Author Topic: Hearing Jannson Williams was told...  (Read 2656 times)

Offline MU42

Hearing Jannson Williams was told...
« on: March 25, 2021, 11:17:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • Either he may not start or there was no scholarship. Dantoni telling the media he was coming back makes me think it was that he wouldn?t start and he is leaving. Not sure how I feel about that. I like Jannson as a player and while I don?t know him I?ve seen him interact with fans and kids and never heard one bad thing about him. But if he wanted assurances of minutes or starting spot, I don?t think coaches should do that.

The following users thanked this post: MUtim, Buffalo Bop

HerdFans.com

Hearing Jannson Williams was told...
    « on: March 25, 2021, 11:17:11 AM »

Offline HoPPy785

Re: Hearing Jannson Williams was told...
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 11:22:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Either he may not start or there was no scholarship. Dantoni telling the media he was coming back makes me think it was that he wouldn?t start and he is leaving. Not sure how I feel about that. I like Jannson as a player and while I don?t know him I?ve seen him interact with fans and kids and never heard one bad thing about him. But if he wanted assurances of minutes or starting spot, I don?t think coaches should do that.

I was speculating with a friend last night that maybe coach told West he might not be PG and Williams he might not start. Got to look to the future and if that means younger guys eat into their playing time then so be it. Nobody in any sport should get guaranteed minutes by the coach. Wonder if we will ever get the inside story.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, Buffalo Bop, horsrman, herdorbust, scope58

Offline overherd1

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 11:24:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sure there will be lots of rumor and innuendo, not sure any of it means anything.  Probably best left between player and coach.  That being said,  I find that hard to believe.  I would think every position would have to be earned in practice.  Interesting time in the evolution of the basketball program.  I suppose that's what happens when you have several seniors with the option of staying.  Will be a challenge for the coaches, but that's what they get paid for!

The following users thanked this post: MUonium

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 11:30:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  If JReese wants to spill the beans on what actually happened , then Ill believe it . Everything else will just be a bunch of BS. , or rumors , whatever you want to call it. Its really none of our business .

The following users thanked this post: MUtim, JReese

Offline herd2win

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 11:38:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • These statements go against any reason.  So West is told he might not start and minutes reduced so he leaves to go to an ACC school to get playing time...then you have a senior in Jannsen that is told he won?t have a scholarship and will not start.

If by chance there is any truth in either one of those statements then Dan might have crossed into the retirement home zone.  Both of those guys would be assets.  I was upset they quit on MU and f the truth is MU quit on them then I retract what I have said lately.
    « Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 11:41:02 AM by herd2win »

The following users thanked this post: Bigoherd

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 11:48:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can't imagine West was told he wouldn't start, but I could see him being told he might not be the PG. He could switch spots with Taylor. Again just speculating. Probably not the case but possible.

I don't think it's a stretch to believe Obinna and Beyers could have potentially started over Williams next year. They're all pretty interchangeable to me.

Offline svherd

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 12:12:54 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Players shouldn't demand playing time - you work for it. Coaches should NEVER guarantee playing time. It's a slippery slope. I don't see this happening but who knows.

DD really needs to push these kids for next season. It is a very crucial year for the program. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline whf

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 12:13:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any coach should start the day after a season ends evaluating the talent for the next season.  And any coach that promises anyone a starting role, specific amounts of playing time, or depth chart seating, is doing themselves, their players and their schools a dis-service.

If, under any conditions, DD told anyone that their position was open and that all eligible and would compete for position and playing time, I applaud him for that; particularly in a year when so much potential remained, just that, potential.

And any player who had, or has, a problem with that is expecting too much. It is called a team, and all have a role to play on it.

If the message and reception don't match, moving on makes a great deal of sense to me.  I wish everyone leaving well, thank them for their commitment to MU while here, and hope that DD makes improvement in the overall results of the basketball in the coming year/season.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, horsrman, HoPPy785, MUonium

Offline JReese

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 12:32:48 PM »
  • [Like]4
  • [Dislike]1

Neither Jarrod nor Jannson was told anything like that. I can't and won't speak for the West family. Jannson knew and was told that he would have to work hard to earn/keep his starting position and he was fine with that. The players were told that every year. There were plenty of other factors that led to this decision. Those factors I will choose to keep private except for those of you that I have built personal friendships with and have already had those discussions. We would not have been believed and it would be perceived as sour grapes anyway. The final nail in the coffin was the staff reporting to the media that Jannson made his decision to stay when in fact, he had not and was actually given until the beginning of April to make his decision.

Again, Thank you for welcoming us into this special Marshall Family. We will always cheer for the Herd.
    « Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 01:00:13 PM by JReese »
    All I have ever truly wanted to be was a great dad.

Offline Herdman70

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 02:25:36 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't really care what the reasons are for the JWs going to the portal. I find it the same as being a 4 year player and graduating. They are gone. Both of these young men have given their all to MU for 4 years. For that I am grateful. These 2 are just doing what they feel is best for them, and this covid portal affords them a great opportunity. I wish them well on their future.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 02:50:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

That isn't what happened
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, The E-Man, JReese

Offline VA Herd Fan

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 03:16:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If JReese wants to spill the beans on what actually happened , then Ill believe it . Everything else will just be a bunch of BS. , or rumors , whatever you want to call it. Its really none of our business .
    This
    Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.  Mark Twain

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Stripeshrt, Herdmeister, horsrman

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 03:16:34 PM »

Offline MU42

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 04:05:42 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • I always get a kick out of people saying that we shouldn?t talk about really anything. What is the purpose of this place then. I come here to talk about Marshall Athletics, primarily football and basketball, and while I don?t post as much as I did previously I visit almost daily to find out the goings on of MU sports.

We have one beat writer now. So no one is there to ask tough questions. We get no information about anything ever. The few people ?in the know? primarily just brag about being ?in the know? but never really say anything. Which I can respect, but why bother telling us you know?

Anyway, I?m telling you what I heard from a person I believed to be credible. Until someone tells us why good players are leaving then we are left to speculate. And if coaches and/or athletic directors are the cause of it then the few people who still pay to watch MU sports should know so we can put the needed pressure where it needs to be.

The following users thanked this post: MUtim, wasbarryb, miltonherdfan, HoPPy785, Herdalum83, THECHAMPISHERE

Offline bighat

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 04:15:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was thinking it had something to do with Coach D'antoni and his back and his future coaching.

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 04:18:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was thinking it had something to do with Coach D'antoni and his back and his future coaching.

I wondered this as well, but I'd think we would know now if he wasn't coaching next year and anything down the road wouldn't matter to those two guys.

Offline bighat

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2021, 04:21:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You might put it off because of recruiting.

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Offline coalherd

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2021, 06:53:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pretty well known that one of the, if not the, main reasons players give in transferring to another school is, "minutes, playing time, opportunity to play, etc.".  Many athletes are just that, "athletes", players who just want "to play".  See a lot of players leaving big programs going elsewhere to smaller programs just to be able to play their sport.

The following users thanked this post: THECHAMPISHERE

Offline Herd-nficent

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2021, 07:02:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It will be interesting to see how well each of these two players at a higher level (out of CUSA).
    "What we see depends on what we look for"

Offline Herdman70

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be interesting to know how many "seniors" across the country chose to go to the transfer portal and how many chose to stay at their current school. 9

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Offline herd1990

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2021, 10:34:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It will be interesting to see how well each of these two players at a higher level (out of CUSA).

It will be interesting to see if one or both even end up at programs playing at a higher level than CUSA.  Are we expecting these guys to surface in the ACC, Big 12 or Pac-12???
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 05:03:43 PM by herd1990 »

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 11:49:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I always get a kick out of people saying that we shouldn?t talk about really anything. What is the purpose of this place then. I come here to talk about Marshall Athletics, primarily football and basketball, and while I don?t post as much as I did previously I visit almost daily to find out the goings on of MU sports.

We have one beat writer now. So no one is there to ask tough questions. We get no information about anything ever. The few people ?in the know? primarily just brag about being ?in the know? but never really say anything. Which I can respect, but why bother telling us you know?

Anyway, I?m telling you what I heard from a person I believed to be credible. Until someone tells us why good players are leaving then we are left to speculate. And if coaches and/or athletic directors are the cause of it then the few people who still pay to watch MU sports should know so we can put the needed pressure where it needs to be.

Yes. Post of the year. Without opinions and differing opinions, rumors, speculation, hearsay, second hand "inside" information, he said/she said, and the rest of the "water cooler" talk...we really don't have a message board/forum worth anything. If all those things offend someone in some way...they shouldn't be on this board.  Getting too "tight" is a board like this death sentence. 

Pretty well known that one of the, if not the, main reasons players give in transferring to another school is, "minutes, playing time, opportunity to play, etc.".  Many athletes are just that, "athletes", players who just want "to play".  See a lot of players leaving big programs going elsewhere to smaller programs just to be able to play their sport.

You are right. Pretty simple. Players want to play.

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785, coalherd

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2021, 07:39:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be interesting to know how many "seniors" across the country chose to go to the transfer portal and how many chose to stay at their current school. 9

I heard many UNT fans say while I was in Frisco that they don't expect any of their seniors back next year. As we know they were a senior dominated team.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2021, 07:39:35 AM »

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 11:23:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I heard many UNT fans say while I was in Frisco that they don't expect any of their seniors back next year. As we know they were a senior dominated team.

To me this isn't surprising.  Most fans think, "wow who wouldn't want a chance to play another year of college sports?" But these kids have been in school for 17 or 18 straight years.  If they don't have a chance to go pro, a lot of them just want to get on with their lives.  If you are a senior and decide to stay for another season, especially in basketball, that means another full year of taking classes. 

Offline Collis P

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2021, 11:36:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • S M I L E -

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I heard many UNT fans say while I was in Frisco that they don't expect any of their seniors back next year. As we know they were a senior dominated team.
    Their fans are  saying the same thing on the CUSA message board.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »