Author Topic: MBB Transfer Portal Update  (Read 25135 times)

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: MBB Transfer Portal Update
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2022, 11:16:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

HerdFans.com

« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2022, 11:16:20 AM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2022, 11:20:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow!!! About like DJ going to UCF.

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, Buffalo Bop, miltonherdfan

Offline svherd

« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2022, 11:22:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's a gut punch. Did she not have a good relationship with Kemper?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

Offline wlf

« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2022, 11:39:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Were we recruiting Nick Edwards?
    All I know, is we offered Williams and didn't get him. I don't have any information about the guard. Could have been a package deal we didn't want or couldn't take.

I didn't mean to infer we were recruiting the guard.
    « Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 11:41:26 AM by wlf »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #179 on: April 01, 2022, 12:02:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All I know, is we offered Williams and didn't get him. I don't have any information about the guard. Could have been a package deal we didn't want or couldn't take.

I didn't mean to infer we were recruiting the guard.

How do you know we didn?t get Williams? The guard is the one going to Valpo not Williams.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #180 on: April 01, 2022, 12:06:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lmao. Middle Tennessee. They must have backdoor payed her a decent amount of cash. But either way, good riddance.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #181 on: April 01, 2022, 12:43:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some of you just don't get it.  It's that some players want to be part of a "quality" program rather than being at a school that is just satisfied with putting 5 players out on the floor.  When is the last time MU's women's team made it to a Post Season tourney?  We have women's basketball (1) because of Title IX and (2) we need to meet the minimum number of sports teams needed to be a D1 member in NCAA sports, and, perhaps, to meet conference requirements.

WVU just hired a high-quality women's coach from South Dakota who won over 70% of her games in 6 seasons.  Got to the Sweet16 this year after beating Mississippi and Baylor (at South Dakota, how can they do it in the middle of a prairie dog farm, while in Huntington we accept being the equivalent of a mediocre NAIA program?).  WVU paying her 3 million for 5 years (they want a WINNER AND A QUALITY PROGRAM!).

Butler Univ. just fired their men's coach, Lavall Jordan, an ALUM (like Danny D'Antoni at MU) after 5 seasons where he went 83-74.  That included a trip to the 2018 NCAA Tournament (sound familiar?) and his team was likely in the 2020 NCAA tourney before it was cancelled.  Hell, in Huntington if someone went to the NCAA tourney twice in 5 seasons, we'd be building a damn statue of him next to that of Hal Greer!  Butler obviously can't and won't accept average to mediocrity in its men's basketball program.  In Indianapolis, the want a WINNER AND A QUALITY PROGRAM!  At MU, well let's just put something out there on the floor, just as long as the shade of green they're wearing is "acceptable"!!

That's the kind of mind set that too many in and around the MU program have and have had for too long.  Maybe it's been too much of the Kayo Marcum, Lance West, Mike Hamrick kind of "leadership" we've had.  Hopefully this is the stuff that both President Smith and AD Spears are set on changing and eradicating at MU!  Let's hope that they are successful!!  Who knows, it may grow and spread to the point of including the whole City of Huntington, City Administration and all, somewhere down the road!! For MU, including our fans, "Accept Mediocrity" is not acceptable anymore and should not be our mantra!
    « Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 12:46:48 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129, herdorbust2

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #182 on: April 01, 2022, 01:22:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We were barely a .500 team that year too...

barely (i.e. over) .500 in CUSA 2007 (i.e. AAC+CUSA) is a far, far cry from 10 games UNDER in facebook CUSA.  that's not even close to being a fair comparison. 

what 3 players did we have on this season's roster that you'd say are equivalent to baines, humphrey, & dorris that would make a 22-pt win by that team seem just as probable had the game been played this yr??

baines is probably 1 of the top 3 rebounders we've had in the past 15 yrs, humphrey is probably 1 of the top 5 players we've had in the last 15 yrs, dorris was solid.  bro grebe wasn't much, but he'd mop the floor with goran.  & they played in a system, where baines wasn't asked to jack up 5-6 3's & humphrey didn't have to play PG b/c we didn't have 1.  i wouldn't have given WL much of a chance in that game, either.  we actually had some D-I talent on that team.

i don't think anyone's saying there's no difference b/w good D-II & .500 mid-major.  but we weren't .500 mid-major this season.  we were a really bad team this yr.  the argument is elite D-II is comparable to pathetic low-level D-I.

interesting that WL's current coach had 17 pts in that game.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline wlf

« Reply #183 on: April 01, 2022, 02:02:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How do you know we didn?t get Williams? The guard is the one going to Valpo not Williams.
    Sorry folks, I misread the post to mean they both committed to Valpo.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #184 on: April 01, 2022, 02:13:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• barely (i.e. over) .500 in CUSA 2007 (i.e. AAC+CUSA) is a far, far cry from 10 games UNDER in facebook CUSA.  that's not even close to being a fair comparison. 

what 3 players did we have on this season's roster that you'd say are equivalent to baines, humphrey, & dorris that would make a 22-pt win by that team seem just as probable had the game been played this yr??

baines is probably 1 of the top 3 rebounders we've had in the past 15 yrs, humphrey is probably 1 of the top 5 players we've had in the last 15 yrs, dorris was solid.  bro grebe wasn't much, but he'd mop the floor with goran.  & they played in a system, where baines wasn't asked to jack up 5-6 3's & humphrey didn't have to play PG b/c we didn't have 1.  i wouldn't have given WL much of a chance in that game, either.  we actually had some D-I talent on that team.

i don't think anyone's saying there's no difference b/w good D-II & .500 mid-major.  but we weren't .500 mid-major this season.  we were a really bad team this yr.  the argument is elite D-II is comparable to pathetic low-level D-I.

I'm not debating the 2007 roster vs our current team. They would have beat us. Our current depth is pathetic and recruiting has been awful under Dan. Dan has one year to get it right or walk.

I'm not going to comment on this weird D2 debate anymore. I promise I'll put my money where my mouth is if we ever play one of these loaded roster D2 teams.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, miltonherdfan

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2022, 02:14:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sorry folks, I misread the post to mean they both committed to Valpo.

I did the same thing at first.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2022, 02:47:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While everyone is singing the praises of former Glenville St. players, I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned 6-3, 190 lb. Hegel Augustin, who is also in the portal. He played for the Pioneers in 2020-2021, before transferring to Central Connecticut St. this past season. He missed the season due to an injury, however, and is still seeking to take his additional year. A former All-NYC combo guard, Augustin's Glenville stats seem to indicate that he may grab more rebounds, shoot better from three, and turn it over less than Williams. In the last basketball game he played on March 6, 2021, Augustin went for 32 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 turnovers, and made 7-13 from three against the almighty Hilltoppers of West Liberty. I have no idea about his current health status. Everyone have fun beating each other up over this guy.  ;D

https://twitter.com/hegelthegod/status/1376247585573330951?s=21&t=UnECCdCLq-iZRLTxOwKZiA
    « Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 03:12:57 PM by pembrook burrows III »

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2022, 02:47:10 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2022, 02:51:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• barely (i.e. over) .500 in CUSA 2007 (i.e. AAC+CUSA) is a far, far cry from 10 games UNDER in facebook CUSA.  that's not even close to being a fair comparison. 

Maybe a .250 D1 team, or maybe less. The best D2 teams would have a hard time winning 4-5 games with a D1 schedule.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline wlf

« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2022, 03:05:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I did the same thing at first.
    I April fooled myself.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline 98HerdAlum

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Practice Squad
    • Herd Fan for Life
    « Reply #189 on: April 01, 2022, 03:34:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lmao. Middle Tennessee. They must have backdoor payed her a decent amount of cash. But either way, good riddance.
    I really try not to comment on posts like this but to say good riddance to one of the best women?s players we have had at Marshall in a while is just asinine. You have to be a miserable person to have an outlook like that on this. Savannah Wheeler gave everything she had to the Marshall basketball program. She is a local kid that could have gone a lot of places but chose to stay home. She took care of business on and off the court while here. I guarantee Tony Kemper doesn?t agree with your good riddance statement. Comments like that are just ridiculous and show that maturity does not necessarily come with age for all people.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan, Skidude, Stripeshrt, parshall2marshall, svherd, HerdMan84, ru4mu2, coalherd, JReese

Offline goherd24

« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2022, 04:38:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really try not to comment on posts like this but to say good riddance to one of the best women?s players we have had at Marshall in a while is just asinine. You have to be a miserable person to have an outlook like that on this. Savannah Wheeler gave everything she had to the Marshall basketball program. She is a local kid that could have gone a lot of places but chose to stay home. She took care of business on and off the court while here. I guarantee Tony Kemper doesn?t agree with your good riddance statement. Comments like that are just ridiculous and show that maturity does not necessarily come with age for all people.
    Good riddance to ANY player that leaves Marshall that wasn't buried on the depth chart, or leaving for family or medical reasons, period. She had offers from Furman, and a couple other very low level D1 schools. Marshall was her first and best offer, and she left as soon as the gettin was good. Far from miserable but I'm never gonna be ok with players turning their backs on the school that gave them a chance.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 04:43:55 PM by goherd24 »

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2022, 04:49:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good riddance to ANY player that leaves Marshall that wasn't buried on the depth chart, or leaving for family or medical reasons, period. She had offers from Furman, and a couple other very low level D1 schools. Marshall was her first and best offer, and she left as soon as the gettin was good. Far from miserable but I'm never gonna be ok with players turning their backs on the school that gave them a chance.

Isn't that exactly what coaches do though? So everyone in the world (including the people that COACH them) should look out for themselves and do what is best for them, except student athletes?

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2022, 05:02:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Isn't that exactly what coaches do though? So everyone in the world (including the people that COACH them) should look out for themselves and do what is best for them, except student athletes?

Name a Marshall coach that has left a program recently (since NIL/Transfer Portal)?

You kinda changed the argument to something that simply does not apply here presently.

The following users thanked this post: goherd24

Online herd2win

« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2022, 05:23:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I look at each situation different.  If a player is not getting playing, or a coaching change I have no issue with them leaving.  I do not like it when MU gave a player a chance, then when it is time for MU to benefit the player leaves.

This is why I did not like Wells leaving and especially the way he did not give it his all in the bowl.  Feel the same about Wheeler.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, goherd24, herdorbust2

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2022, 05:31:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Name a Marshall coach that has left a program recently (since NIL/Transfer Portal)?

You kinda changed the argument to something that simply does not apply here presently.

Huh? There literally could not be a more comparable and fitting example. Players are now able to treat their college careers exactly how college coaches have been treating the coaching careers for ages.

I look at each situation different.  If a player is not getting playing, or a coaching change I have no issue with them leaving.  I do not like it when MU gave a player a chance, then when it is time for MU to benefit the player leaves.

This is why I did not like Wells leaving and especially the way he did not give it his all in the bowl.  Feel the same about Wheeler.

But isn't that exactly what Huff is going to do? MU was his best opportunity and was the first to give him a "chance" (as a head coach) and he will leave "when the gettin's good" / as soon as he can for better pay and a more prestigious position.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Online herd2win

« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2022, 05:38:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huh? There literally could not be a more comparable and fitting example. Players are now able to treat their college careers exactly how college coaches have been treating the coaching careers for ages.

But isn't that exactly what Huff is going to do? MU was his best opportunity and was the first to give him a "chance" (as a head coach) and he will leave "when the gettin's good" / as soon as he can for better pay and a more prestigious position.

As I stated, if Huff leaves then I have no issue with a player leaving who was signed by Huff.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2022, 05:58:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Isn't that exactly what coaches do though? So everyone in the world (including the people that COACH them) should look out for themselves and do what is best for them, except student athletes?

Apples to Popsicles

HerdFans.com

« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2022, 05:58:43 PM »

Offline wlf

« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2022, 06:48:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coaches leaving is exactly the same, even when people are star struck afterwards because of their success. That's the view I have.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2022, 07:19:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And apparently there is a big difference between what Wheeler is doing and what Andy Taylor did in coming from FURMAN to Marshall in some very small minds on this board.  Accepting hypocrisy is, I guess, what one has to tolerate when visiting sites like this!

Offline goherd24

« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2022, 08:13:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And apparently there is a big difference between what Wheeler is doing and what Andy Taylor did in coming from FURMAN to Marshall in some very small minds on this board.  Accepting hypocrisy is, I guess, what one has to tolerate when visiting sites like this!

There is a big difference, coming to the herd and leaving the herd are two big differences.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2022, 08:13:49 PM »