Author Topic: Here is your coaching scoop..................  (Read 11017 times)

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
  • Member Since 12/2009
Here is your coaching scoop..................
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2005, 03:00:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "carolinaherdfan"
    I believe the four top candidates under consideration for the HC position are Synder, Kueck, Holiday, and Whimpee.

I think you have 3 the other is Foster not Whimpee

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2005, 03:00:45 PM »

Offline Chico

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #26 on: March 18, 2005, 03:09:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • HerdZone are you talking about Bud Foster from Virginia Tech?  Is he even in the loop or are you just throwing his name in the hat.  I've always felt that he would make an excellent HC somewhere.
    Go Herd...

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2005, 03:16:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chico, no disrespect intended to you, or HZ for answering, but I don't believe the AD has contacted Foster.  He could be the sleeper, and potentially a great hire, but we would have to contact him first.

:P

p.s. yes, it's that Foster!

GOTHUNDERINGHERD!

Offline Chico

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #28 on: March 18, 2005, 03:26:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No disrepect taken.  I've watched this guy on the sidelines from time to time when VT is on TV.  He seem very intense and I think he would be a sleeper as well.  The only problem would be if he was a good HC, Marshall would just be a stepping stone.  JMO...
    Go Herd...

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2005, 03:35:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm approaching 40, and old enough to know we don't need a wvu grad.

and lastly, we aren't hiring a recruiting coordinator, we're hiring a head coach.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #30 on: March 18, 2005, 03:42:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bud Foster is interested in the job.........

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2005, 03:48:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 2x, I know how you feel, and have some feelings about such a hire myself.  However, this is becomming much more than the simple hiring of a new HC.  We are in the process of massaging, or polishing our ruff edges to align ourselves with the powers that be, so we can be better tolerated within the entire State of West Virginia, and of course Mecca!

There is also a greater need to extend our fan base east of Milton/Hurricane, WV, so I don't know who will be hired at this time, but I do know all of this is carefully being considered.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:P

Offline Chico

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #32 on: March 18, 2005, 03:50:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Garbanjo,
         Please fill me in with sources.  I'm high on Snyder when it comes to the current candidates.  But with Foster in the mix, I have to say I wouldn't object.  However, I still would like to see Snyder roll into town as the new HC.
    Go Herd...

Offline greenday

• Practice Squad
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #33 on: March 18, 2005, 04:06:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not in favor of Holliday either.  If he was hired, every other phrase out of the media would be "when he was at wvu", "at wvu", "the wvu alumnist", blah, blah, blah, etc.  I would rather hear "when he played at Marshall", "the Marshall alumnist", etc.  I could even stomach hearing OSU every now and then since that is an actual elite program.  

I want Snyder, but I'll be satisfied with Kueck if he is the guy who is chosen.  I think everyone else on the list are huge longshots.

Offline boogie

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #34 on: March 18, 2005, 05:48:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • SNYDER HAS BEEN ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL.
    NORTH EAST OKLAHOMA QB

Offline marshall fanatic

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 02/2004
    « Reply #35 on: March 18, 2005, 06:28:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Big Green I was just posting what other people have been saying about Kueck. Personally I do not fell he is the man for the job due to his track record.

Offline The Decorator

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #36 on: March 18, 2005, 07:07:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    I'm approaching 40, and old enough to know we don't need a wvu grad.

and lastly, we aren't hiring a recruiting coordinator, we're hiring a head coach.

This is true, but one of the most important things about coaching is to recruit the best.  You can be a great coach, but if your boys don't have the ability, they won't contend with the rest of the pack.  any of the potential candidates that have been thrown around will be good coaches (i believe) but only some of them are great recruiters.  therefore, i like holliday.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2005, 07:07:55 PM »

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #37 on: March 18, 2005, 07:30:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "The Decorator"
    but only some of them are great recruiters.  therefore, i like holliday.

Holiday, Foster and Snyder would be able to recruit. Holiday we may bring some fans over not including Don Nehlen support maybe. Any 3 of these would get my support. We've gotta get the mindset outta our heads that Holiday is a WVU guy. If he is brought here he may get us a 1-1 series done with WVU sooner and may get some done with other Universities that we wouldn't get otherwise.

:P We are entering a new Era in Marshall Football, Hate WVU, YEP I still do. But if Doc Holiday is choosen as coach I think its an excellent choice. He has many ties to recruiting, a top 5 recruiter in FL. and can most likely bring over some fanbase that we need.

Offline herdman

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2005, 07:54:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way in Hell do we hire a wvu guy to be our head coach. No way. Plus, he isn't qualified to be our head coach.

I would be sick to my stomach if he was hired.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #39 on: March 18, 2005, 09:24:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "herdman"
    No way in Hell do we hire a wvu guy to be our head coach. No way. Plus, he isn't qualified to be our head coach.

I would be sick to my stomach if he was hired.

Good thing you're no AD

Offline ATHENSHERDFAN

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2005, 10:42:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdman, 2xbison I agree and anyone else...NO FORMER BLUE AND YELLA LEADING MY HERD ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be horrible to even think. The only thing worse would be if Don Nehlen's name is ever mentiond again in association with the search for our next HC.

Wolf, you should ban and then have anyone that does, arrested! I would rather swim in a pool of vomit and  :-?  than have one of those people as a head coach. I can hear the laughter now.
    HERD FAN FOREVER!

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2005, 11:22:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • HZ, you may be on the line of thinking of the State.  I don't know, but I think you may have touched on part of the equation.  The other being to broaden our fan base.

I once asked a fellow from L'ville what it was like being a Cardinal fan in Ky.. He replied, not nearly as bad as being a Ky. fan in L'ville.  Yet, when they needed someone to coach their BB team who die they hire?  Pitino, the former UK head coach. If Doc should be selected as our HC, and do a great job of recruiting, winning etc.. Who's loss, and who's gain would it be?

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:cool:

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2005, 10:41:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • herdzone

the more you post, the more most of us here are glad you aren't the AD.

then again, i'm not so sure i'm glad kayo is the ad either after the dantoni/jirsa screw up.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    « Reply #43 on: March 19, 2005, 12:11:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    He replied, not nearly as bad as being a Ky. fan in L'ville.

Not entirely true.  I work in L'ville and was very surprised at the number of UK fans their are that live there.  I've been to quite a few Doctor offices that I call on that have UK memorabilia hanging on the wall.  I also work in Lexington and while I do see some cardinal stuff, it's nothing like the amount of UK stuff I see in L'ville.  In northern KY, (where I live) it's easily 85% UK fans.  The rest is scattered between UC, OSU, UL and other schools.  But that state bleeds blue border to border.  PS, I am no UK fan.  Don't necessarily hate them, just didn't want to come across as having two loyalties.
    Gatorade sucks.  Water is better.

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #44 on: March 19, 2005, 12:21:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HerdZone"
    Quote from: "The Decorator"
    but only some of them are great recruiters.  therefore, i like holliday.

Holiday, Foster and Snyder would be able to recruit. Holiday we may bring some fans over not including Don Nehlen support maybe. Any 3 of these would get my support. We've gotta get the mindset outta our heads that Holiday is a WVU guy. If he is brought here he may get us a 1-1 series done with WVU sooner and may get some done with other Universities that we wouldn't get otherwise.

:P We are entering a new Era in Marshall Football, Hate WVU, YEP I still do. But if Doc Holiday is choosen as coach I think its an excellent choice. He has many ties to recruiting, a top 5 recruiter in FL. and can most likely bring over some fanbase that we need.

Finally, someone rational.   Thank you Herdzone.   What people dont realize is that Holiday is a Nehlen-era mountaineer, and there are many people in our local area that DONT give to the program, and DONT go to our games that could be persuaded with Holliday at the helm.  It's no secret that many WVU fans are not happy with Rodriguez............if there is a time to build fan base this is it......while we make a conference change.  Plus he is a hurricane native.  Not to mention he is a top-notch recruiter, and has deep-knowledge of OUR system while at NC State for 5 years under Amato and our former offensive coordinator.  Just because he USED to coach at WVU does not make him anti-Marshall...I think his motivation to prove that he IS the best coach in the state is a bonus too.  Im not sold at all on all of the anti-Holliday, anti-WVU speak.
    *Nothing is more powerful than the truth.
    *You will never be persuasive being abrasive.

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #45 on: March 19, 2005, 12:23:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • forgot to note..........I bet Florida St. is glad that they never marked off former mountaineers off their short list......i believe that Bowden guy has done some pretty decent things at FSU...............and when he took over there, FSU was in worse shape than we currently are.
    *Nothing is more powerful than the truth.
    *You will never be persuasive being abrasive.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2005, 12:26:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    I bet Florida St. is glad that they never marked off former mountaineers off their short list
    Pokey, Bowden isnt a former wvu grad...he was a former wvu coach those knuckleheads ran off.  Thats an extreme difference.  Also, I dont have a problem if a coach has coached at the who...I just dont want a grad from that school leading MU.  Plain and simple.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2005, 12:26:41 PM »

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #47 on: March 19, 2005, 12:28:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "2xBison"
    herdzone

the more you post, the more most of us here are glad you aren't the AD.

then again, i'm not so sure i'm glad kayo is the ad either after the dantoni/jirsa screw up.

OK as I tell other ppl some PPL from other schools and have to remind myself sometimes now "GET YOUR GREEN AND WHITE GLASSES OFF" You have to look at the coaching a serious issue, this you seem not to be doing. And sorry Doc Holiday, form WVU or the Moon is qulified to be our coach.

1. He's a Top 25 recruiter
    2. He's a Top 5 recruiter in the state of FL
    3. He broaden our fan base (He may even bring Nelen's support)
    4. He would get a 1-1 series done with WVU (now or quicker)
    5. He would get more 1-1s where we couldn't get them

Again you have to look at this search objectively and not straight forward.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2005, 12:29:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "pokey"
    forgot to note..........I bet Florida St. is glad that they never marked off former mountaineers off their short list......i believe that Bowden guy has done some pretty decent things at FSU...............and when he took over there, FSU was in worse shape than we currently are.

Begging your pardon, but your point fails to strike at the heart of why some discount Holliday... a more appropriate comparison would be to imagine whether FSU considered a Florida guy... or if Auburn ever considered an Alabama guy.

Come to think of it, wasn't Pat Dye snatched by Auburn off of Bryant's staff?

And, of course, Louisville took a Kentucky guy (Pitino), but that was a former head coach... maybe they would have too much pride to have ever taken an Assistant... but the more interesting question there is...

Just imagine that it were possible to get Don Nehlen to come out of retirement... would you take him to lead the Herd???

:razz:

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2005, 12:32:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    3. He broaden our fan base (He may even bring Nelen's support)
    4. He would get a 1-1 series done with WVU (now or quicker)
    5. He would get more 1-1s where we couldn't get them
    The first two may be correct, however the last three are your opinions.  Besides if Doc Hoilday has be treated unfairly by the people at wvu--which some people claim-- how could that neccessarily be a good thing for MU?  I would think that would hinder any kind of relationship were trying to build with them.  Now put your green colored glasses back on.  :lol:

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2005, 12:32:54 PM »