Author Topic: Does anyone recall why we don't "love" TCU?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline cincyherd

Does anyone recall why we don't "love" TCU?
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was going through the games on the tube this afternoon and TCU vs OSU caught my eye.  I don't like TCU and was trying to remember the circumstances why I don't like them.  Does this sound right?

The attack on 9/11 took place on a Tuesday.  We opened at #1 Florida 12 days prior to 9/11.  I think we had a by week 2.
     Saturday after 9/11 we were to play at TCU but all US air space was closed for a week or so  We didn't play the TCU game that year.  It was a 1 and 1 with them.  They were to come to Huntington the next year.  They didn't come to Huntington.

My question is why they didn't come to the Joan.

I think they wanted us to go to their place the following year and play the first game.  We wanted to play the game in Huntington as scheduled, and reschedule the first game..  I know there were "hard feelings" between the two schools over this and neither game was played.

Does anyone know the details of why the series didn't happen?
    Goherd!!!
    « Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:38:35 PM by cincyherd »

HerdFans.com

Does anyone recall why we don't "love" TCU?
    « on: September 23, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »

Offline MUther

Re: Does anyone recall why we don't "love" TCU?
    « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:37:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's about the size of it.  If we went there first the next year it killed our home schedule and shorted us.  Them coming here was business as usual but they got greedy and tried to leverage the attack to get an extra home game.  They would have probably cancelled after we went there anyway if we'd decided to go there first.  They didn't want any part of us in 2001 or 2002, I know that much.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline cincyherd

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:12:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks  I still pull for whomever is playing them.  Even WVU.
    GoHerd!!!

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 12:27:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    GoHerd!!!

I still cheer for Texas Cowards University to lose, but I can't go that far.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 02:21:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Careful y'all.

I have been shouted down repeatedly for this stance. Even Dan Shoemaker chimed in with a lengthy post defending the actions of TCU.
    I bought none of it, they wanted no part of facing an experienced Firin' Byron in my little mind.

One poster even asked why I "make stuff up" with written talk similar to your ideas about the shaft we got from TCU. I didn't bother to reply and my stance remains unchanged.

p2m
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:23:01 AM by parshall2marshall »
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 02:26:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    GoHerd!!!

Not me, I hate the errdiots! If they played Criami, I'd be cheering for the Red Hawks to win that's how much I hate them!

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 02:35:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Get some sleep E-man !

The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: SouthernHerd, The E-Man

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 08:14:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Realistically, I think I dislike them because things happened for the that didn't happen for us. In 2000 we were even or even slightly ahead of them as a program. Yes, it's plain old jealousy, but there it is. The same could be said for UCF.  Despite what others will say, it wasn't Kayos fault, it was an exposure of underlying factors that have hampered us to this day and will likely continue to in the future. They have money and resources, we don't.  Which doesn't mean we can't field a football team at times that can beat them.
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:17:38 AM by bbcard1 »

The following users thanked this post: Herdfan2005

Online elginherd

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • USPAM vs. The Third Reich? I'd have a hard time rooting for USPAM.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Realistically, I think I dislike them because things happened for the that didn't happen for us. In 2000 we were even or even slightly ahead of them as a program. Yes, it's plain old jealousy, but there it is. The same could be said for UCF.  Despite what others will say, it wasn't Kayos fault, it was an exposure of underlying factors that have hampered us to this day and will likely continue to in the future. They have money and resources, we don't.  Which doesn't mean we can' field a football team at times that can beat them.

+1 That is it right there. No conspiracy. We just wish we had made better decisions that others made.

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 01:20:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • +1 That is it right there. No conspiracy. We just wish we had made better decisions that others made.

I agree, but we just didn't have the gunpowder. You can choose to date a movie star, but....

Offline cincyherd

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So Kayo told TCU "never mind" like he told Tennessee and (which other P5 team did he let off the hook from coming to Huntington?),  and backing out on us going to LSU.

Kayo letting the TCU series not happen is the part of the story I didn't know about (or not remember).  But still it sounds like they used the 9/11 attack to get out of come to Huntington.
    I still always pull against them.  They still have the same coach.
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:47:21 PM by cincyherd »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I find it somewhat funny that people have all the negative vibes towards Liberty U. and their apparent bid to get into CUSA, mainly due to the ultra conservative nature of their religious leadership.  But apparently the same people will look the way when the holier than thou Baptists at Baylor ran the sleaziest, anti female football program around and then tried to cover it all up with all their reams of church money.  If truth be known, probably a lot of similar crap going on at the "esteemed" church affiliated school in Fort Worth (TCU).

Oh, and for all you younger folks in the crowd, this kind of stuff among the esteemed religious affiliated universities is NOT NEW.  Go back and look about 30 years or so ago at the blatant, corrupt culture of cheating that went on at the vaunted Methodist institution in Dallas, TX:  SMU.  Read up on all the cheating, $$$ payoffs, etc., that went on when future pro players like Eric Dickerson and Craig James were leading the Mustangs to the top of the college football world, while the school's administration and alums in high political offices in Texas attempted to cover up the whole mess!

Offline herdgameplan

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MH lets start scheduling the Big 12 teams again and kick some of the Poultie conference members!

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 10:31:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bob Marcum joined the Marshall athletic department July 1, 2002.  The TCU situation already happened by then.

If you'll recall, everyone got to schedule 12 games in 2002 except Marshall couldn't find a replacement for TCU.

Others will know more about the inner-workings of that but regardless of fault, we suffered because of it.

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 05:14:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you'll recall, everyone got to schedule 12 games in 2002 except Marshall couldn't find a replacement for TCU.

In 2002, Marshall scheduled and played 12 games plus a bowl game, in which we soundly defeated Louisville. We went 11-2, how did we suffer from it?

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 07:26:10 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • In 2002, Marshall scheduled and played 12 games plus a bowl game, in which we soundly defeated Louisville. We went 11-2, how did we suffer from it?

I’m sure there’s someone who will remember more clearly than me. But we ended up scheduling a real dud of an opponent because we couldn’t reschedule a similar quality opponent. We felt going into the season we were going to be good and we believed we could beat anyone we played back then. We suffered because we were building a program and were denied an opportunity to show we belonged on the national stage.

Second, we suffered financially. Had the Cowards showed we would have drawn a huge crowd. Attendance and therefore $ would have been through the roof. AS it was we had to pay a money game for a lower tier school (I think it was a smaller West Virginia type school) to come and play a one and done game. Needless to say, attendance at the game was far less than it would have been against the Texas Cowards.

So, we lost money and we lost prestige.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline dshoe

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 07:36:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Bob Marcum joined the Marshall athletic department July 1, 2002.  The TCU situation already happened by then.

If you'll recall, everyone got to schedule 12 games in 2002 except Marshall couldn't find a replacement for TCU.

Others will know more about the inner-workings of that but regardless of fault, we suffered because of it.

Lance West was the AD

The issues with TCU were "self-inflicted" and should not be blamed on TCU, period!

MU defeated ECU in the GMAC Bowl to end the season.

Certainly a shame that we didn't play the TCU series, but the tragedy of 9/11 and issues within the athletic department on how the messaging was handled, caused the series to be cancelled. 
    « Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:46:55 AM by dshoe »

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, The E-Man

Offline dshoe

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • I’m sure there’s someone who will remember more clearly than me. But we ended up scheduling a real dud of an opponent because we couldn’t reschedule a similar quality opponent. We felt going into the season we were going to be good and we believed we could beat anyone we played back then. We suffered because we were building a program and were denied an opportunity to show we belonged on the national stage.

Second, we suffered financially. Had the Cowards showed we would have drawn a huge crowd. Attendance and therefore $ would have been through the roof. AS it was we had to pay a money game for a lower tier school (I think it was a smaller West Virginia type school) to come and play a one and done game. Needless to say, attendance at the game was far less than it would have been against the Texas Cowards.

So, we lost money and we lost prestige.

I remember it very clearly:

I scheduled the series between MU and TCU.  Lance West was the AD at MU and Eric Hyman (formerly at Furman, VMI and Miami, O) was the AD at TCU.  Bob Pruett was at MU and Fran Franchione was the HC at TCU, I met with all four on multiple occasions both in Huntington and in Dallas/Fort Worth and with Coach Fran in Houston to get the games finalized.  Unfortunately the communications between the two schools during the period after the attack on 9/11 led to some very hard feelings and the games were cancelled.  I was not a part of those discussions as I was "stranded" in Puerto Rico during the attacks and the aftermath ...... but I was a "briefed" by both sides following the discussions.  It was unfortunate that we could not salvage the relationship.

I was deeply involved with both programs during this period and felt like a series would be beneficial to both, and both Coach Pruett and Coach Fran were excited to play the games, good example though of how personalities and management styles can get in the way of a good idea.  There was nothing sinister, no deep dark conspiracy, just a misunderstanding initiated by an poorly thought-out and poorly worded communication during a time of incredibly high stress in the country, prior to the NCAA stepping in and properly (in my opinion) cancelling  all games that weekend.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Flat Tire 2, The E-Man

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In 2002, Marshall scheduled and played 12 games plus a bowl game, in which we soundly defeated Louisville. We went 11-2, how did we suffer from it?

Marshall played in the MAC championship game for 12 and bowl for 13.

With a Top 20-25 team that had a Hesiman Trophy candidate who had one fewer game to play than he would have.

So you are wrong.

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 09:34:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lance West was the AD

The issues with TCU were "self-inflicted" and should not be blamed on TCU, period!

MU picked up a late season game with Youngstown State (I believe this is accurate) to fill the void left by the TCU cancellation

MU defeated ECU in the GMAC Bowl to end the season.

Certainly a shame that we didn't play the TCU series, but the tragedy of 9/11 and issues within the athletic department on how the messaging was handled, caused the series to be cancelled.

All of this is correct for 2001.  I was looking beyond that and the affect for 2002, when TCU was originally scheduled to play at Marshall. That game was not replaced.

Offline NerdHaitian

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 09:37:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • There is no scientific evidence to indicate that frogs favor any religion, much less Christianity, where they are considered a plague.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 09:37:22 AM »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 10:31:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is no scientific evidence to indicate that frogs favor any religion, much less Christianity, where they are considered a plague.

What the H does this have to do with the topic, or any other topic for that matter?

Offline MarshallManiac

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 10:37:19 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

Woah woah woah...you can't tell them that Marcum wasn't at fault. That doesn't fit the narrative.

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Marshall played in the MAC championship game for 12 and bowl for 13.

With a Top 20-25 team that had a Hesiman Trophy candidate who had one fewer game to play than he would have.

So you are wrong.

I see now, you are correct about the number of games played. We lost to the one power team we played and we lost to Akron. Byron lost nothing as he got his 1st round draft pick, we won the MAC and we beat Louisville in the bowl. No loss suffered there. There was nothing lost so big that it can still be referenced 15 years later. We had a great year and were rewarded for it. We could have played and lost to TCU which would have been a negative on the year. No sinister conspiracies, no significant loss.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »