Author Topic: Coastal Carolina NIL Money  (Read 495 times)

Offline mu79grad

Coastal Carolina NIL Money
« on: May 07, 2024, 03:58:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This article from the Myrtle Beach Sun is under a paywall but here are the highlights.  The Myrtle Beach Sun obtained these figures from a Freedom of Information request.  I'd love to see someone from the H-D request figures for Herd athletes.

According to a Freedom of Information Act, FOIA, request filed with the university, Coastal Carolina student-athletes have inked at least 108 NIL deals, with a total reported income of $77,344. Coastal Carolina athletes signed these deals between June 30, 2021, when the NCAA announced its NIL policy, and Jan. 26, 2024, when The Sun News filed its FOIA request. While it?s unknown for every Coastal athlete that signed deals or the amount of each specific deal, 108 deals are small, considering how many student-athletes suit up for CCU. For context, during the 2021-22 fiscal year, CCU had almost 500 student-athletes competing in its 17 sports, according to the U.S. Department of Education?s Equity in Athletics database. The football team alone suited up 116 players at the start of the 2023 season.

For Coastal football head coach Tim Beck, NIL has created an illusion of a system more glamorous than it is. Beck, who favors paying players despite the current system limiting the types of recruits he can pursue and creating a constant roster churn that threatens the football program, added that athletes rarely receive the most monetary figures promised in the NIL space. ?People don?t realize what NIL is. It?s not a bag of cash, and they say, ?Thanks for coming.? It?s a job,? Beck said in a December 2023 press conference. ?I bet you probably 50 percent (of players) don?t ever make the money they say they?re making. I?m almost positive of that. Because I?ve been in that world, (and) I?ve seen it happen.? The exact amounts each student-athlete made per deal or what was included in ?reported income? are unknown. While CCU provided the total number of deals and reported NIL income from them, the university refused to disclose specific deals made by individual athletes, how much each participant made, or if non-cash gifts were included in reported income. Coastal said disclosing athletes? deals would violate the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. The terms of deals are typically not made public, and while the NCAA requires athletes to disclose deals that exceed $600 in value to their schools, the NCAA doesn?t publish the specifics surrounding individual players? deals.

Read more at: https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/sun-belt/coastal-carolina-university/article287194885.html#storylink=cpy

The following users thanked this post: BigJimslade

HerdFans.com

Coastal Carolina NIL Money
    « on: May 07, 2024, 03:58:17 PM »

Offline Flat Tire 2

Re: Coastal Carolina NIL Money
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 04:50:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was able to read the article. Divide $77,344 by 108 deals equals an average of around $717. I would guess some athletes got better deals than others? It sounds like what Huff talks about when he discusses NIL at Marshall, just giving small amounts of money to players.
    « Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 04:54:21 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 06:20:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Clearly NIL further widens the chasm existing between big schools and the mid majors of the world.
    Not a shocker

Offline whf

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 06:55:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You all may recall CCU dumped their collaborative earlier this year, it ceased operations; then a few months after, and new effort was started. I have no information on the situation, but I'd bet they contracted a service provider, just as Marshall has done in the last couple months.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 06:55:50 PM »