Author Topic: Redd: Marshall thinks outside the cable box for broadcasts  (Read 2172 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
Redd: Marshall thinks outside the cable box for broadcasts
« on: September 24, 2017, 08:40:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    “When I saw we weren’t going to get the exposure and the revenue we’d been getting for years and years, I said we’ve got to figure out a way to do this ourselves,” he said.

There will be plenty of ways to watch Marshall sports in the future, just not always in the traditional manner. Call it thinking outside the cable box.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports-columnist/20170923/derek-redd-marshall-thinks-outside-the-cable-box-for-broadcasts

HerdFans.com

Redd: Marshall thinks outside the cable box for broadcasts
    « on: September 24, 2017, 08:40:08 AM »

Offline elginherd

Re: Redd: Marshall thinks outside the cable box for broadcasts
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:05:08 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have not posted much criticism of MH, BUT

This article would have described a forward-thinking strategy that may have only been slightly ground-breaking 5 or 6 YEARS ago!!!

He, CUSA & CSTV should have been getting their streaming-sh#$ together back then. As an institution who has produced a number of alum who have made careers in broadcasting, MARSHALL should have been on the forefront of what any idiot would see as the future of TV,  NOT sucking hind tit.

The over-the-air broadcast apparently did not have some of the same issues as the stream; but the broadcast was amateur (3) hour(s). WTF!!!

The fact, that on any given Saturday, I can view D-II streams of FB games that live up to professional standards and we can't have the same with MU in 2017 is inexcusable.
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 04:13:30 PM by elginherd »
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, Apollo, The E-Man, Herdfan2005, beau42m

Offline whf

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • Kudos to Marshall and hamrick. whether driven to this or otherwise, they took the bull by the horns.

Offline ed swain

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 03:17:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would rather see a game on tv with poor quality than a game on the iPad.Why could we not stay where we were last year with all games being televised.i assume it was screwdriver up by Conf USA.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 03:29:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would rather see a game on tv with poor quality than a game on the iPad.Why could we not stay where we were last year with all games being televised.i assume it was screwdriver up by Conf USA.

Nowadays it's pretty easy to display a stream on your TV. In fact many ESPN3 streams are of noticeably higher quality than Comcast's HD cable feeds to the house.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 03:35:16 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Keep polishing the Tidd that is our tv package Mike.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 05:01:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have not posted much criticism of MH, BUT

This article would have described a forward-thinking strategy that may have only been slightly ground-breaking 5 or 6 YEARS ago!!!

He, CUSA & CSTV should have been getting their streaming-sh#$ together back then. As an institution who has produced a number of alum who have made careers in broadcasting, MARSHALL should have been on the forefront of what any idiot would see as the future of TV,  NOT sucking hind tit.

The over-the-air broadcast apparently did not have some of the same issues as the stream; but the broadcast was amateur (3) hour(s). WTF!!!

The fact, that on any given Saturday, I can view D-II streams of FB games that live up to professional standards and we can't have the same with MU in 2017 is inexcusable.

Damn good post! What I don't understand, why haven't MH called on our very own Dan Shoemaker? Shoe should be paid as a "special consultant for Herd sports". I guarantee you, If Shoe was taking care of this, we would have quality broadcast's. All Herd game's in both football and basketball would be accessible in your living room and smart phone.
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:53:32 PM by The E-Man »

Offline whf

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Once again, I'm glad we went from no outlet to one we own and will perfect with time.  Good job MU.

It's easy to watch on TV, just connect your internet feed to a TV input, sit back and relax.

The following users thanked this post: Big City

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Damn good post! What I don't understand, why haven't MH called on our very own Dan Shoemaker? Shoe should be paid as a "special consultant for Herd sports". I guarantee you, If Show was taking care of this, we would have quality broadcast's. All Herd game's in both football and basketball would be accessible in your living room and smart phone.

EMan, not sure what more MH could do.  We spent $500k on equipment, putting in a production area or whatever he called it and are working on the kinks to make the product work.  I am very pleased with this effort. I don’t get back for many hoops games and this will allow me to watch all the home games. CUSA is just the one that had I renew at the wrong time.  Other conferences namely G5 will suffer too. Should we have done it sooner?  Probably so but did we have the money then?  I know for a fact the goal is ESPn3 quality broadcasts and to me that is exciting for basketball and other sports.  Unfortunately we had some hiccups with the Kent St game but from what I saw of the TV side of things the picture was awesome quality.  Of course I saw it on TVs in the stadium on a TV.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2

Offline Big City

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 07:19:51 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Once again, I'm glad we went from no outlet to one we own and will perfect with time.  Good job MU.

It's easy to watch on TV, just connect your internet feed to a TV input, sit back and relax.

This is the thing I think a lot of fans are overlooking. The product will continue to improve. Sit back, relax and enjoy more things Marshall than you've ever been able to before. This goes WAY beyond football.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, lexkyherdfan, biggreenarms

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • EMan, not sure what more MH could do.  We spent $500k on equipment, putting in a production area or whatever he called it and are working on the kinks to make the product work.  I am very pleased with this effort. I don’t get back for many hoops games and this will allow me to watch all the home games. CUSA is just the one that had I renew at the wrong time.  Other conferences namely G5 will suffer too. Should we have done it sooner?  Probably so but did we have the money then?  I know for a fact the goal is ESPn3 quality broadcasts and to me that is exciting for basketball and other sports.  Unfortunately we had some hiccups with the Kent St game but from what I saw of the TV side of things the picture was awesome quality.  Of course I saw it on TVs in the stadium on a TV.

Did you not read what I said, very carefully? Dan Shoemaker is as valuable of cable sports expert as you'll ever get. Why not use his expertise? You said, you're not sure what more MH can do, bringing Shoemaker on board would make a world of difference.

What I don't understand, why haven't MH called on our very own Dan Shoemaker? Shoe should be paid as a "special consultant for Herd sports". I guarantee you, If Show was taking care of this, we would have quality broadcast's. All Herd game's in both football and basketball would be accessible in your living room and smart phone.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Offline elginherd

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 07:47:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • EMan, not sure what more MH could do.  We spent $500k on equipment, putting in a production area or whatever he called it and are working on the kinks to make the product work.  I am very pleased with this effort. I don’t get back for many hoops games and this will allow me to watch all the home games. CUSA is just the one that had I renew at the wrong time.  Other conferences namely G5 will suffer too. Should we have done it sooner?  Probably so but did we have the money then?  I know for a fact the goal is ESPn3 quality broadcasts and to me that is exciting for basketball and other sports.  Unfortunately we had some hiccups with the Kent St game but from what I saw of the TV side of things the picture was awesome quality.  Of course I saw it on TVs in the stadium on a TV.

My point was & is: MU should have been set up YEARS ago to stream. Why could I watch Coastal vs. Winthrop 3 years ago, BUT NOT THE HERD!!!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 07:47:02 PM »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 07:48:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is the thing I think a lot of fans are overlooking. The product will continue to improve. Sit back, relax and enjoy more things Marshall than you've ever been able to before. This goes WAY beyond football.

Big, the product should have been brought up to standard years ago.

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Heisman
    « Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 08:55:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • My point was & is: MU should have been set up YEARS ago to stream. Why could I watch Coastal vs. Winthrop 3 years ago, BUT NOT THE HERD!!!!!

Evidently you didn’t read what I said....I kindly noted it probably should have been done sooner but maybe we didn’t have the money.  Has anybody asked that question or just speculated on here?  Hell we can’t get 3500 big green members according to the program I saw at the beginning of the season yet we should have magically came up with $500k to do this right.  I find it hilarious we have something positive yet some still complain.  I honestly swear someone could win $50M and promise to donate $1m and some Would complain it isn’t $2M.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 09:22:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Noted Lexky. I don't mean to start one of these flame-wars...but conference wide & MU specifically (as an institution who has had a strong broadcasting program) the 1/2 mil per school should have been a priority.

To the article's point: the "thinking outside of the box" in this case means "catching up with what much smaller programs, FCS & D-II conferences have been doing for years". And I mean years. No excuse.

Add to this: 2 or 3 years ago while we were residing in SW GA, I spent the $10 or so for a month to be able to stream CUSA (Herd) sports. Guess what? Damn near every stream that didn't have WKU had very poor picture Q, often freezing, stuttering, and was often based on on the home team's 'fan-cam'...meaning while live action was going on, the stream (and the Herd's was as bad about this as anyone) was showing the band, fans clowning or some random girl in the stands.

Sorry, but "Herdvision" so far is the same old bullsh$# by most accounts.
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:22:53 PM by elginherd »

Offline bighat

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am 67 years old and I work with technology all the time but my grandchildren at 3 years old are better at it than me.  What does this have to do with this post?  Younger people are viewing everything on their phones or ipads.  I was an officer of a national sports organization and this was driven into us by our sponsors all the time.  This is a wave of the future.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is a wave of the future.

And the point elgin is making is that this is NOT the wave of the future... this was the wave of the future 5-10 years ago.  Streaming shows and events on online services, today, is as mainstream as terrestrial or cable broadcasts.  For Fox's new show which premier 2 weeks ago (The Orville), they had 16 million viewers for its premier:  8.1 million watched on their local Fox affiliate or the other rated satellite channel, and the other 7.9 million show viewers came form streaming services.  We are living in the final days where the majority of entertainment viewing is done on traditional broadcast channels rather than through streams.  I think there's a little bit of calling out these releases and media for calling this cutting edge when its now ordinarily commonplace.

I would ask - if people from Marshall AD do read this - since there are a variety of services broadcasting games this year - Facebook, Stadium, BeIN, HerdVision via CUSA.tv, ESPN3 - I think this information should be prominently displayed on HerdZone.com each week and gameday... like, practically front, center, and top.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:19:12 AM by CoachMaclid »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, elginherd

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know for a fact the goal is ESPn3 quality broadcasts and to me that is exciting for basketball and other sports. 

Not sure why they don't just stream it on ESPN3 then. Like every other conference that has a deal with ESPN does, at minimum.

I hate to use the old "slow dime, fast nickel" phrase so many here remember, but that appears to be what Marshall is doing with Herdvision. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd think more money would be made in the long run from creating new fans who can easily access every game on ESPN3 at worst than would be made from squeezing more money out of the fans we've got for Herdvision.
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:20:22 PM by MUsince96 »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, The E-Man

Offline svherd

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure why they don't just stream it on ESPN3 then. Like every other conference that has a deal with ESPN does, at minimum.

I hate to use the old "slow dime, fast nickel" phrase so many here remember, but that appears to be what Marshall is doing with Herdvision. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd think more money would be made in the long run from creating new fans who can easily access every game on ESPN3 at worst than would be made from squeezing more money out of the fans we've got for Herdvision.

It's easier to milk the current fan base than attempt to develop and bring new ones in the fold. That would actually require planning and thought - you know, work.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 12:47:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I probably wouldn't be a fan today had it not been for the 90's-00's equivalent of ESPN3, ESPN+. If I had to order Marshall games from PPV (that times equivalent to HerdVision) I wouldn't have ever watched them. Exposure then turned into money from me now for Marshall.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline bighat

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 12:55:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach for my generation this is a wave of the future and that was my point.

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Heisman
    « Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 01:18:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure why they don't just stream it on ESPN3 then. Like every other conference that has a deal with ESPN does, at minimum.

I can't answer that question as I don't know the answer.  I would suggest writing MH and asking him.  He has always emailed back when I have emailed him as well as others.

I do know back in the day when alot of our games were broadcast on ESPN Gameplan/ESPN+ with Keith and Sonny calling the games, I paid $100 a year for PPV to watch the games then as they were only on locally in WV.  If I can pay for a quality product on Herdvision and get to watch games I won't complain.  Does it suck to have to pay?  Sure but at least we get some revenue since our TV contract sucks.  At the same time I would be happy for them to be on ESPN3 as well and not have to pay as I also see the benefits there.  I would love to have something to watch for free as much as the next person.  I am just not going to get overly upset at it if I have to pay to watch the hoops games all season as long as the product is worth it and based on what I have been told that is the goal.

The following users thanked this post: MUsince96, herdfifteen

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 01:18:53 PM »

Offline Big City

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 01:22:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If HerdVision was free people would still gripe and complain.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: SuperAnjario

Offline Apollo

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If HerdVision was free people would still gripe and complain.

I haven't seen it, just hearing what everyone else has said, but yeah, if it's a bad product why wouldn't they?

Offline svherd

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 03:48:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't Dan start or work for SportsSouth back in the day. That's when you watch the Herd on the tube every Saturday. That's how we built the brand and was a great recruiting tool for Donnan.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 03:48:33 PM »