Author Topic: Rugged Marshall homestretch begins with FIU  (Read 1026 times)

Online biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
Rugged Marshall homestretch begins with FIU
« on: October 23, 2017, 05:26:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Of Marshall’s final five opponents, Florida International is the only one who didn’t win over the weekend — and that’s only because the Panthers had the week off.

That points to the theme of the Thundering Herd’s homestretch. All five teams have a winning record, all five remain contenders in their division in Conference USA, and all five are on the inside track for bowl eligibility.

Their combined overall record is 22-11, their league record 12-5. By contrast, Marshall’s three C-USA victims are 6-17, 3-9 (6-14, 3-6 when their losses to the Herd are removed).

The stakes are going up, up, up.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/marshall_university/rugged-marshall-homestretch-begins-with-fiu/article_c4a7906e-acba-5a98-8a56-5464d8c0e291.html

HerdFans.com

Rugged Marshall homestretch begins with FIU
    « on: October 23, 2017, 05:26:37 AM »

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, morpheus, Apollo, The E-Man, MicDrass1, herdorbust

Offline herdorbust

Re: Rugged Marshall homestretch begins with FIU
    « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 12:06:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Rugged? Lolol

It's CUSA...........we should destroy these clown teams

That's what I was thinking. FIU rugged? How can anyone put those 2 words together?

Offline marcbuff

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 01:24:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • agree guys but you have to admit these last games are tougher than the previous ones. I predicted 8 to 10 wins last summer. I think I will be right.  :)

Online MUonium

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll parrot what's already been said, we're getting better, a fuller team, bit by bit.  no reason to think anybody in the upper half of cusa aren't doing the same.  i agree, every single team left on our schedule is a legitimate threat to derail the east crown for us

Offline whf

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 02:35:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • These upcoming teams have many of their wins against the same teams we beat, or even worse teams.  I watched, or tried to watch, the UAB / Charlotte game; worse than two high schools playing each other. I've seen Rice and UTSA and UTEP, and UNT (very bad defense, very bad); none of these teams are a bit better than the teams we've beat in conference; probably worse. The C-USA west is a real problem right now, no good teams that I've seen.  It's one thing when they play each other, but then look at that vaunted UNT team when they played FAU; made them look like the Patriots from the Boston.

I can't understand why we think folks with like records against basically the same competition are that much better than us.  With the exception of the FAU offense (there defense isn't very good right now), we are the high standard in this league.  If we play like we can, we win it all.  If we don't we've made some big mistakes along the way.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 02:37:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • These upcoming teams have many of their wins against the same teams we beat, or even worse teams.  I watched, or tried to watch, the UAB / Charlotte game; worse than two high schools playing each other. I've seen Rice and UTSA and UTEP, and UNT (very bad defense, very bad); none of these teams are a bit better than the teams we've beat in conference; probably worse. The C-USA west is a real problem right now, no good teams that I've seen.  It's one thing when they play each other, but then look at that vaunted UNT team when they played FAU; made them look like the Patriots from the Boston.

I can't understand why we think folks with like records against basically the same competition are that much better than us.  With the exception of the FAU offense (there defense isn't very good right now), we are the high standard in this league.  If we play like we can, we win it all.  If we don't we've made some big mistakes along the way.

+1

Offline Big City

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 02:46:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • We laugh at the “rugged” part but from last season....

FIU beat Marshall down in Miami. New season, new coach new mentality.
    Marshall struggled to beat FAU in the Joan to make 1 of the 3 wins. New coach and apparent dynamic offense
    WKU- that makes me want to vomit, still. You cant put lipstick on a pig.
    UTSA- didn’t play them last season but need I remind anyone on here of the record of playing in Texas. God bless Texas.
    Southern Miss- a respectful loss I guess 24-14 down south- still a loss is a loss.

No doubt this Marshall team will get tested. I think they are talented enough to win out but lets start with FIU first and give them some pay back from last season. Kick their ass!

This “rugged” stretch should be labeled the “payback” stretch. GO HERD!
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 11:46:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • That's not the point. The point is everyone is talking about getting votes in the top 25 and some even think we should be in the top 25 ahead of USF and UCF ???. But then they say how the rugged and tough part of the schedule is coming up? If you are a top 25 team or even close, then no team in this weak conference should even come close to beating you. This is a glorified 1AA conference. Either we are a top 25-35 team or we aren't. Lose one game in this conference and the voters won't give you a second look the rest of the year.

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

Online biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 09:54:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looking back on this piece now maybe Smock was referring to the remaining games being rugged for Legg, Doc and staff. How can he say every game is a championship game when there seemed to be no preparation, motivation or "strategeration". The lack of adjustments and creativity is mind numbing.

As Marshall coach Doc Holliday says every week, “Every game is a championship game.” If the Herd wins its division, it will have earned it.

FAU and WKU will be no easy task. The HERD better be prepared.
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:56:03 AM by biggreenarms »

Offline FIU_Panther_Fan

• Rookie
    « Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 07:55:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]5
  • Rugged? Lolol

It's CUSA...........we should destroy these clown teams

LOL

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 08:09:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LOL

I’m getting trolled on a Marshall board?

Ban this clown

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 08:09:42 PM »