Author Topic: Worth a watch  (Read 781 times)

Online banker

Worth a watch
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:54:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was,just watching old highlight videos by Dunk and came across the 2014 game against USM.  If you want to see the real difference in our offense now, just watch this video.  To me it is the number one example of Cato being Cato.  It's not just his accuracy and field vision, but his astonishing ability to take lemons and make a 5 course meal out of it.  Keep in mind that we are running the exact same plays that we run now.

https://youtu.be/yR2XfZsqt1o

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan

HerdFans.com

Worth a watch
    « on: November 15, 2017, 10:54:14 PM »

Online HoPPy785

Re: Worth a watch
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:33:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I also notice much better run blocking and receivers getting open. Cato wasn't the fastest guy, but man could he squirm out of some tough spots to extend a play. Wish we could find another Cato. Aside from the obvious takeaway here that Cato was awesome, my second thought is how much this offense needs a mobile QB running it. If Legg won't change the offense to fit his QBs abilities, then I have no idea why we ever consider any pro style QB recruits. It should just be a hard no 24/7 on any QB recruit that can't scramble and keep the ball when needed.

The following users thanked this post: gochneaur645

Online banker

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:54:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Run blocking is made much easier when you fear the pass and have to be aware of the QB as a ball carrier.  Cato threw a lot of intermediate passes, which keeps the safeties back and the LBers dropped.  Chase those short and long, not so much in the 10-15 yard range.   That's why we only have one receiver averaging over 11 yards per catch.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, The E-Man

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 12:25:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That was a special Herd team. I miss our white on white beautiful jersey.

The following users thanked this post: Big City

Online herdfifteen

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:04:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I also notice much better run blocking and receivers getting open. Cato wasn't the fastest guy, but man could he squirm out of some tough spots to extend a play. Wish we could find another Cato. Aside from the obvious takeaway here that Cato was awesome, my second thought is how much this offense needs a mobile QB running it. If Legg won't change the offense to fit his QBs abilities, then I have no idea why we ever consider any pro style QB recruits. It should just be a hard no 24/7 on any QB recruit that can't scramble and keep the ball when needed.
    Cato kept the chains moving with his ability to scramble on broken plays dozens of times in critical situations. He was especially effective in the red zone, and doing so opened up our passing game. I feel our current receivers are the best group we've had in several years, we could be lethal offensively with a mobile QB and creative play calling.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline goherd1994

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 09:16:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • night and day.... such a difference a dual threat qb makes

Offline MarshallManiac

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I mean the big difference was obviously Cato. He had the ability to take the package that was given to him by the OC and put us in the best play. Very simply, if we don't have a QB that can also serve as the Offensive Coordinator on the field, we're not going to be good because Bill Legg rarely puts his players in a good play.

Maybe Rakeem needs a job? Maybe he can be the new OC?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Big City

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 09:45:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This was the game Miss Southern kept running onside kicks. Im just going to bite my tongue.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline Big City

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WOW Cato.. WOW WOW WOW
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline Apollo

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 10:17:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WOW Cato.. WOW WOW WOW
    Don't like Cato?

The following users thanked this post: Big City

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 10:19:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate to admit after watching him lay a serious egg at OU (was he a freshman?) I was ready for AJ Graham to take over and not look back. Cato developed into one of my favorite players of all time.  This is what gives me hope Chase may still have a lights-out season in him. Saw the same thing with Bernie Morris.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 10:21:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate to admit after watching him lay a serious egg at OU (was he a freshman?) I was ready for AJ Graham to take over and not look back. Cato developed into one of my favorite players of all time.  This is what gives me hope Chase may still have a lights-out season in him. Saw the same thing with Bernie Morris.

Cato was great...but he laid a few eggs.  the freshman OU game and he also blew another OU game with late pics, wku in 2014 is on him, doc and legg.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 10:21:54 AM »

Offline Big City

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't like Cato?

Several people said “you’ll miss him when he’s gone” I thought to myself maybe but probably not. Man was I wrong. He was excitement himself.

Same with Deandre Reaves but I knew I’d miss him. Electric.
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Apollo, goherd14562

Online svherd

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The man put the team on his back for the winning drive in the game against La Tech for our only CUSA title. Nuff said.

Chase has digressed.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Apollo, goherd14562

Offline goherd14562

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 10:53:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cato was one of the best for sure

Online 2xBison

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 10:57:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The man put the team on his back for the winning drive in the game against La Tech for our only CUSA title. Nuff said.

Chase has digressed.

not going to argue Chase vs Cato for sure. 

are you referring to the cusa title game the game after he blew the chance at a special season and access bowl?  gave us the chance for a MAC team or .500 P5

The Cato years were great but underachieving like every Doc year.  It's just worse without him.  Don't forget 2013 egg vs Rice for championship.  the Cato years should have been more.  thanks Doc
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, The E-Man

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 10:57:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cato would have Herd undefeated right now.  Cato made plays when they weren't there.  A great great player!!

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, goherd14562

Online 2xBison

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cato would have Herd undefeated right now.  Cato made plays when they weren't there.  A great great player!!

history proves otherwise. 
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Online overherd1

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That was a good team.  Cato was good.  I remember his ability to run really improved by his senior season.  We also had several very good defensive players.  Fun to watch for sure.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, The E-Man

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 11:11:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Woulda, coulda, shoulda......but, AJ Graham would have been a good QB if he would have focused on football and avoided injury.

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 11:25:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wondering if Gaines couldn't learn to do some of that stuff.

Hit in the mouf 14-0 to start ? No problem for Cato and the 2014 Herd.

p2m
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 11:54:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wondering if Gaines couldn't learn to do some of that stuff.

Hit in the mouf 14-0 to start ? No problem for Cato and the 2014 Herd.

p2m

Probably won't happen, buy something in my gut says Green starts next year and Litton transfers out.
    « Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:00:35 PM by HoPPy785 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 11:54:23 AM »

Online svherd

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • not going to argue Chase vs Cato for sure. 

are you referring to the cusa title game the game after he blew the chance at a special season and access bowl?  gave us the chance for a MAC team or .500 P5

The Cato years were great but underachieving like every Doc year.  It's just worse without him.  Don't forget 2013 egg vs Rice for championship.  the Cato years should have been more.  thanks Doc

No argument here on those points. Not sure if any QB in our history hasn't blown a game or three. Chase just hasn't improved. Whether it's his own doing or lack of coaching, not sure. I tend to think its a bit of both. He should be more polished for a three year starter.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Echo 5

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1.  I'm with Apollo regarding Cato...Of course I knew he was really good, but I just didn't fully realize what we had with him on the field until he was gone.
    2.  Didn't look like Devin Johnson was playing in that game...can't overstate his impact on the Offense back then either.  Add him to the mix and it just wasn't fair to any opposing team in CUSA
    3.  I really miss the names on the jerseys watching this video.  Just a couple years back and I was struggling to remember the name/number combos for a lot of those guys.

Thanks for digging this back up, Banker.  That was fun to watch.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
    i have always said the difference between an average coach and a great coach is the ability to adapt their scheme to their players strengths. Obviously at Alabama, Ohio State etc they do not have to do it that way. However at our level it is a necessity. Which in my opinion is why Legg needs shown the door.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »