Author Topic: Practice Today  (Read 2948 times)

Offline 11-14-70

Practice Today
« on: June 06, 2018, 02:18:52 PM »
  • [Like]4
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep, we're loaded!! Locked, loaded, and boy can we shoot! I got there, the last 20 minutes of practice, and seen all I needed to see in the first 10.  Anyone who can, should come by at 9:00 am in the morning (Thursday), and check these guys out.  I was impressed with what I saw today, and Elmore, Byers, and Sustic weren't even there.  This team is going to have gazelle speed!  Iran looking noticeably slimmer. He's a monster.  I know that Danny would like to see him at around 320, but if he gets down in the 330-340 range, I think he can play to his full potential. In a couple of years, its going to be hard to get any of these kids a full 40 minutes of playing time, and that's a good problem to have!

GOOD HERD!

And I Mean It!

HerdFans.com

Practice Today
    « on: June 06, 2018, 02:18:52 PM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: Practice Today
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 02:23:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I’m planning to go tomorrow morning to check out Sustic.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Brando3213

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 02:54:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do they practice Saturday AM? 

Offline Collis P

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:14:49 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
    I believe the next practice after tomorrow - Thursday 9am -
    Next week - Monday 11th at  7:00am (Volleyball camp all week in the Henderson)  also Thursday 14th at  7:30am)                 
    The following week Monday June 18th 3:30pm (Herd camp all week)  also Weds the 20th at 3:30pm................     
    ** Practices are subject to change however............ this is the most current.............................
    S M I L E -

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep, we're loaded!! Locked, loaded, and boy can we shoot! I got there, the last 20 minutes of practice, and seen all I needed to see in the first 10.  Anyone who can, should come by at 9:00 am in the morning (Thursday), and check these guys out.  I was impressed with what I saw today, and Elmore, Byers, and Sustic weren't even there.  This team is going to have gazelle speed!  Iran looking noticeably slimmer. He's a monster.  I know that Danny would like to see him at around 320, but if he gets down in the 330-340 range, I think he can play to his full potential. In a couple of years, its going to be hard to get any of these kids a full 40 minutes of playing time, and that's a good problem to have!

GOOD HERD!

And I Mean It!

I agree 100%. We look really good now and 3 of our best players arent there. Jon, beyers and sustic. Im beyond pumped and herdmeister said its like the best christmas present ever watching these guys. Lol!!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline Bob25526

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 09:08:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How about Dillon?
    Look good?

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 09:28:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How about Dillon?
    Look good?

I personally think dillon is the hidden gem of this group. He does everything well and just knows how to play. Already has the body and has the toughness. This whole class is very good. And if we get the main 4 they are after, that will be 3 very strong classes back to back with a LOT of size and shooters. I tell you, CJ os a shooting machine and he is in the best shape a player could be in right now.  Jon and cj are going to shred teams this year. Eest is better, janson is better, watson....this team is going to be a blast to watch. And you can see the sparkle in danny's eye. He knows he has finally got this program at a high level and i think he is really having a lot of fun coaching these guys.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MarshallMike, JReese

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 09:39:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have to miss practice tomorrow. Can the ones that go tomorrow give an update on sustic? I really want to see him and will have to wait till monday. Everyone i have talked to that saw him, says he shoots it and runs better than peneva. Peneva was a better shot blocker. That is very exciting!!! I saw the beyers kid and i know he can flat out fill it up from anywhere. But an update tomorrow on sustic would be appreciated. 

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 11:06:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I saw Sustic when he was here.  He is more athletic than Penava, but in no way does he shoot as well.  He can shoot, but doesn't have the shooting form of Penava.  He doesn't approach Penava in ball handling or passing either IMO.  I say he gets 10-12 minutes a game next year.

With that being said, Beyers is all that and a cup of coffee.
    « Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:09:53 PM by MUtim »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 11:37:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I personally think dillon is the hidden gem of this group. He does everything well and just knows how to play. Already has the body and has the toughness. This whole class is very good. And if we get the main 4 they are after, that will be 3 very strong classes back to back with a LOT of size and shooters. I tell you, CJ os a shooting machine and he is in the best shape a player could be in right now.  Jon and cj are going to shred teams this year. Eest is better, janson is better, watson....this team is going to be a blast to watch. And you can see the sparkle in danny's eye. He knows he has finally got this program at a high level and i think he is really having a lot of fun coaching these guys.

Herdorbust if "Eest" is better, I'll bet West is even better than him!!  ;D (Just joshing you!).

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 05:39:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdorbust if "Eest" is better, I'll bet West is even better than him!!  ;D (Just joshing you!).

I have fat thumbs lol.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 06:40:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Collis post is correct on practice times. Until regular season practices starts in Oct, don't expect any Saturday practice.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 06:40:44 AM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 09:49:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdorbust if "Eest" is better, I'll bet West is even better than him!!  ;D (Just joshing you!).

I was thinking, what are the odds of having a typo that completely throws in the opposite of the intended word?  Good stuff :)

Offline Collis P

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 03:33:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have to miss practice tomorrow. Can the ones that go tomorrow give an update on sustic? I really want to see him and will have to wait till monday. Everyone i have talked to that saw him, says he shoots it and runs better than peneva. Peneva was a better shot blocker. That is very exciting!!! I saw the beyers kid and i know he can flat out fill it up from anywhere. But an update tomorrow on sustic would be appreciated.
    Herdorbust - Sustic arrived late this morning (around 1:20am)  - Did not practice...  He will practice Monday morning at 7:00am............................... Bring your coffee..............   
    S M I L E -

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 08:04:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdorbust - Sustic arrived late this morning (around 1:20am)  - Did not practice...  He will practice Monday morning at 7:00am............................... Bring your coffee..............

Thanks, I hope to be there Monday.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 09:41:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I saw Sustic when he was here.  He is more athletic than Penava, but in no way does he shoot as well.  He can shoot, but doesn't have the shooting form of Penava.  He doesn't approach Penava in ball handling or passing either IMO.  I say he gets 10-12 minutes a game next year.

With that being said, Beyers is all that and a cup of coffee.

I thought it would be hard to shoot as well as peneva also. Because i thought peneva could really stroke it for a 6'10 guy. But everyome i talked to that was there said he shoots it every bit as good and probably better from mid range. I heard he runs the floor better also. They did say peneva handled it better and was better shot blocker. But that is why i want to see him. I want to make my own mind up. I do know that beyers can shoot it. And he does shoot better than peneva, and maybe better than anyone on the team. Although CJ is really shooting well.

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 02:22:29 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Beyers has a great shot and I agree that he shoots better than Penava.  He's got a similar shot to Jannson IMO.  Both of them have great form.  Either of them should be able to play PF or Wing and fill it up from the corner.  Beyers does neee to add some strength.  As good as he looked offensively with his shooting,  Jannson owned him in the one on one drills when they matched up.

It's going to be a great year.  As good as these freshman are, basketball is more than leaping ability.  I would definitely redshirt Kinsey and Brooks Harris.  I have watched 2 of 3 practices and saw both Beyers and Sustic when they were here.  There is a pretty wide gap between George, whom I consider our 8th best player...and the freshman.  The only one who I would even consider playing is Dillon, whom I think is being greatly overlooked.  He doesn't have the hops of the other frosh, but he's excellent all around.  I just don't see why we would cut minutes out of the top 8, with Sustic as the 9th..too much of a drop off.  Those freshman have all the tools, but a redshirt year of learning the offense and getting a little thicker would do them wonders in the long run. 

Don't want to come across as too harsh on the freshman.  I really like them and think they will be good.  I think Brooks Harris could be special.  He is very George Gervin like.  Kinsey is really athletic, but I don't think he is a future PG like some speculated earlier this year.  He lacks the ball handling skills IMO..at least at this point.  After watching these practices, West will be the PG after Elmore.
    « Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:37:18 AM by MUtim »

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Online parshall2marshall

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 05:35:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Beyers has a great shot and I agree that he shoots better than Penava.  He's got a similar shot to Jannson IMO.  Both of them have great form.  Either of them should be able to play PF or Wing and fill it up from the corner.  Beyers does neee to add some strength.  As good as he looked offensively with his shooting,  Jannson owned him in the one on one drills when they matched up.

It's going to be a great year.  As good as these freshman are, basketball is more than leaping ability.  I would definitely redshirt Kinsey and Brooks Harris.  I have watched 2 of 3 practices and saw both Beyers and Sustic when they were here.  There is a pretty wide gap between George, whom I consider our 8th best player...and the freshman.  The only one who I would even consider playing is Dillon, whom I think is being greatly overlooked.  He doesn't have the hops of the other frosh, but he's excellent all around.  I just don't see why we would cut minutes out of the top 8, with Sustic as the 9th..too much of a drop off.  Those freshman have all the tools, but a redshirt year of learning the offense and getting a little thicker would do them wonders in the long run. 

Don't want to come across as too harsh on the freshman.  I really like them and think they will be good.  I think Brooks Harris could be special.  He is very George Gervin like.  Kinsey is really athletic, but I don't think he is a future PG like some speculated earlier this year.  He lacks the ball handling skills IMO..at least at this point.  After watching these practices, West will be the PG after Elmore.

Totally agree with all. Better to RS Cam and Kinsey while giving Dillon this year on the court to get experience for next year.

Only way I would not RS those 2 frosh was if DD was planning on "defending every inch of the court". That would take a major modification to the system. Plausible strategy, but I don't see DD doing that. It would take minutes away  from Jon and CJ and hurt us a little offensively while hoping to make up the difference defensively.

We really got hurt by offensive rebounds and 2nd and 3rd shots on some opponents possessions. I don't see that being a problem with our 5 bigs now. 28-3 as someone posted not long ago seems like a ceiling but maybe still potentially doable if we can sneak up on those ACC schools while they might be distracted by the holidays and their students are away on break. I know that is some major expectations and green glasses but boy are we skilled right now.

The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 06:42:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdorbust - Sustic arrived late this morning (around 1:20am)  - Did not practice...  He will practice Monday morning at 7:00am............................... Bring your coffee..............

Collis is bringing donuts!
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 06:49:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Totally agree with all. Better to RS Cam and Kinsey while giving Dillon this year on the court to get experience for next year.

Only way I would not RS those 2 frosh was if DD was planning on "defending every inch of the court". That would take a major modification to the system. Plausible strategy, but I don't see DD doing that. It would take minutes away  from Jon and CJ and hurt us a little offensively while hoping to make up the difference defensively.

We really got hurt by offensive rebounds and 2nd and 3rd shots on some opponents possessions. I don't see that being a problem with our 5 bigs now. 28-3 as someone posted not long ago seems like a ceiling but maybe still potentially doable if we can sneak up on those ACC schools while they might be distracted by the holidays and their students are away on break. I know that is some major expectations and green glasses but boy are we skilled right now.

Danny again yesterday told us that at this point he doesn't plan on red shirting anyone. Obviously that can change after 2 exhibition games.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 07:38:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Collis is bringing donuts!

Ill bring the  coffee lol.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 07:40:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sometimes it comes down to redshirting and taking a chance on losing them. I know for a fact that is why he didnt redshirt peneva.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 07:40:49 AM »

Offline Herd2believe

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 08:02:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As far as redshirting goes, I’ll leave those decisions to DD. Just wanted to point out that while it may open up a grad transfer situation, I look at CJ as a success story. He got his academics in order the first year. Paid his dues and developed as a reserve his freshman and sophomore year, and became a star as a  junior and looking forward to a great senior season. J. Williams appears to me to be similar.

The following users thanked this post: JReese

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • CJ was not a choice he was a NQ
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 09:25:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like Dillon a lot. He has a nice shot and just knows the game. He’s playing today in the North-South All Star Basketball Classic.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 09:25:46 AM »