Author Topic: Smock: Chase Litton's choice a puzzling one  (Read 2234 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
Smock: Chase Litton's choice a puzzling one
« on: January 16, 2018, 07:47:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    West Virginia’s Will Grier decided in December to return for his senior year, and all parties concerned will benefit. Grier will avoid jostling with a loaded quarterback class in the draft and throw to David Sills for another 200 touchdowns. In the process, the Mountaineers should win 10-plus games and Grier may become a first-round pick.

Marshall’s Chase Litton hasn’t shown he is worthy of carrying Grier’s shoulder pads, but he had an opportunity to have a great senior year. He had an offensive line that has generally mastered pass-blocking, one NFL-caliber receiver and three other proven pass catchers, plus at least two solid running backs.

Instead, Litton is heading to the NFL jungle. I probably shouldn’t be surprised, but I am.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/marshall_university/doug-smock-chase-litton-s-choice-a-puzzling-one/article_be14122e-47f8-5550-929f-11bf8951b6ae.html

HerdFans.com

Smock: Chase Litton's choice a puzzling one
    « on: January 16, 2018, 07:47:55 AM »

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

Re: Smock: Chase Litton's choice a puzzling one
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:18:35 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/marshall_university/doug-smock-chase-litton-s-choice-a-puzzling-one/article_be14122e-47f8-5550-929f-11bf8951b6ae.html

A Smock article of substance. Hell must have froze over with Huntington. If Smock can stay away from the fluff, rainbows, and butterflies, stop attacking fans, and maybe ask one tough question per press conference...he may just have a career in this one day.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, parshall2marshall, svherd, herdorbust

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:37:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A Smock article of substance. Hell must have froze over with Huntington. If Smock can stay away from the fluff, rainbows, and butterflies, stop attacking fans, and maybe ask one tough question per press conference...he may just have a career in this one day.

His articles have been so Herd Athletic Department centric lately I suspect this article shows Doc, Hamwreck, and company is really pissed at Litton's decision.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 08:52:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • His articles have been so Herd Athletic Department centric lately I suspect this article shows Doc, Hamwreck, and company is really pissed at Litton's decision.

Good point...that could be it as well. Maybe just same old Smock...venting for the stooges. Him leaving does put the pressure on Doc and company BIG TIME. In my opinion we went from a shot at a 12-0 season...to having no chance against the P5 teams we play and maybe losing up to 6 games as we break in a new QB. Big difference.

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:53:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everybody should be pissed at this decision.  Leaves the team in a lurch with a season that could be epic.  Further, if you are a Chase fan, he is making a huge mistake, one that will probably ruin his chances at an NFL career.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

The following users thanked this post: svherd, ed swain, THECHAMPISHERE

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:56:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chase did not make a logical decision.  This seems more of a something behind the scenes related decision.  The team would have been better with Chase returning as QB, and Chase would have been better ready for an NFL opportunity.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, The E-Man, THECHAMPISHERE

Online svherd

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 09:02:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I stand by the thought that he knew who our OC would be or at least the 2-3 being seriously considered, saw their schemes and what role the QB played, knew it wasn't a good fit and that he would likely lose his job. Legg prolly coddled him and he knew that wouldn't be the case going forward. jmo

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Online elginherd

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 10:52:29 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Before I make my point, I do not believe CL is ready for a shot at making an NFL roster at this time. He'd be better off demonstrating, that as a 4-year senior, he was capable & ready to run what ever system he played in & that he was smart & mature enough to run a new-to-him offense.

But, let's look at CL's situation through Litton & his camp's eyes:
    Their point could be that he may not have come close to realizing his potential under Doc's watch. With threeyears with Legg as the QB coach, he still falls into incredibly bad habits come game time. He & his people may have no confidence in Doc's ability to hire a great QB coach & OC; therefore, CL would be better served improving his skills with one of the private QB tutors. 

In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 10:59:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Before I make my point, I do not believe CL is ready for a shot at making an NFL roster at this time. He'd be better off demonstrating, that as a 4-year senior, he was capable & ready to run what ever system he played in & that he was smart & mature enough to run a new-to-him offense.

Their point could be that he may not have come close to realizing his potential under Doc's watch. With threeyears with Legg as the QB coach, he still falls into incredibly bad habits come game time. He & his people may have no confidence in Doc's ability to hire a great QB coach & OC; therefore, CL would be better served improving his skills with one of the private QB tutors.

Actually last year he had a real QB for his coach. Goebbel was his coach and he played QB at Kent State
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually last year he had a real QB for his coach. Goebbel was his coach and he played QB at Kent State

Right.  And that's the strongest argument against hiring Goebbel for the OC position.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, goherd24, THECHAMPISHERE

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Right.  And that's the strongest argument against hiring Goebbel for the OC position.

+1

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 11:38:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I honestly don't understand why people keep blaming the coaches for Litton's problems. It is not coaching. You simply can't coach toughness in the pocket. That is something you have or don't have. That isn't a knock on the kid, but just the truth. His trouble was getting antsy in the pocket and quickly throwing off his back foot or dropping his shoulder and side arming a pass up for grabs. Chase had all the physical tools and threw a really nice ball when he stepped into his throws. But you can't teach what he didn't have.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, horsrman, Flat Tire 2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 11:38:17 AM »

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 12:10:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I honestly don't understand why people keep blaming the coaches for Litton's problems. It is not coaching. You simply can't coach toughness in the pocket. That is something you have or don't have. That isn't a knock on the kid, but just the truth. His trouble was getting antsy in the pocket and quickly throwing off his back foot or dropping his shoulder and side arming a pass up for grabs. Chase had all the physical tools and threw a really nice ball when he stepped into his throws. But you can't teach what he didn't have.

Chase's bad mechanics was more mental than anything. Remember the N.C State, and Cincy games? Chase was on fire and right on target. I hate to see Chase leave, everything happens for a reason. If Isaiah Green steps up and have a great season, Chase will be forgotten about real quick.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Flat Tire 2

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chase's bad mechanics was more mental than anything. Remember the N.C State, and Cincy games? Chase was on fire and right on target. I hate to see Chase leave, everything happens for a reason. If Isaiah Green steps up and have a great season, Chase will be forgotten about real quick.

That is my point. When he felt the pocket getting small he got rid of the ball and made some bad throws and decisions. It was beyond obvious to me. But that is just the way I saw it.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, The E-Man

Online svherd

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 12:46:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I certainly see your point.  But athletes in all sports work with private coaches all the time. It's done in middle school, high school, college and the Pro's. If Chase wanted to improve that much, he and his family would have sought the services of a coach/tutor to help improve in all facets of the game. Did they? Not sure.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 01:13:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You raise a lot of issues, and I could go on and on about it.  But suffice it to say the first layer of blame I place upon the coaches is trying to squeeze a non-running QB into a zone-read system.  Whether Chase couldn't run, wouldn't run, or whatever... it was obvious he wasn't going to run.  So defenses could key on the "give" and commit nothing to the "read".  If the Herd offense ran that play on first down, the result would typically be second and long.  On second and long, defense could pin their ears back and rush the passer.   Same on third and long. 

When you combine an offense which is being dictated to by the defense with the fact that our passing scheme was very, very basic... that compounded the problems.  Now you have a qb who doesn't seem to enjoy being hit... getting hit more often than he should have. 

Like I said, that's just the tip of the iceberg.  No need to elaborate further.

Best of luck to Bill Legg and to Chase!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man

Offline MUther

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everyone said we should be stacked next year and ready to win.  I said with our attrition we would likely lose some key players that would leave people saying next year again next year.  And here we are.  However, Chase came in his freshman year and we won a lot of games.  No reason Green or Morrell (with game experience) couldn't have a breakout first year.  The real question is who else leaves before we see a single down next year? 

If we keep our line and the rest of our receivers and our running backs, and the defense remains mainly intact with some improvements in secondary, we should be left only needing to have a system that fits one of our 3-4 QB options.  The main problem with losing Chase is the domino effect.  Who else decides to go?  One big rat jumped ship and that makes all the other rats a little nervous.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline VA Herd Fan

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 06:07:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The kid made a decision I should’ve made my junior year. You live and learn. Best of luck. #HerdForever

This was posted by Devon Johnson on Twitter.
    Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.  Mark Twain

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 06:18:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The kid made a decision I should’ve made my junior year. You live and learn. Best of luck. #HerdForever

DJ's situation is totally different. And only time will tell if Chase made the right one just like it was time that proved DJ made the wrong one. There is no guarantee had he went after his junior year that his career would have been any more successful. But, it's obvious his position on the food chain coming out would have been higher for DJ without the injury.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 06:53:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Then again, if DJ would have remained healthy and had a monster Senior season he would have been in a great draft position.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 06:54:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is my point. When he felt the pocket getting small he got rid of the ball and made some bad throws and decisions. It was beyond obvious to me. But that is just the way I saw it.

When feeling the pocket getting small was further compounded by Chase's nearly total inability or inclination to tuck the ball and run.  You see it every game, almost, in the NFL or high level FBS college ball:  a normally classic pocket QB bringing the ball down and making a key play, or plays, with his feet.  This factor, lack of almost any running from Chase, was NOT LOST on most of the better D coordinators at MU's foes.  Result was perhaps even greater pressure on him in the pocket trying to throw.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 07:26:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have been told the team, well the majority, like his decision.

The following users thanked this post: HaveUherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 07:26:27 PM »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 07:30:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have been told the team, well the majority, like his decision.

And would that because they're hoping for his future success in life or are they just glad to see him gone?

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 08:14:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting how quickly people warm up to Smock when he dares to talk about herd fans and agrees with them... but that when he doesn't, he's unprofessional and a not so smart. Ain't it?

Well, I... still... think Smock is a very substantive, compelling writer... and offers some strong points... but.

But while I'll stop well short of saying anything close to the conclusion that Chase should have made the decision he did, I believe Smock would have been better to have recognized that there's a stronger argument for Chase's decision than what he acknowledges here. For instance, that the history that says if you're one of the top 12-ish QBs there's an awful good chance you're going to be, at minimum, on an NFL practice squad as UFA, and with a strong combine, potentially even sneak into the back of the draft.

And that a relative bird in the hand is not necessarily inferior to two in the bush. (Rockhead evidently tweeted today to concur with that.)

Right now, the first takes by actual people employed in the scouting profession appear to rank him in the 8-12 range.

It's just not as cut-and-dried as Smock suggests with the factoids he's cherry-picked. But maybe... maybe... this is all a ploy because he's secretly under mandate from his boss to make kissy face with the herd fans (?).

We're all certainly allowed to have our opinions, but Chase has to look out for Chase and make the best decisions for his future as he sees fit. We say that all the time about this player and that player who leaves our program prematurely. Doesn't apply any less for him as far as I'm concerned.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 04:31:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everyone said we should be stacked next year and ready to win.  I said with our attrition we would likely lose some key players that would leave people saying next year again next year.  And here we are.  However, Chase came in his freshman year and we won a lot of games.  No reason Green or Morrell (with game experience) couldn't have a breakout first year.  The real question is who else leaves before we see a single down next year? 

If we keep our line and the rest of our receivers and our running backs, and the defense remains mainly intact with some improvements in secondary, we should be left only needing to have a system that fits one of our 3-4 QB options.  The main problem with losing Chase is the domino effect.  Who else decides to go?  One big rat jumped ship and that makes all the other rats a little nervous.

Morrell, if he even sniffs starting at QB, we are in real trouble, and might as well hang it up. I hope Green is good.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 04:31:01 AM »