Author Topic: So, do we still want to get rid of Doc?  (Read 4110 times)

Offline MU42

So, do we still want to get rid of Doc?
« on: November 15, 2020, 06:31:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is a lot of football to be played, but we are likely to be 10-0 win the East and possibly the conference. Then we could finish ranked in Top 15 and win a bowl against a respectable opponent.

Now if King Jim shuts the state down that would include college football too I would think but we would be 7-0 or 8-0 and the season ends.

Anyway in either scenario are we still thinking Doc should go at this point?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 06:57:02 AM by MU42 »

HerdFans.com

So, do we still want to get rid of Doc?
    « on: November 15, 2020, 06:31:27 AM »

Offline MUonium

Re: So, do we still want to get rid of Doc?
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 08:41:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is a lot of football to be played, but we are likely to be 10-0 win the East and possibly the conference. Then we could finish ranked in Top 15 and win a bowl against a respectable opponent. Now if King Jim shuts the state down that would include college football too I would think but we would be 7-0 or 8-0 and the season ends.  Anyway in either scenario are we still thinking Doc should go at this point?

first, i don't think anybody is going to shut down college FB in WV or by CUSA at this stage of the season, not with the very good or about the best protocols in place that can be reasonably done.

for some, winning will make answering that question complicated.  if winning becomes a trend, then i think Doc has a say in his own retirement date- that the SD, the school admin would always prefer or prioritize stability/cleanly run program that wins enough? over anything else.  maybe Doc and/or Hamrick don't want to retire at "retirement" age, so who knows how many more years they stay, if contracts will be extended.

the buck stops at the top, and should- credit for the good and the bad, over all the years.

i can only guess about what has helped Doc this year:
    a truly competent QB, not seen in many years, seemingly without any personal "issues"- plays with a clear head. 
    a competent coaching staff/stability from S&C on up, which seems to have helped overall, top to bottom, to include, in a general sense, recruiting quality kids even though they might not have been around when a some of these kids were recruited.  good overall team speed, quickness, strength and technique, a desire to be at the point of action.  this team seems to like each other, plays for each other, playing time or not, top to bottom.  while not perfect, it appears there are few missing pieces of the puzzle

The following users thanked this post: whf, beau42m

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 08:43:46 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]2
  • There is a lot of football to be played, but we are likely to be 10-0 win the East and possibly the conference. Then we could finish ranked in Top 15 and win a bowl against a respectable opponent.

Now if King Jim shuts the state down that would include college football too I would think but we would be 7-0 or 8-0 and the season ends.

Anyway in either scenario are we still thinking Doc should go at this point?

If green hadn’t done what he did to get himself booted, we all know grant wells wouldn’t have yet seen the field this yr. doc only went with his best option bc he had no other choice. Doc gets very little credit for our success this season, IMO.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, go1970herd, AEOS, wasbarryb, goherd24, herdorbust

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 09:09:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My answer is yes, let him go still. If this was year 5, I'd say ok let's keep rolling, but we know mediocrity is hiding right around the corner. Assuming the players like and respect Cramsey, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him the keys for stability, but we better have the balls/funds to boot him early if next year we drop off.

No more letting full contracts play out cause we are too poor. Give him a deal we know we can afford to pay off with the help of big donors and don't be afraid to pull the plug after year 1 if we barely limp into a low level bowl game. If that deal is too cheap for Cramsey then find a FCS winner that will take it. A recent Liberty thread about paying their coach 3mil shows they are serious, but 3mil isn't keeping their coach there. It's wasted money and a big dog will still take him away if they want to.
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:12:30 AM by HoPPy785 »

The following users thanked this post: MUsince96

Offline ed swain

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 09:18:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way he is going to leave unless he decides so himself.No school will fire a coach who has great a season as we have had.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, beau42m

Offline Big City

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 09:18:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Season isn’t even close to being over. A lot of things can happen.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124, herdfan129

Offline HerdFan1216

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 09:29:11 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

• If green hadn’t done what he did to get himself booted, we all know grant wells wouldn’t have yet seen the field this yr. doc only went with his best option bc he had no other choice. Doc gets very little credit for our success this season, IMO.

I think the reason Green did what he did was because Wells was going to be named the starter.   That's speculation only on my part but I remember praise for Wells last year from the coaching staff

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, whf, cutmeopenibleedgreen

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 09:35:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I do not think the staff was sold on Wells when Green was here.  I was I can assure you that.  When greene left there was speculation of bringing in another qb from the transfer portal.  I did not think that was a good idea.  The film breakdown of Wells I put out from Hs showed the making of a better than Greene already future great qb.  I’d say another year is fine. 

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline MUinDE

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]1
  • Yes, he needs to go.

Offline herd2win

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 10:15:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A couple of things...

1.  Any schools would be crazy to let a coach go who goes undefeated and has a G5 team in the top 15.

2.  Doc may not want to coach after this year.  He is either negotiating for a better contract or has decided to walk away after this year...it has just been too quiet considering he is not under contract after this season.

3.  I have to give Doc credit for hiring Lambert as the DC... that unit is solid and fun to watch.
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:32:28 AM by herd2win »

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, whf, herdfan129

Offline elginherd

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 10:25:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd2, the one singular thing that jumps out to me about Lambert's unit is how well they have been tackling. Solid tackling can really make up for missed assignments, along with team speed.

In this current environment, there's no way MH will pull the plug on Doc. If Doc is gone, it'll be Doc's choice.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, ru4mu2, herdfan129

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 10:30:42 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • Yes, hopefully, he retires. No way the AD will get rid of him. He is lucky that Wells fell into his lap. Green would still be the QB if it was up to Holliday. Most of these receivers were non-existent last year and it was because they didn't have a QB that could get them the ball.

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 10:30:42 AM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 10:35:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes, hopefully, he retires. No way the AD will get rid of him. He is lucky that Wells fell into his lap. Green would still be the QB if it was up to Holliday. Most of these receivers were non-existent last year and it was because they didn't have a QB that could get them the ball.

Wells didn’t fall into Docs lap, he was recruited and I also see a lot of promise in Zban.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 10:37:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wells and D are the real deal. Doc will ride Wells to a Championship. These are exciting times for Marshall football.

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD

Online THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 10:37:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes. But man, let the guy retire. He's too old for this. Saban is 6 years older but looks 20 years younger.

The following users thanked this post: Gaylen

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wells didn’t fall into Docs lap, he was recruited and I also see a lot of promise in Zban.

Exactly. Wells committed early.  To say he fell in Docs lap is stupid and just shows how Doc never gets credit for the good only the bad.  Doc has coaches different this year. Took the ball when winning the coin toss.  Been more aggressive at times and the team is just that a TEAM.  You can see it on both sides of the ball.

We sit up behind the offensive line end of the bench so we have a good perspective of the bench. My wife has said multiple times how the team is more of a team this year. You can see defensive guys coming to give a pat on the back to the offensive side. You see offensive guys going other way. The defense is up cheering on the offense at different time. 

There are leaders on this team. 

As for Doc...this year might not be the time with budget cuts etc to be able to go out and pay the market rate for what we want as a HC.  Plus we go undefeated how do you get rid of a coach?  If we keep most seniors and coaching staff intact....next year could be another special year. 

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline sportswatcher247

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Practice Squad
    • Member Since 12/2011
    « Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 11:26:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A couple of things...

1.  Any schools would be crazy to let a coach go who goes undefeated and has a G5 team in the top 15.

2.  Doc may not want to coach after this year.  He is either negotiating for a better contract or has decided to walk away after this year...it has just been too quiet considering he is not under contract after this season.

3.  I have to give Doc credit for hiring Lambert as the DC... that unit is solid and fun to watch.

I agree with your first point. Think of it this way: If you were a HC would you want to take a job where a top 15 finish, undefeated season and a conference championship isn’t enough to keep your job? You would have no sense of job security.

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 11:43:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The pandemic has thrown conventional thinking into the rubbish bin.

Our budget has taken at least a 15% hit.  The coaching market this year is unpredictable.  Looks like we may have another season upcoming still affected by COVID.

I am fine with a one or two year contract rollover - all things considered.  Doc has handled the situation this year as well as any staff in the nation.  However, I’m still not over his inability to solve his offensive issues for five years.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2020, 12:33:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Our budget has taken at least a 15% hit.  The coaching market this year is unpredictable.  Looks like we may have another season upcoming still affected by COVID.

I am fine with a one or two year contract rollover - all things considered.  Doc has handled the situation this year as well as any staff in the nation. However, I’m still not over his inability to solve his offensive issues for five years.

Better than most and better than a few of the NFL teams.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan

Offline svherd

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 12:35:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  ::)

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Big City

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 12:50:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I am fine with a one or two year contract rollover - all things considered.  Doc has handled the situation this year as well as any staff in the nation.  However, I’m still not over his inability to solve his offensive issues for five years.

Agree with your point about doc handling the situation. As a whole the athletic depth has done well with the pandemic and managing circumstances
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 12:52:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I’ve been a pretty big critic of him for awhile but I’d be okay with letting him stay another couple of years after this superb year. Only thing is, he needs to keep it up and keep coaching the same way.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 12:52:21 PM »

Offline Johns1124

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 12:58:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe everyone knows that the problem was for the last two years. When CL, unexpectedly left, it left Doc with IG. What this year has shown how lean we were at that position.
    I honestly feel a little bit bad for Doc and Cramsey. Must have been terrible not being able to play your style of football in order to compensate for an inept QB. There is some blame
    that the staff didn't have anyone waiting in the wings after CL. With that said I don't believe it's fair for his recruits to have a good year and then fire the HC. Not that I would give him another 5-10 year extension. A shorter two-year contract or year to year may be in order.

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2020, 01:08:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 63 is not old.

A 63 year old who has played and coached for 75% of his life isn't going to go fish for the rest of it.  He has a solid staff and team in place and, particularly with an extra year eligibility option given to everyone, can do some really great things over the next few years and establish his legacy.

Make a difference...Join the Big Green

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, goherd73, parshall2marshall, herdfan129

Offline bighat

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • No one in there right mind would get rid of a G5 team coach that is ranked and undefeated.  What kind of message would that send to someone we hiring.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, lexkyherdfan, goherd73, Big City, ru4mu2, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »