Author Topic: Game thread?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline The E-Man

Re: Game thread?
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 09:04:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just over heard someone from Morehead States press box yelling out to DD to go back to the coaches box and shut up..WOW!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 09:04:58 PM »

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 09:07:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can't blame this on the refs. We had plenty of opportunities and didn't make the most of them. This is a very average basketball team, just like I thought it would be. We are looking at a .500 type season. Just stick with them though because what we are missing should be here next year.

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I had this as a win but I guess I was wrong . Elmore had an off game but we cant rely on just him all season.  Peneva is going to have to get some toughness about him , a trait European players are known for not having . Our lack of an inside game is going to haunt us all year long.

Our first loss of the season but I think we should/could have won , easily .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 09:08:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah this one sucks because we should have won. I have faith in DD and this is a young team.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 09:12:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cook and Bennett will be huge upgrades inside. It sucks that it won't be until next year.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herdorbust

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 09:12:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • that hurt.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 09:12:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Xavier beat Morehead - 101-49  ???

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 09:12:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • well damn.
    at least the pressure of going unbeaten is off.

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 09:12:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Feels like we'll never get over the hump.

The following users thanked this post: goherd14562

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Feels like we'll never get over the hump.

I feel better about the BB future than I do football right now.

Offline Apollo

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 09:15:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Elmore off, CJ off, homer refs, no presence inside, no rebounding and still a shot to win. You won't see nights like that out of both CJ and Jon on the same night very often but still should have had this. Have to have more production from the bench.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 09:19:41 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Shouldn’t have lost this one.  I love coach and the team, but this one is tough.  Poor interior defense and too many turnovers.  I just want to see Penava dunk the basketball once.  He’s improved tremendously...just needs to get tougher. We will get better, but we can’t lose to Morehead. Thankful it’s a long season.
    « Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:22:08 PM by thunderingon »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DC01HERD, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 09:19:41 PM »

Offline Apollo

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just over heard someone from Morehead States press box yelling out to DD to go back to the coaches box and shut up..WOW!
    I heard that too. Most unprofessional announcer I've ever heard. It was the "color guy" not the pxp guy.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline goherd14562

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 09:24:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I heard that too. Most unprofessional announcer I've ever heard. It was the "color guy" not the pxp guy.
    Yeah, I think it was the color guy too. That was awful

Online CoachMaclid

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 09:30:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It was the color commentator.

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 09:32:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We're not going to win many games with our leaders having this many turnovers and not making free throws. Morehead has a double edge over us in the rebounding dept.

We only had 11 TOs as a team (6 from Elmore in what may have been one of the worst games he's played here). But, the problem was we couldn't throw it in the ocean tonight and we we got killed on the boards. We got 22 stops that they got second chances on, compared to 5. Can't win when you get hammered on the boards like that unless you're shooting lights out and we didn't shoot lights out.

Another big play was when we were down 3 very late in the game, West got a steal and made a nice pass to a trailing Paneva and Paneva got the HELL blocked out of him. That was the ball game right there. We were forced to foul and they went up 5 and there just wasn't enough time to make up 2 possessions.
    « Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:34:39 PM by Herdalum83 »

Offline DallasGreen

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Practice Squad
    • Member Since 3/24/2014
    « Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 09:33:07 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll always be in Danny's corner but anyone who thinks this team is equipped for major college basketball is in for a serious letdown.
    5 Offensive boards is horrific and for a team that is supposed to be quick, our ball movement and trapping on D is a big disappointment.

Gotta be a couple of football players who would like to come over in the second semester and provide some toughness underneath.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • 50-23, or was it 27, rebounding advantage for MSU!!  PATHETIC!!

Why in the hell should Penava even try 1 3 point shot when he can't make free throws?  Game could have been won at the line if he shot better than 50 per cent.  Needs to spend practice time shooting free throws, NOT 3 pointers.

Are we going to redshirt George?  Don't believe he ever got in, did he?

We have some very limited front court or "big" guard talent, IMO.  Bledsoe, Koljanin, Thienemann, Williams, are at best spot or role players right now.  Its going to be a LONG season if can't even get half the production out of them, pts, boards, D, etc., that we got from Ryan Taylor last year.

Not only Penava, but Milan, at 6'9", 250+, got at least one "bunny" lay-up blocked tonight.  Our bigs have NO HOPS, lack physicality, etc.  Unless that changes as season progresses, we are going to get hammered inside in a lot of games.

The "next year" chant is getting old, no matter what damn sport we're talking about!!!

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, The E-Man, QuickStrike, goherd14562

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, I think it was the color guy too. That was awful

Doesn't surprise me at all. Several years back when Herrion was here we played them at their place and I witnessed their tv camera guy leaning on the basketball post throwing his weight into it shaking the backboard as our guys shot free throws in overtime. And of course we ended up losing that game.

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 10:53:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 50-23, or was it 27, rebounding advantage for MSU!!  PATHETIC!!

Why in the hell should Penava even try 1 3 point shot when he can't make free throws?  Game could have been won at the line if he shot better than 50 per cent.  Needs to spend practice time shooting free throws, NOT 3 pointers.

Are we going to redshirt George?  Don't believe he ever got in, did he?

We have some very limited front court or "big" guard talent, IMO.  Bledsoe, Koljanin, Thienemann, Williams, are at best spot or role players right now.  Its going to be a LONG season if can't even get half the production out of them, pts, boards, D, etc., that we got from Ryan Taylor last year.

Not only Penava, but Milan, at 6'9", 250+, got at least one "bunny" lay-up blocked tonight.  Our bigs have NO HOPS, lack physicality, etc.  Unless that changes as season progresses, we are going to get hammered inside in a lot of games.

The "next year" chant is getting old, no matter what damn sport we're talking about!!!

You do realize Peneva was 4-5 from three going into tonight and went 2-4 tonight?   

I agree on FT. We missed too many FT and easy shots our offense didn’t move very well it seemed.  Officiating in the second half was horrible especially seeing in person but when you are out rebounded by that many you don’t deserve to win.  We really need a big and that is coming.  Tweak the offens for them and it will be good.  Morehead’s tallest player was 6-7.  We played too soft. 

This team will get better as the season goes along and should be fun.  I may never go to Morehead game there again.  I can’t remember the last time I saw a Herd victory there.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust, herdfan129

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 11:09:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the color guy did that , Id get his ass in trouble somehow.  Im sure there is some kind of "rules" they have to abide by , turn his butt in.  I dont care what team he was for , be professional .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 11:30:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the color guy did that , Id get his ass in trouble somehow.  Im sure there is some kind of "rules" they have to abide by , turn his butt in.  I dont care what team he was for , be professional .

It's Morehead State. Come to expect it from them. They're about as bush league as they come. Really surprised we still make that trip down there every other year. If we are wanting to play a close game every other year with someone why not schedule a Miami Ohio, Northern Kentucky etc?

The following users thanked this post: goherd14562

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 11:30:37 PM »

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2017, 07:17:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's Morehead State. Come to expect it from them. They're about as bush league as they come. Really surprised we still make that trip down there every other year. If we are wanting to play a close game every other year with someone why not schedule a Miami Ohio, Northern Kentucky etc?

Nice history with Morehead.  No need to end playing them, but really......no excuse at this point in DD not being able to beat them.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2017, 07:29:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First, let me say I was not able to go to the game. So, what I am typing is going to be what I heard Steve and Charlie saying on the radio. At the beginning of the year, I told a few people that Peneva and Milan need to get a mean streak in them or we would not be able to handle the underneath play. So far, I have not seen that. Even Charlie Hagley on the broadcast last night said that Peneva was playing soft. I heard more than once that a player from Morehead took a rebound away from him. That can't happen at home or on the road. Illinois is going to be tough. They are very physical and, from what I have seen in three games, our team cannot handle physical play. I have not lost faith in this team and will be there at the next home game against NC Central. But, we need to get tough physically and it needs to start quickly if there is going to be any success this year.

The following users thanked this post: Apollo

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2017, 08:58:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We only had 11 TOs as a team (6 from Elmore in what may have been one of the worst games he's played here). But, the problem was we couldn't throw it in the ocean tonight and we we got killed on the boards. We got 22 stops that they got second chances on, compared to 5. Can't win when you get hammered on the boards like that unless you're shooting lights out and we didn't shoot lights out.

Another big play was when we were down 3 very late in the game, West got a steal and made a nice pass to a trailing Paneva and Paneva got the HELL blocked out of him. That was the ball game right there. We were forced to foul and they went up 5 and there just wasn't enough time to make up 2 possessions.

Thats on West. He should have made the layup or drawn the foul. He's just a true FR though.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2017, 08:58:20 AM »