Author Topic: Bad loss  (Read 2100 times)

Offline MIA

Bad loss
« on: November 16, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]6
  • Bad loss - first win for Morehead - but “we are building it the right way”, “wait til next year”, “we are much better on defense”, - I find it interesting those who hold football accountable for their performance, don’t hold basketball accountable for their performance.
    Fire away -

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, herdfifteen

HerdFans.com

Bad loss
    « on: November 16, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »

Offline LUVTHATHERD

Re: Bad loss
    « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:31:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes and it won’t be the only one this year.  It happens.  Football and basketball are completely different. This team will improve, but there will be growing pains for sure.

The following users thanked this post: bigblankowsky, The E-Man

Offline MIA

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 09:39:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Correct they are different. Usually basketball is quicker to rebuild/ re-tool.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]3
  • We have 5 legitimate out of conference road games.  Looking at them objectively, I figured Morehead as probably one of the 2 best possibilities for a W.  So much for that.  Looks like Danny's putrid W-L record on the road continues.  30 year old Morehead coach from that national power, Alice Lloyd, apparently had his own set of "Danalytics", including how to play tough in the paint and REBOUND, which our coaches obviously don't believe in.  Oh, well, we'll be home next week to play another exempt event "toughie" and mighty Concord, so the green Kool-Aid will soon be flowing again!

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, backontrack

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 09:53:46 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know ! I had us going undefeated this year too !

Im going to go on record saying we are going to lose at least one , maybe two more games this year .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline coalherd

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 10:00:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know ! I had us going undefeated this year too !

Im going to go on record saying we are going to lose at least one , maybe two more games this year .

OK, Coach.  Now what do you predict for 2018, starting in January?  ;D

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 10:03:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!  WE ARE STILL GETTING BEAT BY MOREHEAD FREAKING STATE!!! 

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, svherd, ed swain, backontrack, miltonherdfan

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 10:48:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes that was a very bad loss and there is no way to sugarcoat it. I probably shouldn't even post right now until I cool off. That is 3 years in a row that I went to Morehead and been extremely disappointed all 3 years. There are 2 things this team has got to do if they want to be respectable. 1 is they need to learn how to rebound period. That was the ball game tonight. When you get beat by a smaller team than you, by a 50-27 margin, you have major problems. And 2 and it goes hand in hand, is we have got to get tougher inside. One thing IMO is Peneva, Williams and Koljanin need to get 90% of the minutes at the 4-5 spots. Williams and Koljanin have upside so just leave them in and let them play. Honestly, they need to do rebounding drills for at least half the practices for the next week or more. We can't get a rebound to save or lives. And it has nothing to do with the way we play. One trip down the floor, Morehead missed 5 shots and got the rebound every time until they scored. You can play this system and still rebound the ball. We are almost never in rebounding position because we stand and look and the opposing player goes in and just gets it.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, backontrack, miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 10:52:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And BTW Williams and Koljanin were the only bright spots tonight.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 10:58:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Rebounding comes down, essentially, to one key factor:  "EFFORT".  Until we start recruiting enough players with some physicality/toughness who are not afraid of contact or afraid to mix it up underneath, then this will be the result.  Yes, I know help  is on the way next year in that, and the size, departments.  Also, Penava had, per Coach's comments, No help tonight in rebounding, etc.  However, he has shown great improvement, and should be even better, and stronger, next season.  Now some other front line players, one or two, need to step it up, to supplement Penava's play.  If they do, then I see their playing time increasing significantly and Milan's dropping off.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, ed swain

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 11:10:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Rebounding comes down, essentially, to one key factor:  "EFFORT".  Until we start recruiting enough players with some physicality/toughness who are not afraid of contact or afraid to mix it up underneath, then this will be the result.  Yes, I know help  is on the way next year in that, and the size, departments.  Also, Penava had, per Coach's comments, No help tonight in rebounding, etc.  However, he has shown great improvement, and should be even better, and stronger, next season.  Now some other front line players, one or two, need to step it up, to supplement Penava's play.  If they do, then I see their playing time increasing significantly and Milan's dropping off.
    [/quote}

I realize next year should be much better. But I want to see improvement now. There is absolutely no excuse for what happened tonight. They started a lineup of 6'0"-6'0"-6'3"-6'5"-6'7" and totally destroyed us on the boards. We weren't playing a team much more physical and bigger than us, so that doesn't hold water. We simply don't seemed concerned about rebounding and that should be as important as any phase of the game. That single handidly beat us tonight. These guys have got to learn to work for position and get tougher going for the ball. Like someone says, it all comes down to effort and that is one area that we just don't seem to value. Personally I think Koljanin should start up front with Peneva and Williams should be the first off the bench along with Watson when he gets eligible. That would be my 1st 7.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 11:13:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And BTW Williams and Koljanin were the only bright spots tonight.

I wouldn't say that.  Peneva had a few screw ups but also several nice plays.

I do like Williams and Kolijanin.

we were missing the "athletic" ball tonight and rebounding.  I know we don't plan to be a strong rebounding team...but come on.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 11:13:00 PM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 11:27:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is no way you can win on a big stage if you dont rebound the ball. Im just being truthful and morehead is a bad team. All i want to see is improvement in rebounding and toughness inside. If we do those 2 things, we will be fine. If we dont improve those 2 things we can not be a very good team this year. Yes we are going to have games when we score a lot of points. But if you are weak in those 2 areas you cant be a consistant good team. Its just my opinion, but that should be the number 1 focus right now because it is so painfully obvious.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ed swain, herdfifteen, herdfan129

Online herd2win

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 11:40:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We lost to Morehead...where are the Danny Defenders...this is a low level loss...This is worse than any loss the football team has had this year...

The following users thanked this post: backontrack, miltonherdfan

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 02:14:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it's really hard to put into words just how soft our bigs play.  can we please stop the alley-oop attempts in traffic?!  there's nobody on this team that's gonna go grab it & throw it down.  they're only interested in stuff they can kiss off the glass.

Offline MUther

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 04:05:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We lost to Morehead...where are the Danny Defenders...this is a low level loss...This is worse than any loss the football team has had this year...

Agreed but unfortunately UT-Martin was better than any win the football team had this year.  Creates quite the dilemma.

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 05:25:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now matter how we look at it, it is very concerning we are losing to Morehead St at this point in Dan' s tenure.  He is light years better than Herrion for sure but I don't think it is unreasonable for us to expect more from our program.  We've got to do a lot better.  No way we should be losing these games.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

The following users thanked this post: backontrack, miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Online Scottyo614

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 05:29:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly if we’ve learned anything over Dans run we will lose some OOC games. Turn it on late and make a run. We knew size would be an issue this year. I’m not real worked up over a loss like this when the sad reality is making it to the dance is going on a run in March to win  the conference.

For those about football, we have to actually play and win a tough OOC to try and make it to that playoff. Two totally different ways to play the game.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, wasbarryb, herdfan129

Online mu79grad

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 06:23:01 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly if we’ve learned anything over Dans run we will lose some OOC games. Turn it on late and make a run. We knew size would be an issue this year. I’m not real worked up over a loss like this when the sad reality is making it to the dance is going on a run in March to win  the conference.

For those about football, we have to actually play and win a tough OOC to try and make it to that playoff. Two totally different ways to play the game.

But what I witnessed in Morehead last night was not about size but t was about heart.  I never thought I would see a Danny team being "out-hearted, out want-to" whatever you want to call it, but that is what happened last night.  There were numerous loose balls that if a MU player had dove for the ball, it might have made a difference concerning possession but our players stood around and watch.  That speaks to heart.  I was just disappointed with the overall effort and it's been a while since I could honestly say that about our basketball team.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 06:50:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Bad loss last night but doesn't change our goal for this season:

Win the CUSA tournament

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, herdfan129

Offline MIA

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 07:22:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]3
  • So ..... let me make sure I inderstand Correctly. B-ball suffers a horrible loss and “we know they will get better” and isn’t the lack of effort the same thing people skewered football for numerous times, calling for the dismissal of the entire stafff atvone point or another?
    Also when people are pissed we don’t get cnsidetrd for any postseason at -large bid to either tournament, remember this loss and it’s affect on RPI and other stat data that goes into determining invitations. Plus numerous recruiting mishaps are excused as welll?
    All I am Pointing out is the hypocrisy between the two sports exist. We should expect excellence and accountability from both. No one should get a pass because one coach takes time to chat with a bunch of people practice so they consistently get a pass until “ next year”.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, backontrack

Offline svherd

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 07:29:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We put way too much pressure on Elmore and our rebounding skills are atrocious. Gonna be a long year I'm afraid.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 07:29:34 AM »

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 07:34:00 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don’t understand the basketball vs football comments.  After all, we are Marshall, right?!?  It’s pretty simple I think...people follow the sports differently.  I follow basketball closer than football.  Some like Doc, some like Dan.  Some never gave Doc a chance, some have never given Dan a chance.  To me it comes down that I believe Doc has hit his ceiling here and Dan is still rising, maybe just not as quickly as we would like.  Yes, a bad loss. We played about as bad as we could and lost by 3.  Of Williams, Koljanin, or Bledsoe, someone needs to step up and be a presence in the paint for rebounding. Dan sees the issue and I have no doubt that he will address it.  But why must we have the same “outrage” after every sporting loss?  Give it a rest...Sports are supposed to be fun.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Apollo, herdfan129

Online Scottyo614

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 07:38:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Basketball is a marathon. Football is a sprint. Football you are in no position to make a playoff, basketball you have one tournament in March that can get you in.

As far as coaching hypocrisy, you saw a season long meltdown lack of effort. Even in our losses this year that’s one thing no one has criticized. However if Dan were to go say 9-20 with this team with last nights effort you’d probably hear the same things. Up until this point though, Dan has finished strong and people tend to forget how you start when you do well in conference.

Lastly on recruiting, basketball is an entirely different animal. Dan was smart to keep us out of the shoe game lottery. I don’t mind recruiting for system. That’s no diffeeent than what Mike Leach does. The difference is basketball isn’t talkin about how they are the top rated class. We on he board hype them up but you don’t see articles plastered all over about how great the class is.

Again this is a marathon. 30 games compared to 12. A tournament at the end compared to winning every game to make a championship game. It’s apples to oranges. Basketball will have an off night. See WVU game one as an oof moment. If they go under 15 wins might be time to talk, but I’ll say my expectations are limited without better bigs.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Herdmeister, herdfan129

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 07:41:09 AM »
  • [Like]-1
  • [Dislike]1
  • I think that Danny learned his lesson about European players. We are not going after them like we used to. Koljanin played a couple of years in JUCO so he is, at least, accustomed to the way they game is played here. Not seeing the game, I have no idea about the heart of the team. But, I do agree that when you get thrashed on the boards like we did last night, the effort is not there. Also, let me say that height doesn't always matter. One of the best rebounders I can remember for Marshall was Terrell Baines. I believe he was 6'6" or so. But, he had that nasty streak in him to get the rebounds. Also, Dennis Tinnon had that mean streak in him and he was 6'8". So, being 6'10" or taller doesn't mean you will always have a rebounding edge. It has been mentioned that our big guys have to play tougher and it showed last night. Also, I can't understand how a person can hit a 3 point shot at a good clip but cannot make free throws. That just boggles my mind. Also, next home game, watch the layup drills. More time is spent on trying to do fancy things with layups instead of going strong. I realize it is just drills but, I have heard, you play like you practice.

The following users thanked this post: bball33, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 07:41:09 AM »