Author Topic: Dantoni admits building weak schedule  (Read 6030 times)

Offline Flat Tire 2

Re: Dantoni admits building weak schedule
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2022, 05:00:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • True.. or anyone else. Hopefully Queens will attract a few more people this year. Last year's 30-4 team had an attendance high of 300 and a low of 55. Two years ago they hosted the conf tourney and the final (with Queens playing) attracted 77 people. I am not kidding, I looked it up. We are the only D1 OOC game they have at home on their schedule. Smart for BB staff to schedule a road game in a place where they don't have to worry about crowd intimidation or pipe in noise when practicing for the trip. Maybe our fans will outnumber them.

Good information, thanks for your research.  I wouldn't be surprised if we bring our own officials for the game. We do have an alumni chapter in Charlotte, so you might see some Herd fans at the game?  When I lived in Charlotte in the mid to late  1970's Queens was located in a nice and safe part of Charlotte. I guess the area is still good?

I would live to see the financials for the game. I wonder what is the guarantee is for traveling to Charlotte to play them or will the (Kings of Queens sorry for the joke) just do a return game in Huntington the following year as part of the contract?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 05:36:58 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2022, 05:00:00 PM »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2022, 05:01:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • True.. or anyone else. Hopefully Queens will attract a few more people this year. Last year's 30-4 team had an attendance high of 300 and a low of 55. Two years ago they hosted the conf tourney and the final (with Queens playing) attracted 77 people. I am not kidding, I looked it up. We are the only D1 OOC game they have at home on their schedule. Smart for BB staff to schedule a road game in a place where they don't have to worry about crowd intimidation or pipe in noise when practicing for the trip. Maybe our fans will outnumber them.

Perfect scheduling by the staff. Let's hope a lot of Herd fans do show up.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline coalherd

« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2022, 09:19:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/ASUNSports/status/1577737458762104846?s=20&t=Wk9EfizzfZTce1azlBKBUA

Looks like Queens is picked to be second to last in the ASUN

Oooooh, which means that Danny's squad is starting off the season with a Real "Toughie"!!  On the road, at that.  Which also means that after this game is over, HERD fans will know exactly what they knew before the opening jump ball about how the HERD should fare against REAL competition:  NOTHING!!

Offline coalherd

« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2022, 09:27:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've completely changed my mind. I think the OOC schedule should be even weaker with ONLY home games.  Why even play teams that have a chance vs our team? Schedule the very bottom of D1, some DII and DIII, and even some Naia teams. If fun and entertainment are the goal than I would like to see games at HC be like Harlem Globetrotter games.  Imagine our guys being able to clunk the ball off the opponents head, spin the ball on their toes for a few seconds and then kick it up off the backboard to have Kinsey fly in and dunk it.  Having Curfman shoot three pointers from half court and have OAK rebound any miss and 360 dunk. It would be the pretty normal no defense but our two 7 footers could swat opponents shots away at will leading to 4 on 1 breaks. For good measure, we could have DD pull down the refs pants and expose his Mickey Mouse underwear. Little kids and parents would love it! You'd sell more tickets and I might even drive in from Cincy for a "game". Think about it. It would be a knee slapping good time and we would go into SB play sky high in confidence.

Hey 88, that's certainly in keeping with Danny saying just what our basketball team and program are all about:  Having "FUN"!!  Nothing else matters, NOTHING!!  Frankly, I think to add to our "Fun Fest" the Athletic Department, etc., should TURN OFF the CAM Scoreboard during our home games.  No need to post the score throughout the game till the final horn!  It doesn't matter.  And constantly watching the scoreboard throughout the game certainly has to detract from the Fans enjoyment by taking their eyes off all the FUN our players are having on the court!!  :D

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2022, 07:38:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good information, thanks for your research.  I wouldn't be surprised if we bring our own officials for the game. We do have an alumni chapter in Charlotte, so you might see some Herd fans at the game?  When I lived in Charlotte in the mid to late  1970's Queens was located in a nice and safe part of Charlotte. I guess the area is still good?

I would live to see the financials for the game. I wonder what is the guarantee is for traveling to Charlotte to play them or will the (Kings of Queens sorry for the joke) just do a return game in Huntington the following year as part of the contract?

In home and home situations, like this is, there are very few financial obligations,
    One of the BIG reasons for this game is for the many Charlotte Herd fans to get to see a game. Our games at UNCC over the years always attracted many Herd fans.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2022, 07:42:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't follow high school basketball recruiting very closely, are there any of the recruits that we brought to campus that would be big time gets or any that some high majors or good mid majors are actively recruiting?

All the players that were on campus last weekend are currently HS sophomores. I would expect that some will make some noise over the next couple of years.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88, herdyouweresaying

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2022, 07:51:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In home and home situations, like this is, there are very few financial obligations,
    One of the BIG reasons for this game is for the many Charlotte Herd fans to get to see a game. Our games at UNCC over the years always attracted many Herd fans.

I know that home and home deals are basically a wash, financially, That why I wondered if was a home and home series which you seem to be stating? If DD wants a game in Charlotte, why doesn't he schedule a game with UNCC?  Wait, I think I may know the reason.  ;)
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 08:33:34 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, Johns1124, chris88

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2022, 07:56:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know that home and home deals are basically a wash, financially, That why I wondered if was a home and home series which you seem to be stating? If DD wants a game in Charlotte, why doesn't schedule a game with UNCC?  Wait, I think I may know the reason.  ;)

Maybe they wouldn't?

Offline herdyouweresaying

« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2022, 08:50:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All the players that were on campus last weekend are currently HS sophomores. I would expect that some will make some noise over the next couple of years.

Can't imagine that HS sophomores will still have this current staff by the time they get to college. Even if Dan finds success I wonder if he will still be coaching in 3 seasons? I also imagine that the AD will want to bring in a new head coach when Dan does leaves as opposed to promoting from within.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2022, 09:39:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can't imagine that HS sophomores will still have this current staff by the time they get to college. Even if Dan finds success I wonder if he will still be coaching in 3 seasons? I also imagine that the AD will want to bring in a new head coach when Dan does leaves as opposed to promoting from within.

I think the staff feels really good about the future of Herd basketball. With were the program is in 2-3-4 years when Danny retires don't be surprised if they don't promote within at that time to keep it going. JMO!!

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2022, 09:44:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the staff feels really good about the future of Herd basketball. With were the program is in 2-3-4 years when Danny retires don't be surprised if they don't promote within at that time to keep it going. JMO!!

I hope not.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, Flat Tire 2, andy31

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2022, 09:48:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope not.

I'm not sure his prediction comes to fruition.  That said, if it does that means the program is having a good run of success over the next few years so it's odd to read what you wish for.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2022, 09:48:58 AM »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2022, 09:59:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not sure his prediction comes to fruition.  That said, if it does that means the program is having a good run of success over the next few years so it's odd to read what you wish for.

Yes that was my point. I really think they feel so good about the future and where it's heading that they can keep the system rolling. JMO but why would you change if it is very successful and you have got the players to run the system? If not then I'm sure a change in direction will be made.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #188 on: October 06, 2022, 09:59:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't see Spears doing that. Like most ADs, he wants to bring in his own guy.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2022, 10:08:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't see Spears doing that. Like most ADs, he wants to bring in his own guy.

Spears may very well want his own guy. But if the program is really rolling and he does that and it doesn't work out then the heat is on him. That is all I'm saying.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #190 on: October 06, 2022, 10:16:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • John Brannen is my coach-in-waiting.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #191 on: October 06, 2022, 10:19:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I wouldn't mind that at all.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #192 on: October 06, 2022, 10:43:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Im in the no to John Brannen side . When the time comes , it will be someone Spears is familiar with , unfortunately , Capel comes to mind. Someone with no ties to MU would work for me too

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, The E-Man

Offline svherd

« Reply #193 on: October 06, 2022, 11:01:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Greg Marshall would be a great choice when DD retires. If he's even available

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop, Flat Tire 2

Offline whf

« Reply #194 on: October 06, 2022, 11:08:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't mind that at all.
    He recently took a position, non-coaching on floor, at Dayton.

Offline herdyouweresaying

« Reply #195 on: October 06, 2022, 11:25:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I mean I think if we go to like 2-3 straight NCAA tourneys and Dan steps down then they would have to look at promoting from within. But I think it would have to be success at that kind of level for it to happen. A couple of 20 win seasons against lower level competition will be a success, but in my view not successful enough to promote from within.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #196 on: October 06, 2022, 11:26:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Greg Marshall would be a great choice when DD retires. If he's even available

That is Marshall problem in football and basketball. They never give a coach a second chance. Either one of those coaches would be a home run hire. Look at Hugh Freeze at Liberty or Sansom at Houston, Bruce Pearl at Auburn.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #196 on: October 06, 2022, 11:26:34 AM »

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #197 on: October 06, 2022, 12:37:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He recently took a position, non-coaching on floor, at Dayton.

Yes, he  has returned to the college ranks thanks to former MU assistant coach Anthony Grant who is the head coach at Dayton.  Brannen's title is Program Analyst & Senior Special Assistant In this position, he will oversee the Flyer program?s efforts in analytics, scouting, self-scouting and video analysis.  He joined the the UD staff on, Sept. 6, 2022.

https://daytonflyers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/john-brannen/5339
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 01:18:53 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop, chris88

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2022, 02:55:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The first offer should be to Greg Marshall only!  He would immediately turn our program around and draw tidal wave buzz amongst the community.  Everyone makes mistakes and not offering him would be a huge one.  He may have baggage but deserves to right the ship and that ship floats in Huntington.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #199 on: October 06, 2022, 03:17:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope not.

Yep, "real Herd Fans" want to keep it going!!  It in reality is winning about Fifty-three percent of ALL the games you play in a very average to mediocre one-bid conference, be it CUSA or SBC.  Additionally, playing a mundane, ho-hum non-conference schedule to boot!  "We play for FUN"!  Yep, that's the battle cry that will inspire more students and more paying customers to "Jam the Cam", I'm sure.

Will no doubt really put the HERD prominently on the national D1 basketball map, for sure, and bring ongoing media attention and limelight on Marshall as a whole, in addition to the basketball program.  Just "keep it going"!

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, Johns1124

HerdFans.com

« Reply #199 on: October 06, 2022, 03:17:37 PM »