Author Topic: Game thread?  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Herdalum83

Re: Game thread?
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thats on West. He should have made the layup or drawn the foul. He's just a true FR though.

I disagree. That pass there in a 2 on 1 is the right play. Should have been a dunk instead Paneva gets blocked because he's weak as a kitten. The kid has gotten so much better and in many respects he played a great game. 21 poonts, 10 rebounds and 6 blocked shots. But, while his skill has gotten better his toughnessand physicality still has a long way to go.

Gonna be a long year folks. In my opinion DD has next year to do something. If we don't make significant strides next year with Bennett and Cook in the fold it might be time to consider the DD project done.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I disagree. That pass there in a 2 on 1 is the right play. Should have been a dunk instead Paneva gets blocked because he's weak as a kitten. The kid has gotten so much better and in many respects he played a great game. 21 poonts, 10 rebounds and 6 blocked shots. But, while his skill has gotten better his toughnessand physicality still has a long way to go.

Gonna be a long year folks. In my opinion DD has next year to do something. If we don't make significant strides next year with Bennett and Cook in the fold it might be time to consider the DD project done.

Not for me. Marshall basketball has historically been mediocre at best. At least we are fun to watch and playing with local kids.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2017, 09:48:25 AM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]-1
  • DD project done ? 11-21 , 17-16 and 20-15 are his last three seasons which to me , shows improvement every season , making it to the conference championship game last year . Throw in the fact that so far , none of his players havent embarassed the university , I think hes doing mighty fine , tickled to death hes here .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, Apollo, QuickStrike, herdfan129

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2017, 09:55:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD project done ? 11-21 , 17-16 and 20-15 are his last three seasons which to me , shows improvement every season , making it to the conference championship game last year . Throw in the fact that so far , none of his players havent embarassed the university , I think hes doing mighty fine , tickled to death hes here .

I gave you a  +1 on that post.

Throw in the losses due to graduation and the unexpected transfer, this is truly a rebuilding year for him.

I know I'm about to sound like a Doc apologist, but next year is the real test. We should be very very good next year, and I'm far from giving up on this year. History is on DD's side. Every year he has started out slow and built a better end of the season result than most expected.

The following users thanked this post: Gaylen, herdfan129

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2017, 10:34:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I disagree. That pass there in a 2 on 1 is the right play. Should have been a dunk instead Paneva gets blocked because he's weak as a kitten. The kid has gotten so much better and in many respects he played a great game. 21 poonts, 10 rebounds and 6 blocked shots. But, while his skill has gotten better his toughnessand physicality still has a long way to go.

Oh please!!!!

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2017, 10:42:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD has improved every year and I think anyone will admit that we got caught without that 1 big that could make this team really go. That is why I said before the year ever started that next year would be the year we really make noise. Just look at Peneva and how he is playing now. Yes he is still a little weak, but GEEZEE, after 3 games he is avg something like 19 pts and 9 rebs a game. 21-10-6 last night. And how good do you think he will be next year? How good will Williams be next year and he is a lot like Peneva. How good will a year do for Koljanin? Then add Bennett and Cook. And we still haven't got Watson in there. I'm as disappointed as anyone about last night and we should have never lost that game. But this year we will probably take a step back from last year and then again maybe not once some of these kids get experience. I remember 2 years ago at Morehead was the worst game I had ever watched a Marshall basketball team play EVER!!!! And then they turned it around late in the year. This team is light years ahead of that team. Again I am mad as heck, but i'm going to look thru the trees and see the forrest.

The following users thanked this post: Apollo, herdfan129

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2017, 11:02:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh please!!!!

I didn't say it was done now, I said if next year when he should have every conceivable piece needed and we still do not get over the hump then maybe we need to talk anout it. We don't need to talk about it now is what I was saying. Next year if things turn out poorly the conversation is justified because next year there should be no reason for us not to make significant strides.. But this year everyone should have known this team was missing too much to not have it's struggles.
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:10:58 AM by Herdalum83 »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't say it was done now, I said if next year when he should have every conceivable piece needed and we still do not get over the hump then maybe we need to talk anout it. We don't need to talk about it now is what I was saying. Next year if things turn out poorly the conversation is justified because next year there should be no reason for us not to make significant strides.. But this year everyone should have known this team was missing too much to not have it's struggles.

What is over the hump? What if we go 25-5 and lose in the finals of CUSA tournament? Is that not getting over the hump? Should he then be fired for a 25-6 record? I'll guarantee I am as angry or more angry than any Marshall fan out there about last night. But i'm not angry at the big picture. Just that game. I know for a FACT DD will make this team better and better as the year goes on. And I also know that next year will be a tremendous year. I knew we had a big weakness with the set up of the inside game this year. I was hoping some miracle would happen and they would come out of the gate with a more physical game (although I knew it couldn't happen that quick).  You have got to look at the players and the class structure and understand what next year looks like. Remember I was the one that said Peneva was going to be a hell of a player while virtually everyone had wrote him of early last year and his freshman year. Look at where he has progressed to now, with this year and next year left. How good do you think he will be next year with another 20 lbs and another year under his belt? Williams and Koljanin will take huge steps from this year going into next year. Then you add Bennet and Cook. And Watson will help this team a bunch, giving you that 4th guard and he is the biggest of the bunch. The front line will look totally different next year SIZE, Strength and experience. But mark it down, Williams, Koljanin, Peneva will all look MUCH better by the end of this year. But i'm still pi$$ed about last night ;D
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:36:26 AM by herdorbust »

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Over the hump is into one of the two post season tourneys  that matter. 25-6 with a CUSA tourney championship appearance should get us at least an NIT bid, which would be over the hump. All I'm saying is with Paneva, Elmore, Burks and more experienced versions of guys like West and Williams we have no excuse not to be in one of the major post season tourneys next season when you add Bennett, Cook and some of the other pieces to the fold. If it doesn't happen next year, in year 5 with senior guards the questions some folks are asking of DD now will be justified. But, this year is a building year, and I think DD has earned for us to stow those questions away until after next season. But, after next year if we are watching while others are playing in the 2nd week of March then it is time to unpack those questions and ask them earnestly. That's all I was saying.

I know how tremendous next year should be. That's why I am saying if we fall short of a great year next year then it is fair to ask questions.
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:37:37 PM by Herdalum83 »

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, Flat Tire 2

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2017, 12:33:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Over the hump is into one of the two post season tournies that matter. 25-6 with a CUSA tourney championship appearance should get us at least an NIT bid, which would be over the hump. All I'm saying is with Paneva, Elmore, Burks and more experienced versions of guys like West and Williams we have no excuse not to be in one of the major post season tourneys next season when you add Bennett, Cook and some of the other pieces to the fold. If it doesn't happen next year, in year 5 with senior guards the questions some folks are asking of DD now will be justified. But, this year is a building year, and I think DD has earned for us to stow those questions away until after next season. But, after next year if we are watching while others are playing in the 2nd week of March then it is time to unpack those questions and ask them earnestly. That's all I was saying.

I know how tremendous next year should be. That's why I am saying if we fall short of a great year next year then it is fair to ask questions.

25-6 and a loss in the CUSA tourney would still get an NIT bid. And lets say if we went 25-6 and did get left out of the NIT? Are you saying we fire a coach that went 25-6? Just asking?

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 25-6 and a loss in the CUSA tourney would still get an NIT bid. And lets say if we went 25-6 and did get left out of the NIT? Are you saying we fire a coach that went 25-6? Just asking?

Absolutely not. If 25-6 doesn't get an NIT bid that's not on the coach or the team. That's on a crooked system. But, I don't beileve we'd get left out at 25-6. Hell 25-6 depending on who our wins are and who our losses are might get an at large into the big dance.

I also never said he should be fired if we don't get over that hump next year, I said it "might be time to consider" it.
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:41:56 PM by Herdalum83 »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well I can tell you one thing for sure. Marshall has no money period!!! If you think you are going to get a coach to come in here and Make 200K like DD is making, that even comes close to DD then you are wrong. And same goes for DOC. I am not a Doc fan, but there is no money...actually Marshall is becoming in a worse hole everyday. DD is making peanuts and is so underpayed it isn't even funny. Fortunately we have a guy that loves the school and what he is doing more than a pay check. Better be thankful we have a guy like DD and what he is building and willing to do it for peanuts compared to other D1 coaches. Because DD won't be around for ever and the athletic dept is in for some dreadful days in the future of Marshall sports IMO. We are not going to be going to another conference and the noose in every direction just keeps getting tighter around the neck of the athletic budget.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2017, 05:48:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Well I can tell you one thing for sure. Marshall has no money period!!! If you think you are going to get a coach to come in here and Make 200K like DD is making, that even comes close to DD then you are wrong. And same goes for DOC. I am not a Doc fan, but there is no money...actually Marshall is becoming in a worse hole everyday. DD is making peanuts and is so underpayed it isn't even funny. Fortunately we have a guy that loves the school and what he is doing more than a pay check. Better be thankful we have a guy like DD and what he is building and willing to do it for peanuts compared to other D1 coaches. Because DD won't be around for ever and the athletic dept is in for some dreadful days in the future of Marshall sports IMO. We are not going to be going to another conference and the noose in every direction just keeps getting tighter around the neck of the athletic budget.

Seriously, Danny knew the deal regarding his salary when he took the job. I like Danny, but he was a high school coach with no college experience. It would be crazy to pay a high school coach a mid major salary. He did work for his brother in the pros for a couple of years, but no another NBA team ever offered him a job.

MU could have spent more for the head basketball coaching job, but Hamrick decided to go with the less expensive option.

That said, I am rooting for Danny to win the conference or get an NIT bid.
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:51:27 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Seriously, Danny knew the deal regarding his salary when he took the job. I like Danny, but he was a high school coach with no college experience. It would be crazy to pay a high school coach a mid major salary. He did work for his brother in the pros for a couple of years, but no another NBA team ever offered him a job. Nothing wrong with his younger brother taking care of him.

MU could have spent more for the head basketball coaching job, but Hamrick decided to go with the less expensive option.

That said, I am rooting for Danny to win the conference or get an NIT bid.

Seriously, you are kidding right?

Just what do you think an assistant coach in the NBA makes? The guy is old enough to sit back and enjoy the life of a financially successful retiree, and he chooses to coach his dream job at the school he loves and you think he’s over paid? Give me a break. The guy is making a de facto contribution to Marshall every time he cashes his pay check.

The following users thanked this post: Apollo, herdfan129

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Seriously, you are kidding right?

Just what do you think an assistant coach in the NBA makes? The guy is old enough to sit back and enjoy the life of a financially successful retiree, and he chooses to coach his dream job at the school he loves and you think he’s over paid? Give me a break. The guy is making a de facto contribution to Marshall every time he cashes his pay check.

So, do you know what Danny was making as an assistant in the NBA? Did any of the other NBA teams ever offer Danny a job? Would have Danny ever been an assistant coach in the NBA, unless his younger brother was in the position to offer him a job? Nothing wrong taking care of your family. I have done it for my family members.

By the way, has any other college looked at Danny as a possible head coaching job since he has been at MU? Was Danny ever in the mix for a head college coaching job before he came to MU?
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:19:14 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2017, 06:45:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So, do you know what Danny was making as an assistant in the NBA? Did any of the other NBA teams ever offer Danny a job? Would have Danny ever been an assistant coach in the NBA, unless his younger brother was in the position to offer him a job? Nothing wrong taking care of your family. I have done it for my family members.

By the way, has any other college looked at Danny as a possible head coaching job since he has been at MU? Was Danny ever in the mix for a head college coaching job before he came to MU?

First off I doubt if anyone else has offered. Mainly because he is 71 years old. And I will tell you this, I have been going to practices for many many years. And there is no one that teaches the game and developes players like Danny. And yes I watched Billy Donovan also. Sometimes you are in the right place and sometimes you aren't. Danny was content on being a High School coach at Myrtle Beach and was very successful at it. He never wanted any other job except the Marshall job. When he says that, he is not blowing smoke. And yes Mike gave him the chance to be an assistant. But do you think Mike would have gave his brother a job if it would have hurt his own chances at being successful? Danny is tremendous at developing talent and that is what he did for Mike and many of the players credit Danny with how they turned out. I was very skeptical when he was hired because I was wanting Mike bigtime. But after watching him teach and how his teams always get better and better, I am thrilled DD got the job. I really do think it did take a little time getting the recruiting thing figured out not having any contacts and Duhan also not having contacts. But that is really starting to change and things are looking very bright going forward. If he can get to a CUSA final with a previous walkon, and the rest in the 6'3" to 6'5" range, I am very happy about where we are headed with a lot of young more talented 6'7" to 6'10" players that are young or hasn't even dressed yet.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, Apollo, The E-Man, herdfan129

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  "I really do think it did take a little time getting the recruiting thing figured out not having any contacts and Duhan also not having contacts. But that is really starting to change and things are looking very bright going forward. If he can get to a CUSA final with a previous walkon, and the rest in the 6'3" to 6'5" range, I am very happy about where we are headed with a lot of young more talented 6'7" to 6'10" players that are young or hasn't even dressed yet."

Agreed! It has been a big learning curve for Danny. His lack of recruiting experience was my biggest concern with hiring him. I hope he has it figured out and he appears to be a fast learner. CUSA is a very weak league and if he can get the players, we will win!!!

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdman

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2017, 07:41:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 25-6 and a loss in the CUSA tourney would still get an NIT bid. And lets say if we went 25-6 and did get left out of the NIT? Are you saying we fire a coach that went 25-6? Just asking?

Ask Bob Zuffelato, not 25 and 6 but 20 and 8. Here was his record at Marshall

1979-1980                                   17   12   .586   -5.91   -6.10            
    1980-81   Marshall   Southern   28   18   10   .643   -2.15   -3.19            
    1981-82   Marshall   Southern   27   16   11   .593   -0.87   -2.67            
    1982-83   Marshall   Southern   28   20   8   .714   2.23   -3.58   

Offline herdman

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2017, 07:44:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First off I doubt if anyone else has offered. Mainly because he is 71 years old. And I will tell you this, I have been going to practices for many many years. And there is no one that teaches the game and developes players like Danny. And yes I watched Billy Donovan also. Sometimes you are in the right place and sometimes you aren't. Danny was content on being a High School coach at Myrtle Beach and was very successful at it. He never wanted any other job except the Marshall job. When he says that, he is not blowing smoke. And yes Mike gave him the chance to be an assistant. But do you think Mike would have gave his brother a job if it would have hurt his own chances at being successful? Danny is tremendous at developing talent and that is what he did for Mike and many of the players credit Danny with how they turned out. I was very skeptical when he was hired because I was wanting Mike bigtime. But after watching him teach and how his teams always get better and better, I am thrilled DD got the job. I really do think it did take a little time getting the recruiting thing figured out not having any contacts and Duhan also not having contacts. But that is really starting to change and things are looking very bright going forward. If he can get to a CUSA final with a previous walkon, and the rest in the 6'3" to 6'5" range, I am very happy about where we are headed with a lot of young more talented 6'7" to 6'10" players that are young or hasn't even dressed yet.

Danny's problem is he is not bringing enough talent in. He might be able to develop what he has, but he needs more talent. My biggest disappointment has been his recruiting.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2017, 08:37:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny's problem is he is not bringing enough talent in. He might be able to develop what he has, but he needs more talent. My biggest disappointment has been his recruiting.

Obviously you dont live around here and see the talent the last couple years signed

Offline coalherd

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2017, 08:42:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny's problem is he is not bringing enough talent in. He might be able to develop what he has, but he needs more talent. My biggest disappointment has been his recruiting.

Exactly, herdman.  Still not entirely sold on DD's recruiting as a whole.  Taylor was recruited by the prior staff as was Loop.  Kelly was a one year wonder and give thanks to DD or whomever among his assistants, Cline?, got him on board.  Certainly Kudos for Elmore and Browning. Many of the others fall into the project category, often needing 2, 3 years or so to get to the point o/f being a steady, regular ever game contributor.  See the Thienemans, Williams. Williams, Penava, Milan, George, type of players.  Some slow to develop, non polished or complete players who can contribute right away.  I get it that DD does a lot of development and teaching, but he needs to recruit more players who are ready to contribute RIGHT AWAY, like Kelly did, and Elmore currently is doing.  We cannot have a team full of players who are developing and growing, some VERY slowly, and be very successful consistently at the top of CUSA, without having a few more experienced and "polished" players, especially in the front court.  The result, unfortunately, will be too many nights like last night at Morehead, a not so talented team slated to be a bottom feeder in the OVC this year.  But, hopefully, some of our younger guys will show improvement, perhaps significant improvement, as we progress through the OOC slate.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline herdman

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obviously you dont live around here and see the talent the last couple years signed

Ok, like who? I like the West kid. Good get. I know the big Bennett kid is sitting out. Let's see if ever plays at MU. And, the Cook kid who is big but still unproven.

So, what exactly am I missing that would stand out as tremendously solid recruiting classes?  I know Elmore is obviously the pinnacle but that goes back a bit. So who else? I don't see stellar recruiting.
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:49:00 PM by herdman »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »