Author Topic: Bradshaw Pleads No Contest To Marijuana Charge  (Read 9943 times)

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Head Coach
  • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
Re: Bradshaw Pleads No Contest To Marijuana Charge
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I work with a ton of surgeons. Guess what they don't smoke up before a case. Are there some that do, probably. But I wouldn't ever say a majority do. The effects of marijuana on driving that I posted were actually from various studies on driving and smoking. Both with simulators and field tests. So yeah you could say they are text book. And of course they dependent on how much you smoke before driving. It's the same reason I can drink a beer a be ok to develop but if I drink 20 I'd be screwed.

Yeah, I don't think surgeons especially cardiothoracic surgeons are smoking pot before they operate...If you find one that does, he probably steals the remainder of versed and propofol after the operation too.   

It's really a question of reputation and ethics and those guys maintain the highest ethics and their reputations.  Now some other types of DRs might use pot, but I can't see a  cardiothoracic surgeon doing it.

Secondly, those guys live or die by their malpractice insurance and when they get sued and all their records given out by subpoena...If a surgeon got caught with illegal drugs in his system it would haunt him.  Do you think a hospital would take on the liability
    of retaining a surgeon that uses street drugs?...If they are not testing the DRs then the hospital is violating it's own policy on a maintaining a drug free work place and that is a legal problem as well...

Why would they risk losing everything the worked for to get high before an operation?  I just don't see it.

Finally, surgeons especially vascular surgeons know the real truth about what inhaling smoke does to your vascular system, not necessarily cardiovascular, but vascular. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2015, 04:17:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, I don't think surgeons especially cardiothoracic surgeons are smoking pot before they operate...If you find one that does, he probably steals the remainder of versed and propofol after the operation too.   

It's really a question of reputation and ethics and those guys maintain the highest ethics and their reputations.  Now some other types of DRs might use pot, but I can't see a  cardiothoracic surgeon doing it.

Secondly, those guys live or die by their malpractice insurance and when they get sued and all their records given out by subpoena...If a surgeon got caught with illegal drugs in his system it would haunt him.  Do you think a hospital would take on the liability
    of retaining a surgeon that uses street drugs?...If they are not testing the DRs then the hospital is violating it's own policy on a maintaining a drug free work place and that is a legal problem as well...

Why would they risk losing everything the worked for to get high before an operation?  I just don't see it.

Finally, surgeons especially vascular surgeons know the real truth about what inhaling smoke does to your vascular system, not necessarily cardiovascular, but vascular. 

Probably the best overall post of the whole thread.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #77 on: May 14, 2015, 04:56:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Probably the best overall post of the whole thread.

Thanks

It tough for a guy like me to form an educated opinion about the subject, because much of the information and research is either done by a pro-marijuana group or an anti-marijuana group and the results favor however is footing the bill for the research.  

I guess I'm in the middle so to speak, I think it should non-jailable and people should be able to use it in the privacy of their own

homes and that is about as far as I've gotten my head around.  I 'm not in favor of it being sold at every corner store and gas station in America.  I'd say the medical route of obtaining

marijuana is the most responsible.  I appreciate everyone's opinions and I'm trying to see both sides of the issue.   

Offline chris88

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chris you have probably met tons of regular users over your lifetime and you just don't know it.  It's illegal folks don't broadcast it unless they are stoners or its someone you know well.

I doubt it....not people I have worked with closely or have known for any length of time.  I was around it so much for a long time I can usually tell.  When I was coaching FB I could tell which players were using regularly and was never surprised when they were caught.  At company functions or places I went to with people at a company...I could tell.  Most of them, to be honest, in a social/informal setting...would bring it up eventually once their radar/inhibitions are down.  Sometimes you overhear conversations that most people don't even realize or pick up on. Sometimes you see people disappear for short time periods and return and to me it is obvious. Regular users incorporate it into their lifestyle and seek out others that do as well.  I'm not saying I can just look at a person, but the characteristics to me are usually pretty obvious if you spend any considerable time with them.  I am going to start asking professional people about people they work with etc just to see what they say. The few people I have asked so far agree with me 100%.....those who use regularly that they know are not highly mental functioning people.

Again, I am not in a position to judge anyone.  I'm not saying it makes them a good or bad person. I know people that use it occasionally and some regularly and I like those people very much, but I still wouldn't consider hiring them for a professional position and certainly not a position where other peoples well being (health, money etc) is in their hands. I just don't see how you can be a regular user and be a person that maximizes their potential....I've had too much experience to the contrary.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline Greg H

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't hire a dope head.  It's ILLEGAL.  And even if that's stupid,and it is, respect for law counts.  A lot.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2015, 07:54:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't hire a dope head.  It's ILLEGAL.  And even if that's stupid,and it is, respect for law counts.  A lot.

So you wouldn't hire a person who speeds either?

What about parking tickets, would that be enough for you to say no, I'm not hiring this person?

Just curious, cause at the end of the day, breaking the law is breaking the law.

Offline Greg H

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2015, 08:00:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• So you wouldn't hire a person who speeds either?

What about parking tickets, would that be enough for you to say no, I'm not hiring this person?

Just curious, cause at the end of the day, breaking the law is breaking the law.

It depends if course.   Possession of a schedule 1 substance is a more serious crime (in the eyes of the government).  But a guy who routinely speeds, no.   same with really any habitual flaunting of the law.  But I hire lawyers, not laborers.

Offline herdman

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2015, 09:07:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At some point and time in life, people might just want to grow up. That is what a lot of it boils down to.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2015, 08:08:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It depends if course.   Possession of a schedule 1 substance is a more serious crime (in the eyes of the government).  But a guy who routinely speeds, no.   same with really any habitual flaunting of the law.  But I hire lawyers, not laborers.

Your best post ever, or least worse.

The (in)tolerance toward mind-alternating substances (materials JIC there are actual chemists that read our dribble) including opiates, amphetamines, THC, nicotine, alcohol, etc by employers should be driven by the actual requirements of the job. Holding a 6-year NFL LB to the same standard as a trial attorney or tanker-truck driver is ridiculous.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline herdman

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2015, 08:28:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you were paying that athlete millions of dollars a year and be a representative of your organization, then  you might feel differently.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2015, 08:45:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At some point and time in life, people might just want to grow up. That is what a lot of it boils down to.

Because they are smoking a natural plant that God placed on this Earth?

I bet you consume way worse things on a daily basis.

Man, I wish people like Morgan Freeman would just grow up already. Same can be said for some of our founding fathers such as George Washington, through Abe Lincoln. All the way to guys like JFK.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2015, 08:46:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Greg,

Would you feel differently about it if it were legalized? I guess the question goes to everyone, but just wondering where Greg stands on this. Curious because you are usually not for all these government regulations, just wondering if this is one of the issues where you agree with what the govt is doing.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2015, 08:46:42 PM »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you were paying that athlete millions of dollars a year and be a representative of your organization, then  you might feel differently.

Even Roger Goofball recognizes that within his sport that smoking dope might be the lesser of an evils than prescription pain killers. The NFL only pays a few "millions/year". And the rate of some form of permanent injury exceeds 100% of its players, who often have more than one source of lifetime, life-altering pain or disability.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:52:46 PM by elginherd »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2015, 09:08:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Because they are smoking a natural plant that God placed on this Earth?

I bet you consume way worse things on a daily basis.

Man, I wish people like Morgan Freeman would just grow up already. Same can be said for some of our founding fathers such as George Washington, through Abe Lincoln. All the way to guys like JFK.

God did not place the modern dope plant on this earth...they have been genetically altered by one means or the other.

Just because "it's natural" doesn't mean that a plant isn't poison or harmful.

The problem is what I said: I should not toke-up. For my job it's not appropriate.

For a NFL/NBA player in pain, what's less harmful? Opiate derivatives or dope? (Remember, most of these guys in either league are not in stable positions...especially in the NFL.)

Truck drivers? Definitely not.

Construction labor? As long as your not high on the job. This is similar to the NFL'ers.

Offline Greg H

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Greg,

Would you feel differently about it if it were legalized? I guess the question goes to everyone, but just wondering where Greg stands on this. Curious because you are usually not for all these government regulations, just wondering if this is one of the issues where you agree with what the govt is doing.

Initially, yes, I would feel different.  I would have to see if it effected my people's ability to perform.  I expect it would not, as most of these girls (not many men make the cut) are extreme type A's and highly motivated.  And, I have serious chronic pain, so I would probably do it if I could find weed with little intoxicating effect. 

Bottom line is that I'm NOT a capital R Republican.  I am a small l libertarian.  I have basically no tolerance for government interference in people's lives for any reason.  but if weed effected an employee's performance, they would be gone instantly.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2015, 09:52:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Initially, yes, I would feel different.  I would have to see if it effected my people's ability to perform.  I expect it would not, as most of these girls (not many men make the cut) are extreme type A's and highly motivated.  And, I have serious chronic pain, so I would probably do it if I could find weed with little intoxicating effect. 

Bottom line is that I'm NOT a capital R Republican.  I am a small l libertarian.  I have basically no tolerance for government interference in people's lives for any reason.  but if weed effected an employee's performance, they would be gone instantly.

Basically what I expected, and pretty much how I feel.

I personally do not think anyone should be doing it before or enough to effect your work. Unless you are a professional taste tester I guess lol.

Time and place for everything as well as moderation. I smoked in college. Still prefer to do that as opposed to taking any type of pill when necessary.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2015, 09:58:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • God did not place the modern dope plant on this earth...they have been genetically altered by one means or the other.

Just because "it's natural" doesn't mean that a plant isn't poison or harmful.

The problem is what I said: I should not toke-up. For my job it's not appropriate.

For a NFL/NBA player in pain, what's less harmful? Opiate derivatives or dope? (Remember, most of these guys in either league are not in stable positions...especially in the NFL.)

Truck drivers? Definitely not.

Construction labor? As long as your not high on the job. This is similar to the NFL'ers.

Majority of the things in the super market are GMO products. Disgusting what our world has come to imo.

Some of the breeding of Cannabis has been the exact opposite. I can't remember the exact name of it, but most Cannabis is high in THC and low in this compound. These guys have been breeding it the opposite, so it is higher in the other compound and lower in the THC.

They have been using it for helping with seizures. This specific strain is called Charlotte's Web. It's a great story, and is one of the many cases that makes me an advocate for the legalization of Cannabis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxrKyjeClTk

Offline elginherd

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2015, 11:14:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Majority of the things in the super market are GMO products. Disgusting what our world has come to imo.

Some of the breeding of Cannabis has been the exact opposite. I can't remember the exact name of it, but most Cannabis is high in THC and low in this compound. These guys have been breeding it the opposite, so it is higher in the other compound and lower in the THC.

They have been using it for helping with seizures. This specific strain is called Charlotte's Web. It's a great story, and is one of the many cases that makes me an advocate for the legalization of Cannabis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxrKyjeClTk

Whether it's accomplished via direct GMO OR via generations of selective horticulture, genes have been altered. Again, through either route, it is not god's 'natural' gifts.

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2015, 12:07:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really love hearing this holier than thou commentary from people who consume products filled with steroids, antibiotics, pesticides, animals of questionable origin and God knows what else.  Most of those bitching are overweight beer guzzlers, diabetes and heart disease in waiting backward thinkers who extoll small government when it suits their needs.  Weed will be legal in America for all of the right reasons including taking the cartels and their violence out of the game and keeping non violent offenders out of prison.  If you don't like it, continue to sit on your fat (@/:;, drink your PBR and STFU.
    « Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:12:57 AM by B-Beavers70 »

Offline Greg H

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2015, 08:40:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really love hearing this holier than thou commentary from people who consume products filled with steroids, antibiotics, pesticides, animals of questionable origin and God knows what else.  Most of those bitching are overweight beer guzzlers, diabetes and heart disease in waiting backward thinkers who extoll small government when it suits their needs.  Weed will be legal in America for all of the right reasons including taking the cartels and their violence out of the game and keeping non violent offenders out of prison.  If you don't like it, continue to sit on your fat (@/:;, drink your PBR and STFU.

Generalize much? 

Offline Herd 90

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2015, 09:30:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Now this is the best post in this thread hands down.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »

Offline backontrack

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2015, 11:16:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As for me, I'd never hire someone with a law degree...

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2015, 01:31:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Not just the new best post of the thread. Might be the best post I have seen on herdfans.

+1000

Offline Greg H

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As for me, I'd never hire someone with a law degree...

Keep talking %^&*.  When you are truly @#%!#, that law degree often matters.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »