Pruett (3 years)
    Ryan Nutter (3 years)

Erich Harding (4 years)
    Will Moore (4 years)
    Mikal Dawson (1 year)
    Cade Gibbs (1 year)
    Jakob Gibbs (1 year)

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2024, 03:49:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • agree.  i am not the kind of person to constantly complain about things i cannot change, things that are already determined. 
    so, to ask anyone intrerested, do you honestly think the 5 new players we've signed so far are, realistically, the answer to a solid year?  in other words, are true freshmen and NAIA players enough?  this year counts as much as any year counts no matter who the coach is- so sadly, there really are no longer any grace periods.  many fans will become upset, to say the least.

Nate Martin (1 year)
    Kyle Braun (1 year)
    Wyatt Fricks (2 years)
    Kycen Pruett (3 years)
    Ryan Nutter (3 years)

Erich Harding (4 years)
    Will Moore (4 years)
    Mikal Dawson (1 year)
    Cade Gibbs (1 year)
    Jakob Gibbs (1 year)

No I do not. But I think Dawson and the 2 Gibbs brings much better defense and quickness. I'm counting on a couple good guards to create for those 3 and Obinna and Martin. If we get a couple really good guards then I think we have something.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herd1990

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2024, 04:32:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • agree.  i am not the kind of person to constantly complain about things i cannot change, things that are already determined. 

Nate Martin (1 year)
    Kyle Braun (1 year)
    Wyatt Fricks (2 years)
    Kycen Pruett (3 years)
    Ryan Nutter (3 years)

Erich Harding (4 years)
    Will Moore (4 years)
    Mikal Dawson (1 year)
    Cade Gibbs (1 year)
    Jakob Gibbs (1 year)

Easily the worst roster in the Sun Belt.  And it's not really close.  4 returners who aren't D1 level and now adding 2 above average NAIA players and a couple unproven freshman.  Not blaming Corny.  He was left with a steaming pile of doo doo.  Gonna take him 3-4 years to field a respectable team.

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2024, 05:43:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Easily the worst roster in the Sun Belt.  And it's not really close.  4 returners who aren't D1 level and now adding 2 above average NAIA players and a couple unproven freshman.  Not blaming Corny.  He was left with a steaming pile of doo doo.  Gonna take him 3-4 years to field a respectable team.

He doesn't have 4 years.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, wlf, miltonherdfan, MUonium

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2024, 05:46:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He doesn't have 4 years.
    No one needs 4 years in bball.  Especially now.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop, MUonium

Offline MUther

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2024, 06:18:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That?s about 12ppg avg between the two.  Get 3 more 12ppg scorers and we can get to 78ppg nightly

It's 13.5 points per game, average, per player, according to the information given.  But, you know, maths.

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2024, 07:19:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He doesn't have 4 years.

WE (program) don't have 4 years!  Especially when there's no reason to believe he'll ever get us there...he has no track record.

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2024, 07:55:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Where/what is "get us there?"   Corny indeed has never been a head coach.   Billy D hadn't been a head coach.   Dana Altman hadn't been a head coach.   Dwight hadn't been a head coach.   Greg White hadn't been a D1 head coach.   Dan hadn't been a college coach.    Where does he need to get us?   Does that mean consistently winning conference championships?  Nobody since Huck has done that.   Give Corny a chance.   He's a tireless worker and knows the game as well as anyone!  You're not going to see the lazy recruiting, and the just standing on the sideline with his arms crossed.   You're going to see intensity, and a group of kids that are going to come with energy every night.   I'm gonna keep receipts of all these comments.  We aren't finishing at the bottom of the Sun Belt this year, and I think by year 2, we're competing for a championship.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, yogiherd

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2024, 08:30:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Where/what is "get us there?"   Corny indeed has never been a head coach.   Billy D hadn't been a head coach.   Dana Altman hadn't been a head coach.   Dwight hadn't been a head coach.   Greg White hadn't been a D1 head coach.   Dan hadn't been a college coach.    Where does he need to get us?   Does that mean consistently winning conference championships?  Nobody since Huck has done that.   Give Corny a chance.   He's a tireless worker and knows the game as well as anyone!  You're not going to see the lazy recruiting, and the just standing on the sideline with his arms crossed.   You're going to see intensity, and a group of kids that are going to come with energy every night.   I'm gonna keep receipts of all these comments.  We aren't finishing at the bottom of the Sun Belt this year, and I think by year 2, we're competing for a championship.

I agree about Corny. But why year 2? Next year looks tougher than this year. This year he has Obinna and Martin. Next year be will be starting with less.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2024, 08:30:08 PM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2024, 08:53:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This year can be good with amount free scholarships he had

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785, herdorbust2

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2024, 10:16:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This year can be good with amount free scholarships he had

not to mention the 1s he's gonna continue wasting with braun, nutter, & pruett

1 excuse we shouldn't be hearing next yr is we're just a player or 2 away -- he coulda had another 2-3 players in addition to what he'll be bringing in had he just let go of all the D-II talent

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2024, 10:32:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm saying year 2 because we'll have some NIL money to spend at that point.   This year, we don't have crap.  Bottom barrel in regards to that.   Corny didn't have a say on Braun and Pruett.   Take that up with your AD.    Both families have money and apparently some influence. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HoPPy785

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2024, 10:32:38 PM »