Author Topic: Bearer of bad news...  (Read 14505 times)

Offline banker

Re: Bearer of bad news...
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2017, 03:08:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • I think you made a mistake with the subject title.  It should say "Bearer of bad opinion..."

Why, because we had an exciting, overtime, home victory over a team outside of the RPI 100?  I loved the game and the outcome, but it is what it is.  They scored about 15 points over their average on us not counting the overtime.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2017, 03:08:23 PM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2017, 03:13:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And we scored about 22 points over what they were giving up. And we didn't even score the first 8+ minutes of the game. And like i said Pitt beat us by 6. Pitt beat Virgina by like 12. We took Cincinnati to OT. ODU took Louisville to OT and beat St Johns. Why are you complaining about a program that is moving year by year in a direction it hasn't seen in decades?  Either you don't go to the games and?or practice and know what is going on and were it's headed or you just don't want to give your school any credit.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, chris88, Apollo

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why, because we had an exciting, overtime, home victory over a team outside of the RPI 100?  I loved the game and the outcome, but it is what it is.  They scored about 15 points over their average on us not counting the overtime.

And we scored 21 over their average not counting the overtime.. They scored 86 points last night on 76 shot attempts.
    « Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 03:24:36 PM by Herdalum83 »

Offline bighat

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A win is a win is a win, especially in conference.

The following users thanked this post: The Bull

Offline luvherd

« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2017, 04:18:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This was my second game I was in attendance this year. I could see substantial improvement in defense
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2017, 04:39:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny knows how to coach defense. He doesn't have the size and length right know inside. And also a couple of our guards just aren't capable of shutting down penetration all the time. Once he continues to bring in better talent, length and athleticism then his defenses will improve. For example Burks is very good at shutting down penetration and so is Watson that is sitting out.

Offline banker

« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2017, 10:28:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And we scored about 22 points over what they were giving up. And we didn't even score the first 8+ minutes of the game. And like i said Pitt beat us by 6. Pitt beat Virgina by like 12. We took Cincinnati to OT. ODU took Louisville to OT and beat St Johns. Why are you complaining about a program that is moving year by year in a direction it hasn't seen in decades?  Either you don't go to the games and?or practice and know what is going on and were it's headed or you just don't want to give your school any credit.

Look, I understand you were trying to be cute with your remark about my OP, but nothing I said has been invalidated. We beat the 108ty RPI team, at home, in overtime. My issue is that I fear our style can not hold up to win 3 games in 3 days when you start getting tired legs.

Why any concern has to be interpreted as a slight against the coach or the team is confusing to me.  I like the kids on the team and what Dan is doing, especially compared to where the football team and staff are these days.  I hope they win the conference and tear it up in the NCAAs, I just have my reservations that the style can win a conference tournament. That's it. 

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep we beat the 108th best team in basketball. That is like beating the 43rd team in football. Not bad at all. You use the 100+ like it is horrible. But you do realize there are 300+ teams in basketball and only 128 in football, right? Heck i could make a top 25 in basketball that doesn't even play football. A much different animal than football. And ODU is pretty darn good. Ask Louisville (OT). Ask LSU, St Johns and VCU. If you don't like the style DD plays and don't think it will ever amount to anything, then don't watch it. Simple as that.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, horsrman

Offline MUonium

« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2017, 09:57:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • nobody can deny that we have adjusted to "half-court" offense when the shots aren't falling.  Herd is not as one-dimensional as people want to "box" it.  it just takes a little time and a full bench and i see proof that this team is progressing (confidence in whatever you are executing).  injuries are part of the game and no excuse. 

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, Herdalum83

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Look, I understand you were trying to be cute with your remark about my OP, but nothing I said has been invalidated. We beat the 108ty RPI team, at home, in overtime. My issue is that I fear our style can not hold up to win 3 games in 3 days when you start getting tired legs.

Why any concern has to be interpreted as a slight against the coach or the team is confusing to me.  I like the kids on the team and what Dan is doing, especially compared to where the football team and staff are these days.  I hope they win the conference and tear it up in the NCAAs, I just have my reservations that the style can win a conference tournament. That's it.

You have a point but the other teams are going to be playing 3 in 3 as well. We need to continue to develop the depth. Elmore look tired in that game against MTSU last year.

Vegas, LMU and Arkansas were all high tempo teams and 2/3 won the tourney and LMU lost their star player or they could have reached the final four. Look wvu they press for 40 minutes.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2017, 11:20:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really hate to say this, because I like the kids on the basketball team and think they play hard and with a lot of effort, but any hope that this style can win anything is fool's gold.  Yes, if we are hot from 3 land then we will hang with anyone.  That might even get us an unexpected great win occasionally, but for tournament basketball, where you have to be hot 3 or 4 nights in a row - just don't see it happening.

Golden St won an NBA title going thru the playoffs and almost did it back to back. And you say we have to stay hot? Not really. Did you go to the ODU game? The second half we attacked the basket nonstop. That is the beauty of DD system. It spreads the floor as well as anyone in college basketball. If the shots aren't falling they start penetrating and using pick and rolls. Like the toledo coach and others have said. Marshall spreads the floor and is the toughest team they have faced offensively. We don't just jack up 3's without a system. The ball is moving quickly and all 5 players are flowing which opens up the floor. They are hard to guard even going to the basketball.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Golden St won an NBA title going thru the playoffs and almost did it back to back. And you say we have to stay hot? Not really. Did you go to the ODU game? The second half we attacked the basket nonstop. That is the beauty of DD system. It spreads the floor as well as anyone in college basketball. If the shots aren't falling they start penetrating and using pick and rolls. Like the toledo coach and others have said. Marshall spreads the floor and is the toughest team they have faced offensively. We don't just jack up 3's without a system. The ball is moving quickly and all 5 players are flowing which opens up the floor. They are hard to guard even going to the basketball.

Great point. They get to the hoop and get fouled.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Golden St won an NBA title going thru the playoffs and almost did it back to back. And you say we have to stay hot? Not really. Did you go to the ODU game? The second half we attacked the basket nonstop. That is the beauty of DD system. It spreads the floor as well as anyone in college basketball. If the shots aren't falling they start penetrating and using pick and rolls. Like the toledo coach and others have said. Marshall spreads the floor and is the toughest team they have faced offensively. We don't just jack up 3's without a system. The ball is moving quickly and all 5 players are flowing which opens up the floor. They are hard to guard even going to the basketball.

Yep, it only stalls when we get going fast for the sake of it and start taking bad 3s. This is something DD says he is still working on with the team as they occasionally fall into bad habits and force 3s. He wants manufactured 3s not ones just jacked up out of nowhere. The team has gotten much better at manufacturing more good 3s and not forcing bad ones as the season has went on.

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2017, 01:24:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hang on to your bippys  guys. In a couple of years this team could be scary good.  Time will tell. 8)

TRS
    MU 71

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hang on to your bippys  guys. In a couple of years this team could be scary good.  Time will tell. 8)

TRS
    MU 71

That is the year i have been pointing to TRS. Anyone that has seen the Williams kid (and can imagine how he could look in 2 years. Along with Peneva a SR. And Bennett along with Burks a SR, Watson etc... Like you said, they could be scary good. I like the progress and how DD's teams just keep getting better year after year.

Offline The Bull

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why, because we had an exciting, overtime, home victory over a team outside of the RPI 100?  I loved the game and the outcome, but it is what it is.  They scored about 15 points over their average on us not counting the overtime.

Because this is not news. It is your opinion. That is why, and I posted this days before the ODU game. Your opinions are not "news" so humble yourself.

Offline The Bull

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2017, 02:20:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Look, I understand you were trying to be cute with your remark about my OP, but nothing I said has been invalidated. We beat the 108ty RPI team, at home, in overtime. My issue is that I fear our style can not hold up to win 3 games in 3 days when you start getting tired legs.

Again, your opinion. Not news!

Offline banker

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2017, 05:59:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, I sincerely hope you guys are right and I'm wrong.  I'll ignore the fact that we are 10-6 (9-6 against D-1) and act like we're 14-2 like you guys seem to think.  I'll ignore the fact that we are 0-4 against the RPI top 100 and be excited that our best win is against current RPI 109 NC Central (who is 6-5).

Like I said, this is a fun team to watch and the kids all seem to be great representatives for the university. 

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • No body is acting like we are 14-2 but I do believe this team is better than its 10-6 record. We are just a couple of plays away from being 12-4 or 13-3.

And I understand that we had some losses undermanned that I don't believe we would have had if those games were played today. For example I think we beat EKU and Akron or UTC if Burks or Thompson could have went in those games.

We choked away a win at Cincy but it was a good teaching moment. Pretending like the team that's going to take the floor tonight is the same as the team that played those games a month ago just isn't true.

We may not be a great team but we have a legitimate shot to win this league and that's huge improvement.
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:09:22 PM by Herdalum83 »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2017, 09:43:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, I sincerely hope you guys are right and I'm wrong.  I'll ignore the fact that we are 10-6 (9-6 against D-1) and act like we're 14-2 like you guys seem to think.  I'll ignore the fact that we are 0-4 against the RPI top 100 and be excited that our best win is against current RPI 109 NC Central (who is 6-5).

Like I said, this is a fun team to watch and the kids all seem to be great representatives for the university.
    [/quotYou are just used to other coaches playing OOC cupcakes. DD doesn't do that. Even UTC, AKRON, Toledo and others are very solid programs. But i'm sure you will come on here if we do lose in the CUSA tournament and tell us how right you were. I'm enjoying the ride because it is getting better every year. It's visible for all to see.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2017, 10:16:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No body is acting like we are 14-2 but I do believe this team is better than its 10-6 record. We are just a couple of plays away from being 12-4 or 13-3.

And I understand that we had some losses undermanned that I don't believe we would have had if those games were played today. For example I think we beat EKU and Akron or UTC if Burks or Thompson could have went in those games.

We choked away a win at Cincy but it was a good teaching moment. Pretending like the team that's going to take the floor tonight is the same as the team that played those games a month ago just isn't true.

We may not be a great team but we have a legitimate shot to win this league and that's huge improvement.

not to mention we have yet to play a game with our top 6 players.  CJ set the entire first semester.  Ryan was out for a few games.  Terrance has been out for a long while now.  We haven't played with the top 6 yet....but hey, let's be negative.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Lol

HerdFans.com

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »

Offline CamdenPark

« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2017, 06:51:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really hate to say this, because I like the kids on the basketball team and think they play hard and with a lot of effort, but any hope that this style can win anything is fool's gold.  Yes, if we are hot from 3 land then we will hang with anyone.  That might even get us an unexpected great win occasionally, but for tournament basketball, where you have to be hot 3 or 4 nights in a row - just don't see it happening.

C-USA Men's Basketball Standings

Marshall                 4-0
    Middle Tennessee   3-0
    Old Dominion         3-1
    Western Kentucky  3-1
    Louisiana Tech       2-1
    UAB                       2-1
    UTSA                     2-1
    Southern Miss        2-1
    FAU                       1-2
    Rice                       1-3
    Charlotte               1-3
    FIU                        0-3
    UTEP                     0-3
    North Texas           0-4

Offline elginherd

« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2017, 07:05:15 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

TRS
    MU 71

If you watch Pitt's coach's post game talk, he pointed out that the 16-17 Herd is scary now. From what I've been able to watch, this team has some obvious holes defensively (personal-wise) but makes up for that in shear hustle and good-to-great O.

I just remember all the disparaging remarks on this board about "he's only a HS coach" or that "there's no coaching in the NBA", etc, etc. If DD had been hired right after the brothers left the Suns, Herd b-ball would have been way ahead of the curve in playing the modern game. I am really impressed with what he has done with the available resources.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline banker

« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2017, 09:51:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  •  

HerdFans.com

« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2017, 09:51:39 PM »