Author Topic: ST. Pete Bowl? Does the local Alumni Chap know something?  (Read 803 times)

Offline marcbuff

ST. Pete Bowl? Does the local Alumni Chap know something?
« on: November 17, 2017, 08:07:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  This is from an email from the Alumni Group in St Pete/Clearwater.  This followed the TV party announcement.

Also, there is a very good possibility that our bowl game this year will be in St. Pete.  If so, I would like to be able to have all of us sit together at the game and arrange a tailgate beforehand, if possible.  The game is on Thursday, December 21st at 8pm. If you are interested in any of the above mentioned activities, please either call, email or see me or Kris at the party this week.

HerdFans.com

ST. Pete Bowl? Does the local Alumni Chap know something?
    « on: November 17, 2017, 08:07:20 PM »

Offline whf

Re: ST. Pete Bowl? Does the local Alumni Chap know something?
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 12:23:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • That would be great.

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 07:53:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That would be great.

Yep nothing like playing in the St. Pete bowl for the 7486839596th time.  Yes I know we’ve only gone twice I just think it’s a shitty bowl game like the other 47 bowl games
    « Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 07:55:08 AM by herdfan429 »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate watching football in that stadium. I'm hoping for a return to Boca. That was my best Herd bowl experience. I'd most likely pass on St. Pete. That would save me money for Frisco, Tx and the CUSA basketball tournament. 
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Offline marcbuff

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 09:17:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would prefer the Cure Bowl in Orlando first with St Pete ( closest to me ) second. Boca is a great destination too. Please no Bahamas.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 11:10:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doubt it.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 12:49:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would prefer the Cure Bowl in Orlando first with St Pete ( closest to me ) second. Boca is a great destination too. Please no Bahamas.

Every league member that goes bowling MUST take their turn in Nassau
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Big City

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 12:51:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep nothing like playing in the St. Pete bowl for the 7486839596th time.  Yes I know we’ve only gone twice I just think it’s a %^&*ty bowl game like the other 47 bowl games

Man you gripe about some trivial stuff.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: bluedevilherd

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 01:03:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Every league member that goes bowling MUST take their turn in Nassau

That should be for the teams 6-6 or 7-5 at best. Also, if this means EVERY member, then some of the CUSA West teams can go as well.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 01:04:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Who are the potential opponents for the St. Pete bowl?
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline goherd24

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 01:17:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Who are the potential opponents for the St. Pete bowl?

Ohio, Toledo, southern wv community college

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 01:40:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The AAC sends teams to the St Pete and Boca bowls. Don't know where they stand in terms of bowl eligibility, but playing someone from that league would be nice. Of course, as dshoe says lots of horse trading can go on.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 01:40:17 PM »

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 01:44:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Man you gripe about some trivial stuff.

Yep our conferences crappy bowl affilitiaons and the fact that everyone led to a bowl game sure is trivial. It’s only discussed on this very forum EVERY YEAR.

Offline FLORIDA HERD FAN

• Heisman
    « Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 08:37:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Has anyone else been hearing rumors that the Gasparilla Bowl is seriously considering a Marshall-WVU matchup? Much as I would enjoy such a great matchup, I wouldn’t want the Herd to accept an invitation unless Will Grier is 100%. No excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CharlestonHerdGuy

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Has anyone else been hearing rumors that the Gasparilla Bowl is seriously considering a Marshall-WVU matchup? Much as I would enjoy such a great matchup, I wouldn’t want the Herd to accept an invitation unless Will Grier is 100%. No excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t want to play them this year.  We played them with bad teams for too many years. I’d of loved to have played them in 2013 or 2014, especially 2014. No objective person could argue by any measure that we wern’t the better team that year.

Offline marcbuff

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Makes sense. WVU has over 5000 alumni in the Tampa area

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Saw this posted on the Downtown Huntington facebook page.

The new website won't be ready until Dec. 1, but we're already cranking out material that will probably be dated by then. So here's a sneak peek at what's coming soon!!

HERD'S LOSS IN SAN ANTONIO MUDDIES ALREADY CLOUDY BOWL PICTURE
    By Justin Prince

With most Football Bowl Subdivision teams down to their final week of the regular season, the college bowl picture is as out of focus as it was more than a month ago.

Perhaps no conference’s bowl picture is harder to make out than Conference USA’s. The league has six bowls that it is contractually tied to, but heading into week 13 of the college football season, CUSA already has eight teams bowl eligible.

The CUSA bowl breakdown gets even more complicated when you factor in that at least one more team will reach the six win plateau as Old Dominion and Middle Tennessee each sit one win away from bowl eligibility heading into Saturday’s showdown between the two teams. A tenth team, Louisiana Tech also sits at 5-6 with an opportunity to qualify for post-season play if it can knock off the Roadrunners of UTSA this weekend.

In most years, this many CUSA teams with the minimum six wins would mean that a few teams would be left out despite meeting the bowl requirements. But, in 2017, it is likely that the league will be able to find a bowl home for all of its bowl eligible teams as current projections show that of the 78 bowl slots available only 76 teams will reach the necessary six wins.

Marshall’s bowl situation was far from solidified before this past weekend, but its loss at Texas-San Antonio Saturday night has complicated things for Herd fans even further. Before CUSA sends teams to bowls it isn’t affiliated with, it will meet its contractual requirements.

Those six bowl games are listed in chronological order below.

R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl – December 16th (CUSA vs. Sun Belt)
    Gildan New Mexico Bowl – December 16th (CUSA vs. Mountain West)
    Boca Raton Bowl – December 19th (CUSA vs. American)
    Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl – December 21st (CUSA vs. American)
    Bahamas Bowl – December 22nd (CUSA vs. MAC)
    Armed Forces Bowl* - December 23rd (CUSA vs. Army)

* CUSA swapped the Heart of Dallas Bowl with the Big 10 for the Armed Forces Bowl back in September.

The conference Champion, which will be either west division winner North Texas or the east division winner Florida Atlantic, will get first dibs at selecting a bowl.  From there the conference will work with the remaining teams to create the most interesting matchups while also trying to stay somewhat regional.

Assuming FAU beats North Texas for the second time this season the Owls are likely to stay at in the sunshine state and take on an American conference team, with South Florida and Charlie Strong being the matchup Lane Kiffin and company want the most. Also with the Gasparilla Bowl, the Owls could end up with a team like the Oregon Ducks, which would also be a enticing opponent for the league champion. 

So with FAU staying in Florida that would mean the Mean Green will probably occupy one of the games out west. Now, North Texas just played Army and defeated the Black Knights 52-49 so sending them to the Armed Forces Bowl doesn’t make a lot of sense, especially after the two teams played in a bowl game against each other last year as well. So pencil North Texas into the New Mexico Bowl spot likely against a very good San Diego State team.

The New Orleans Bowl will get either Alabama-Birmingham or Southern Mississippi while UTSA will probably head to Forth Worth, Texas for the Armed Forces Bowl to keep the regional flavor going. That means the Bahamas Bowl and whichever Florida bowl the Owls chose not to take are the only remaining slots that need filled.

This is where things get interesting as Marshall, Western Kentucky and Florida International are all 4-3 in conference play. The Hilltoppers and the Panthers play each other this weekend so one of them will be 5-3. If FIU wins that means no matter what the Thundering Herd does the Panthers will finish higher in the standings due to holding the head to head.

If FIU finishes ahead of Marshall they will likely be spared the Bahamas Bowl and will make a short drive north to Boca Raton for their bowl spot. If Western Kentucky wins this weekend, however, the Hilltoppers can only finish ahead of Marshall if the Herd loses at home to the Golden Eagles. But, CUSA officials have made it clear that each conference team will eventually have to “take their turn” in the Bahamas Bowl and WKU had its turn in 2014 when they defeated Central Michigan in the first ever Bahamas Bowl.

Then there is also Middle Tennessee and Old Dominion playing each other to determine who sits at home during bowl season and who gets to participate. Neither of them are likely Bahamas Bowl candidates as the Blue Raiders played in the 2015 game while the Monarchs were CUSA’s 2016 representative.

Which means if Marshall wants to avoid a trip to the Bahamas Bowl to play a MAC school like Central Michigan or Ohio then it needs to win this weekend. An eight win season would give the Herd a little more say-so in where it ends up, especially if WKU knocks off FIU, and if given the choice, the Herd will obviously choose Florida over the Bahamas.

Then there are games like the AutoNation Cure Bowl in Orlando, Florida, that doesn’t have a contract with CUSA but is likely to nab a CUSA team to play against an offering from the Sun Belt. This scenario likely doesn’t happen for Marshall if it wins Saturday but the Herd could be on the short list of CUSA teams being looked at by Cure Bowl officials. The bowl game will likely pair a CUSA team with Appalachian State, an old rival of the Herd’s from its Southern Conference days. That’s a matchup that would intrigue and excite many older Marshall fans, but the Cure is more likely to snag WKU or Middle Tennessee than Marshall due to where the teams are in the standings.

I say all of that to say this, the bowl picture is still a mess but, if fans want to plan in advance to see the Herd in post-season action, you might want to get your passport ready. At least the weather in the Bahamas will be nice, even if the opponent isn’t.

📷: Sholten Singer/The Herald-Dispatch

HerdFans.com

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »