Author Topic: Where were you the night of Nov 14, 1970?  (Read 1178 times)

Online TeaysValleyThunder

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Practice Squad
  • Member Since 02/2015
Re: Where were you the night of Nov 14, 1970?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 12:24:27 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was a senior in high school. Was at my girlfriend's house with another couple when we heard the news on the TV.

One of the players was from my high school, the AD's daughter was a friend and the couple that taught my Sunday school class were on the flight.

My parents had thought about going to the game on the flight, but Dad decided he should go pick up a speaker the dental society had flying in.

My father was the team dentist and several of the boosters were patients. He spent two weeks at the armory helping identify people. Said he had nightmares for years.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 12:24:27 AM »

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 03:34:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I rememeber after Chad hit LV for a TD in the first MCB against Ole Miss, in a nip-and-tuck game, for some reason I thought about the people in the crash, how pleased they are that Marshall Football had not only carried on, but had also hit the big time. I got very emotional.

p2m
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline pdunn

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 03:42:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was about five and a half.  My mother was doing some kind of craft project for Christmas or Thanksgiving, and was letting me "help" in the living room.  I can remember the crawl coming across the TV, it was The Newlywed Game  that was on.  I was a precocious kid, I loved to watch the news even at that age, and I knew what a plane crash was, that is was a very bad thing, but I was not old enough to really grasp how terrible it really was.  I remember my mom and dad turning over to WSAZ and watching Bos Johnson.  It is one of the first things that happened to me in my life, though, that I have a very clear memory of, I can remember it like it was yesterday.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline diamante

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 05:05:26 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was 16 and living in Kenova. I followed the Kenova fire department truck out to the crash site and ended up helping there all night. I’ll never forget the things I saw there but I wish I could. Terribly sad!

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, The E-Man

Offline MUPE84

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 06:39:14 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was 10 years old at the time.  As I recall we were sitting in front of the tv probably watching the Newlywed Game.

Offline The Big Dawg

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 07:21:53 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • In my towers dorm room watching tv when the news flash came on.  Then the pay phone outside our room began to ring. 

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 07:44:34 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]-1
  • D Team little league football banquet at Ceredo War Memorial.  We had all gotten our little trophies when a shaken man came on the stage and said," we don't know what happened but apparently the Marshall football team's plane has crashed.  Let's say a prayer then all go home and watch the news." We were just a few miles from the crash. I recall a lot of emergency vehicles as I left, but that could be a false memory.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was a student at MU at the time of the crash. I was going out the door to the Frat house to meet up with my five frat brothers who were on the plane. A family member stopped me and told me about the crash, the next couple of weeks were tough attending so many funerals.

What do you say to the parents of a player or to a friend who lost a parent or both parents? A very hard time.
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:53:38 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, The E-Man

Offline morpheus

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • The plane came down about a mile from my house in Kenova.  I was an 11 year old kid watching TV with my parents when there was a loud explosion and the house shook with all the windows rattling.  We ran outside because we thought part of the Ashland Oil refinery had blown up.  You could smell the jet fuel burning on the blowing wind.  Heard the fire trucks, police and ambulances coming but instead of heading towards Catlettsburg they turned toward the airport which was behind us.  When we turned to look, the sky was glowing orange from the fire.  Still didn't know it was the team plane until updates started to come across the TV screen about 15 minutes later.   I can still remember everything about that night as if it was yesterday.  Afterwards I remember all the pictures of everyone that was lost in the crash and all the schedules of funerals running on the news and in the papers.  It is an experience that myself and all of the others affected by the crash will carry with them for the rest of their lives.  I'm glad the Herd community embraces this event now.  I'm sure it has helped with the healing process for many.
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:12:57 AM by morpheus »

The following users thanked this post: marcbuff, The E-Man

Offline LUVTHATHERD

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • These are amazing stories.  Thank you Herd Faithful for sharing. I was a year old and don’t remember that day.  My dad started taking me to games when I was a little girl.  I remember a lot of losses in those days, but what was to come later was just inspiring.  I have so many amazing memories from Marshall games and now I attend with my sons.  Life truly comes full circle.  I miss living in Huntington.  Home is where the Herd is....always.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »