Author Topic: Here is your coaching scoop..................  (Read 11014 times)

Offline HerdNBluefield79

• Varsity
Here is your coaching scoop..................
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2005, 12:34:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HerdZone"
    Quote from: "2xBison"
    herdzone

the more you post, the more most of us here are glad you aren't the AD.

then again, i'm not so sure i'm glad kayo is the ad either after the dantoni/jirsa screw up.

OK as I tell other ppl some PPL from other schools and have to remind myself sometimes now "GET YOUR GREEN AND WHITE GLASSES OFF" You have to look at the coaching a serious issue, this you seem not to be doing. And sorry Doc Holiday, form WVU or the Moon is qulified to be our coach.

1. He's a Top 25 recruiter
    2. He's a Top 5 recruiter in the state of FL
    3. He broaden our fan base (He may even bring Nelen's support)
    4. He would get a 1-1 series done with WVU (now or quicker)
    5. He would get more 1-1s where we couldn't get them

Again you have to look at this search objectively and not straight forward.

True and I agree, but you have to look at our fanbase with the posts I've read - I think many fans would feel awkward with a WVU alumnus as our coach.

Don't get me wrong, he would bring a lot to the table if he arrived at Marshall - I think success and wanting to succeed would drive him and I wouldn't believe for a second some conspiracy.

But, fans would scratch their head if one of their own were passed up for a WVU alumnus.
    In the middle of Huntington, West Virginia, there is a river. Next to this river, there is a steel mill. And next to the steel mill, there's a school. In the middle of this school, there's a fountain. Each year, on the exact same day, the exact same hour, the water to this fountain is turned off. And in this moment, once every year, throughout the town, throughout the school, time stands still.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2005, 12:34:01 PM »

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    Re: ...
    « Reply #51 on: March 19, 2005, 12:39:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "_sturt_"
    Quote from: "pokey"
    forgot to note..........I bet Florida St. is glad that they never marked off former mountaineers off their short list......i believe that Bowden guy has done some pretty decent things at FSU...............and when he took over there, FSU was in worse shape than we currently are.

Begging your pardon, but your point fails to strike at the heart of why some discount Holliday... a more appropriate comparison would be to imagine whether FSU considered a Florida guy... or if Auburn ever considered an Alabama guy.

Come to think of it, wasn't Pat Dye snatched by Auburn off of Bryant's staff?

And, of course, Louisville took a Kentucky guy (Pitino), but that was a former head coach... maybe they would have too much pride to have ever taken an Assistant... but the more interesting question there is...

Just imagine that it were possible to get Don Nehlen to come out of retirement... would you take him to lead the Herd???

:razz:

i would take Nehlen in a heartbeat IF WE WON!!!  He would bring in alot of dollars and alot of instate political pull.............he has talked to Marcum about Holliday, he is the one who placed the call from my understanding, and don't you think that Holliday would bring in Nehlens base and Nehlens political support?  In case you havn't noticed........Nehlen has pretty much distanced himself from that university in the last 5 years.  I think that Holliday may be a better coach than Nehlen at this point........he has gained some great experience under Amato (Bowden disciple) and now has had a brief stint under Urban Meyer.  If that isn't offensive minded enough for you guys, then i don't know what is.
    *Nothing is more powerful than the truth.
    *You will never be persuasive being abrasive.

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #52 on: March 19, 2005, 12:41:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • face it.......the current fan base is solid (and the rest of it is wishy/washy and sucks in my opinion).....we need someone who will bring in the rest of the state and area......

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #53 on: March 19, 2005, 12:52:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "pokey"
    face it.......the current fan base is solid (and the rest of it is wishy/washy and sucks in my opinion).....we need someone who will bring in the rest of the state and area......

Correct Pokey and if thats getting Nelen here in some way then Im sorry folks. As you say, "Swallow your pride" And Lets "Get R Done".

If Nelen would support Marshall then we would have a whole new crop of supporters. Not to mention next generation Herd fans. If this is what it takes then we are going to have to do it.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    Re: ...
    « Reply #54 on: March 19, 2005, 12:59:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "_sturt_"
    Just imagine that it were possible to get Don Nehlen to come out of retirement... would you take him to lead the Herd???

:razz:

If it were possibe WVU/Marshall series starts I could hear the announcers now on ESPN. Half of them would be saying DON NELEN coach of WVU. It would most likely just come natual still when they seen his name.

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #55 on: March 19, 2005, 01:03:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • let me clear up my position:

I would fully support any of the following if they were named head coach:
    Snyder, Kueck, Holliday or Donnan......i think they all have their positives.  Which one has the MOST positives?  Im leaving that up to the athletic director.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #56 on: March 19, 2005, 01:11:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Leave it up to the AD,

But who do you think has the inside track. I won't ask who you think will be named coach.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2005, 01:17:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Speaking of the AD. I was just wondering how the new HC will be able to fit in with the new AD. Is it possible that the University has already made a decision on a new AD, and thus, the coaching selection will be influenced by such a decision?

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:grin:

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #58 on: March 19, 2005, 01:17:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • to be honest i really dont know at this point, but i was "told" last saturday that Holliday would be named our head coach by the end of spring practice...........I was 100% sure of it.  But the silence of his name in a few "inside" articles and the rumors of Snyder  has left me to question that.  At this point, i can HONESTLY say that i have as much clue as the next guy who will be named Head Coach........i do know that a few insiders are making a late push at Donnan.

Offline herdman

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2005, 01:18:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1)We don't need Don Nehlen to save our program. That is way out in left field fellas. Way out there.  I am not even following you guys here. wvu folks are loyal to wvu and they are going to suddenly become Marshall fans because Nehlen's boy is at Marshall

2)Let's say you hire Holliday, who is a safeties coach at Florida, and he has success. Rodgales leaves wvu for whatever reason. Holliday says bye to Marshall and goes to wvu.  That is a nightmare scenario.

3)What are Holiday's credentials. He is a good recruiter. OK. But, a head coach is much more than a recruiter.  He is a safeties coach for Pete's sake. Don't sell ourselves short.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2005, 01:20:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I, personally do not feel Donnan would be a good fit within the new administration, but personally I like the man.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #61 on: March 19, 2005, 01:21:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Has anyone taken into account that our main goal was to reach the Big East in 2008?  Who can build our program to be ready for that conference?  I don't know, but maybe the AD is thinking about the big picture too...........this is just something to think about, not saying thats what he's thinking.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2005, 01:21:09 PM »

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2005, 01:25:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is where the State comes into play in the selection process. It doesn't matter what M'twm want's, or thinks.  It's is important what the Beckely/Charleston corridor thinks of the hire.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #63 on: March 19, 2005, 01:29:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • John “Doc” Holliday
    Coaching Experience
    2005 Florida (Safeties)
    2000-04 N.C. State (Associate Head Coach/Wide Receivers)
    1995-99 West Virginia (Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers)
    1993-95 West Virginia (Wide Receivers)
    1990-92 West Virginia (Inside Linebackers)
    1983-89 West Virginia (Wide Receivers)
    1981-82 West Virginia (Part-time assistant)
    1979-80 West Virginia (Graduate Assistant)
    Coaching Accomplishments
    - 27 years of collegiate coaching experience with 16 bowl
    appearances, including one national championship game.
    - Named one of Rivals.com's Top 25 recruiters for 2005.
    - The 2003 N.C. State team set school records in almost every
    statistical category: pass attempts (496), pass completions (357), passing
    yards (4,580), passing yards per game (352.3), passing TDs (35) and
    pass completion percentage (.720).
    - The 2003 N.C. State team also topped school marks with
    37.6 points per game, 453.2 total offense yards per game, 311 first
    downs and 6.6 yards per play.
    - The 2002 squad finished first in school history in total yards
    (5,485), passing yards (3,468), most points scored (460) and most first
    downs (281).
    - The 2002 N.C. State offense led the ACC in scoring (32.9
    ppg).
    - The 2001 Wolfpack offense set school records for completion
    percentage (.644) and fewest turnovers (13).
    - Coached three of the top-eight receivers in N.C. State history (Koren
    Robinson, Bryan Peterson and Jerricho Cotchery).
    - Coached three of the top six receivers in Big East history at
    West Virginia.
    - Directed the Big East's leading receiver in 1996, 1997 and
    - The Mountaineers played for one national championship
    (1989).
    - Coached the top three career and single-season reception
    leaders in WVU history and eight of the top 10 players in both categories.
    NFL PLAYERS (Round drafted)
    WR Willie Drewery (11th) - West Virginia '83 - Houston Oilers
    WR Reggie Rembert (2nd) - West Virginia '89 - Cincinnati Bengals
    OL Rashan Vanter Pool (4th) - West Virginia '90 - Indianapolis Colts
    LB Steve Grant (10th) - West Virginia '91- Indianapolis Colts
    WR James Jett (FA) - West Virginia '92 - Oakland Raiders
    WR Jay Kearney (6th) - West Virginia '93 - Green Bay Packers
    LB Shawn Foreman (5th) - West Virginia '98 - Buffalo Bills
    WR Jerricho Cotchery, (4th) - N.C. State '02 - New Yok Jets
    WR Koren Roberson (1st) - N.C. State '02 - Seattle Seahawks

How can anyone argue this track record.   Yes he is a safeties coach but was an assistant head coach at wVU and NCState......thats as close to a head coach as it gets.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2005, 01:35:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's not a bad resume for a good ole boy from Putnam Co.! I wonder why Mecca didn't make the hire? There were a lot of bad feeling's in part's of the state because they didn't. Here's a man on a mission.  Here's a man with loyal fans on a mission.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #65 on: March 19, 2005, 01:36:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "herdman"
    1)We don't need Don Nehlen to save our program. That is way out in left field fellas. Way out there.  I am not even following you guys here. wvu folks are loyal to wvu and they are going to suddenly become Marshall fans because Nehlen's boy is at Marshall

2)Let's say you hire Holliday, who is a safeties coach at Florida, and he has success. Rodgales leaves wvu for whatever reason. Holliday says bye to Marshall and goes to wvu.  That is a nightmare scenario.

3)What are Holiday's credentials. He is a good recruiter. OK. But, a head coach is much more than a recruiter.  He is a safeties coach for Pete's sake. Don't sell ourselves short.

Holiday has a grudge against WVU in General. He's not going back. As far as your other points let me take them

1) No 1 said Nelen was coming to save the program. Marshall is far from needing to be saved. What Nelen can do if Holiday is broght in, is bring in a whole in Crop of Herd fans, as Pokey said we are trying to get to the BE. Attend is going to be a big issue. If we can have our attend up around 40K by then and still win. We should pull it off. Nelen would be like finding an extra 20 in your wallet. And knowing what to do with it.

3) Was Pruett ever a head coach on the college level before coming to Marshall. Holiday like Pruett coached at the HS level and was in the playoffs every year.

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #66 on: March 19, 2005, 01:46:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • let's all just agree that we have MANY good options to choose from.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2005, 01:49:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nehlen is nothing more than an endorsement for his associate head coach Doc Holliday. He's not going to do anything much more that what he has already done. Holiday, on the other hand has a herd on, and would love to return home, and possibly settle a few issues.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    « Reply #68 on: March 19, 2005, 01:50:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    and don't you think that Holliday would bring in Nehlens base and Nehlens political support?

I can only speak from family experience but many of the men (if you choose to call them that  :lol: ) are life long WVU fans.  Don Nehlen himself could coach the Herd and they still wouldn't wizz on our stadium if it was on fire.  There may be a very small number of WVU well wishers out there that are not die hard fans that might come see the Herd because of a local boy running the program.  But he's not going to win the hearts of any WVU FANS at all.  I'm not saying he would make them hate the program more, but he's not going to get them to mellow either.
    Gatorade sucks.  Water is better.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2005, 01:53:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BGT, there is a certain amount of truth to you post.  However, we don't want to overlook what a cemented relationship with the press can accomplish.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #70 on: March 19, 2005, 01:54:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • there isn't going to be a mass exodus by wvu fans to marshall, dont get me wrong......there are some fringe fans who could be persuaded by this hire.....mainly the Teays Valley area with him being a Hurricane native......I really think he could bring in at least 5K extra fans from the start...i really do.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #71 on: March 19, 2005, 01:56:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As Pokey said though, there are some, many WVU/Nelen fans that do not support WVU anymore. And Ive heard would not support them. Now if we could get Nelen to support Narshall some way some how, a lot of those may just may dawn the Green and White for the first time ever.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2005, 01:56:35 PM »

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2005, 01:57:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 5,000 more average fans moves us on up to the upper level of C-USA, and positions us for a push to move on up.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    « Reply #73 on: March 19, 2005, 01:59:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "pokey"
    there isn't going to be a mass exodus by wvu fans to marshall, dont get me wrong......there are some fringe fans who could be persuaded by this hire.....mainly the Teays Valley area with him being a Hurricane native......I really think he could bring in at least 5K extra fans from the start...i really do.

My brother knows Mr. Holliday personally. (Sorry guys, I have absolutely no inside information about if he's been interviewed or anything).  My brother and I were born and raised in Hurricane and he has lived there his entire 47 years of his life.  But he to this day called WVU's QB Rasheed because he didn't want to have to say "Marshall had a good game."   :lol:   Even if he likes Holliday as a person, it still won't win him over at all as to how he feels about Marshall.  Again, that is just my brother but I bet he's not alone.
    Gatorade sucks.  Water is better.

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #74 on: March 19, 2005, 02:01:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • exactly.....step by step.  I think everyone is looking for the person who is going to pack 40K fans in the stadium every game and go undefeated every year in C-USA.........it isn't going to happen just like that.  We need to build fan base, and in turn build $$$ to get past the current growing pains.........how can we build this up?  I think a few candidates can get it done.  There is a balance that we need   winning/$$$.  Some candidates are stronger in one area or the other......who is going to be the most balanced and most qualified candidate.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2005, 02:01:49 PM »