Author Topic: MU vs Chicago St GAME THREAD  (Read 1587 times)

Offline thunderingon

Re: MU vs Chicago St GAME THREAD
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2022, 08:44:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A lot of these guys said they didn't want to join the SBC because they didn't care about team X or Y and didn't want to go to those games.  Now it's "I go to see Marshall play, regardless of the opponent."   Which is it?  They're defending this schedule because it's supposed to save their messiah.  It's piling up thick in here.

I can assure you that no basketball or football coach is my "messiah".  There's only one of those.  Ive had season tickets off and on when possible since the White years and have sat through some pretty bad basketball during that time.  I have enjoyed the DD era as I think it is an entertaining brand and he loves Marshall, but when his time is done, I will still be there.  I don't go to games or not go to games to prove a point or to watch their opponent...I go because its Marshall and its fun.  Its not life and death...just not that serious.  For me, its a short drive, so I completely understand folks that live out of town. 

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, kpimichael, horsrman, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2022, 08:44:18 AM »

Offline Collis P

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2022, 09:02:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A huge part of our problem is our aging fan base. Where is sit is a prime example. I sit in 211, I am 60 years old and I am likely the second or third YOUNGEST in the entire section. The school better start making in roads to younger fans, families and the students or attendance at both football and b'ball will be tiny in the next 5-10 years.

Funny, the soccer crowds are MUCH younger in age overall.

SVHERD - I think you have hit it right on.  I am in my 80's and live local and go to all the home games and believe me it is sometimes difficult to get my butt going (lol) as 9pm is my bedtime (lol) -

With that said I totally agree with you on the younger generation of possible fans not interested in Basketball and Football as it was 25 years ago.  Apathy and other reasons (cost, travel, other interests, and population)  - 

In my opinion the Marshall administration needs to really address the students and younger generation to determine what gets them to games (besides winning) -  I was always interested in Marshall athletics (all) when I was younger.  I cannot give you specifics why!!

I would really enjoy seeing students and younger families really raising he!! and standing in front of me so I could complain.  LOL

I will continue to be their as long as my wife and I can attend...............         Go Herd!
    S M I L E -

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2022, 09:37:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Attendance issues are just about everywhere except the blue blood programs.  Hopefully the ones on here complaining about it are actually at the games.  I love the posts I see, usually on FB, from someone saying "where's the crowd" as they sit at home watching on tv  :o

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, horsrman

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2022, 09:44:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Crowds are indicative are 2 things - support and atmosphere.  Those are the only two reasons to ever care about crowd.  And there is one thing that affect crowds - how well are you connecting with others.

I had 4 family members that had not been to a Marshall basketball game in recent year secure free tickets last night (understanding they got them because of <cough> quality of opponent, date, Thanksgiving week, etc).  The game itself was quality enough, but the rest of the atmosphere was lifeless and I know one of them said "it's not like it used to be" and probably had no interest in returning.

Athletics should be used to enhance our profile and engage our community.  The game last night did nothing to advance that.  Home games against Chicago State and in-season Bluefield are waste of opportunities to go play AT a big boy.  I'd rather have one half-way noteworthy home opponent than three bodybag games.  If the atmosphere is dead, the university ultimately losses that day.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, ru4mu2, Flat Tire 2, The E-Man, luckytoes99, beau42m

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2022, 09:50:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Crowds are indicative are 2 things - support and atmosphere.  Those are the only two reasons to ever care about crowd.  And there is one thing that affect crowds - how well are you connecting with others.

I had 4 family members that had not been to a Marshall basketball game in recent year secure free tickets last night (understanding they got them because of <cough> quality of opponent, date, Thanksgiving week, etc).  The game itself was quality enough, but the rest of the atmosphere was lifeless and I know one of them said "it's not like it used to be" and probably had no interest in returning.

Athletics should be used to enhance our profile and engage our community.  The game last night did nothing to advance that.  Home games against Chicago State and in-season Bluefield are waste of opportunities to go play AT a big boy.  I'd rather have one half-way noteworthy home opponent than three bodybag games.  If the atmosphere is dead, the university ultimately losses that day.

Kind of like 6 home football games and 2 are beyond no name opponents.

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2022, 10:47:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A lot of sickness going around too.. I've been in the hospital for 4 days now with my 6-month-old son who has Flu A, RSV, and pneumonia. That's prevented me from making either of the last two home games

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2022, 10:49:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A lot of sickness going around too.. I've been in the hospital for 4 days now with my 6-month-old son who has Flu A, RSV, and pneumonia. That's prevented me from making either of the last two home games

Sorry to hear this. I hope he gets well soon.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, horsrman, Herdalum83, herdorbust2

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2022, 10:57:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sorry to hear this. I hope he gets well soon.

Thank you.. He is improving, slowly but surely

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2022, 10:58:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

🙏🙏🙏

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, Herdalum83

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2022, 11:35:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Praying for your son to get well soon. There are way more important things than being at a sports game.

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2022, 11:46:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks E and Bust... I appreciate the prayers

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, The E-Man, herdorbust2

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2022, 05:11:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He loves TK dribbling the %^&* out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the past few years, we?ve had the opportunity to watch a couple Marshall legends with Elmore and Kinsey, but some people just can?t let themselves enjoy it. Both of those guys love Marshall, have been fantastic ambassadors for the school and both could have left and chose not to?but yet we still have folks that think they need to be critical.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, Herdalum83

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2022, 05:11:24 PM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2022, 05:32:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Over the past few years, we?ve had the opportunity to watch a couple Marshall legends with Elmore and Kinsey, but some people just can?t let themselves enjoy it. Both of those guys love Marshall, have been fantastic ambassadors for the school and both could have left and chose not to?but yet we still have folks that think they need to be critical.

I don't think 2bison is being critical. I think he is just pointing out a weakness that needs to stop. When the ball is moving we are very good. When he starts dribbling a lot then bad things usually happen. BTW Kinsey just received the first SB conference player of the week honor.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, horsrman

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2022, 06:26:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kinsey is not handling the ball as much this year. Andy by far has the ball in his hands the most on the team, and if anyone, he is sometimes guilty of over-dribbling/failing to keep the ball moving.

This is verified by a stat analyzed by Ken Pomeroy, which he calls Percentage of Possessions Used.  It simply measures the personal possessions used while a player is on the court by assigning credit or blame when his actions end a possession, either by making a shot, missing a shot that isn?t rebounded by the offense, or committing a turnover. Andy has one of the highest ratings of Percentage of Possessions Used in the country so far this year (300 out of over 4,500 D1 players).

Compare that to last year, when Kinsey's Percentage of Possessions Used ranked him 89 out of over 4,500 D1 players. Simply stated, Taveion was on the ball a ton last season.

I am not citing these stats to say that Andy and Taveion are not playing well this season. They are. The change in the offensive structure has benefitted both players. Last year the Offensive Efficiency Ratings of Kinsey and Taylor were 99.6 and 99.8, respectively. This year, those numbers have jumped up to 125.9 and 113.6, respectively.

Let's hope they stay there; Kinsey's Offensive Efficiency Rating has him sitting at 242nd in the country so far. Taylor could improve his Offensive Efficiency Rating if he could draw more fouls and get to the line; that is the single most fundamental weakness in his game.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, luckytoes99

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2022, 06:36:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Over the past few years, we?ve had the opportunity to watch a couple Marshall legends with Elmore and Kinsey, but some people just can?t let themselves enjoy it. Both of those guys love Marshall, have been fantastic ambassadors for the school and both could have left and chose not to?but yet we still have folks that think they need to be critical.
    I love TK.  Can I not be a big fan and also be critical of one part of his game?  That I think eliminating would make him and team better?

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2022, 08:30:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Bison is only telling the truth about Kinsey, he's a turnover machine when he handles the ball for to long. Prime example, Kinsey was dribbling last night before the first half ended, I told my nephew to watch and see if Kinsey doesn't turn it over and what happened, Kinsey lost the ball. I love TK like everyone else, but his weakness is he should never touch the ball for a long period of time.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, Collis P, horsrman, herdorbust2

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2022, 08:36:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bison is only telling the truth about Kinsey, he's a turnover machine when he handles the ball for to long. Prime example, Kinsey was dribbling last night before the first half ended, I told my nephew to watch and see if Kinsey doesn't turn it over and what happened, Kinsey lost the ball. I love TK like everyone else, but his weakness is he should never touch the ball for a long period of time.
    Honestly other than Taylor not sure who should have it very long.  Maybe Conner?  Other wise catch it and shoot it or go to hole, or keep it moving via pass.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, ru4mu2, Collis P, The E-Man

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2022, 08:46:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly other than Taylor not sure who should have it very long.  Maybe Conner?  Other wise catch it and shoot it or go to hole, or keep it moving via pass.

We are best when the ball is moving quickly. When it starts becoming stagnant in anyones hand for very long that is when we look bad. I also love Kinsey when he is playing to his strengths. Remember last year wen we were struggling and then Kinsey doesn't even play against the best team UAB? I thought we are toast. Guess what? The ball started moving again and we won that game without TK.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man

Offline coalherd

« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2022, 10:14:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kind of like 6 home football games and 2 are beyond no name opponents.

Get a grip, bust.  We had to get a FCS opponent this season in football due to the conference move.  App State was already scheduled as an OOC foe when suddenly they are a Conference opponent!  Either play TWO FCS teams this year or give up a HOME GAME and play only 11 teams in Football.  A No brainer obviously.  Except, of course, for you with your vision TOTALLY Laser Focused on Danny D's REAR END, thus explaining your nonsensical comment!!

Offline coalherd

« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2022, 10:28:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 10-15 years our attendance in both sports will be destroyed. The young generation could care less and the older generation will be gone. It's a reality that isn't going to change. I'm going to enjoy it while I can but Marshall is in major trouble in both sports going forward. Just wait 10 years and come back to this topic.

Can you expect anything else?  Especially when too many of the younger families with young children year after year have to leave Huntington and the surrounding area to find better employment opportunities?  Bet another class of MU graduates this year will be scattering to all points of the country, and perhaps the world, for the same reason, with only a very small percentage remaining in and around Huntington!!  The older, 50 y.o. crowd on up into the late 70s, early 80s, HERD Fans we see so prevalent in our crowds at the CAM, in the JOAN, etc., are NOT being replaced every year by enough younger fans, families, because those groups are NOT around anymore in the area in sufficient numbers!!

One day, hopefully soon, maybe Huntington will have a City leader/Mayor, who is far more interested in economic development and job growth instead of a wanna-be Social Worker hell bent on handing out free needles and building drug rehab houses on any vacant lot he can find!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2022, 10:28:48 PM »