Author Topic: Dantoni admits building weak schedule  (Read 6030 times)

Online herdorbust2

Re: Dantoni admits building weak schedule
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2022, 08:35:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would you rather be a 12 or 13 seed or a 16 or a play-in team?  It matters a whole lot.

But wouldn't that 15-16 seed give you the big name you guys are clamoring for? All we hear is we want a big name and Danny is scared and then you turn around and want to play the easiest game possible in the tournament. I'm confused!!!!
    « Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 08:42:19 PM by herdorbust2 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2022, 08:35:54 PM »

Online forphase1

« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2022, 08:52:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm confused!!!!

The only part of this that made any sense....    ;D

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, MUfan08, ru4mu2, chris88, THECHAMPISHERE

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2022, 08:56:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only part of this that made any sense....    ;D

We want tough play tough teams then we would rather play east teams? Yep it's tough to figure out. Me thinks some just want to attack a certain program and coach.

Online forphase1

« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2022, 09:02:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We want tough play tough teams then we would rather play east teams? Yep it's tough to figure out. Me thinks some just want to attack a certain program and coach.

Come on, you can't really be that dense.  Seeding matters in the NCAA tourney, we have a much better chance as a 13 or 14 or even 15 seed than we would as a 16 seed.  Yes, playing a #1 versus a #3 or #4 or whatever would be us playing a 'lesser' team, but that's VASTLY different from wanting to see us play some teams with a pulse in OOC play.  It's common sense...me thinks some just want to defend a certain program and coach even when they don't need defended as they aren't being attacked.  But you do you bud. 

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, beau42m

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2022, 09:20:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Come on, you can't really be that dense.  Seeding matters in the NCAA tourney, we have a much better chance as a 13 or 14 or even 15 seed than we would as a 16 seed.  Yes, playing a #1 versus a #3 or #4 or whatever would be us playing a 'lesser' team, but that's VASTLY different from wanting to see us play some teams with a pulse in OOC play.  It's common sense...me thinks some just want to defend a certain program and coach even when they don't need defended as they aren't being attacked.  But you do you bud.

Ohio        24-10
    Akron.      25-10
    Toledo.      26-8
    Morehead.  23-11

They don't have a pulse? Or is it the hyperbole talk?

Offline herd2win

« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2022, 09:24:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ohio        24-10
    Akron.      25-10
    Toledo.      26-8
    Morehead.  23-11

3 MAC teams and Morehead.  Unless Phil Simms still plays for Morehead this is t exactly murders row.  None of those teams were ranked in the top 75.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2022, 09:38:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 3 MAC teams and Morehead.  Unless Phil Simms still plays for Morehead this is t exactly murders row.  None of those teams were ranked in the top 75.

You still here? I didn't think you would be around as long as Danny is coach.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2022, 09:46:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only part of this that made any sense....    ;D

Well, he's finally ADMITTED it, although it's been patently OBVIOUS on this site for quite a while now!!  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, beau42m

Online forphase1

« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2022, 10:06:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ohio        24-10
    Akron.      25-10
    Toledo.      26-8
    Morehead.  23-11

Perhaps don't have a pulse was a bit harsh.  But they also are not the kind of teams that anyone would circle on the schedule and think that it's a team I MUST be there to see us play or anyone to get excited to see us match up with.  No 'power' teams on the schedule and no name mid majors.  Looking in years past we have played Indiana and Wright State last year, Wright State the year before, Notre Dame and Florida the year before that, Maryland, Texas A&M and Virginia the year before, etc, etc.  This year nothing.  Really, if you are hanging your hat on Morehead State and some bloody MAC schools, then there is the problem.  Yes, those teams were decent last year and all won 20+ games, but they still aren't 'name' programs or anyone to get excited over playing.  We all know that in moving to the Sun Belt we lost a name or two (WKU, LaTech, UTEP, etc) and didn't really gain anyone in the Sun Belt.  So it would have been nice to have had a decent mid major or two or a P5 type school like we normally have had.  Instead not only has the conference schedule gotten a LITTLE bit easier (the difference between the two isn't that great, though there were more 'name' programs in CUSA) but the OOC has a bunch of teams no one knows or MAC teams.  I expect our record to improve, but I think that's more due to our SOS stepping back a bit versus our team actually improving.  Now hopefully the team has also improved like the practice reports suggest.  But we will see.  Regardless our schedule is pathetic and using MAC teams and flipping Morehead State to try to prop it up is, frankly, embarrassing. 

Let's Go Herd! 

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, chris88, Flat Tire 2, beau42m

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2022, 10:09:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Perhaps don't have a pulse was a bit harsh.  But they also are not the kind of teams that anyone would circle on the schedule and think that it's a team I MUST be there to see us play or anyone to get excited to see us match up with.  No 'power' teams on the schedule and no name mid majors.  Looking in years past we have played Indiana and Wright State last year, Wright State the year before, Notre Dame and Florida the year before that, Maryland, Texas A&M and Virginia the year before, etc, etc.  This year nothing.  Really, if you are hanging your hat on Morehead State and some bloody MAC schools, then there is the problem.  Yes, those teams were decent last year and all won 20+ games, but they still aren't 'name' programs or anyone to get excited over playing.  We all know that in moving to the Sun Belt we lost a name or two (WKU, LaTech, UTEP, etc) and didn't really gain anyone in the Sun Belt.  So it would have been nice to have had a decent mid major or two or a P5 type school like we normally have had.  Instead not only has the conference schedule gotten a LITTLE bit easier (the difference between the two isn't that great, though there were more 'name' programs in CUSA) but the OOC has a bunch of teams no one knows or MAC teams.  I expect our record to improve, but I think that's more due to our SOS stepping back a bit versus our team actually improving.  Now hopefully the team has also improved like the practice reports suggest.  But we will see.  Regardless our schedule is pathetic and using MAC teams and flipping Morehead State to try to prop it up is, frankly, embarrassing.

You think Wright St is a better name than those 3 MAC schools? Come on man!!! And if you only get excited about watching a P5 type school then is ND the only team that excites you in football this year?

Offline coalherd

« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2022, 10:27:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's be honest now, everybody.  I note that Duquesne is a member of the strong Atlantic 10 Conference, although the Dukes have been down lately and this season will probably be an also ran in what is one of the better overall Mid-Major Leagues.  One of Danny's better regular season victories was over the Dukes a few seasons back at a neutral site, I believe in Cleveland.

Personally, I'm getting hyped up for a road trip and game at vaunted Robert Morris.  That Titanic clash with the Pioneers, Colonials, Boutonnieres, or whatever the heck they are called should be a MAJOR media coverage event for Ten, Fifteen even Twenty miles in and around Moon Township, PA!!  I'm telling everyone right now to circle that game date NOW in red, uh Kelly green, on your calendars!! Not every day that MU gets to go up against a school named after a Broadway Actor!!  ;) ;)
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 02:28:39 AM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

Online forphase1

« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2022, 11:29:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• You think Wright St is a better name than those 3 MAC schools? Come on man!!! And if you only get excited about watching a P5 type school then is ND the only team that excites you in football this year?

You are actually right, I was confusing Wright St with someone else, though Wright State has 4 tourney appearances since 1993, same as Akron.  Ohio has 5 and Toledo has ZERO in the same time frame.  So yeah, by that standard Wright St. is roughly the same as the teams you are pointing to as our marquee matchups.   As to the rest, read my stinking post and comprehend it.  I said P5 or a known mid major.  For football in addition to ND we have some 'known' mid majors in App State and Louisiana was ranked #16 last year.  If we had anyone comparable on the basketball schedule, then I'd think differently.  Someone like an Iona or Northern Iowa even, or a Loyola who was ranked last year if I recall correctly.  Maybe a solid Big East school or some quality A10 competition.  But when your marquee matchup is freaking Toledo, yeah, that's a problem. 

Let's Go Herd! 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2022, 11:29:18 PM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2022, 11:41:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are actually right, I was confusing Wright St with someone else, though Wright State has 4 tourney appearances since 1993, same as Akron.  Ohio has 5 and Toledo has ZERO in the same time frame.  So yeah, by that standard Wright St. is roughly the same as the teams you are pointing to as our marquee matchups.   As to the rest, read my stinking post and comprehend it.  I said P5 or a known mid major.  For football in addition to ND we have some 'known' mid majors in App State and Louisiana was ranked #16 last year.  If we had anyone comparable on the basketball schedule, then I'd think differently.  Someone like an Iona or Northern Iowa even, or a Loyola who was ranked last year if I recall correctly.  Maybe a solid Big East school or some quality A10 competition.  But when your marquee matchup is freaking Toledo, yeah, that's a problem.

Louisiana is 2-3 this year. App st is 1-3 this year. Coastal is 5-0 but have been skating on thin ice barely beating Gardner Webb and lucky to beat Georgia Southern.  Last year has nothing to do with this year. And Ohio has been to the sweet sixteen in the last 10 years if we are going back. Bring on the Herd!!!!

Offline beau42m

« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2022, 12:32:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Weak OOC scheduling in both football and basketball tends to make me lose interest faster than any other factor in Marshall athletics. I remember it wasn't always that way, at least in basketball in the 1970's and 1980's. I bet for some fans it gives them less incentive to purchase season tickets or join the Big Green. I was a season ticket holder in the Pruett and Snyder years in the East Prime section. I looked for single tickets in the East Prime areas of 109 and 111 recently and they are readily available for the Louisiana game.  I can remember when those sections used to sell out in season tickets packages up to rows 25-30. Not any more. Seems like basketball is a little more stable. I went to numerous games in 2018. I only went to one game in 2019 and 2020. None since. You have to buy season tickets in the Henderson Center to get a good seat, IMO. So I will be watching the Sun Belt games on ESPN+. So Dan can beat up on all the cupcakes he wishes to schedule. I just will not be watching.
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 01:02:49 AM by beau42m »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2022, 05:57:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Louisiana is 2-3 this year. App st is 1-3 this year. Coastal is 5-0 but have been skating on thin ice barely beating Gardner Webb and lucky to beat Georgia Southern.  Last year has nothing to do with this year. And Ohio has been to the sweet sixteen in the last 10 years if we are going back. Bring on the Herd!!!!

This is what brought you and I together the last couple of years.  You could not defend basketball without always bringing football into the discussion.  This thread was about basketball but you continually have to bring football or Doc instead of addressing the issue about Dan or the basketball team.

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2022, 06:10:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 3 MAC teams and Morehead.  Unless Phil Simms still plays for Morehead this is t exactly murders row.  None of those teams were ranked in the top 75.

Phil Simms played football.

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #141 on: October 04, 2022, 06:54:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All I know is last year we were told that we could have one of the best DD teams ever and we won 11 games.  I believe Herd fans have a right to be skeptical.  Sure some fans may dislike DD but a large amount of fans really like him and want him to be successful but are playing a wait and see approach.  That doesn?t mean anything bad. 

And as for the schedule it is garbage.  Everybody knows that. Going 26-5 with that schedule didn?t move the needle nationally. If the Sun Belt conference wars to improve the perception of basketball beating teams like Queens will not do it.  The city defense as a while need to play too mid majors and a couple major teams and get wins.  Collecting a check against Duke or Kentucky doesn?t do it. There are plenty of others to get games with.

It is time to hold all of our programs to the same level we do football. We need to play better teams, cut out lower level teams (football included) and win.  It isn?t about almost being good or we have a lot of potential.  Playing an exciting brand of football or basketball doesn?t cut it.  Playing exciting brands of football and basketball but losing will not help our programs.  I will never under stand how playing an exciting brand of basketball or football is better and more interesting even if we lose.  The last time I checked wins are what matters in the end whether it is to go to a championship game or make a tournament. 

Playing a wait and see approach doesn?t mean someone doesn?t support a program or like a coach.  It is just how things can be.  I had the same opinion about football going into this year. I have ESPN+ and will watch games when I can but you can. 
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 06:57:41 AM by lexkyherdfan »

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, forphase1, parshall2marshall, ru4mu2, chris88, Flat Tire 2, coalherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2022, 07:41:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All I know is last year we were told that we could have one of the best DD teams ever and we won 11 games.  I believe Herd fans have a right to be skeptical.  Sure some fans may dislike DD but a large amount of fans really like him and want him to be successful but are playing a wait and see approach.  That doesn?t mean anything bad. 

And as for the schedule it is garbage.  Everybody knows that. Going 26-5 with that schedule didn?t move the needle nationally. If the Sun Belt conference wars to improve the perception of basketball beating teams like Queens will not do it.  The city defense as a while need to play too mid majors and a couple major teams and get wins.  Collecting a check against Duke or Kentucky doesn?t do it. There are plenty of others to get games with.

It is time to hold all of our programs to the same level we do MENS SOCCER. We need to play better teams, cut out lower level teams (football included) and win.  It isn?t about almost being good or we have a lot of potential.  Playing an exciting brand of football or basketball doesn?t cut it.  Playing exciting brands of football and basketball but losing will not help our programs.  I will never under stand how playing an exciting brand of basketball or football is better and more interesting even if we lose.  The last time I checked wins are what matters in the end whether it is to go to a championship game or make a tournament. 

Playing a wait and see approach doesn?t mean someone doesn?t support a program or like a coach.  It is just how things can be.  I had the same opinion about football going into this year. I have ESPN+ and will watch games when I can but you can.

I fixed it for you. LOL!

I don't know why anyone would not like DD. Great alum, loves our school. I like him and wish he and the team the very best. That said, I don't agree with playing a weak schedule to rack up wins and hopefully get hot for one week in March. That doesn't sound like we are trying to be the best program we can. jmho.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2022, 07:52:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Weak OOC scheduling in both football and basketball tends to make me lose interest faster than any other factor in Marshall athletics. I remember it wasn't always that way, at least in basketball in the 1970's and 1980's. I bet for some fans it gives them less incentive to purchase season tickets or join the Big Green. I was a season ticket holder in the Pruett and Snyder years in the East Prime section. I looked for single tickets in the East Prime areas of 109 and 111 recently and they are readily available for the Louisiana game.  I can remember when those sections used to sell out in season tickets packages up to rows 25-30. Not any more. Seems like basketball is a little more stable. I went to numerous games in 2018. I only went to one game in 2019 and 2020. None since. You have to buy season tickets in the Henderson Center to get a good seat, IMO. So I will be watching the Sun Belt games on ESPN+. So Dan can beat up on all the cupcakes he wishes to schedule. I just will not be watching.

thanks for sharing.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2022, 07:56:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It is time to hold all of our programs to the same level we do football. We need to play better teams, cut out lower level teams (football included) and win.  It isn?t about almost being good or we have a lot of potential.  Playing an exciting brand of football or basketball doesn?t cut it.  Playing exciting brands of football and basketball but losing will not help our programs.  I will never under stand how playing an exciting brand of basketball or football is better and more interesting even if we lose.  The last time I checked wins are what matters in the end whether it is to go to a championship game or make a tournament. 

I was told when we moved to the SB that who we played and name recognition didn't matter. Now it's all about who you play lmao!!! I say if a person doesn't like the schedule don't go. But whining about it isn't going to change it. Those people are miserable anyway so I don't figure they will be missed. Go Herd!!!!

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2022, 07:57:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Phil Simms played football.

Poor guy lol!!!

Offline herd2win

« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2022, 08:05:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Phil Simms played football.

Exactly, it was a joke that the best thing about Morehead was Phil Simms and he would be better than any basketball player.  I guess that joke flew way over your head.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2022, 08:05:20 AM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2022, 08:11:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Exactly, it was a joke that the best thing about Morehead was Phil Simms and he would be better than any basketball player.  I guess that joke flew way over your head.

Wow you show your stupidly more ever day. Simms would be their best basketball player? Morehead St has had a rich basketball ration thru the years. They just had a kid Johni Broome 6'10" transfer to Auburn that was bigtime as a freshman. I heard Phil Simms lit him up lol!!!
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 08:20:08 AM by herdorbust2 »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2022, 08:22:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I officially give up.  It was a joke.  I was not saying Phil Simms is a good basketball player I was pointing out that the only thing most people know about Morehead is that Phil Simms played there.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, parshall2marshall

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2022, 08:29:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I officially give up.  It was a joke.  I was not saying Phil Simms is a good basketball player I was pointing out that the only thing most people know about Morehead is that Phil Simms played there.

You just said he would be better than any basketball player. You say crazy stuff and then when called out you say it was a joke. Just like the thread about Huff wanting to lose to get out of Huntington. Then after the heat you claimed it was tongue in cheek.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2022, 08:29:27 AM »