Author Topic: Dantoni admits building weak schedule  (Read 6028 times)

Offline herd1990

Dantoni admits building weak schedule
« on: October 02, 2022, 11:42:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Says we need to get confidence by beating weak teams early before we face that daunting Sun Belt schedule.  That 12 win season really motivated him.  Not to get better, just to make the path to 16-17 wins easier. 

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall-basketball-wants-its-mojo-back/article_f7b0ebff-68f5-5180-ac9c-8db624fc446c.html

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

HerdFans.com

Dantoni admits building weak schedule
    « on: October 02, 2022, 11:42:04 AM »

Offline 2xBison

Re: Dantoni admits building weak schedule
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 11:46:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd wager well over 16 wins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 12:08:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd wager well over 16 wins

Agree. 16 wins is laughable. This team is going to shock people.

Offline chris88

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 12:23:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The schedule was weak last year too and ranked between 150-190 at end of year depending on SOS source. And that included the 3-4 teams at top of CUSA who are all better than anyone in SB.  Give credit to the three MAC schools that had 20+ wins last year that we played but, for most part, all three played very weak schedules too. DD makes it sound like we are taking a break from strong scheduling just this year. Reality is we are going from a below average SOS to a horrible SOS.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, forphase1, MUfan08, VA Herd Fan, coalherd

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 12:28:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does strength of schedule matter when only one team is ever going to get a bid?

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, MicDrass1, herd247

Offline chris88

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 12:53:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does strength of schedule matter when only one team is ever going to get a bid?

The committee only looks at teams and not conferences.  DD is mistaken that you'd have to go undefeated to get an at large in SB.  While scheduling is much tougher than it is in power leagues you could schedule strong enough to get at large consideration if you beat enough good teams and not lose games you should win for most part. It's all about how your resume compares to those also being considered.

SOS also matters for NCAA seeding.

The biggest joke is the notion that confidence is the most important thing going into conf play.  But if you beat a bunch of nobody's i'm not sure who you think you're fooling except yourself. Winning 25 vs that schedule is no special feat IMO and will get you little national attention unless you win the conf tourney. So, to me, a season worth remembering would be either winning the SB regular season and/or the conf tourney (NCAA bid obviously worth a lot more money than NIT). If our schedule were played on a neutral court there is a good chance we'd be favored in every game or at least all but a couple.

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

Online svherd

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 12:58:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

So we admit we are not good enough to even attempt to get an NIT bid or at large NCAA? What message does that send to the fans, future recruits. Sad.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, MUfan08, chris88, coalherd

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 12:59:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Id love to have a top 50 schedule , but it wont help us one bit if we dont win the SBC tourney. The SB is a one bid league , if we had just three regular season losses but lose in the conference tourney , its the NIT for us.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 01:00:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree. 16 wins is laughable. This team is going to shock people.

I hope you're right. I love DD, but I've seen some basketball fundamentals that I'm surprised he hasn't addressed. These are techniques that can and should be corrected.
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 04:47:39 PM by The E-Man »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, chris88, Flat Tire 2

Online svherd

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 01:01:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Id love to have a top 50 schedule , but it wont help us one bit if we dont win the SBC tourney. The SB is a one bid league , if we had just three regular season losses but lose in the conference tourney , its the NIT for us.

So we have a top 100 Schedule, win 20 plus games and get an NIT bid. That isn't worth it?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 01:12:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Agree. And this years team is really good. It will be the most fun and exciting team he has put on the floor. I just can't keep saying it enough. These 3 freshman and Curfman are going to make a huge difference. They are 4 of your top 8 players. You are adding 7'1", 6'10" and 6'9" that all have a skill set and not just bodies. Then you are adding a true shooter that was desperately needed. I haven't been this excited about a team since the Huck years. And the great thing is all we lose is Kinsey. I don't see any of the top 8 transferring. They all love it here and love playing for Danny. This may be the closest team yet. The excitement these guys are showing is incredible this year. Also Adam Williams has been a huge addition to the staff. Him and Corny really bring the energy everyday.
        These guys are really playing hard. I just hope there isn't any major injuries. There are 3 guys banged up right now and not practicing but it's minor stuff and only out a couple days.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline muherd34

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2022, 01:12:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So we have a top 100 Schedule, win 20 plus games and get an NIT bid. That isn't worth it?

Here is my opinion,  just WIN.  No matter who is on the schedule.  No outside fan will even look at our schedule if we win 10 or 25 games.  Just win baby

The following users thanked this post: wlf, herd247

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2022, 01:12:50 PM »

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2022, 01:21:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So we admit we are not good enough to even attempt to get an NIT bid or at large NCAA? What message does that send to the fans, future recruits. Sad.

I don't think it's an admission of not good enough, but an admission the deck is 100% stacked. MTSU at 25-8 (86 sos, but no bad losses) not getting an at large pretty well showed "non-power" schools are now disadvantaged. That's your base for NIT with a regular season conference win. Then you hear how the announcers talk about the non-power teams. It just is what it is unless you can make a tournament run, build next year and keep building consistent runs over time.

The following users thanked this post: wlf, herdorbust2

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2022, 01:26:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think it's an admission of not good enough, but an admission the deck is 100% stacked. MTSU at 25-8 (86 sos, but no bad losses) not getting an at large pretty well showed "non-power" schools are now disadvantaged. That's your base for NIT with a regular season conference win. Then you hear how the announcers talk about the non-power teams. It just is what it is unless you can make a tournament run, build next year and keep building consistent runs over time.

This sounds like the way football is going. No chance to be a national player. Just schedule for wins. The MTSU team at 25-6 was in reality a bubble team and the selection committee usually takes care of their own teams first.
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 01:37:29 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2022, 01:45:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It does matter when it comes to the seeding in the Big Dance. You play a weak schedule and your seeding drops to the 14 range and the probability of winning the first round is very low. The selection committee can point to your weak schedule and you can't really argue the point even if you are undefeated. You really need to beat a high profile team during the regular season to get any respect. I am not saying that is fair, but is they way the system currently works.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2022, 01:50:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It does matter when it comes to the seeding in the Big Dance. You play a weak schedule and your seeding drops to the 14 range and the probability of winning the first round is very low. The selection committee can point to your weak schedule and you can't really argue the point even if you are undefeated. You really need to beat a high profile team during the regular season to get any respect. I am not saying that is fair, but is they way the system currently works.

Just get to the tournament. It's funny how some are saying we aren't playing a high profile team blah blah. Then they complain we may get a low seeding and have to face a high profile team lol. Bring on round ball. Sky is the limit!!!

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2022, 01:54:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just get to the tournament. It's funny how some are saying we aren't playing a high profile team blah blah. Then they complain we may get a low seeding and have to face a high profile team lol. Bring on round ball. Sky is the limit!!!

True, but we haven't been to the tournament very often.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2022, 02:08:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• True, but we haven't been to the tournament very often.

Let's just get there. Then we can play that big name everyone is clamoring for. Sometimes I think Marshall fans enjoy being miserable than just watching a fun exciting brand with the best freshman class he has brought in so far. These guys are a blast to watch. If these 3 freshman come on like expected, this team is going to finally be deep, skilled and long and have a lot of different combos for whatever is needed.

The following users thanked this post: herd247

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2022, 02:21:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Let's just get there. Then we can play that big name everyone is clamoring for. Sometimes I think Marshall fans enjoy being miserable than just watching a fun exciting brand with the best freshman class he has brought in so far. These guys are a blast to watch. If these 3 freshman come on like expected, this team is going to finally be deep, skilled and long and have a lot of different combos for whatever is needed.

Will the bball player/soccer drummer stay on the b-ball & soccer benches?

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2022, 02:22:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Let's just get there. Then we can play that big name everyone is clamoring for. Sometimes I think Marshall fans enjoy being miserable than just watching a fun exciting brand with the best freshman class he has brought in so far. These guys are a blast to watch. If these 3 freshman come on like expected, this team is going to finally be deep, skilled and long and have a lot of different combos for whatever is needed.

I am miserable after last year's basketball team finished in last place in the conference.  >:( Seriously, I am sure we will be better this year.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2022, 02:32:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am miserable after last year's basketball team finished in last place in the conference.  >:( Seriously, I am sure we will be better this year.

Actually we weren't last place in the conference. And this is a new year. Last year I history and has absolutely nothing to do with this year.

Online herd2win

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2022, 02:38:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Actually we weren't last place in the conference. And this is a new year. Last year I history and has absolutely nothing to do with this year.

Has a lot to do with this year.  If DD doesn't change his lack of dialing into a smaller rotation, continues not to call timeouts when the other team is on a run and doesn't stress defense then it will be similar results but the record will be better because of the schedule.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2022, 02:38:35 PM »

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2022, 02:41:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Actually we weren't last place in the conference. And this is a new year. Last year I history and has absolutely nothing to do with this year.

Last place in CUSA East, is that better? 4-14 in the conference and 12-21 overall.
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/standings/_/group/11

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2022, 02:43:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• True, but we haven't been to the tournament very often.
    No, but our best result in tourney is DD.  I'm confident we will have a very good year.  Only question in my mind is better than 2018 or not?

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, herd247

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2022, 02:43:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Last place in CUSA East, is that better? 4-14 in the conference and 12-21 overall.
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/standings/_/group/11

That is better thank you!! Again that was last year. This team doesn't resemble that team in anyway.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2022, 02:43:51 PM »