Author Topic: Dantoni admits building weak schedule  (Read 6043 times)

Offline herd2win

Re: Dantoni admits building weak schedule
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2022, 04:35:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope you arent on here after every win praising the play after trashing him in every post lol!!!

That is what this forum is for.  I praised the Herd and Colombi after ND because they had a good game plan and executed.  Since then our team has been terrible.  Huff has not had the team ready and Colombi or the play calling has caused the offense to look terrible.  Both can be true.

I point out that Dan has a very average record and never won the conference.  Really had only about a 10 day stretch in 10 years of special basketball.  If this team balls out and wins the Sunbelt I will be singing his praises because he and the team earned it.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2022, 04:35:52 PM »

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2022, 04:38:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Could be that DD prefers the "stick figure" frontliners, instead of muscle, strength, etc.  Guess he wants to avoid having all that bulk getting in their way as they "sprint outside" to fire another 3-pt. bomb from 30 feet.  When it comes to other aspects of the game like rebounding, blocking out, defense, etc., well, old Danny is like that trademark dude for Mad Magazine and just says "What, Me Worry?"!!!
    How could you watch DD bball for years (whether you agree with style or not) and not understand the type of big we go after? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Online coalherd

« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2022, 04:38:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's amazing how every single person that goes to practice sees the same thing. But the ones that sit in their basement seem to know the facts. Thanks for your report!!

Amazing and funny how even before season practice begins, when players are in individual workouts at the Rec Center, we start getting "glowing" and "fantastic" reports how this player is shooting lights out and that player moves like grease lighting, and so and so looks like a chiseled Tarzan, blah, blah, blah.  And then when the lights go on "for real" and the ball goes up for the first tip off, it soon becomes pretty obvious to the non-delusional Herd Fans and neutral observers with a modicum of basketball knowledge that many of those practice observer "facts" are either figments of someone's imagination, or wishful thinking, and that another year of Herd Basketball at about a 52 percent or so rate of WINNING is upon us!!  This year should be a little cut above of the usual, at least, given the general overall Sisters of the Poor out of conference schedule!!

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, SuperAnjario

Online coalherd

« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2022, 04:48:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How could you watch DD bball for years (whether you agree with style or not) and not understand the type of big we go after? 

Or, bison, how could you and Coach D not understand that the "type of big we go after" just MIGHT be a significant FACTOR in Coach's total overall record being just a little over 50%?  We all know Danny is often too set in his ways, like stubbornly staying in man to man defenses.  Perhaps he needs to adjust his thinking on who he recruits at certain spots, positions, etc.  What's wrong with bring in a strong JUCO power forward ever so often for defense, rebounding, purposes, even though the guy can't hit the backboard from 20 feet away.  That crap that everyone should feel free to launch a 3 point shot is just that:  PURE CRAP!!   Hell, other Coaches with Danny's career record at one school in 9 years or so are probably scrambling round looking for something new, different, etc., to win more, and thus keep their jobs.  Danny, apparently, thinks that the status quo is perfectly OK with MU basketball and that Herd supporters, fans, alums, etc., should be all right being barely above average and mediocre and just "have fun"!!

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2022, 04:54:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How could you watch DD bball for years (whether you agree with style or not) and not understand the type of big we go after? 

He still doesn't understand the system. And the biggest question is why does he watch? He is so miserable and hates Dannys coaching why would he put himself thru it?

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2022, 05:01:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is what this forum is for.  I praised the Herd and Colombi after ND because they had a good game plan and executed.  Since then our team has been terrible.  Huff has not had the team ready and Colombi or the play calling has caused the offense to look terrible.  Both can be true.

I point out that Dan has a very average record and never won the conference.  Really had only about a 10 day stretch in 10 years of special basketball.  If this team balls out and wins the Sunbelt I will be singing his praises because he and the team earned it.

But you didn't criticize Doc after the disaster 2016 season. It took you till the 2019 season to barely say maybe it's time. And that was just because you was the last one to jump off the wagon lol!!!

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2022, 05:04:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Or, bison, how could you and Coach D not understand that the "type of big we go after" just MIGHT be a significant FACTOR in Coach's total overall record being just a little over 50%?  We all know Danny is often too set in his ways, like stubbornly staying in man to man defenses.  Perhaps he needs to adjust his thinking on who he recruits at certain spots, positions, etc.  What's wrong with bring in a strong JUCO power forward ever so often for defense, rebounding, purposes, even though the guy can't hit the backboard from 20 feet away.  That crap that everyone should feel free to launch a 3 point shot is just that:  PURE CRAP!!   Hell, other Coaches with Danny's career record at one school in 9 years or so are probably scrambling round looking for something new, different, etc., to win more, and thus keep their jobs.  Danny, apparently, thinks that the status quo is perfectly OK with MU basketball and that Herd supporters, fans, alums, etc., should be all right being barely above average and mediocre and just "have fun"!!

How did you like the Jirsa, Herrion, Freeman years???? Just go take a nap and watch Lawrence Welk or something. More your pace.

Online coalherd

« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2022, 05:08:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• He still doesn't understand the system. And the biggest question is why does he watch? He is so miserable and hates Dannys coaching why would he put himself thru it?

Is it the "system", bust, or Coach's implementation of it?  Or the ability of the recruits he gets to properly and successfully run it?  What's the answer, then, for his overall record at MU, marginally above average?  If the "system" is so flawless and perfect, then "what's the problem"??  Please "splain"!!

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

Offline herd2win

« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2022, 05:11:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But you didn't criticize Doc after the disaster 2016 season. It took you till the 2019 season to barely say maybe it's time. And that was just because you was the last one to jump off the wagon lol!!!

I did kill Doc after 2016 including meeting with Hamrick and communicating to Dr. Gilbert.  I was very critical of him.  I also really enjoyed football during the Cato years as we were a legit top 20 team.  I also agreed we needed a change at coach because the program became stale.  I also noted be careful because we could do way worse than Doc.  Ask Nebraska about getting rid of Solich or Pelini.

Huff does not appear to be an upgrade over Doc as we are not a more exciting team and likely are staring at a losing record.

The following users thanked this post: muherd34

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2022, 05:14:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• He still doesn't understand the system. And the biggest question is why does he watch? He is so miserable and hates Dannys coaching why would he put himself thru it?
    He also seems to think the system is only about chucking threes. 

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, herdorbust2

Offline herd2win

« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2022, 05:18:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He also seems to think the system is only about chucking threes. 

It is definitely closer to Y ball verses being organized.  We play zero team defense and the shooting percentage is low on offense.  Not everyone should be throwing up threes even if they are open. 

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2022, 05:19:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I did kill Doc after 2016 including meeting with Hamrick and communicating to Dr. Gilbert.  I was very critical of him.  I also really enjoyed football during the Cato years as we were a legit top 20 team.  I also agreed we needed a change at coach because the program became stale.  I also noted be careful because we could do way worse than Doc.  Ask Nebraska about getting rid of Solich or Pelini.

Huff does not appear to be an upgrade over Doc as we are not a more exciting team and likely are staring at a losing record.

And we could do a lot worse than Danny like 30 years worth. Just sayin!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2022, 05:19:23 PM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2022, 05:21:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is definitely closer to Y ball verses being organized.  We play zero team defense and the shooting percentage is low on offense.  Not everyone should be throwing up threes even if they are open.

Worked getting us to the tournament after a 30 year dry spell and the only win in school history. Imagine that???

Offline herd2win

« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2022, 05:31:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Worked getting us to the tournament after a 30 year dry spell and the only win in school history. Imagine that???

10 days of getting hot in 10 years does not mean it is a good system.  I would take the consistency of Huck's teams and many of the coaches after Huck had a higher winning percentage.  Do you think anyone but Marshall and Whichita State even remember a 1st round tourney win by Marshall 5 years ago?  We got upstaged the same night by a 16 seed beating a 1 seed.  I know more people remember our hated rival throttling us 2 nights later to keep us out of the sweet 16.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2022, 05:42:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 10 days of getting hot in 10 years does not mean it is a good system.  I would take the consistency of Huck's teams and many of the coaches after Huck had a higher winning percentage.  Do you think anyone but Marshall and Whichita State even remember a 1st round tourney win by Marshall 5 years ago?  We got upstaged the same night by a 16 seed beating a 1 seed.  I know more people remember our hated rival throttling us 2 nights later to keep us out of the sweet 16.

But we did get hot for 10 days didn't we? Show me when that has happened before. And I loved the Huck days also but he never did it either. Sounds like you are going to be disappointed again this year when the team is rolling.

Online coalherd

« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2022, 05:50:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How did you like the Jirsa, Herrion, Freeman years???? Just go take a nap and watch Lawrence Welk or something. More your pace.

What do those years have to do with Danny, bust?  Even a "cheerleader" like you should know his evaluation as head coach will be based on what his teams do on the floor and NOTHING that prior teams did will count AT ALL in his evaluation by AD Spears, Pres. Smith, the BOG, etc.  At times, man, you just become totally UNHINGED, cause I can't believe you that you're that DUMB!!

Offline forphase1

« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2022, 06:43:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's amazing how every single person that goes to practice sees the same thing. But the ones that sit in their basement seem to know the facts. Thanks for your report!!

I'll chime in on this, though I probably shouldn't.  Many of us are taking a wait and see attitude with things.  For the past 3-4 years we've heard all these glowing practice reports only to be disappointed once the actual games started to be played.  I'm a Baltimore Orioles fan in baseball, and it's like spring training.  Every year I hear how great the players are looking, about how good the ball is coming out of the pitchers hands and how the hitters are keyed in and seeing the ball better than ever before.  And then we end up with a losing record, at least until this year.  But until the season begins hope springs eternal.  And that's a great thing, if not always realistic. 

Please note, I'm NOT saying to stop giving practice reports or to keep information to yourself.  I enjoy seeing the info even if I'm skeptical of the accuracy of it.   But bust you can act like you 'know the facts' on how this team is going to turn out, but the reality is none of us do.  For years you have seen the team shoot lights out in practice, and looks smoother and playing together as a team and hustling, etc etc.  Based on your practice reports we should be hanging banners from the rafters regularly.  But we haven't.  So forgive those of us who may be in our basement, but who take what we hear from coaches (looking at you Huff!), team media and super fans with a grain of salt as the reality doesn't always match up with the press conferences, news articles or practice reports. 

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, lexkyherdfan, Stripeshrt, herd1990, ru4mu2, muherd34, chris88, Flat Tire 2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2022, 06:50:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll chime in on this, though I probably shouldn't.  Many of us are taking a wait and see attitude with things.  For the past 3-4 years we've heard all these glowing practice reports only to be disappointed once the actual games started to be played.  I'm a Baltimore Orioles fan in baseball, and it's like spring training.  Every year I hear how great the players are looking, about how good the ball is coming out of the pitchers hands and how the hitters are keyed in and seeing the ball better than ever before.  And then we end up with a losing record, at least until this year.  But until the season begins hope springs eternal.  And that's a great thing, if not always realistic. 

Please note, I'm NOT saying to stop giving practice reports or to keep information to yourself.  I enjoy seeing the info even if I'm skeptical of the accuracy of it.   But bust you can act like you 'know the facts' on how this team is going to turn out, but the reality is none of us do.  For years you have seen the team shoot lights out in practice, and looks smoother and playing together as a team and hustling, etc etc.  Based on your practice reports we should be hanging banners from the rafters regularly.  But we haven't.  So forgive those of us who may be in our basement, but who take what we hear from coaches (looking at you Huff!), team media and super fans with a grain of salt as the reality doesn't always match up with the press conferences, news articles or practice reports.

40-0!!!

Offline forphase1

« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2022, 06:53:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• 40-0!!!

I'll get the banner ready!  It'll be the same size and shape as the one we've hung for the past 4-5 years of blistering success!

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline herd2win

« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2022, 07:18:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe we should hang the banners in the Rec Center as that seems to be where Dans teams win the most.

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

Offline chris88

« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2022, 07:25:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll get the banner ready!  It'll be the same size and shape as the one we've hung for the past 4-5 years of blistering success!

31 regular season games and if undefeated we would have to win 3 to go to NCAA tourney in SB tourney. Then it would take 6 wins to win NCAA Championship.  But with our schedule we will probably have to still play a play-in game in Dayton. So 41-0. Right?

The 2018 win in NCAA is a day I thought i'd never see and was thrilled.  Especially after the heart stopping win vs WKY in CUSA tourney where we almost blew a 12 pt lead in last 3 and a half minutes. And WVU was very good and gave Natl Champ Nova their toughest game of tourney.  The recruiting and lack of success since then has been a disappointment overall.

Honestly, I hope basketball team wins the 25+ games it should win this year with what likely will be a schedule ranked in 200+ range and wins the SBC reg season and conf tourney.  I wouldn't be shocked if it happens as we are set up pretty good.  Data bears out that good defense, rebounding, ball security, and shot selection/efficiency generally make the best teams. Not sure we'll have that but we may have enough to win SB and that will be enough for most of the fanbase.
    « Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 07:34:22 PM by chris88 »
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, ru4mu2, Flat Tire 2

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2022, 08:20:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No, it doesn't.

Of course it does.  Nonsense. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2022, 08:20:01 PM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2022, 08:24:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Of course it does.  Nonsense.

In what way?

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2022, 08:31:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In what way?

Would you rather be a 12 or 13 seed or a 16 or a play-in team?  It matters a whole lot. 

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2022, 08:33:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just want to chime in and say thanks for this thread and all the others like it.  Everyone sticks to their part perfectly.  It?s very entertaining internet reading, and genuinely funny.

Bravo to all of you.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2022, 08:33:40 PM »