Author Topic: SHR- - -Could Sun Belt Commissioner . . .  (Read 659 times)

Online coalherd

SHR- - -Could Sun Belt Commissioner . . .
« on: February 22, 2023, 09:19:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • . . . Keith Gill and his League Office be any luckier, and hopefully, more appreciative? 

I mean right now this is probably the best SBC basketball race in years, going right down to the last week-end.  And why?  Well, perhaps it could be due to the LEAGUE'S NEWCOMERS like ODU, JMU, Southern Miss and, of course, MARSHALL'S THUNDERING HERD!!!!  All four are in a tight, hard-fought race for the League's regular season championship, along with older member, Louisiana.  Playing each other, more or less, in the last two regular season's scheduled games!!

What else could the League's leadership have asked, or dreamed, for??  YOU'RE WELCOME, COMMISSIONER GILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, scherd, parshall2marshall, ed swain, The E-Man, luckytoes99, goherd24, herd247

HerdFans.com

SHR- - -Could Sun Belt Commissioner . . .
    « on: February 22, 2023, 09:19:40 PM »

Offline herdorbust2

Re: SHR- - -Could Sun Belt Commissioner . . .
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 09:29:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • . . . Keith Gill and his League Office be any luckier, and hopefully, more appreciative? 

I mean right now this is probably the best SBC basketball race in years, going right down to the last week-end.  And why?  Well, perhaps it could be due to the LEAGUE'S NEWCOMERS like ODU, JMU, Southern Miss and, of course, MARSHALL'S THUNDERING HERD!!!!  All four are in a tight, hard-fought race for the League's regular season championship, along with older member, Louisiana.  Playing each other, more or less, in the last two regular season's scheduled games!!

What else could the League's leadership have asked, or dreamed, for??  YOU'RE WELCOME, COMMISSIONER GILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it goes to show how bad the league was. The 4 additions were huge for them.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, coalherd

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 09:37:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully, the other teams will step up their recruiting.

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

Offline breckjimison

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 11:11:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The new additions to the SBC are absolutely killing it!
    I see nothing but greener pastures ahead of us and the SBC.
    GO HERD!!!

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, scherd, coalherd

Offline breckjimison

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 11:21:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The new additions to the SBC are absolutely killing it!
    I see nothing but greener pastures ahead of us and the SBC.
    GO HERD!!!
    I truly believe that this move (joining the SBC) was the best move we could have made at the time. Even over joining the AAC. The SBC is on an upward trajectory and I don't see that happening in the AAC with the four new members starting next year. Yes I know that FAU (even though still in C-USA) is having an exceptional basketball season but that still remains to be seen. I have absolutely no problem joining the SBC rather than AAC.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, wasbarryb, coalherd, herdfan129

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 12:00:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I doubt the SBC would look the way it does if Gill wasn't the commissioner so he deserves some credit too.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, scherd, MUfan08

Offline MUther

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 03:48:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I truly believe that this move (joining the SBC) was the best move we could have made at the time. Even over joining the AAC. The SBC is on an upward trajectory and I don't see that happening in the AAC with the four new members starting next year. Yes I know that FAU (even though still in C-USA) is having an exceptional basketball season but that still remains to be seen. I have absolutely no problem joining the SBC rather than AAC.

6 new AAC:  FAU, Rice, UNT, UTSA, CLT, and UAB

which doesn't help their case at all.  UAB is solid all around in most sports, UTSA has RECENT football success, FAU football went to crap and basketball is too recent to predict it continues.  The rest are meh, with a decent team rearing it's head once a decade.  Not exactly who you build conference around.  And the best part is, with SMU leaving, the new schools will have controlling votes and they may not like the idea of half of them making more money than they do.  Could get real interesting real fast if they get smart in a hurry.
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 03:55:37 AM by MUther »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 05:51:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 6 new AAC:  FAU, Rice, UNT, UTSA, CLT, and UAB

which doesn't help their case at all.  UAB is solid all around in most sports, UTSA has RECENT football success, FAU football went to crap and basketball is too recent to predict it continues.  The rest are meh, with a decent team rearing it's head once a decade.  Not exactly who you build conference around.  And the best part is, with SMU leaving, the new schools will have controlling votes and they may not like the idea of half of them making more money than they do.  Could get real interesting real fast if they get smart in a hurry.

Of course the lack of a cohesive identity in C-USA by many of these same schools is why leaving C-USA was such a wise move by the three newest members of the SBC.

The ACC has adopted the plan that C-USA showed wouldn't work, using the same schools that showed why it wouldn't work in the first place.  What could go wrong with such a plan?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUther

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 10:41:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am sure the 4 new additions have made Commissioner Gill very happy. We should all be happy as well though. We get to play our conference tournament at a court that isn't surrounded by curtains anymore.

https://twitter.com/sunbelt/status/1628800174909685760?s=46&t=VMYLroysoRg2c6zVEKoqaQ

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man

Offline elginherd

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 12:33:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The ACC has adopted the plan that C-USA showed wouldn't work, using the same schools that showed why it wouldn't work in the first place.  What could go wrong with such a plan?

Playing devil's advocate:
    Did the 'plan' not work in the CUSA because of incompetence? (This in regards to Judy on down to the individual ADs & Presidents/Chancellors)
    Or was there actually a 'plan'?

In other words, are we so sure that the AAC 2.0 will be the East Palestine that the CUSA 3.0 was?

Part of the problem with the CUSA was that it was like herding cats when dealing with many of the individual members. Another part was the blatant Texas favoritism. That has not been the case historically with the AAC, regardless of the HQ's location.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 12:33:03 PM »