Author Topic: RB Trey Rodriguez leaves Marshall  (Read 3997 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
Re: RB Trey Rodriguez leaves Marshall
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 06:31:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Revolving door

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 06:31:49 PM »

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 07:56:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He was struggling.  Guys could be promises starting and significant roles and then when they are benched instead or not playing they feel cheated and leave.  It's recruiting.

This is a I told you so before the year.

Offline Apollo

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 08:01:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WRONG.

1.  Here is the link to Doc's pre-NC St press conference.  Pay special attention at 14:08 ("Tyler King will be back.  Definitely be back."), 15:00 ("Gotta run the ball.  We'll get King back."), and 15:50 ("We'll be more explosive with King.  He should be back."):

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/multimedia/local_videos/video-doc-holliday-press-conference---pre-n-c/youtube_9c42e436-93ca-11e7-b592-67a735d6143f.html
    Careful now, can't be using facts to prove John's incompetence.

The following users thanked this post: goherd24

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 08:31:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Believe I read family had problems in Florida perhaps with hurricane...

Team doesn't make those kind of announcements so those who jump to their pre programmed responses may want to check their facts from someone close to the team or the players.

It's really easy to see a guy who dropped down the chart from starter to 3rd in and had left a previous program to go JUCO, then family had problems to chuck it all & head back to Florida.

There's a number of folks who jump at each one to blame the coaches first before anyone has some kind of direct knowledge.

Like many, I have not been fond of game plans for running up the left, then right then passing when everyone East or West of the Mississippi knows it's coming. But there's also a time to step back and wait for better data.
    Then there's a group who wait to see better info before judgement.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 09:00:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • There's a number of folks who jump at each one to blame the coaches first before anyone has some kind of direct knowledge.

Then there's a group who wait to see better info before judgement.

I'm not going to apologize for jumping first, because all (the attrition that has taken place under Doc.) There's no way you can deny that. Had this been just a one time thing, Herd fans would have probably been assuming something else came up, such as family issues!  You can't blame Herd fans for being edgy when a player leaves.

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MicDrass1, do you know for fact that 's the case with Doc and staff, that they make promises they can't possibly control?  i could care less about defending anyone i don't personally know but i just don't see it in Doc

i suspect most are in it for only fb, that edu is only a second thought and they won't pursue edu without fb, starting or playing a specific position they want

No. Just a hunch.  Think about Rodriguez.  He was a juco, when he got here he took over 1st string without a competition.  Id say he was promised to start.  Then Davis comes into game 1 lights it up.  Now Rodriguez is a ?   Game 2 Rodriguez ineffective and Davis again shines.  Game 3 the pressure to win is enormous and Coach Holliday has to move in a different direction at rb bc the offense run game isn't producing.  Benches rodriguez, he's pissed bc now king has produced in a close game in limited touches and he leaves.  Guy should have had to compete from day 1 instead of being named the starter from day 1 from a juco.  I get it run game stunk last year any rb we bring in is better type thing. Promise them a start to get them here bc we are desperate.  Smells like a promised starting role to me.  But it happens everywhere.  It's recruiting.  You find a player who you think is better than you have but when the lights come on the old vet proves to be better. 
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:19:04 PM by MicDrass1 »

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 10:15:14 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • I'm not going to apologize for jumping first, because all (the attrition that has taken place under Doc.) There's no way you can deny that. Had this been just a one time thing, Herd fans would have probably been assuming something else came up, such as family issues!  You can't blame Herd fans for being edgy when a player leaves.

E-Man, no offense intended, but jumping first to me equals shoot first aim second or shoot first ask questions later.  I prefer the learn the facts first, then if they add to the attrition issue, so be it.

From Doug Smocks article in the  most recent article, I think he agrees with you. Paint the coaches with blame each time someone leaves even if they were not to blame.

Sorry, I take the other path, that doesn't mean I am happy with the number who have left nor the production of the offense, nor the offensive game plan.

Just tired of shoot the coaches at first sign of any issue. At 2W & 1L, and potential for decent season...it gets tiring to hear - read the shoot first ask questions later posts.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 11:58:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• E-Man, no offense intended, but jumping first to me equals shoot first aim second or shoot first ask questions later.  I prefer the learn the facts first, then if they add to the attrition issue, so be it.

From Doug Smocks article in the  most recent article, I think he agrees with you. Paint the coaches with blame each time someone leaves even if they were not to blame.

Sorry, I take the other path, that doesn't mean I am happy with the number who have left nor the production of the offense, nor the offensive game plan.

Just tired of shoot the coaches at first sign of any issue. At 2W & 1L, and potential for decent season...it gets tiring to hear - read the shoot first ask questions later posts.

Just so that you know, ( I have great respect for you, and your opinion's!). I honestly would prefer a player leaving not be an issue. As a Herd fan, I'm just so "beat down" with this administration all the way down to Doc. I haven't seen anything remotely to believe we're headed in the right direction. Does that make sense to you, were I'm coming from? Hell, we had one of best teams a few years ago "ranked" and couldn't even get "serious consideration for an access bowl" As fans we need to "demand a better product" and not cater to the "powers that be" I know a lot fans get close with a coach, the ad and they feel like they aren't being loyal if they decide to speak the truth about a program. It's always good to have an open dialog talk about the state of our program.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, wasbarryb

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 04:54:04 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • No. Just a hunch.  Think about Rodriguez.  He was a juco, when he got here he took over 1st string without a competition.  Id say he was promised to start.  Then Davis comes into game 1 lights it up.  Now Rodriguez is a ?   Game 2 Rodriguez ineffective and Davis again shines.  Game 3 the pressure to win is enormous and Coach Holliday has to move in a different direction at rb bc the offense run game isn't producing.  Benches rodriguez, he's pissed bc now king has produced in a close game in limited touches and he leaves.  Guy should have had to compete from day 1 instead of being named the starter from day 1 from a juco.  I get it run game stunk last year any rb we bring in is better type thing. Promise them a start to get them here bc we are desperate.  Smells like a promised starting role to me.  But it happens everywhere.  It's recruiting.  You find a player who you think is better than you have but when the lights come on the old vet proves to be better.

And a very possible "hunch" indeed I would guess. I don't consider TR much of a loss because he didn't have the burst to make the initial break-away to get away from defenders, even a solid MAC set of defenders. It seems possible if not likely that there might have been some kind of promise there. Didn't we see this kind of thing play out before i.e. the RB who struggled and then transferred to FCS Montana a few years ago ? Leading to much head-scratching.

You just can't have a head coach promising a starter role to anyone, except maybe a Randy Moss or AB, IMO.

We've got a solid set of RB and guys with great 'tudes that we could use like Pittman and Foster if absolutely have to, probably without too much of a performance hit, except that Ty King and KD seem to be on fire right now.

p2m
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: Apollo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 04:54:04 AM »