Author Topic: MU vs Chicago St GAME THREAD  (Read 1591 times)

Online herdorbust2

Re: MU vs Chicago St GAME THREAD
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2022, 10:08:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not worried about attendance at all, these aren't attractive name opponents, it isn't conference, and we've  had two Monday games in a row; tough night for fans. Plus, not these unrecognizable teams over the holiday week.  Not making excuses, just giving attendance challenge facts.

It's still pathetic. Warm environment, fun brand. It's actually embarrassing!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2022, 10:08:47 PM »

Online svherd

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2022, 10:09:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's a win. We will struggle with quick athletic teams. Better hope Andy and Kinsey don't have off nights.

I was pleased with the play of Handlogten and Conner. Obinna is coming around - good to see.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline goherd24

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2022, 10:11:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not worried about attendance at all, these aren't attractive name opponents, it isn't conference, and we've  had two Monday games in a row; tough night for fans. Plus, not these unrecognizable teams over the holiday week.  Not making excuses, just giving attendance challenge facts.

It's a combination of last seasons fiasco, and beginning with a loss this year. They can work there way out of that, but we might need to be 8 or 9-1, and i think people will come around. No excuse for the lack of attendance though. There are less than 3k in the seats in there for sure. It's awful.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2022, 10:14:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Watching practice everyday it is obvious that Early slows us way down. Lacks speed and way too much dribbling. Danny absolutely loves the guy but just can't play him. There are about 3 others that are the same.

We have speed and length and that is what Danny is recruiting for the future as well. He is looking at a couple of HS seniors a junior and about 4 sophomores that all fill that bill
    He loves TK dribbling the %^&* out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2022, 10:17:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Former Huckabay assistant Johnny Lyles was introduced at the game. He was sitting courtside with Marshall Reynolds. He was the former head coach of Southeastern Louisiana
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, mr_ash_1995, goherd73, parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, beau42m, coalherd

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2022, 10:18:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He loves TK dribbling the %^&* out of it.

No but he brings many more things to the table
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, horsrman

Online coalherd

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2022, 10:19:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fans are supposed to be fans and supporters of "HERD Basketball", regardless of the opponents, be they Gonzaga or the Little Sisters of the Poor.  Danny has said/indicated before that people should be there to support, and enjoy, the HERD, no matter who the opponent is.  Like said before, some fans will have to be lured and convinced to return.  Others, unfortunately, never will.  Losing to Queens out of the gate didn't help.  Just keep winning, putting an improving product on the floor certainly will be key.  Danny in postgame interview noted that recent (past week) schedule has been more like play in the NBA as far as games go.  4 games in 7 days.  Team is still learning, IMO, how to integrate, and play together, with a lot of new faces, combos, etc.  Coach gave Chicago State some credit, not wanting to discredit them using a fatigue factor, etc.

Good break now till Morehead Saturday night.  They come in with a so-so record but have played, thus far, a very strong, highly rated scheduled, lot of Power/Big Boy foes.  Hopefully, CAM atmosphere will be amped up, louder and more enthused Saturday evening, after another Herd victory over in the JOAN earlier in the day!!  :)
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 10:18:34 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2022, 10:24:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fans are supposed to be fans and supporters of "HERD Basketball", regardless of the opponents, be they Gonzaga or the Little Sisters of the Poor.  Danny has said/indicated before that people should be there to support, and enjoy, the HERD, no matter who the opponent is.  Like said before, some fans will have to be lured and convinced to return.  Others, unfortunately, never will.  Losing to Queens out of the gate didn't help.  Just keep winning, putting an improving product on the floor certainly will be key.  Danny in postgame interview noted that recent (past week) schedule has been more like play in the NBA as far as games go.  4 games in 7 days.  Team is still learning, IMO, how to integrate, and play together, with a lot of new faces, combos, etc.  Coach gave Chicago State some credit, not wanting to discredit them using a fatigue factor, etc.

Good break now till Morehead Saturday night.  The come in with a so-so record but have played, thus far, a very strong, highly rated scheduled, lot of Power/Big Boy foes.  Hopefully, CAM atmosphere will be amped up, louder and more enthused Saturday evening, after another Herd victory over in the JOAN earlier in the day!!  :)

I remember when John Calipari lost his only game to Marshall when he was at Memphis. He mentioned the raucous Marshall crowd but added that they needed to be here every game, not just for Memphis
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, Collis P, horsrman, The E-Man, coalherd

Online coalherd

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2022, 10:27:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Exactly, HM.  Believe he clearly stated such in a postgame presser.  Something to the effect that our team needed such support EVERY game, not just when a "name" opponent (and Coach) are in the House!
    « Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 10:36:00 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2022, 10:30:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Exactly, HM.  Please he clearly stated such in a postgame presser.  Something to the effect that our team needed such support EVERY game, not just when a "name" opponent (and Coach) are in the House!

I buy tickets to see Marshall play. Not the opponent. I only get the chance to see them about 17 times a year at home and I don't want to miss a single one. Of course I also see many on the road too
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, horsrman, The E-Man, coalherd

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2022, 10:54:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I buy tickets to see Marshall play. Not the opponent. I only get the chance to see them about 17 times a year at home and I don't want to miss a single one. Of course I also see many on the road too

Exactly! I?m a Marshall fan all of the time?(wining or losing). Not coming to games hurts this team AND future Marshall teams because of recruiting and the transfer portal. This team is entertaining and deserves the support. Not just when they are ?winning??that just shows a low character fan base.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, horsrman, herdorbust2

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #61 on: November 21, 2022, 11:03:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would stop worrying about fans. You can?t control it. It is the world we live in. People aren?t going to games in a lot of places to watch no name teams. Fans complain about the schedule at UK for basketball as they don?t play many well known team at Rupp outside of the SEC.  Players may leave and go elsewhere they will experience the same thing with attendance elsewhere. I went to UK?s home opener and I would say there may have been 10-12k there.  While that is a lot to Marshall, Rupp Arena was almost always full for cupcakes. 

After what happened last year and then the loss to start the season gives fans a pause.  It is expensive to go out for fans to every game. Sure there are some ticket specials which are great but some fans just can?t and won?t go to each game.  It is easier to pay a fraction of the cost and watch at home.  A person can save a lot of money.

Just keep winning and create an atmosphere that is fun and exciting and more fans will come out.  It is no different than in football. It is easier to watch at home and save a bunch of money.  Out of town fans aren?t going to make the trips for teams like Chicago St after last years bad year.  I can?t control what other people spend their money on so I don?t worry about it. If I lived in Huntington I would have season tickets and attend most of the time as I enjoy going to basketball games.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, svherd, Always THE HERD, ru4mu2, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2022, 11:03:22 PM »

Offline banker

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2022, 11:53:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jason and Travis Kelce do a podcast, which I highly recommend. I?m sure everybody knows Travis, the TE for the Chiefs. A few less might know Jason who is an all pro center for the Eagles. Anyway, Jason had a great point. They were talking about the criticism of Baker Mayfield. Jason says he hates to hear it, but the bottom line is that it?s within the players control to write the narrative. You don?t want criticism, play better. You don?t like the attendance, give people more of a reason to show up.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2022, 12:53:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Exactly! I?m a Marshall fan all of the time?(wining or losing). Not coming to games hurts this team AND future Marshall teams because of recruiting and the transfer portal. This team is entertaining and deserves the support. Not just when they are ?winning??that just shows a low character fan base.
    I fully understand your comments and can agree to some extent (especially if one live close to Huntington).....but having said that, my wife and I are not going to travel from Beckley and spend approx. 200.00 per trip/game to see MU play teams such as Coppin, GA State, etc.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, beau42m

Offline MUther

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2022, 01:16:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I fully understand your comments and can agree to some extent (especially if one live close to Huntington).....but having said that, my wife and I are not going to travel from Beckley and spend approx. 200.00 per trip/game to see MU play teams such as Coppin, GA State, etc.

GA State has done more in basketball in the last decade than we have in our entire history.  We are the no name team in the basketball world, not them.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline Stripeshrt

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2022, 01:22:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm sorry Coal but i disagree with your assertion about Sat Nite. Holiday weekend, playing Morehead St, FB game earlier in the day. I can see no reason that the marginal fan decides to come watch Morehead St. Yes I know they have played some big boys but thats not a point to draw out that fence sitting fan, its just not a draw. I'm as anti MAC as they come  but if you were playing OU Sat nite, I could see maybe a 1000 more butts in the seats than Morehead. If Danny or whomever want to regain their attendance footing, he's got to play at least a recognizable names and hes got to beat them.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan, parshall2marshall, ru4mu2, wasbarryb, MUther, beau42m

Offline MUther

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2022, 01:58:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A lot of these guys said they didn't want to join the SBC because they didn't care about team X or Y and didn't want to go to those games.  Now it's "I go to see Marshall play, regardless of the opponent."   Which is it?  They're defending this schedule because it's supposed to save their messiah.  It's piling up thick in here.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan, mr_ash_1995, svherd, ru4mu2, andy31, beau42m

Online coalherd

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2022, 02:11:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm sorry Coal but i disagree with your assertion about Sat Nite. Holiday weekend, playing Morehead St, FB game earlier in the day. I can see no reason that the marginal fan decides to come watch Morehead St. Yes I know they have played some big boys but thats not a point to draw out that fence sitting fan, its just not a draw. I'm as anti MAC as they come  but if you were playing OU Sat nite, I could see maybe a 1000 more butts in the seats than Morehead. If Danny or whomever want to regain their attendance footing, he's got to play at least a recognizable names and hes got to beat them.

Agree to a degree regarding the Holiday weekend.  Not usually a good time to draw "large" crowds historically for MU, I'm sure.  On the other hand, for fans that come from out of the area back to the State for the Holiday weekend or longer, it may give them a rare opportunity to see a HERD game in Huntington in person.  Say fans who come home to the Kanawah Valley, Beckley-Oak Hill and surrounds, Parkersburg, etc.  Hour or so drive to H-town.  This week-end, there's an opportunity to see Herd football with a mid-day start and then a Herd basketball game that should be over by 9:30 or so, allowing fans from those areas to get home by midnight, maybe a little earlier.

Right now forecast for Saturday calls for some rain, but it shouldn't be around, or much of a "factor" before the football game is over, hopefully that means 4:00 pm or a little earlier.   Then, of course, rain later in the day should be NO factor, game wise, for the MU-Morehead clash in the CAM.

Morehead-Marshall have been long-time rivals in basketball for decades.  Was really a heated one back in my days at MU, Danny's playing days, etc.  Of course, that is decades in the past and it doesn't stir many folks nowadays.  Still easy travel for fans of both schools who desire to follow their teams to a road game.

Right now, I plan to be at both games Saturday in H-town, regardless of how much "bird" I consume on Thursday!!  ;D

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2022, 05:19:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I fully understand your comments and can agree to some extent (especially if one live close to Huntington).....but having said that, my wife and I are not going to travel from Beckley and spend approx. 200.00 per trip/game to see MU play teams such as Coppin, GA State, etc.

Why not? Does Marshall not excite you? Sounds like you are only interested in who we play.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2022, 06:40:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He loves TK dribbling the %^&* out of it.

Kinsey does some really good things but when he starts trying to be the guy and dribble dribble dribble, we become awful. He needs to be set up and not him setting up other people. We saw it last year and last night he started it again for a short time.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2022, 06:44:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A lot of these guys said they didn't want to join the SBC because they didn't care about team X or Y and didn't want to go to those games.  Now it's "I go to see Marshall play, regardless of the opponent."   Which is it?  They're defending this schedule because it's supposed to save their messiah.  It's piling up thick in here.

Right back at you big guy. We also heard going to the SB and "name" teams didn't matter. Now we hear you have to play name teams to get a crowd. Don't be a hypocrite!!! But I'm getting used to it coming from you!!!

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2022, 07:41:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No but he brings many more things to the table
    I agree.  I like a ton of things about TK but him dribbling too much is not one of them

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Collis P, horsrman, Toro Toro Taxi, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2022, 07:41:56 AM »

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2022, 07:53:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lots of empty seats , period . I have heard its because of who we are playing , its a Mon nite , its Sat nite  , football playoffs , cheer competitions , gas is expensive ,Thanksgiving , Christmas is close , its cold , last season we sucked , its every excuse under the sun . You should want to see the Herd play no matter what . I would love to see UNC or Tenn come in here but thats not going to happen. Go see the Herd play , not who the Herd is playing .

The following users thanked this post: goherd73, parshall2marshall, horsrman, herdorbust2

Online svherd

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2022, 07:58:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Exactly! I?m a Marshall fan all of the time?(wining or losing). Not coming to games hurts this team AND future Marshall teams because of recruiting and the transfer portal. This team is entertaining and deserves the support. Not just when they are ?winning??that just shows a low character fan base.

A huge part of our problem is our aging fan base. Where is sit is a prime example. I sit in 211, I am 60 years old and I am likely the second or third YOUNGEST in the entire section. The school better start making in roads to younger fans, families and the students or attendance at both football and b'ball will be tiny in the next 5-10 years.

Funny, the soccer crowds are MUCH younger in age overall.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, luckytoes99, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2022, 08:21:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A huge part of our problem is our aging fan base. Where is sit is a prime example. I sit in 211, I am 60 years old and I am likely the second or third YOUNGEST in the entire section. The school better start making in roads to younger fans, families and the students or attendance at both football and b'ball will be tiny in the next 5-10 years.

Funny, the soccer crowds are MUCH younger in age overall.

10-15 years our attendance in both sports will be destroyed. The young generation could care less and the older generation will be gone. It's a reality that isn't going to change. I'm going to enjoy it while I can but Marshall is in major trouble in both sports going forward. Just wait 10 years and come back to this topic.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2022, 08:21:17 AM »