Author Topic: Recruiting for Basketball  (Read 22844 times)

yogiherd, WindMillersDad, MUfan08, 2xBison, 71challenger-rt and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online herdorbust2

Re: Recruiting for Basketball
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2024, 09:25:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • May will be gone before you know it. Next 2-3 weeks are going to be beyond crucial. It's already looking like we are having a really tough time finding players especially guards. Boyles committed last year the first week of June and that was really late. Without a dynamic playmaker that can create and score this team is not going to do anything.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, scope58

HerdFans.com

« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2024, 09:25:39 PM »

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2024, 11:36:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  I am hearing a solid rumor that Touissant is back on the team.  I am not sure if he is taking up a scholarship or he is back as a walkon.

TRS
    MU 71

Online svherd

« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2024, 12:04:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am hearing a solid rumor that Touissant is back on the team.  I am not sure if he is taking up a scholarship or he is back as a walkon.

TRS
    MU 71

What a clusterbomb this program is. I didn't think Corny was HC material. I'll support him and wish for the best. Hope he proves me wrong

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2024, 12:09:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am hearing a solid rumor that Touissant is back on the team.  I am not sure if he is taking up a scholarship or he is back as a walkon.

TRS
    MU 71

FWIW: Verbal Commits is not showing Touissant with any offers. Currently Verbal Commits shows our roster with the Gibbs twins; Dawson; Martin; OAK; Fricks; the two freshmen; Nutter; Pruett and Thieneman. That is 11 players and Touissant would give us 12 players. At least we would have enough to practice and have a scrimmage. Moe has offers from other colleges. Hopefully we will sign at least one or two guards. A friend of mine told me that he is afraid that  the Women might outdraw the men's program this year.

https://verbalcommits.com/schools/marshall
    « Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 12:13:15 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2024, 01:41:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?d take a Damier Pitts over an Andy Taylor any day.

Agree didn?t shoot much - scored when needed - much tougher competition - better team on - played defense - passed the ball.

Pitts was way better

The following users thanked this post: overherd1

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2024, 08:21:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree didn?t shoot much - scored when needed - much tougher competition - better team on - played defense - passed the ball.

Pitts was way better

Oh God this isn't even close... Pitts is a top 5-7 PG in Herd history in my opinion, maybe even a little higher. He was REALLY REALLY good. And has had/still having a really solid professional career in various foreign leagues.

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2024, 09:11:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh God this isn't even close... Pitts is a top 5-7 PG in Herd history in my opinion, maybe even a little higher. He was REALLY REALLY good. And has had/still having a really solid professional career in various foreign leagues.

A person I know grew up playing with steph curry and pitts until college.  He said until then everyone in the Charlotte area viewed pitts as the better player. 

Pitts avg 16.2 ppg junior year.  Most shot attempts he ever took in a game that season was 15.  Usually he avg about 12 shots a game.  In DD shoot from anywhere anytime offense he would avg 25ppg.  And the competition levels between Pitts and Taylor eras.  Pitts in a landslide. 
    « Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 09:20:29 AM by MicDrass1 »

The following users thanked this post: Herdalum83

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2024, 09:27:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DallasGreen

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2024, 04:48:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Certainly quiet on the western front.  I stopped by the basketball office earlier in the week and all the coaches were in a closed door meeting.  I asked some of the administrative staff when RF was going to be announced and was told "soon."  They were having some recruits in this weekend, but there were to be no work outs as are players are out until June.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2024, 05:19:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Corny allows Toussant back on the team with a scholarship then I won?t buy tickets. That will tell me all I need to know about CJ as a head coach.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, miltonherdfan, scope58, herdorbust2

Online MUfan08

« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2024, 05:41:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2024, 05:53:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://x.com/ThePortalScoop/status/1789720211903443180

Those are some no name schools we are competing against. Sounds like we are getting desperate at this point.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2024, 05:53:42 PM »

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2024, 09:32:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Who is Edward Waters.  Didn't he play with Pink Floyd?

TRS
    MU 71

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2024, 09:38:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • D2 hbcu

Roger Waters - Pink Floyd

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2024, 09:52:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm starting to feel less and less confident about CJ. I really hope he can pull a couple rabbits out of his hat late. But right now we would have to be picked in the bottom 3 of a bad 14 team league. We aren't close to being as good as last years 20 loss team. We need guards and good scoring/ penetrating guards to be respectable. And year after looks like a complete train wreck losing Oak and Martin. We will need both guards and bigs then. This year we just needed guards and can't even find them.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2024, 11:14:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the last month and a half, Corny has recruited harder than Dan did in his last 5 years alone.   It's not the same game guys.   You sound ridiculous saying you're less confident.   Do you know what recruiting is right now?   It's not about having time to build relationships, getting to know them, being super confident in their character.  It's about $$$$.   That's all it is.   We have texted/called 100 different guards.    Half won't even text back.   Their "representative" texts back giving us an amount to get our foot in the door.    The situation blows.   We're gonna get a couple good guards, that aren't asking for an arm and a leg.    It might be this week, it might next week, it might be next month.   It is what it is.   You wanna change it?   Write a check.   A big one.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, overherd1, FilmJunky

Offline MUther

« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2024, 01:02:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the last month and a half, Corny has recruited harder than Dan did in his last 5 years alone.   

Can we skip the over-zealotry on behalf of new staff and coaching?  I mean this happens a lot where someone goes all in on the new guy too soon and ends up looking foolish and ticks off the rest of the board and vice versa.  Just report the facts and keep the takes in your purse.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2024, 05:45:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the last month and a half, Corny has recruited harder than Dan did in his last 5 years alone.   It's not the same game guys.   You sound ridiculous saying you're less confident.   Do you know what recruiting is right now?   It's not about having time to build relationships, getting to know them, being super confident in their character.  It's about $$$$.   That's all it is.   We have texted/called 100 different guards.    Half won't even text back.   Their "representative" texts back giving us an amount to get our foot in the door.    The situation blows.   We're gonna get a couple good guards, that aren't asking for an arm and a leg.    It might be this week, it might next week, it might be next month.   It is what it is.   You wanna change it?   Write a check.   A big one.

You keep saying we are going to get a couple good guards but it takes money that we don't have. I think you mean we are going to get a couple guards. If we can't get out foot in the door now then how we going to get a couple "good" guards in a week or two? I'm sure we will get guards but who? The ones Edward Floyd or Oklahoma Baptist are recruiting?

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2024, 05:53:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And BTW 222. Did CJ allow Toussaint to get his scholarship back?

Online GreenDaddy

« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2024, 08:00:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It sounds like we are going to have to wait guys out. Once rosters start filling up and these guys start worrying about just finding a place to play vs how much money they can get, we will probably  land a few.

Once we get our NIL setup and decently funded, the hiring of Rob Fulfurd should help us not be so behind like we are this year. I'm still willing to give Corny a couple years to get things settled with the roster.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, overherd1

Online svherd

« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2024, 08:05:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Maybe Corny can prove many wrong, then you can say - I told you so. I hope that happens.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2024, 08:08:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It sounds like we are going to have to wait guys out. Once rosters start filling up and these guys start worrying about just finding a place to play vs how much money they can get, we will probably  land a few.

Once we get our NIL setup and decently funded, the hiring of Rob Fulfurd should help us not be so behind like we are this year. I'm still willing to give Corny a couple years to get things settled with the roster.

Makes no sense. So we get a NIL set up to buy a whole new team in 2 years but can't find anyone to pony up enough for a couple guards now?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2024, 08:08:58 AM »

Online parshall2marshall

« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2024, 08:12:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Two quick guards capable of putting up 35 PPG between them should make us competitive in the SBC. Not faves but .500 / competitive. Iron out OAK's game and if Fricks can make a few shots this year.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2024, 08:13:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Those are some no name schools we are competing against. Sounds like we are getting desperate at this point.

I hear you. Does anyone think a D2 private HBC in Jacksonville, Florida is throwing around money for basketball players? According to their Wiki page the school has an endowment of only $1.8 million in 2022. Nothing against the school, just saying it looks like we might have a problem in Huntington. I hope I am wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Waters_University#Centennial_Hall
    « Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 08:18:12 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2024, 08:30:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

THIS!!! It's not as easy as many forum members make it out to be. Tons of kids out there hearing from tons of different schools. It's nice to at least see on some of the CBB accounts that Marshall is contacting guys. The last 3 years you hardly ever saw any of that. NIL has made it all about money now for those who did not know. For the level of players Marshall gets that probably don't have a professional career ahead; an extra 25K or 50K or whatever is a world of difference from them. Kids don't go to mid major level school's for the name of the program they go for the $.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2024, 08:30:02 AM »