Author Topic: Bad loss  (Read 2101 times)

Offline herdorbust

Re: Bad loss
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 08:04:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well first, i am not going to blame peneva. 21 pts and 10 rebounds i will take every night. But he has zero help. That is why williams, bledsoe and koljanin should get all the minutes with him imo so they can get the experience and toughen up to the game. Also watson will help because he has a rebounding mindset from the guard position.but this team needs to have it drilled into them over and over that rebounding has to be a main focus.
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:05:50 AM by herdorbust »

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, Scottyo614

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 08:04:06 AM »

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I never seen the game, but MU shot 46% for the game.  From the comments about getting slaughtered on the boards 49-28 by a smaller Morehead team it comes down to (1) being in poor rebounding position, (2) lack of personal grit to get the rebound, or (3) combination of both. 

Are we still playing that all 5 players on the perimeter jacking 3s with no players in rebounding position offense?

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 08:27:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well first, i am not going to blame peneva. 21 pts and 10 rebounds i will take every night. But he has zero help. That is why williams, bledsoe and koljanin should get all the minutes with him imo so they can get the experience and toughen up to the game. Also watson will help because he has a rebounding mindset from the guard position.but this team needs to have it drilled into them over and over that rebounding has to be a main focus.

Koljanin should start, and Mijovic should only get minutes to spell Penava (5-10 minutes per game). After that, Williams should be the one to spell Koljanin, as he has a big upside. Let these guys play and start to gel

My .02

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Offline MIA

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 08:28:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • so being out rebounded is either a lack of effort or lack of talent or both? Have we ever been a good rebounding team since Dan’s arrival? Look I want him to succeed in the worst way, and have backed him with donations. He is a tremendous teacher of the game, but as a talent evaluator and being able to acquire talent I have seen more misses than hits, not home runs grant you, just hits. A school like Marshall can not afford to have one third of its roster not contiribute at all which is what has occurred over the last 5 years.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, backontrack

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 08:33:17 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • So ..... let me make sure I inderstand Correctly. B-ball suffers a horrible loss and “we know they will get better” and isn’t the lack of effort the same thing people skewered football for numerous times, calling for the dismissal of the entire stafff atvone point or another?
    Also when people are pissed we don’t get cnsidetrd for any postseason at -large bid to either tournament, remember this loss and it’s affect on RPI and other stat data that goes into determining invitations. Plus numerous recruiting mishaps are excused as welll?
    All I am Pointing out is the hypocrisy between the two sports exist. We should expect excellence and accountability from both. No one should get a pass because one coach takes time to chat with a bunch of people practice so they consistently get a pass until “ next year”.

When DD loses 75% of his games in a season with an unmotivated underperforming team, I’ll be advocating his head on the same shelf I want Doc’s head on.

I base my posts on what I see and believe. You won’t see me creating a new name and account so I can come on here and post silly sh!t without the burden of my past postings as you have so obviously done. Three posts under this new ID and every one trying to defend Doc by tearing down DD, that is hypocritical and I’m sure your old ID is already as well known for its hypocritical posts as this new ID is clearly going to be.

Your premise is as dishonest as your approach.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, parshall2marshall, Apollo, herdfan129

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not excusing our horrid rebounding effort, but this is the first loss where losing Terrence Thompson has hurt.  It's hard to lose a starter inside and not feel it.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it's really hard to put into words just how soft our bigs play.  can we please stop the alley-oop attempts in traffic?!  there's nobody on this team that's gonna go grab it & throw it down.  they're only interested in stuff they can kiss off the glass.

I think we found last night that Williams will throw it down.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 08:46:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now matter how we look at it, it is very concerning we are losing to Morehead St at this point in Dan' s tenure.  He is light years better than Herrion for sure but I don't think it is unreasonable for us to expect more from our program.  We've got to do a lot better.  No way we should be losing these games.

Agreed. But this is truly the youngest team for DD other than his first year. This is the first time his roster truly turned over during his tenure. I think last years team would have beat Morehead.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 08:51:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Something to think about. This system isn’t meant for rebounds either which might hurt us some because you don’t see as much up tempo transition like you do in the NBA. Look at Brad Stevens, Greg Pop or even Mike. Their teams often get out rebounded and still win. Capella gets his boards on D. They sacrifice offensive boards which usually gets the other teams number inflated. Last nights number is inexcusable but we aren’t trying to be a big physical in the paint team to get boards.

Offline MIA

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »
  • [Like]-1
  • [Dislike]1
  • First off I dont post under different accounts as I rarely post at all, so quit trying to deflect. second if I am Trying to tear him down why do I pour $$$$ into his program? As for losing 75% of his games better be careful as he has lost 52% of his games overall.
    I asking legit question after all these years where is that s program heading if we still loose games like Morehead or other OVC teams? I thought the objective is post season play?

Online whf

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 09:00:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What I saw lacking last night was not output or attitude; rather, unfortunately it was pure speed and physicality.  There, unfortunately, was a glaring difference in pure basketball "overall" talent.  And Morehead was very well coached by their young coach, prepared to beat Marshall. It mean something to them.

Because Elmore couldn't get his normal 3s, he also tried to do an awful lot that cost us turnovers and left his other team mates out of position many times.

Will this all get corrected?  IMHO some will, but the talent pool is very thin at MU right now.  Their game will improve with Danny's coaching, but their overall talent (leaping, being physical, playing with speed that they don't possess), I don't see that happening any time soon. 

Although it sounds stupid to some, I'd move C.J. to point, John to the shooting guard, Peneva to the shooting forward, Milan to a high post center, and put Janson Williams or Joni at the other forward.  Jared West showed he's not quite ready to play against such speed and talent yet.  A sub role seems better for him right now; so he can learn a bit by sight rather than by error.  IMHO Milan can't rebound from too far inside because his feet aren't mobile enough to do so, but he might be better at banging the O boards from further outside the circle.
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:03:57 AM by whf »

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, goherd14562

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 09:04:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I sure am glad the internet wasnt around when Hucks team lost to UC , Chatleston , not Cincinnati , that would have been uuuuuugly .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

The following users thanked this post: goherd73, wasbarryb, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 09:04:52 AM »

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 09:19:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Yeah but K Tyler had 40......a better shooter than anyone on this team

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 10:33:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • so being out rebounded is either a lack of effort or lack of talent or both? Have we ever been a good rebounding team since Dan’s arrival? Look I want him to succeed in the worst way, and have backed him with donations. He is a tremendous teacher of the game, but as a talent evaluator and being able to acquire talent I have seen more misses than hits, not home runs grant you, just hits. A school like Marshall can not afford to have one third of its roster not contiribute at all which is what has occurred over the last 5 years.

Look, I am unhappy as anyone with last nights performance. And this year kind of hurt because we got caught with a young thin and long inside game and Bennett not being eligible hurt bad. And I hate to talk about next year also. But we know we have 2 6'10 250 and 330 kids coming in that can play. But I just Hope Danny puts a lot more emphasis on inside toughness and rebounding going forward. Because that is the 2 things that have been our weakness and all that will hold a DD team back especially in the future. And I agree and have said Williams needs to play a lot along with Koljanin. Both showed flashes last night of what they could be. Koljanin in the first half mad some nice aggressive drives to the hole and also had a couple nice passes doing it. And Williams did go after a couple rebounds with aggressiveness. Milan should just give a few minutes for a breather and let these younger guys play and get the majority of play imo. Losing is one thing, but that game last night should have never been a loss. You have got to get a body on someone and block out and last night we never got a body on anyone. That part of the game has got to change. and i'm sure DD will be working on that.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 11:05:02 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • What I saw lacking last night was not output or attitude; rather, unfortunately it was pure speed and physicality.  There, unfortunately, was a glaring difference in pure basketball "overall" talent.  And Morehead was very well coached by their young coach, prepared to beat Marshall. It mean something to them.

Because Elmore couldn't get his normal 3s, he also tried to do an awful lot that cost us turnovers and left his other team mates out of position many times.

Will this all get corrected?  IMHO some will, but the talent pool is very thin at MU right now.  Their game will improve with Danny's coaching, but their overall talent (leaping, being physical, playing with speed that they don't possess), I don't see that happening any time soon. 

Although it sounds stupid to some, I'd move C.J. to point, John to the shooting guard, Peneva to the shooting forward, Milan to a high post center, and put Janson Williams or Joni at the other forward.  Jared West showed he's not quite ready to play against such speed and talent yet.  A sub role seems better for him right now; so he can learn a bit by sight rather than by error.  IMHO Milan can't rebound from too far inside because his feet aren't mobile enough to do so, but he might be better at banging the O boards from further outside the circle.

Danny has mentioned time and time again we do NOT have positions. With this offense we flow. Every player knows what every body does. We do NOT have a high post. As you see, we don't ever post up. That may change slightly when Iran becomes eligible.
    West is ready, IMO and has shown it with lock down defense and intensity.  Morehead played well, no doubt. I'm sure this team will be like all others that Danny has had. They get better as the season progresses. RPI at this point is not an issue. We will get only 1 bid in CUSA. The key is to win the tournament. I think you saw in our team last year, even though we came in seeded #6, we played for the championship. Obviously we all hope for a higher seed so we don't have to play 4 games in Frisco.
    As we also have been told that it will not be a shock to be up by 20 and be down a few minutes later and vice versa. That's the way we play.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2017, 11:09:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So ..... let me make sure I inderstand Correctly. B-ball suffers a horrible loss and “we know they will get better” and isn’t the lack of effort the same thing people skewered football for numerous times, calling for the dismissal of the entire stafff atvone point or another?
    Also when people are pissed we don’t get cnsidetrd for any postseason at -large bid to either tournament, remember this loss and it’s affect on RPI and other stat data that goes into determining invitations. Plus numerous recruiting mishaps are excused as welll?
    All I am Pointing out is the hypocrisy between the two sports exist. We should expect excellence and accountability from both. No one should get a pass because one coach takes time to chat with a bunch of people practice so they consistently get a pass until “ next year”.

I don't think its hypocrisy at all. Basketball does get better as the year goes by. Danny has proven that the 3 years he has been here. That is a fact. Football doesn't seem to get better as the year goes by. Are we any better right now than the Miami game? I would argue we were better against NC ST and UC than we have been lately. But that is JMO

The following users thanked this post: svherd, wasbarryb, The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess in all fairness.......the 71-72' top 10 Marshall team loss to Morehead St. that year also.

The following users thanked this post: goherd73

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess in all fairness.......the 71-72' top 10 Marshall team loss to Morehead St. that year also.

Morehead has had some really good teams thru the years. Probably more than we have had. But last night was not one of them. Matter of fact that was one of the worst morehead teams I have seen play.

Offline mutink

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2017, 12:42:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Then CJ better learn to handle the ball better.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2017, 01:57:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone said this offense isn't built for rebounding. That may be true. But, no way we should give up as many offensive rebounds as we did last night. DD said Peneva didn't get any help last night underneath when it came to rebounding. But, from what I've read on here and what I heard last night, it sounds like our guards let too much penetration happen leaving our big men either exposed or easy baskets. I also agree about us getting better as the season goes on. I was in Birmingham last year and saw us play some of the best basketball that team played all year. This team has the potential to be dangerous at that time. I think a top four finish is needed if we are going to win the conference tournament. I thought we would go 10-4 during the non-conference part of our schedule. I still hold to that. But, this was not one of the losses I was counting.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2017, 02:07:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually 15 ooc games counting the first two ex. And Concord wont count either on our record.

Offline overherd1

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2017, 03:10:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't think there is any other way to put it.  We should not lose that game last night.  I have waited almost 24 hours to post.  If we want to get to post season, these are the games we have to win.  I made a comment at half, that if we rebound we win.  We didn't rebound.  Very disappointing.
    Not that I will give up on this team..we have some positives.  Just have to keep working and understand rebounding is positioning and desire.  Learn and move on.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2017, 03:10:53 PM »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •   If we want to get to post season, these are the games we have to win. 

I must disagree.

If we want to get to post season, the only games that matter are the ones played in the tournament.

Don't have to like it, but you really should face it.

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2017, 04:07:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was expecting an L, just like I expected an L against EKU last year.  I think we will be alright in conference.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline herdman

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Agreed. But this is truly the youngest team for DD other than his first year. This is the first time his roster truly turned over during his tenure. I think last years team would have beat Morehead.

Morehead State doesn't have one senior on their roster. Their coach is in his first full season as head coach. He was an interim coach last year.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »