Author Topic: Marcum to Hanshew: 'Holliday knows that's not true'  (Read 402 times)

Offline _sturt_

Marcum to Hanshew: 'Holliday knows that's not true'
« on: April 09, 2005, 01:32:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.herald-dispatch.com/2005/April/09/MUspot.htm

Holliday withdraws from coach search
    West Virginia native says timing not good, reports MU athletic director

By ANTHONY HANSHEW - The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON -- John "Doc" Holliday has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Marshall football head coaching job, but contrary to a published report, the Florida assistant was not offered the position.

"He had not been offered," Marshall athletic director Bob Marcum said. "That’s not true, and Doc Holliday knows that’s not true."

The Hurricane native was a finalist for the position, according to Marcum, along with Ohio State defensive coordinator Mark Snyder and Marshall interim head coach Larry Kueck. Holliday called Marcum Friday afternoon, however, to remove himself from the race.

"Doc called me and said he was withdrawing his name from the job," Marcum said. "He said he didn’t think the timing was good and he didn’t feel right about it.

"I said that I’d like him to reconsider, but he said no and that the timing wasn’t right."

Holliday, Snyder and Kueck have interviewed for the job vacated by Bobby Pruett’s March 9 retirement. Kueck’s interview was the most recent, conducted Thursday with Marcum and other Marshall officials.

The search process enters the evaluation phase next week, with Marshall interim president Mike Farrell, Marcum, screening committee members and others narrowing their focus. The Thundering Herd football team is in the midst of spring practice, which concludes April 16 with the Green White game.

"No one has been offered the position," Marcum said. "We’ve conducted several interviews with the screening committee and the president but no offer has been made.

"Everyone will get together next week and we’ll discuss the candidates."

HerdFans.com

Marcum to Hanshew: 'Holliday knows that's not true'
    « on: April 09, 2005, 01:32:10 AM »