Author Topic: Ten Things Blog (Land of Milk and Honey)  (Read 514 times)

Offline Thundering In MD

Ten Things Blog (Land of Milk and Honey)
« on: November 17, 2017, 08:34:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Finally got a moment to write it:

https://herdfans.weebly.com/blog

I hope I don't get committed for this one.  Seriously, I look forward to seeing what others think.

If anyone knows the meaning behind the turtles pictured in the collage, I would appreciate it if you would share.  There are six of them on the stones of the unknowns.  Each one has the date of the crash on it.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:37:26 AM by Thundering In MD »
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, lovetheherd2, Big City, ThunderValley, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

Ten Things Blog (Land of Milk and Honey)
    « on: November 17, 2017, 08:34:56 AM »

Offline Big City

Re: Ten Things Blog (Land of Milk and Honey)
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 09:11:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Number 4. Emotional Shutdown.

sadly I think a lot of us fans have arrived at this point. FLAT

When the Herd walked off the field against WKU I don't know what I felt. The Herd beat em. but its just WKU. That shouldn't have been our first W against them. I can't even explain it, I have never really been here with a sports team. I will watch the game tomorrow night but I am at a weird point where I have zero expectations. I still care- I think?

I am looking forward to my daughter making her visit to Marshall but I know Ohio (help me) and Auburn really have her attention. She knows the Marshall story well however I am looking forward to the visit and then making a few stops including the cemetery with just our family and sharing a few more details.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your thoughts.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, parshall2marshall, ThunderValley

Offline whf

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 09:31:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Many of you know that I moved my family from WV to New Orleans, then to Jacksonville, back to WV for two years, on to eastern PA for 9, then my wife and I settled in the Cincy area in the mid 1990s.  I marched my sons to every small liberal arts school we could find, trying to enhance their interest in schools outside our normal realm of regions when we traveled. 

Their mother's and my allegiance to MU also took them to many games all over the eastern seaboard, basically wherever MU played they eventually made.  For some reason (perhaps both sets of grandparents in Hurricane), they chose to attend MU over all those other schools. It was an 9 hour trip for them back then.

I still believe it was their love for the thought of Marshall more than the school itself that led them to that decision. 

Marshall creates competitors; I'll bet the majority of us would classify ourselves in that class...competitors.  It creates folks with perseverance, I'll bet the majority of us would classify ourselves in that class too. 

As long as Marshall's academics and athletics continue an attitude of competing and persevering, I'll be there to support it.  Certainly many of us are challenged with a persevering spirit right now, hopefully it passes soon because we're built; we're defined by it.

Good luck to your children with their choices.
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:32:37 AM by whf »

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, Big City, herdfifteen, herdfan129

Offline elginherd

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope I don't get committed for this one.

You won't get committed for this piece. However, you still might gt committed based on some of your previous blogs  ;D
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD

Offline Surbadger

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:31:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope you enjoyed the Green and White day.  The recruitment office does a good job and students get exposure to professors and faculty that they would not usually see on a regular campus tour. I hope everyone enjoyed.

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great insight. Summed up the fan base’s feeling regarding football well. Apathy is a program killer.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:36:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good read and very cool to hear the news about Gilbert being so great with the prospective students.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline svherd

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good read. I too hope Marshall continues to invest more time and dollars into student recruitment, they'll have to - it is the lifeblood of the school. The students are paying customers. We have to grow the enrollment.

#4 Resonated with me as well.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 01:46:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It wasn't me yelling at Legg from grandstand, but it should have been. I have been calling for his head basically since he got here, with a slight respite during the Cato years..

p2m
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 03:13:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope you enjoyed the Green and White day.  The recruitment office does a good job and students get exposure to professors and faculty that they would not usually see on a regular campus tour. I hope everyone enjoyed.

We did an individual tour on Spring Break and the tailgate at the previous game.  My daughter was already set on Marshall before the Greeen-White day.  Green-White day was the first exposure to Marshall for the other kid.  We were all impressed.

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 03:17:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It wasn't me yelling at Legg from grandstand, but it should have been. I have been calling for his head basically since he got here, with a slight respite during the Cato years..

p2m

He was uncomfortably aggressive.  We have dudes who yell all the time sitting around us.  This guy was much more intense. 

Offline HerdinKY

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 03:20:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He was uncomfortably aggressive.  We have dudes who yell all the time sitting around us.  This guy was much more intense.
    I could hear him from Sec 104 over top of whatever little bit of crowd/band/cheerleader noise that there was.  I was afraid he was going to have a stroke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When "Thunderstruck" starts its too late!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 03:20:33 PM »

Offline Big City

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He was uncomfortably aggressive.  We have dudes who yell all the time sitting around us.  This guy was much more intense.

and those guys in front of you were pretty loud and intense  :o
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 03:52:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • and those guys in front of you were pretty loud and intense  :o

Personally, I wish some of those guys would sit with my buddy Stick over on the East side behind the visitors' bench.  Yell at the opposing players and team. 
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:08:03 PM by Thundering In MD »

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anyone know the story about the turtles on the markers?

Offline elginherd

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've given the state of MU FB & the state of MU the university a lot of thought over the last few years, especially over the last few months now that I'm a full time retiree (at least for right now). Back in 2001, my older daughter was a finalist for the Society of Yeager scholars, which she didn't succeed, but the Honors program at MU offered a great deal and she would've accepted if she hadn't received the Palmetto scholars award and basically got paid to go to the real USC. At that time, it seemed like MU did make a serious effort to recruit promising students. Hopefully that is still the case. An institution does not have to have successful FB in order to be a good-to-great college or university.

BUT, IMO here's where Thundering's pt. #4 intersects:
    At many schools FB is the catalyst for students' excitement & social life, where freshmen, like little ducklings, get imprinted into becoming life long fans & supporters of the school.This is true even in D-II & FCS schools. Yes, winning is important. But boring-ass offense kills the all-important excitement and entertainment factors.
    Moreover, the relative inaccessibility of Herd telecasts makes it difficult for us far-flung alum to sell or sons, daughters, friends' kids, or (in my case) extremely gifted science students to even give MU a thought. Yes FB is important to most of those guys & girls. And I have propagandized a few who probably would have been successful Yeager candidates. (The Yeager is one of the best programs for the very gifted around.)
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »