Author Topic: Mikal Dawson to Marshall  (Read 4346 times)

Offline wlf

Re: Mikal Dawson to Marshall
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2024, 08:26:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  All I can say about Marshall basketball is,  I'm just glad I can watch games on ESPN+. If I live long enough maybe I'll buy another season ticket, but it's not college basketball anymore.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, Buffalo Bop

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2024, 08:26:22 AM »

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2024, 01:00:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Aren't we getting a visit from a JMU portal player?

I know a lot of people have been looking at Dawson's stat line. I get that. But I think it is about time that Marshall men's basketball has a freakish athlete that can come in a game and lock down on defense on the opposing team's 1- , 2- or 3- player. Yes, he may have only averaged around 5 to 6 points a game at Akron. But he played a lot of minutes which tells me he can play good defense. You don't play a guy 28 minutes a game with that type of scoring average if he can't play defense.

It is good if we have a player that can take an 18 ppg scorer from the opposing team and limit that player to 9 to 10 points under his average. We not only take away points from the other team but a quality defender can take a team out of the flow of their offense which is generally built around their top scorer. We have gotten so use as a fan-base to no defensive adjustments in both game planning and in-game adjustments that I just don't think our fanbase appreciates a good defender. We NEVER adjusted our defense to how an opposing player was scoring in a game. When the guard from App State kept scoring and scoring and scoring in the same manner at the Henderson Center, did you ever see an adjustment? I sure didn't. Jackson wants his defenders to get more up into the ball handlers and opposing players. His philosophy is to push the offense further from the basket and make them start their sets further from the basket. You have to have good athletic defenders to do that.

I also think Dawson may get a little more offensive production playing in our style of offense. Our offense, which Corny said he is keeping, tends to open up the floor for athletic players. I think that could help Dawson a little bit more.

Count me in as someone who really likes this approach. Of course, I might be different in that I am a firm believer in that defense wins against the better competition.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust2

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2024, 01:29:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I know a lot of people have been looking at Dawson's stat line. I get that. But I think it is about time that Marshall men's basketball has a freakish athlete that can come in a game and lock down on defense on the opposing team's 1- , 2- or 3- player. Yes, he may have only averaged around 5 to 6 points a game at Akron. But he played a lot of minutes which tells me he can play good defense. You don't play a guy 28 minutes a game with that type of scoring average if he can't play defense.

It is good if we have a player that can take an 18 ppg scorer from the opposing team and limit that player to 9 to 10 points under his average. We not only take away points from the other team but a quality defender can take a team out of the flow of their offense which is generally built around their top scorer. We have gotten so use as a fan-base to no defensive adjustments in both game planning and in-game adjustments that I just don't think our fanbase appreciates a good defender. We NEVER adjusted our defense to how an opposing player was scoring in a game. When the guard from App State kept scoring and scoring and scoring in the same manner at the Henderson Center, did you ever see an adjustment? I sure didn't. Jackson wants his defenders to get more up into the ball handlers and opposing players. His philosophy is to push the offense further from the basket and make them start their sets further from the basket. You have to have good athletic defenders to do that.

I also think Dawson may get a little more offensive production playing in our style of offense. Our offense, which Corny said he is keeping, tends to open up the floor for athletic players. I think that could help Dawson a little bit more.

Count me in as someone who really likes this approach. Of course, I might be different in that I am a firm believer in that defense wins against the better competition.

THANK GOD someone on this forum understands the game of basketball. A kid does not play 20 minutes in college basketball if they aren't helping a team. Unless it's Marshall then who knows what Your all's beloved Dan thought but 99.9% of kids don't play 20+ minutes if they are bad lol. Dawson did shoot 36% from 3 in 21-22 before sitting out 22-23 with injury. Also shot 77% and 69% from the line before injury.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2024, 02:02:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I actually love defense. I would rather watch a great team effort of defense than offense. Nothing like watching a team denying ever pass and defending every shot. I'll take that over what we have been seeing any day.

Online Luke80

« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2024, 02:28:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It might be a more valid criticism to note how few times he actually went to the line. He averaged 21 minutes over 35 games and only shot 13 FTs all year. That?s absurdly low. Lest you think it is a one year aberration, he?s only shot 65 FTs in 4 years.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2024, 03:32:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Arkansa St got Louisianas best player. They already had a good year last year and was coming on at the end of the year. Their new coach can really recruit. Spradling at JMU has brought in some really nice players. D2 all American and one of his best players from Morehead. He is expected to get the OVC player of the year from 23 also. Along with 2. 6'11" kids 235 and 255. I hope we can keep up.
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 03:45:23 PM by herdorbust2 »

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2024, 03:39:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It might be a more valid criticism to note how few times he actually went to the line. He averaged 21 minutes over 35 games and only shot 13 FTs all year. That?s absurdly low. Lest you think it is a one year aberration, he?s only shot 65 FTs in 4 years.

That's because Akron used him almost entirely as a 3 point shooter. Not going to get a lot of foul shots that way.

The following users thanked this post: FilmJunky

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2024, 04:58:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Arkansa St got Louisianas best player. They already had a good year last year and was coming on at the end of the year. Their new coach can really recruit. Spradling at JMU has brought in some really nice players. D2 all American and one of his best players from Morehead. He is expected to get the OVC player of the year from 23 also. Along with 2. 6'11" kids 235 and 255. I hope we can keep up.

FYI: Verbal Commits has JMU with the Morehead transfer listed along with a transfer from Syracuse; Florida Southern and Southern Indiana. No mention of the 6'11" transfers, but the site may not be up to date. We have some players visiting this weekend. We need to recruit some players or it is going to be a long season.
    https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/james-madison

FYI: Verbal Commits also lists Marshall offering Williams and Dickerson. Verbal doesn't show any college offers for Connors and Toussaint.
    https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/marshall
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 05:03:13 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2024, 06:00:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FYI: Verbal Commits has JMU with the Morehead transfer listed along with a transfer from Syracuse; Florida Southern and Southern Indiana. No mention of the 6'11" transfers, but the site may not be up to date. We have some players visiting this weekend. We need to recruit some players or it is going to be a long season.
    https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/james-madison

FYI: Verbal Commits also lists Marshall offering Williams and Dickerson. Verbal doesn't show any college offers for Connors and Toussaint.
    https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/marshall

Here you go.
    https://jmusportsnews.com/2024/04/26/jmu-mens-basketball-transfer-portal-tracker/

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline Collis P

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2024, 09:57:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here you go.
    https://jmusportsnews.com/2024/04/26/jmu-mens-basketball-transfer-portal-tracker/

Geez!  6 new additions and possibly a 7th.....      They will be good.................
    S M I L E -

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2024, 10:27:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Geez!  6 new additions and possibly a 7th.....      They will be good.................

i certainly would've preferred spradlin over CJ.  if PS's got 6, going on 7, new adds already, i think that's cause for concern.  & PS obviously, by SBC standards, inherited a decent roster.  we've added 1, that even with our pathetic roster, we all see as bench help.

we all know DD's portal approach was to let everyone else get what they want, & then we'll pick from what's left.  & we all know DD is the only coach CJ ever worked under in the portal era.  we need a DRASTIC change in philosophy with this program, not more of the same!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop, Flat Tire 2, MUonium

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2024, 11:10:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Geez!  6 new additions and possibly a 7th.....      They will be good.................

Good recruiters find a way. D2 all American. One of your best players from previous team. Possibly OVC player of the year. 2 P5 6'11" kids. I'm not panicked yet but the clock is ticking and another 1-2 weeks and I'll be getting very concerned.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdfifteen

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2024, 11:10:33 AM »

Offline HerdFan1216

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2024, 08:14:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This board for the most part is so negative.   Nothing is ever good enough for the majority of posters??.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, herdfan129

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2024, 09:02:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This board for the most part is so negative.   Nothing is ever good enough for the majority of posters??.

Lol!!! Tell us what is so wonderful right now? We have had 2-20 loss seasons out of the last 3. We have 6 spots to fill and have only filled one with a hometown boy wanting to come back home. We have zero guards on the team that can play D1 ball at this time. The football team has not done anything for years. So please tell us why we should be so happy?

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #89 on: April 28, 2024, 10:12:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Lol!!! Tell us what is so wonderful right now? We have had 2-20 loss seasons out of the last 3. We have 6 spots to fill and have only filled one with a hometown boy wanting to come back home. We have zero guards on the team that can play D1 ball at this time. The football team has not done anything for years. So please tell us why we should be so happy?

Can't argue with you lol

Our two major sports suck balls

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online bighat

« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2024, 12:28:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And you two never let us forget.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2024, 12:53:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And you two never let us forget.

At least we care!!!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2024, 01:11:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At least we care!!!

Good point!

I guess some of us just want Marshall to be the best it can be and play for conference championships. Playing for national championships in football and basketball is not a realistic expectation for me. If Marshall doesn't care about being a strong athletic program, I might as well direct all of my contributions to the academic side.
    « Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 01:12:50 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Online svherd

« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2024, 01:20:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

JMU makes good hires and places a huge emphasis on winning and winning now.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust2

Offline HerdFan1216

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2024, 08:51:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Lol!!! Tell us what is so wonderful right now? We have had 2-20 loss seasons out of the last 3. We have 6 spots to fill and have only filled one with a hometown boy wanting to come back home. We have zero guards on the team that can play D1 ball at this time. The football team has not done anything for years. So please tell us why we should be so happy?

Well we are free from DAntoni and i believe corny will take a different approach?.i always thought Dawson should have been a son of Marshall from the start?..hopefully he will get a chance to go out with a larger role.  I?m just being cautiously optimistic.  Everyone on here wanted Dan gone but said Spears and Smirh wouldn?t do it?..they did it and then the same group complained about Corny and how he?d be a Dan clone?.he immediately sent out offers to ten times more  the amount of portal players than Danny did his entire tenure and suddenly the first one to sign isn?t good enough when he athletically is an upgrade over our intramural scholarship Dudes

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2024, 09:10:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Well we are free from DAntoni and i believe corny will take a different approach?.i always thought Dawson should have been a son of Marshall from the start?..hopefully he will get a chance to go out with a larger role.  I?m just being cautiously optimistic.  Everyone on here wanted Dan gone but said Spears and Smirh wouldn?t do it?..they did it and then the same group complained about Corny and how he?d be a Dan clone?.he immediately sent out offers to ten times more  the amount of portal players than Danny did his entire tenure and suddenly the first one to sign isn?t good enough when he athletically is an upgrade over our intramural scholarship Dudes

Well I do agree with most that you said. But the bottom line is Marshall has no vision for its two main sports. I'll support Corny until he proves he isn't the guy. But teams like JMU are serious about their sports and do their homework when hiring coaches. We just hand the ball off to the next guy and hope for the best. I said o wouldn't get concerned until the end of the month a couple weeks ago. Well here we are and not one commitment other than the hometown boy. And for example JMU has got a D2 all American, one of Morehead st best players along with another OVC player that averaged 14/8 and 2 P5 6'11" kids. Also a Syracuse transfer. Not to mention will most likely sign the 2023 OVC player of the year. How can they get so many quality players and we have ONE that wanted to come back home? But like you said at least we are making offers to players Danny would have never even looked at. Hopefully we get some good news in the next week or two.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2024, 10:04:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Maybe, 1216, the board is the WAY IT IS is that enough HERD FANS have HAD ENOUGH after a DECADE of marginally over .500 basketball under Mr. Yuk Yuk, let's have "FUN", Danny Boy!!!  Just maybe enough fans have had their fill of "FUN" and want a consistent, year after year WINNER, and a team that CONSISTENTLY plays for "CHAMPIONSHIPS" and is a consistent participant in SIGNIFICANT post season play.  IMO, given MU's still consistently strong fan base and support and the fact that we have, as many readily admit, stepped "down" when it comes to the caliber of basketball competition with our new membership in the SBC, that's not too much for the FANS to ask for!!!

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2024, 10:04:08 PM »

Offline HerdFan1216

« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2024, 01:10:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe, 1216, the board is the WAY IT IS is that enough HERD FANS have HAD ENOUGH after a DECADE of marginally over .500 basketball under Mr. Yuk Yuk, let's have "FUN", Danny Boy!!!  Just maybe enough fans have had their fill of "FUN" and want a consistent, year after year WINNER, and a team that CONSISTENTLY plays for "CHAMPIONSHIPS" and is a consistent participant in SIGNIFICANT post season play.  IMO, given MU's still consistently strong fan base and support and the fact that we have, as many readily admit, stepped "down" when it comes to the caliber of basketball competition with our new membership in the SBC, that's not too much for the FANS to ask for!!!

I get it bc i grew up to championships and when winning was expected.  I think changes are on the horizon for our two major sports

Online mubowhunter

« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2024, 07:23:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Crazy to think that the majority of this board expects better!  Your just happy that we have uniforms that doesn?t even rep our school colors. 

Online bighat

« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2024, 08:39:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What do you care about?  You ask people to boycott.  You ask them not to give money.  So what do you care about?  Only to prove your right.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2024, 08:39:40 AM »