Author Topic: Passing yards per attempt  (Read 1416 times)

Offline banker

Passing yards per attempt
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:33:03 PM »
  • [Like]5
  • [Dislike]0
  • Made a post in the winning is all that matters thread and started wondering if my mind was remembering correctly, so I checked the stats.  Below is a list of multiple year starting QBs and their average yards per attempt for their career.

Litton - 6.86
    Cato - 7.43
    Anderson - 6.39
    Morris - 6.75
    Leftwich - 8.24
    Pennington 8.51

To me, the number to strive for to have offensive effiency is 8.0 yards per attempt.  if you break down seasons and lump them by YPA ranges, you get this for W/L records

8.0 + YPA - 58-8, 5 seasons, 5 championships
    7.00 - 7.99 YPA - 46-41, 7 seasons, 1 championship
    6.99 - - 53-48, 9 seasons, 0 championships

The point to all this is that to average 8 yards per attempt you have to do one of two things, throw the ball downfield or complete a remarkably high percentage of your passes.  Pennington did both, Leftwich threw the ball downfield, and Cato had great short and intermediate accuracy.  Cato was at 8.65 his senior year, he threw for less yards, but was much more efficient. That compares favorable to Leftwich' senior year at 8.69 (jr year 8.79 for Lefty), but not quite other worldly Pennington at 9.5 his senior year.

In order for Litton to get to 8 YPA, in our offense, he needs to complete right at 70%. That's why our offense is not working efficiently.

HerdFans.com

Passing yards per attempt
    « on: September 21, 2017, 10:33:03 PM »

Offline herdgameplan

Re: Passing yards per attempt
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:36:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Get this to Doc and Legg!!!

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Made a post in the winning is all that matters thread and started wondering if my mind was remembering correctly, so I checked the stats.  Below is a list of multiple year starting QBs and their average yards per attempt for their career.

Litton - 6.86
    Cato - 7.43
    Anderson - 6.39
    Morris - 6.75
    Leftwich - 8.24

Pennington 8.51

To me, the number to strive for to have offensive effiency is 8.0 yards per attempt.  if you break down seasons and lump them by YPA ranges, you get this for W/L records

The point to all this is that to average 8 yards per attempt you have to do one of two things, throw the ball downfield or complete a remarkably high percentage of your passes.  Pennington did both, Leftwich threw the ball downfield, and Cato had great short and intermediate accuracy.  Cato was at 8.65 his senior year, he threw for less yards, but was much more efficient. That compares favorable to Leftwich' senior year at 8.69 (jr year 8.79 for Lefty), but not quite other worldly Pennington at 9.5 his senior year.

In order for Litton to get to 8 YPA, in our offense, he needs to complete right at 70%. That's why our offense is not working efficiently.

Great post.  Really awesome stuff. 

Dink and dunk doesn't work unless you are in position for Yac and high completion percentage. 
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:44:12 PM by MicDrass1 »

Offline Apollo

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We can't get yac bc we try to run bubble screens without any bubble.

The following users thanked this post: Big City

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:04:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Banker, I'm anointing you as the Herd's official statistician!:)

The following users thanked this post: Apollo

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:07:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We can't get yac bc we try to run bubble screens without any bubble.

Yeah, our bubble has busted in the seams, LOL, :)

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 01:28:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Litton - 6.86
    Cato - 7.43
    Anderson - 6.39
    Morris - 6.75
    Leftwich - 8.24
    Pennington 8.51

This is fantastic information and the kind of stats within the stats that I love.. Great post!!

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 04:06:57 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great stuff, I predict your stats will show up in a sports column. Just a hunch.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan, Big City, wasbarryb, The E-Man

Offline MUonium

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 06:59:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • good job.  interesting stat, i wouldn't have necessarily thought it would correlate to win-loss record.  now, i'm curious as to which downs saw the most pass plays and furthermore, what was the average to-go yardage.   

anyway, i think we have some speed at WR and that hopefully, we'll get better with technique and coaching routes--but opponents corners/secondaries will also get better.
    a little surprising, Litton's had decent pass protection for the most part...but someone who watches replays might look at how long that protection is good before breaking down. 
    they're holding their own on pass designed plays but why is the OL not getting enough push on run designed plays...inexperience, technique, size, level of athleticism??

people get a little tired of the sideline shorts, but i watched Temple throw the first intermediate over the middle last night and it got picked...but USF is pretty good

Offline elginherd

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 11:32:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good job Banker...

YPA has been used in the NFL for years as a truer measure of passing efficiency, comparable to slugging percentage in baseball.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Litton - 6.86
    Cato - 7.43
    Anderson - 6.39
    Morris - 6.75
    Leftwich - 8.24
    Pennington 8.51

Great post.  Makes so much sense.  Hopefully, a light goes off in Legg's head.

Offline banker

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just to add one more layer.  If the only stat I give you is YPA and you ignore defense, special teams, running game, everything else, I can pretty much tell you what your record looks like.  There will be a few exceptions, such as UMass, which has a 8+ YPA and a 0-4 record, but it is the best single indicator outside of maybe points allowed per game.

Here are the season results so far:

There are 11 teams that have a YPA of 10 yards plus currently. Those teams are a combined 29-2, 9 of the 11 are undefeated.

There are currently 10 teams that have a YPA between 9.0 and 9.99.  Those teams are a combined 21-8.

There are currently 20 teams that have a YPA of 8.0 to 8.99.  Those teams are a combined 40-19.

So if you add those up, teams with a YPA of 8 or greater are a combined 90-29. A winning percentage of 76%.
    « Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:18:33 PM by banker »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »

Offline sleeinwv

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How much would those averages drop if you got rid of the YAC numbers.   

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 11:42:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great post.  Makes so much sense.  Hopefully, a light goes off in Legg's head.

I don't that will happen. A leopard can't change its spots.  He and Doc are as stubborn as they come. 
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline clovenhoof

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 02:00:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Get this to Doc and Legg!!!
    Wouldn't matter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

"Oh just calm down and write that check for the Vision Campaign..."  Thundering In MD

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

HerdFans.com

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 02:00:28 PM »