Author Topic: What has happened to common courtesy for fellow members, school and players?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline W0lfman

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have we fallen so far we can't have even a little restraint? Do we just say it, post it and be damned with the end result? Reddit is out there for that type of commenting, but here I feel we should have a bit more unity. I'm really struggling with how to handle the negativity and insults towards other posters, players, school and coaches. Going to have some serious discussions with the MODS, but we have to be better. This forum can do so much good and right now it's on us to find the right balance.

HerdFans.com

Offline herd1990

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have we fallen so far we can't have even a little restraint? Do we just say it, post it and be damned with the end result? Reddit is out there for that type of commenting, but here I feel we should have a bit more unity. I'm really struggling with how to handle the negativity and insults towards other posters, players, school and coaches. Going to have some serious discussions with the MODS, but we have to be better. This forum can do so much good and right now it's on us to find the right balance.

I don't disagree Wolf, but I think it's a direct result of all the losing happening within thr athletic department these days.   Not an excuse, just an assumption.  I still really enjoy the board and the interactions but you usually need to have your guard up when you make a post these days.

Online Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We do have a few (2-4) posters that seem to be obsessed with either defending or tearing down the posters that they disagree with. Some posters are too invested or not supportive of certain coaches. Maybe you can send them a private message to stop the chatter, or maybe ban them for a short period of time?

I do believe that society is losing its respect and manners and it is reflected on message boards.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, scherd, Stripeshrt, Banshee, wlf, The E-Man

Offline The Right Stuff

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I applaud you Wolfman. It upsets me that people use vulgar language toward others.  The nasty comments directed to former coach Doc Holliday offends me. Most of you don't know Doc like I do and the good things he has done for others.  I always said as a coach Doc rated a 7, but as a human being I give him a 10.  To me being a good person rates much more than coaching a kids game.

TRS
    MU 71

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We do have a few (2-4) posters that seem to be obsessed with either defending or tearing down the posters that they disagree with. Some posters are too invested or not supportive of certain coaches. Maybe you can send them a private message to stop the chatter, or maybe ban them for a short period of time?

I do believe that society is losing its respect and manners and it is reflected on message boards.

You should be one of those also. So don't act like you are innocent.

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anything that keeps it from turning into the fiasco thats the other herd fan forum , Im all for . This board could be cleaned up a little , from posting things in the wrong forum to the name calling , every little bit helps.

The following users thanked this post: scherd, The E-Man

Offline Stripeshrt

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Personally it used to b fun but its now personal. That's a reflection though IMO of society and not totally the board. Some I agree have their own agendas. some are like the kid/adult that has to have that last word and then some i truly believe post just to hear themselves. Wolf, i think u have done a great service and provided an avenue for Herdfans to vent, opine, provide info and I'm not sure where you can draw the line. I used to think we all here wanted the same things for Marshall Sports, today I'm not so sure.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, scherd, mr_ash_1995, sovine, The E-Man

Offline Stripeshrt

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You should be one of those also. So don't act like you are innocent.
    and you just made his point!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, ru4mu2, Flat Tire 2, MUther, overherd1

Offline ru4mu2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, MUther

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • and you just made his point!

No he did by calling out certain ones like he is innocent.

Offline ru4mu2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No he did by calling out certain ones like he is innocent.
    LOL.  He only called you out if you identify as 2-4 posters......

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

Offline forphase1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I think it's a combination of things.  1) society as a whole is becoming less and less...cordial, friendly and becoming more crude.  Everyone picks a side and then it's always US versus THEM.  True in politics and pretty much everything else, and that trickles down to message boards.  2) Winning cures everything, while losing breaks down everything.  In both major sports we are sucking.  Football has been a mess since the early/mid 2000s, with just a few years in the mid 2010s worth anything, and basketball has been average to poor, with one magical run under the current leadership.  This has caused frustrations and negative feelings in general, and that's easy to come out through a message board that has no real consequences for how we talk or treat each other. 

As to fixing it, it's a fine line.  You WANT open discussion and folks to be able to disagree and fiercely defend their positions.  Can make for good discussion.  But the name calling and the like is over the board, and many of us are guilty of it, on BOTH sides of the proverbial fences. 

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ru4mu2, muherd34, Flat Tire 2, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

Offline Stripeshrt

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not going to play tit-for -tat with you. Look at the categories that I mentioned and see where you might fall . I realize the "you dont care what people think" ( your words , not mine) you have told us all that ah probably 2000 times. I will say this , it would b MO that one of the reasons Wolf had to make this type plea or post is............(fill in the blank dude)

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, Flat Tire 2

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LOL.  He only called you out if you identify as 2-4 posters......

I know who he is talking about. It's mainly the few that support basketball on this page. Why does Herdmeister, 2bison and myself have their own thread started after the loss the other night? Talk about piling on!!!! It's like they enjoyed the loss so much they had to start a thread with our names to rub it in our faces. Talk about sick? When you enjoy a loss so much you are joyful to rub it in that's pretty sad.

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not going to play tit-for -tat with you. Look at the categories that I mentioned and see where you might fall . I realize the "you dont care what people think" ( your words , not mine) you have told us all that ah probably 2000 times. I will say this , it would b MO that one of the reasons Wolf had to make this type plea or post is............(fill in the blank dude)

And I don't care what people think. I don't hide from anything and especially you. And that goes for this board or anything else in life.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Offline thelonderee

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's interesting to me that this thread ? which originated because of a lack of mutual respect on the board ? has replies that clearly point to the original problem. The animosity that some posters spout off from behind their keyboards is keeping this forum from being great. Wolf, I support whatever you and the mods choose to do about this, even if it's trial and error until you settle on something. The personal attacks are unwarranted and taint this board considerably.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, mr_ash_1995, ru4mu2, Flat Tire 2, The E-Man

Offline The E-Man

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I, for one was guilty of calling out a player and Stripeshrt called me out for doing so. Mine was out of frustration of losing, but that didn't make it right. Once I realized my mistake, I corrected it thanks to Stripeshrt for reminding me, I was better than that. We're all going to make mistakes! The best way is for other Herd fans to speak up when someone is taking it to far. As for the few that posters are thinking about, I can say about one, Herdorbust2 is a DIEHARD Herd fan! Me and Bust don't agree on certain topics, but we always "respect" each other and move on.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, bighat, muherd34, Banshee, horsrman, thelonderee, Toro Toro Taxi, herd247

Offline svherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think it's a combination of society and being anonymous - being able to post without having your real name or identity revealed.

I try to make a point to not come close to personal attacks and not to comment if a post or thought really goes against what I think. We all have opinions but at the same time, we are all passionate Marshall fans. We may not agree on the road taken but we can agree that the destination of success is a common thought.

I know that way back in the day, I sent a PM to Bison about something and it was not worded well. I think now how stupid that was of me and apologize for it. It was worthless and not important. Point being, take a breath and back away before making a post that may not put you in a good light. jmho.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, The E-Man, thelonderee

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I, for one was guilty of calling out a player and Stripeshrt called me out for doing so. Mine was out of frustration of losing, but that didn't make it right. Once I realized my mistake, I corrected it thanks to Stripeshrt for reminding me, I was better than that. We're all going to make mistakes! The best way is for other Herd fans to speak up when someone is taking it to far. As for the few that posters are thinking about, I can say about one, Herdorbust2 is a DIEHARD Herd fan! Me and Bust don't agree on certain topics, but we always "respect" each other and move on.

Agree E. You know we strongly disagree on a few things especially on the other board. But I do respect you a lot and can see you are a really genuine good guy.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline muherd34

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I personally have nothing against anyone on this board and think this is a place to banter and have fun.  Sometimes we all get caught up in our feelings and say stupid/mean things.  Mostly I find it funny when posters call other posters names or posters get mad, it's almost like middle school. We take things too seriously sometimes.  It is also hard to tell if someone is trying to be funny or hateful because it is all just letters with no emotion behind the words.  We need wins and IMO it shows the passion of Herdfans!  Good or bad I believe we all want the Herd to succeed and this place would definitely be more tolerable for some.  I love this board and it is by far the best forum for Herd fans to come and root or show displeasure.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man

Offline bighat

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Social Media has changed us because we are faceless.  We try to justify ourselves by bringing up what someone else did that was wrong.  Two wrongs do not make a right.  You notice I said we, because when you point fingers three point back at you.  I enjoy listening to opposing views but also want them to have some sort of logic to them.  First and foremost this is a Marshall forum and Marshall gave some of us a chance in life and I love Marshall sports.  Remember the 75!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wolf I totally support you and the mods no matter what you come up with.  I think a lot of people hit the nail on the head that the fanbase as a whole is "frustrated".  The two major sports have been pedestrian with a couple of exceptions for a long time now.  Most posters on here have run out of patience and we are taking our frustrations out on each other.  Let's remember that we all love Marshall and want the teams to excel.  We won't always agree on the best way to accomplish that goal and that is okay.  Those are some of the best threads on this board, but too often lately they devolve into a name calling contest between posters who have a personal ax to grind with each other and then the thread becomes unreadable. 

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

HerdFans.com

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree about we all need to calm down. Differences are one thing. But look at 3 threads at the top of this page? One is Herdmeister.... calling him out and why? Second is Bust and Bison.... just to try and rub our noses because we love basketball. Third is Basketball practice nerds....really? We are being called out for loving a sport that represents Marshall? I still think this team will end up very good. I know it's sexy to pile on because it was a team coming up from D2. But they were a D2 power for years. They had a small but sold out arena that was jacked for this game like herdfans were when we dominated 1AA and moved into the Mac wanting to prove ourselves. Yes we should have still won the game and didn't. But this team will get much better as they mesh the young with the old.
    « Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 12:17:24 PM by herdorbust2 »

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Online elginherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • TRS said something that, for whatever reason, struck me about Coach Holliday, that whatever his shortcomings we're as a coach he was and is a good man who did his best.

There was a term coined and used repeatedly by several on here that should've never been allowed: 'docsucker'.

It's a pejorative insulting to both Doc and to anyone who may have been a supporter of his or anybody with enough intelligence to realize that there was a very big risk that his replacement would be worse...as it appears to have happened.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 01:23:07 PM by elginherd »
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, miltonherdfan, MUonium

Offline Huffnagel

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Leaders lead!

Great post.
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, elginherd

HerdFans.com